Is Paul Pogba being bullied and harassed on TV

diarm

I'd have more of an issue with the way people speak about the bona finde legends and achievers of this club and how they're somehow not allowed an opinion, despite their first hand knowledge of what it takes to be a winner at this club to be honest.

I couldn't give two fecks how much Pogba cost or what wages he earns. I think he's just too inconsistent and unfocused a player to fulfill the role expected of him here.

I think he's indicative of the lack of true character and personality that makes up our squad and while I think he unfairly takes too much of the brunt as the most recognisable figure when the majority of our squad are equally as bad or worse, I still want to see the back of him.

People are too quick to write off the opinions of people like Neville and Keane. In 15 years time when City or Liverpool are in a dip, you'll see people giving out about guys like Henderson or Kompany, saying their time has passed and the game has moved on from their dinosaur beliefs about what it takes.

They'll be wrong as so many of our fans are now. Tactics and systems might change but personality, workrate and ownership of players own performances will always set the good sides apart from the bad.

We've had bad coaches and bad structures hamstringing the players and performances for a long time now, but that doesn't change the fact we've also had far too many pretenders filling our shirt, more interested in the nonsense of celebrity than the day to day intensity of being a winner.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
the difference is that one was our main assist man/goalscorer last season while the other has as many assists as Foster. Seriously the legend's attack on Pogba are beyond ridiculous. One must ask if they would do the same thing if Pogba was British or Irish.
Do you want to compare the negative stuff in the media that being said toward Pogba and Lingard, especially from our "legends" and take both their performance in context?
Lingard has received nothing but a free pass from pundits. Yes fans don't like him but do you think we fans are wrong. Pogba has received much worse from the pundits and that too for no reason.
Lingard is repeatedly slated and rinsed by many. Loads of pundits have started to take up the "he's still a young player" joke and have fed into the 'banter'. It doesn't matter how good one player is to another. There is no "Yeah but he's better than him" etc. nonsense when it comes to bullying or harrassment.

Both are bullied/harrassed by the media, pundits, fans and the toxicity of social media. Pogba for his inflated price and outwardness. Lingard for his lack of United ability compared to outwardness.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Lingard is repeatedly slated and rinsed by many. Loads of pundits have started to take up the "he's still a young player" joke and have fed into the 'banter'. It doesn't matter how good one player is to another. There is no "Yeah but he's better than him" etc. nonsense when it comes to bullying or harrassment.

Both are bullied/harrassed by the media, pundits, fans and the toxicity of social media.
Lingard is useless. He has been useless for more then a year now. Pogba on the other hand was our best player last season by a mile. Yet they are both criticised in the same way. I wonder why.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Cause the majority are racist to a degree, and senseless bile/hate sells news papers these days, basically all the rags care about. I don't see the reason for Keane or Neville as a pundit doing this as it comes across in a very negative way.
The same guys who praise the likes of James and McTominay... you don't know why they do it? They are also part of the media rag and Pogba is an easy target.
Every player and manager who has worked with him bar Jose say he is an ultimate professional, and some of the things Pogba does around carrington with younger players etc is exceptional.

Neville has embarked on a foreigners are the problem campaign with United for well over a year now too.

Art Vandelay

No, don't be ridiculous. He's a high profile player, a record signing and a huge disappointment. He's rocked the boat several times, his agent won't shut up, his brother won't shut up and he himself hasn't delivered at a huge club that's shat the bed in recent years. Of course he's going to get flack and a large amount of it. People paid to talk are going to talk.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Some of the criticism he gets are in my opinion because of the colour of his skin and his religious beliefs. That crap Jason maceteer said came with no facts and just guesses. The only players i see get that kind of treatment in the britsh media are black players.

Last edited:

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's the face of United, the club who invested a lot of money and time in him. For a very long time there's nothing to be seen from him, don't think he's even going to the stadium. Last time i can remember was that night in Paris. The time he stood in front of the cameras and said he can't speak or he's in trouble or the constant rumblings whether or not he's going to leave aren't helping his cause.

