Is Rashford better than the likes of Saint Maximin?

Mike Smalling

That ASM skill against Dalot was smooth as feck, to be fair. But yeah, Rashford is a much better player.

meamth

Its purely speculative but I actually think Rashford would have real problems getting past Wan-Bissaka. Then again so does everyone
I think he will have a hard time as well. The only way someone can beat AWB is with skills and nutmegs (though that rarely happens as well). Rashford loves to dribble past opponent with pace, to AWB's advantage.

InfiniteBoredom

I think he will have a hard time as well. The only way someone can beat AWB is with skills and nutmegs (though that rarely happens as well). Rashford loves to dribble past opponent with pace, to AWB's advantage.
The way to beat AWB, and we've seen it repeatedly, is a decoy run where he follows the man and let the ball be played in behind him to a free runner. If it's just a straight 1v1 then even Mbappe had struggled against him.

meamth

The way to beat AWB, and we've seen it repeatedly, is a decoy run where he follows the man and let the ball be played in behind him to a free runner. If it's just a straight 1v1 then even Mbappe had struggled against him.
Agreed. I struggled to think how beat AWB 1v1 and didn't realise this.

justsomebloke

The knock on ASM is straightforward enough: Not a lot of end product. Also, not much of a plan B if he gets closed down one-on-one. Both were in evidence yesterday. Also, it must be maddening for strikers and attackers that he tends to want to make a second and third dribble rather than cross or square it - when and where are they supposed to make their runs? His unpredictability is a problem not just for the defenders, but also for them.

vodrake

Reminds me of Adama Traore in a lot of ways. Great highlight reel and must be a nightmare for defenders to play against, but never really seems to have planned his next move out and doesnt have much of a lethal instinct, so ends up wasting his opportunity when he's in dangerous positions

justsomebloke

Strictly speaking, that's not really to beat him though? That's effectively a 2 on 1? Or is your point that a better/different FB wouldn't follow the first run but stay poised to block the pass instead?

InfiniteBoredom

That's not really to beat him though? That's effectively a 2 on 1?
I mean, yeah, if you follow the old school concept of breaking down football to individual battles all over the pitch and the team who win more of them come out on top. In modern football it's more important to defend the space and it's the player's responsibility to keep watch of what's happening around him and realize when to leave his man to someone else - communicating that in the process.

stevoc

Strictly speaking, that's not really to beat him though? That's effectively a 2 on 1? Or is your point that a better/different FB wouldn't follow the first run but stay poised to block the pass instead?
Yeah you can beat any fullback in the history of the game the same way.

Chairman Steve

ASM is a throwback to the 90s maverick winger, similar in play style to funnily enough David Ginola who was at the game yesterday.

But he is no Ginola, who himself was fantastic and a player I wish we could have got, especially when Blomqvist‘s knee was destroyed beyond repair in 1999.

justsomebloke

ASM is a throwback to the 90s maverick winger, similar in play style to funnily enough David Ginola who was at the game yesterday.

But he is no Ginola, who himself was fantastic and a player I wish we could have got, especially when Blomqvist‘s knee was destroyed beyond repair in 1999.
Good example. Reportedly, Jürgen Klinsmann used to tell Ginola off because of that unpredictability thing.

bringbackbebe

For reference, Rashford's about to score as many goals this season as Saint-Maximin has scored in his entire career. Saint-Maximin is older than Rashford. How is this thread even getting credibility?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
For reference, Rashford's about to score as many goals this season as Saint-Maximin has scored in his entire career. Saint-Maximin is older than Rashford. How is this thread even getting credibility?
Rashford could get 40 goals this season, 15 assists, make more political waves off the field and still there’d be a section of our fanbase who begrudge everything he achieves.

NLunited

He doesn‘t have the goal threat that Rashy has. Very good winger though.

JimmyWils

How was this ever a debate? Even when Rashford was struggling for form last year, I think I'd rather have had him in the squad than ASM.

He is one of those players who looks scary on the ball when he's running, but I've realised recently that nothing genuinely productive happens with any regular reliability. When Newcastle's owners start to replace their current squad I originally thought that he'd be one of those sticking around alongside the likes of Trippier, but now it looks like he'll be shift alongside the others in that squad who won't have a place in the Saudi revolution.

Abraxas

ASM is a midtable player. Fantastic skill but has never put it all together in terms of decision making and ultimately putting the ball in the net. If he could do those things he'd be a top class player, but the thing is, you can say that for a lot of forwards. It is end product that matters and that's why he's midtable and not at a top club.

Maybe if an ETH type manager got hold of ASM earlier in his career he could have been something special, who knows.