Is Pep the greatest manager of all time?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
But seriously, SAF was winning titles with one good central midfielder for years.

Pep is a great manager but he needs world class players in every position to win.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Doped as a player - confirmed.

Payments to referees at Barca - confirmed.

Guilty of financial doping UEFA - confirmed.

115 charges of cheating hanging over City.

Is he feck ‘the greatest’, it’s laughable.

Edwards6

For his next challenge he'll try and do it at a club that don't pay referees or get 115 charges for cheating

Oranges038

Don't forget the blood doping in Spanish football, that never got taken up properly because the authorities delayed and then destroyed all the evidence.

Tyrion

I'm sure Balagues stance has nothing to do with the Pep biography he wrote.

Balague didn't mention that.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Thanks for proving my point.
Trying to rub salt in to friendly posters like @Scarlett Dracarys on a forum that’s welcomed you as an oppo fan…?

Your own team has been relegated to the Championship and is currently being picked apart by PL teams who are free to pick and choose your best players, and you’re on here, trying to WUM a welcoming fanbase of a team who finished 3rd and won a trophy!?

You should apologise mate, or at least go and take a breather.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Don't forget the blood doping in Spanish football, that never got taken up properly because the authorities delayed and then destroyed all the evidence.
What's this about?

Dobba

Fair play to him. Only taking two years longer to win an European Cup at Bayern Munich and Manchester City than it took Busby to rebuild an entire club and build a team with three Balon Dor winners in it after Munich is some achievement.

CoopersDream

Yeah, this changes nothing really, stil has a long long way to go. Still, a great achievement in itself.

wangyu

Ranieri. What he did with Leicester is true greatness. What Mourinho did with Porto as well

iamking

I think this discussion is over. Pep will go down as the greatest in history above all other legendary managers like, Sacchi, Cryuff, Ancelotti, Sir Alex, Paisley and Mourinho. His contemporaries like Klopp, Zidane, Simeone, etc. don't even come close to him. He is head and shoulders above the rest.

The football they play, the way they dominate possession, the consistency of creating chances, the national team ascendancy whichever country his club plays, the way his system is greater than any star player and above all else the ruthless efficiency and repeatability in PL. His record is outstanding in PL - Treble, Centurion, Domestic Quad, 5 out of last 6 PL titles. Rival or not any football fan should appreciate his genius.

City on the other hand is cheating crap. the biggest cheating they did is to sign Pep. They could go on signing a 100 other players for billion each, they would still not have anything close to the domination that Pep has given them. Unbelievable manager.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Pep is an incredible manager. One of the best of our lifetime for sure. You can’t ignore the Fact though that in a cl final they had Walker,Foden,Laporte,Mahrez and Alvarez on the bench. This level of strength is difficult to match for anyone

Zlaatan

Parody Account
There is little context to what you said. The southampton side of 13/14 were entertainers and giant killers. Before Pochettino, Southampton has never finished that high in the premier league era. What Pochettino did was build the foundation and structure for Southampton to be a top team, which is what result in koeman having the season he had.

Football in England changed with that Southampton team of 2013-14, there is no other team that had as big an impact in changing the mindset than the team he created then. Not only was the high octane pressing and first coaching staff who started to teach exercises to bring the ball out from the back, his Southampton side revolutionized English football. It was the starting point to the era that saw Liverpool and Manchester city become so successful.

With regards to psg, which other manager got to the finals? Pochettino was more handicapped as the club he had was less balanced than his predecessor that is why Leonardo got sacked and why galtier who was a good manager couldn't even last one season there because of how uncoachable that team was. Poch made those accomplishments with a team that many other managers would fail to manage.
A successful era doesn't start with a single League cup win in the span of 3 years, so trying to connect the success of these two teams, which started in 17/18, to what Southampton did in 13/14 is so absurd that I don't think even you are buying it.

Are you aware of what major changes both these teams did about a year before they started winning so much? (hint: it involved the two best managers in the world)

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I think this discussion is over. Pep will go down as the greatest in history above all other legendary managers like, Sacchi, Cryuff, Ancelotti, Sir Alex, Paisley and Mourinho. His contemporaries like Klopp, Zidane, Simeone, etc. don't even come close to him. He is head and shoulders above the rest.

The football they play, the way they dominate possession, the consistency of creating chances, the national team ascendancy whichever country his club plays, the way his system is greater than any star player and above all else the ruthless efficiency and repeatability in PL. His record is outstanding in PL - Treble, Centurion, Domestic Quad, 5 out of last 6 PL titles. Rival or not any football fan should appreciate his genius.

City on the other hand is cheating crap. the biggest cheating they did is to sign Pep. They could go on signing a 100 other players for billion each, they would still not have anything close to the domination that Pep has given them. Unbelievable manager.
I don't think it's that cut and dried.

Kammy26

He close to it. I think what he has to do next is take a struggling team or sleeping giant sort of club. Maybe one of the Milan sides and totally dominate the league and win the champions league. If he does that then there is no doubt he’s the greatest.