I was one of the few here who didn't want to let go during the summer, he's got a contract and all that, but probably next summer United should cut ties with him.
People are judging him differently because in contrast to someone like Lingard he's got real ability to do something big on the football pitch. Is it unfair?
I guess you can say that, but for me in in general Pogba as a person comes across a bit childish and unprofessional, so it's difficult to feel sorry for the guy.
He should have done a lot better and he probably knows it too.

Red_toad

The media has treated him like shit on their shoe since the day we signed him
Negative stuff about United sells. He’s our highest profile player.
United and it’s players always get the hardest ride off the media.
As for him being bullied and harassed, no not really. Questioning someone attitude, motivation and performances isn’t bullying.

Cassidy

As for him being bullied and harassed, no not really. Questioning someone attitude, motivation and performances isn’t bullying.
Attributing Uniteds on fields issues to him this season or even trying to connect them to him clearly is.
Questioning his attitude without evidence is too, calling him a nuisance without evidence is too

The Bloody-Nine

I sincerely hope some of you never are actually bullied and harassed. Because it will be an eye opener for you.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Lingard is useless. He has been useless for more then a year now. Pogba on the other hand was our best player last season by a mile. Yet they are both criticised in the same way. I wonder why.
I have no problems with players being judged by performance during a game or form over the season or their time at the club. That’s part of a pundits job... even then some players get off easily but favouritism exists everywhere.

My issue with the treatment of Pogba is that for over a year they’ve been attacking his personality and character often without evidence and even then the things they demonise him for are so trivial yet they exaggerate so much that it has become bullying.
singling them out week in week out for special criticism on live tv does become bullying. Especially when 10 connected pundits across several channels are doing it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The same guys who praise the likes of James and McTominay... you don't know why they do it? They are also part of the media rag and Pogba is an easy target.
Every player and manager who has worked with him bar Jose say he is an ultimate professional, and some of the things Pogba does around carrington with younger players etc is exceptional.

Neville has embarked on a foreigners are the problem campaign with United for well over a year now too.
I never seen De Gea get any abuse, maybe after a mistake but hes classified as one of the great Modern day United keepers, Valencia I never heard a bad word about, Martial despite blowing hot a cold doesn't catch much flack, Fred either tbh. None of them get the same treatment as Pogba, its just very odd that Pogba gets called a trouble maker and a nuisance, for no apparent reason.

pat dunne

I will believe that fans and pundits are indrediby biased against Pogba for some reason. I guess some it is it price tag and his agent. If I was Pogba I would head for sunnier and brighter destinations as well, if you being accused of feigning injury, I would feck off to Real Madrid and play for Zidane asap.
If I was Real Madrid and Zidane i would not make the mistake we made by bringing him or his agent anywhere near the club . The sooner hes moved on somewhere the better for all . A malign influence and a shocking role model to other players.

OL29

Yup, the media have moved on from Sterling as their favorite target to character assassinate after he called them out. Pogba's become their new lightning rod who gets blamed for any and everything and will remain so until he leaves.

The same lot will be waxing lyrical about how we're missing quality players like him once he's doing well elsewhere too
Crazy that some people can’t, or won’t see it.

Red_toad

Attributing Uniteds on fields issues to him this season or even trying to connect them to him clearly is.
Questioning his attitude without evidence is too, calling him a nuisance without evidence is too
He’s part of the team, he’s actually played for the team, so must hold some responsibility.
How do you know there no evidence? Him being pictured with Zidane is ever so slightly damning. Do you think his application and conduct has been helpful to his team mates?

Apokalips

He has been for a very long time and our fans have jumped on it with conspiracies and all sorts. It's disgraceful the lengths people go to blame him.

The club should publicly support him and turn it into an us vs them seige mentality thing the way Fergie would.

Cassidy

I never seen De Gea get any abuse, maybe after a mistake but hes classified as one of the great Modern day United keepers, Valencia I never heard a bad word about, Martial despite blowing hot a cold doesn't catch much flack, Fred either tbh. None of them get the same treatment as Pogba, its just very odd that Pogba gets called a trouble maker and a nuisance, for no apparent reason.
You are having a laugh if you think Martial doesn't catch flack :lol: :lol: If I have to listen to another pundit say he isn't a United level striker and Rashford being better as the number 9... sigh Or if I have to listen to another pundit say he doesn't look interested or call him lazy...

