Is Ole’s ultimate objective to protect his job rather than win the title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RashyForPM

We have not won against any top six team and we have never set up to attack them. Case in point, playing McTominay in place of an attacker all the time. We have not scored against Arsenal and Arteta in three attempts. It just seems like Ole is managing to consolidate our position in the top 4 rather than win the title. Not qualifying for the Champions League would mean Ole out for sure and he is unlikely to get a job at another top club.

Bojan11

Even if we attacked them, we still have Martial and Rashford stinking up the place. Not signing a right winger last year was always going to be our downfall.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Of course it is. As it would be for any other manager. If you know that 4th spot leaves you on the bench of one of biggest clubs in the world; what would you do? Risk that? Yeah, right.
He knows. Give me 3 points against smaller teams, point against big and it is enough for 4th spot (and soon for new contract)

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Of course it is. As it would be for any other manager. If you know that 4th spot leaves you on the bench of one of biggest clubs in the world; what would you do? Risk that? Yeah, right.
He knows. Give me 3 points against smaller teams, point against big and it is enough for 4th spot (and soon for new contract)
Please no.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Isn’t any managers ultimate goal to protect their job?

He answers to his bosses, who probably set him the target of top 4, so he probably very happy with where we are. We got excited about a potential title race that truth be told was never on the cards.

We were a year or 2 premature with the title race, but if you look at our squad, are Lindelof, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, McTominay & Martial good enough to be starters in a league challenging team? Probably not. Even Rashford this season can be added to that list. De Gea, Maguire & Pogba have their moments of madness too. You can carry 1 or 2 but if half your starting eleven isn’t good enough you’re probably going to fall away. I think we have legit title winning depth at left back & attacking midfield , but the rest of the squad is still several transfer windows behind City.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

I don't think he does it thinking about protecting his job. I think he genuinely thinks its the best way, however I dont know why he thinks that since it's been proven time and time again that its not.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surely winning the title is the utlimate way to keep his job!?

"No lads, don't attack, let's keep this nice and tight at 0-0, that'll keep us top 4"

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know how not winning against top 6 would be an attempt at keeping his job. I think that he is simply a conservative manager and we can see that in the vast majority of our games.

RashyForPM

Surely winning the title is the utlimate way to keep his job!?

"No lads, don't attack, let's keep this nice and tight at 0-0, that'll keep us top 4"
Yeah but winning the title means taking more risks, and taking more risks increases the possibility of no top 4 and the sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.