He’s young too in manager terms, he’s possibly got 15-20 years left managing. He’s got time to do it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Can't argue with any of that. Despite being an excellent manager he is fraught with fraud.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
A successful era doesn't start with a single League cup win in the span of 3 years, so trying to connect the success of these two teams, which started in 17/18, to what Southampton did in 13/14 is so absurd that I don't think even you are buying it.

Are you aware of what major changes both these teams did about a year before they started winning so much? (hint: it involved the two best managers in the world)
Having a philosophy that revolutionized football at that time does connect with two of those team, as they emulated that philosophy to be successful. Similar to what we are seeing with Brighton and Di Zerbi. I am sure that his philosophy will have an impact for other teams trying to be successful in the premier league in the near future. Some people just forgot how Southampton and the spurs side changed English football.

Bearded One

Pep is an incredible manager. One of the best of our lifetime for sure. You can’t ignore the Fact though that in a cl final they had Walker,Foden,Laporte,Mahrez and Alvarez on the bench. This level of strength is difficult to match for anyone
So you mean you don’t see players of Foden, Laporte, Mahrez, Alvarez etc caliber on the bench for top teams in Europe? Alvarez won the World Cup but so did Acuna and Mc Allister. We try to give these man city players some elevated status so as to fly the narrative of th having 2 strong elevens.

MoskvaRed

Give him what he needs and he’s unstoppable. But…could he do a Clough with Forrest, a Fergie with Aberdeen or, in a different analogy, what Schumacher built with Ferrari? I suspect we’ll never know.

DeGea

let’s face it if he was our manager we would say he is the greatest without a shadow of a doubt.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
So you mean you don’t see players of Foden, Laporte, Mahrez, Alvarez etc caliber on the bench for top teams in Europe? Alvarez won the World Cup but so did Acuna and Mc Allister. We try to give these man city players some elevated status so as to fly the narrative of th having 2 strong elevens.
Not really. Alvarez is a very good striker who can easily start for multiple teams in the premier league. Foden by most people is one of the best young English players around. Laporte would walk into every single PL 11. I am just telling you the reality that he is a great manager but this squad is absurd. Just check the benches of Real Madrid, United and inter. This is not an excuse. We should be embarrassed with the way we have spent money and the fact that we brought on Mctominay & Weghorst in a cup final but the difference between the two clubs in terms of squads is insane

Last edited:

Bearded One

Give him what he needs and he’s unstoppable. But…could he do a Clough with Forrest, a Fergie with Aberdeen or, in a different analogy, what Schumacher built with Ferrari? I suspect we’ll never know.
We’d never know. Personally I think he would need a few years to get some of the type of his players and from there he can begin to compete at the highest level.

He success from a big club at his first senior coaching stint whilst never looking back is his undoing in this regard. Perhaps if he had been failing he would have had the chance to rock up at Roma.

Care_de_Bobo

For now I would say its over. In future, hard to say.
Did you watch the game tonight? His team were second best and barely had a sniff all game. Where was the domination you're talking about? Nobody gave Inter a prayer before the game.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
His biggest failures are no CL win with Bayern and taking as long as he did with City.

The if buts and maybes regarding him not managing Aberdeen etc are pointless.

Unfortunately, he is definitely in the conversation for best of all time. If he goes and has a career meltdown like a Mourinho it potentially taints some of his achievements. The conversation can wait.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
One of the best but not the best.

Hes a Cruyff level manager (in player terms) not a Messi level of a GOAT.

Hes never had a level playing field. Or taken a club from the bottom and transformed its trajectory.

Klopp and SAF did that.

TenHagsEmpire

Supports
Ajax
For me he is. And when he’s done he’ll be known as such by many more.

Pep will win many more things. But I don’t think I’ll see a manager win TWO trebles with two different teams in my lifetime.
He beat Ferguson, who by many is regarded as the best manager of all time, in finals too - twice. That’s a fact that shouldn’t be forgotten.

But his influence on football in Spain, Germany and England is just as important as the trophy count.

Bearded One

Not really. Alvarez is a very good striker who can easily start for multiple teams in the premier league. Foden by most people is one of the best young English players around. Laporte would walk into every single PL 11. I am just telling you the reality that he is a great manager but this squad is absurd
Alvarez is a very good striker but Liverpool have Nunez, Jota, Firminho who will start in most teams. Spurs have Kane and Richarlison (top 9 in Brazil) and they will start in most teams, etc. Alvarez was bought very cheap also and I’m not sure he’s better than Gabriel Jesus whom they let go of. If Sancho and Greenwood fulfilled their talent, we’d not have to look to the direction of Foden too much. Rashford and Mount have similar profiles and even start ahead of him in the English set up more often than not.

Laporte great defender but he’s been kept out by Ake and Akanji. I don’t believe that Ake and Akanji have any sort of advantage when you compare them to defenders in the epl or even Europe.