The press went after Martial because his misses had a baby for crying out load, thanks to your new manager.

Fred has got a lot of stick prior to recent times also, but mainly because he was not even playing games he was out of the spot light

Cassidy

He’s part of the team, he’s actually played for the team, so must hold some responsibility.
How do you know there no evidence? Him being pictured with Zidane is ever so slightly damning. Do you think his application and conduct has been helpful to his team mates?
To our performances when he is out injured, he must hold responsibility to why we lost to Liverpool when he wasn't there? :lol:

jackal&hyde

Yes!

I did not want to believe it when i first heard it expressed as an opinion but now i'm fairly certain it's actually racism. The all out assault on him this season when he didn't even play due to injury goes far bellow just not liking his play style, dancing and what not. I think England has a much more serious problem with racism then they thought and some of our ex players are part of that.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You are having a laugh if you think Martial doesn't catch flack :lol: :lol: If I have to listen to another pundit say he isn't a United level striker and Rashford being better as the number 9... sigh
Fred has got a lot of stick prior to recent times also, but mainly because he was not even playing games he was out of the spot light
Not to the same levels though? I get you think this is a race/nationality thing but personally I think its more to do with who his agent is more than anything.

redcafe_reader

Lingard is repeatedly slated and rinsed by many. Loads of pundits have started to take up the "he's still a young player" joke and have fed into the 'banter'.
You said it yourself. "Has started to" compare to how long Pogba was being attacked in the media? Especially from our legends? Again, do you really want to compare?

It doesn't matter how good one player is to another. There is no "Yeah but he's better than him" etc. nonsense when it comes to bullying or harrassment.
Why "it doesn't matter"?

Pogba has been good, our best outfield player, and he still got attacked, a lot more than Lingard.
Lingard only got attacked when he becomes absolutely shit.

Pogba's personality was attacked, without evidence. He was labeled "nuisance", "trouble maker", "unprofessional", "toxic" - while most of the manager who works with him has no trouble, and even praise him for leadership ability, except Mourinho, who fall out with lot of players.
Lingard talent was attacked (mostly only this year), with crystal clear evidence.

Why you can't the difference is beyond me.

Both are bullied/harrassed by the media, pundits, fans and the toxicity of social media. Pogba for his inflated price and outwardness. Lingard for his lack of United ability compared to outwardness.
This topic is not about the "toxicity of social media" so don't derail. Social media mean feck all as some random hater on twitter holds no power. Gary Neville and Scholes hold great power when it comes to influencing Manchester United fans. And they use that power to attack who? Pogba.

Again, Lingard only got a lot of attention this year (or should I say this season?), but he has been shit for a long time, while Pogba has been our best outfield player until this season.

Personally, I find your attempt to equal both situation disgusting, but maybe it's just me.

Yup, the media have moved on from Sterling as their favorite target to character assassinate after he called them out. Pogba's become their new lightning rod who gets blamed for any and everything and will remain so until he leaves.a

The same lot will be waxing lyrical about how we're missing quality players like him once he's doing well elsewhere too
Very well said, especially the term "character assassinate".

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No, don't be ridiculous. He's a high profile player, a record signing and a huge disappointment. He's rocked the boat several times, his agent won't shut up, his brother won't shut up and he himself hasn't delivered at a huge club that's shat the bed in recent years. Of course he's going to get flack and a large amount of it. People paid to talk are going to talk.
But it’s disproportionate.

The problem was there before he was re signed and it’s still there. He was ridiculously singled out by Jose who favoured donkeys like Matic, Lindelöf etc while laying blame on Pogba’s shoulders. It’s got OTT with some of the media claiming he’s faking it. They don’t say that about players who aren’t a big brand like Kane for one.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I sincerely hope some of you never are actually bullied and harassed. Because it will be an eye opener for you.
There are many types of bullying and harassment. Not all are violent or verbally aggressive. Some types you see once and you know... others are done articulately and takes longer to realise.

Cassidy

Not to the same levels though? I get you think this is a race/nationality thing but personally I think its more to do with who his agent is more than anything.
His agent yes, of course not to the same levels he isn't as high profile.

Before Pogba or his agent even opened their mouths he was already getting it, from the first season and Jose even defended the campaign against him. Long before anything came from Pogbas side

SER19

I've definitely seen him get bullied on TV. By Mark noble, capoue... Well by pretty much every physical player he faces

The Bloody-Nine

There are many types of bullying and harassment. Not all are violent or verbally aggressive. Some types you see once and you know... others are done articulately and takes longer to realise.
He's our most high profile player and we paid a world record fee for him. And in the main, he's been a flop. Of course he's going to get criticised more than our other players.

Cassidy

Yeah that’s just what I said :rolleyes:
Next time don't reply to a post where I say he shouldn't be criticised for games he hasn't played in with that nonsense then.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
100%. The fact that he was blamed by some last night when he wasn't even in the ground proves it.

Some fans do it too.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
No of course he isn't bullied, he's being judged because of the actions of his agent that he employs and has complete control over.

Honestly this place is becoming more and more RAWK like.
Yep. This is the thing I don’t understand about social media obsessed millennial celebrities. They voluntarily put out information about themselves, alongside a load of other more controlled marketing messaging to portray a carefully curated self image and then expect everyone to react the same adoring sycophantic way.

And when some people respond in a critical way (which is their right), often because the reality is different from what was presented, it’s claimed as bullying!

All of Pogba’s narcissistic self imagery and promotion is designed to portray him as an alpha male elite footballer. So it’s no surprise that when he fails to measure up that voluntarily self defined image, people to react negatively to it.

Players like Bailly and McTominay dont attract similar attention because they dont present such an arrogant big time ‘baller’ of themselves.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

But it’s disproportionate.

The problem was there before he was re signed and it’s still there. He was ridiculously singled out by Jose who favoured donkeys like Matic, Lindelöf etc while laying blame on Pogba’s shoulders. It’s got OTT with some of the media claiming he’s faking it. They don’t say that about players who aren’t a big brand like Kane for one.
I've not seen anyone outside of this forum saying he's faking it, but then I don't read that much football media anymore as the flip flopping annoys the shit out of me.

Matic and Lindelof weren't mouthing off after matches we had won, they weren't made vice captain then had to be stripped of it, their agents weren't mouthing off in the press or offering them to City. Pogba does get a lot of flack, but he has brought a lot of it on himself. It is disproportionate, neither Matic nor Lindelof is our record signing nor do they have the same profile as Pogba.

Wether all the stick is fair or not, he's a high profile player in a position to take a lot of stick and hasn't exactly helped himself over the last few years. High profile player not delivering and actively seeking a move away getting stick from pundits is a far cry from bullying.

Cassidy

I've not seen anyone outside of this forum saying he's faking it, but then I don't read that much football media anymore as the flip flopping annoys the shit out of me.

Matic and Lindelof weren't mouthing off after matches we had won, they weren't made vice captain then had to be stripped of it, their agents weren't mouthing off in the press or offering them to City. Pogba does get a lot of flack, but he has brought a lot of it on himself. It is disproportionate, neither Matic nor Lindelof is our record signing nor do they have the same profile as Pogba.

Wether all the stick is fair or not, he's a high profile player in a position to take a lot of stick and hasn't exactly helped himself over the last few years. High profile player not delivering and actively seeking a move away getting stick from pundits is a far cry from bullying.
Where do you think it started haha

Red_toad

Next time don't reply to a post where I say he shouldn't be criticised for games he hasn't played in with that nonsense then.
What are you going on about? Please feel free to point out your post I replied to stating that?

You’re posting things that didn’t happen!

SlimDizzle075

This isn’t a joke so please bare with me. Put aside any personal views that you may have about Pogba. If “but he makes xxx amount a week” comes into your mind then feck off go read something else...

My question is simple. Every week whether he plays or not Paul Pogba gets crucified and slandered by pundits who are trained in the art of speaking on tv so know never to fully cross the line. But constantly attacking a man’s personality, calling him a trouble maker is not part of their remit and not supposed to be part of a post match assessment. It’s not normal. But it’s becomes the norm for over a year when it comes to this one player.

Yesterday both Scholes and McAteer were again having a go at Paul. Again attacking his personality, calling him a trouble etc when tbf there really is no evidence other then he asked for a move and didn’t get one. Did he then go on strike like Gareth Bale did when he wanted to leave Spurs for Real? No. So what evidence do we have!

Anyways. Pogba appears a confident guy but seen a lot of tweet about anti bullying and mental health etc. So just wanted to get this off my chest because it’s taking place right on our tv screens. By people that call themselves role models. And despite his confident personality and character we don’t know what effect hearing their constant comments might have on Pogba.

IMO - Paul Pogba is experiencing the old "what comes around goes around" . He has never shown 100% commitment to Manchester United, not like he has for Juve. Not like he has for France. he has always let his fat greedy agent speak for him and speak Ill of our club. Since the first year he was back with us we have had to deal with the rumors and the stories. The way that he has handled it has been to act coy and cute and smile and say stuff like. "who knows about the future". And quite frankly we all know that statement is true, but we are at a point in our clubs history where we are CRYING OUT for commitment and leadership and "who knows about the future?" no matter how realistic just doesn't cut it with us.

Take a kid like Rashford. Rashford though much younger is looking at 2-3 months on the sidelines and his public statement about that is along the lines that even though he isn't on the pitch, he will be at every practice, meeting, match etc. helping anyway he can and that he will be back fitter and better then ever to help United. Because of Rashford's LOVE and Respect for US and the badge, if Rashford has a bad game he gets flack for the way he played (which is understandable) , but his commitment is not questioned. His character as a man is not questions, WHO he is, is never questioned.

Paul's view has always been "What can Manchester United do for me?" instead of "What can I do for Manchester United?" and after years and years of it, and United going for LONG periods without him or him essentially downing due to unrest with his manager, while at the same time we see that we have won many of the BIGGER matches we have played without him on the field, we as fans realize that Manchester United existed before Paul Pogba and we will be fine after he leaves. So no one without a financial stake in his future is in a hurry to fight for him. No one who's livelihood doesn't depend on him is coming to Paul's defense in the media or elsewhere, it took 3-4 season but our supporters are now showing Pogba the same level of support he shows us.

I know he is brilliant on the ball, one of the most talented players in the world and on his day WE are better with him then without him. saying that I can't wait till he is gone.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You said it yourself. "Has started to" compare to how long Pogba was being attacked in the media? Especially from our legends? Again, do you really want to compare?

Why "it doesn't matter"?

Pogba has been good, our best outfield player, and he still got attacked, a lot more than Lingard.
Lingard only got attacked when he becomes absolutely shit.

Pogba's personality was attacked, without evidence. He was labeled "nuisance", "trouble maker", "unprofessional", "toxic" - while most of the manager who works with him has no trouble, and even praise him for leadership ability, except Mourinho, who fall out with lot of players.
Lingard talent was attacked (mostly only this year), with crystal clear evidence.

Why you can't the difference is beyond me.

This topic is not about the "toxicity of social media" so don't derail. Social media mean feck all as some random hater on twitter holds no power. Gary Neville and Scholes hold great power when it comes to influencing Manchester United fans. And they use that power to attack who? Pogba.

Again, Lingard only got a lot of attention this year (or should I say this season?), but he has been shit for a long time, while Pogba has been our best outfield player until this season.

Personally, I find your attempt to equal both situation disgusting, but maybe it's just me.

Very well said, especially the term "character assassinate".
Lingard has been given attention prior to this season as has Pogba. Social media means a lot when it's being posted by verified accounts with huge outreach which are the people that have blasted Lingard. Lingard has been labelled as all of these things too. I'm not equalling the situations at all. I just don't like how there is bullying/harrassment in both cases and one is noticed and the other isn't. Neither are acceptable. Bullying isn't a case of one is worse than another as it's very individual and I'm not claming that either. Social media has as much power as TV nowadays, probably more so.

I find both cases disgusting and something which needs to be cut out of the game and the media. I don't like either of it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Its nearly like they know something that the public don't isn't it. I see very little in the main stream media outlets slamming Pogba, its more the old school united players themselves, Sterling was a completely other level of bile.
:lol:

shaky

It's pretty disgusting how some people can get singled out with unsubstantiated criticism and offensive attacks on their characters just for doing their job. People who do this should be ashamed of themselves. But enough about the accusations of racism being made towards the football pundits. Pogba also probably deserves a tad more respect too.