Is ronaldo ironically creating the very same conundrum rvn caused the team

Lee565

As great as van nistelrooy did for the club with his fantastic goal scoring record, it our attack lack flexibility as the team was built around playing to his strengths and despite the initial concerns most fans had that we would be seriously weakened in attack without him we actually saw a more free flowing attack and a young Rooney and Ronaldo step up a level and flourish.

Are we in the same situation with Ronaldo where as good as he is at scoring match winning goals, the team going forward is being stifled by having to work around serving Ronaldo's strengths?

Bosws87

No, we were actually a coherent functional team in those days.

hobbers

RvN clashed with Ronaldo, the GOAT.

Ronaldo is clashing with Rashford.

croadyman

RvN clashed with Ronaldo, the GOAT.

Ronaldo is clashing with Rashford.
Was prepared to give Marcus leeway last season due to carrying an injury, however now cannot understand the diabolical form

Green_Red

Our problems have nothing to do with Ronaldo. At least RvN had service from our midfield. Ronaldo wishes he had the midfield playing with him that was playing with RvN.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Rudd made a personal comment about Ronaldo's father to Ronaldo which caused a rift in the dressing room, I don't see any irony at all sorry.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Wasn't he referring to Queiroz at the time but it landed badly because Ronaldo's father had just died? That's sort of how I remember it.
I remembered it being that Rudd distastefully commented to Ronaldo that Queiroz was his new dad or something of that nature. Anyway, I think Rudd recently held his hands up and apologised for it.

Just checked:

Ruud van Nistelrooy has admitted he was 'wrong' to fall out with Cristiano Ronaldo during his time at Manchester United. ... Van Nistelrooy allegedly told Ronaldo he had found a new dad in Carlos Queiroz, Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant, not long after the youngster's own father had died.19 Mar 2021

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It does have it's similarities. Although Saha flanked by Rooney and Ronaldo was a different level altogether to anything this squad has.

I think most were happy with our options for the front 3 when we started the season. Suddenly we had a fixed starter limiting our combinations.

Foxbatt

No we were brilliant before Ronaldo came? Give him the opportunities and he will score. I do not see any problems with Ronaldo so far. He is also creating space for other players.

stoinz

Can see what OP was saying but I don't think there is much similarity. During that time, we had Ronaldo, Rooney ready to step up, we replaced Ruud with Saha and later Tevez and Berbatov. You can already see glimpses of the potential whenever Ruud was injured. Also there is the issue of Ruud causing disruption to the team which so far Ronaldo hasn't (at least not that we know of).

Right now, I don't see how Ronaldo is holding any of the other attackers back, in fact just look back at the last six months pre-Ronaldo, the performances have been dire too. It just a feeling I have that Rangnick isn't one that pick his team on reputation and if Rashford, Greenwood or Cavani is good enough he won't hesitate to drop Ronaldo for them.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
As great as van nistelrooy did for the club with his fantastic goal scoring record, it our attack lack flexibility as the team was built around playing to his strengths and despite the initial concerns most fans had that we would be seriously weakened in attack without him we actually saw a more free flowing attack and a young Rooney and Ronaldo step up a level and flourish.

Are we in the same situation with Ronaldo where as good as he is at scoring match winning goals, the team going forward is being stifled by having to work around serving Ronaldo's strengths?
Why is Haller not causing the same conundrum for Ajax?

Why was Martial not causing us this problem last year?

We were doing better with Martial than we are with Ronnie. Ipso facto Martial > Ronaldo ?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ruud was a far more complete centre forward than Ronaldo, especially this Ronaldo. He could hold up play, was a monster at winning the ball from long clearances and was an excellent passer of the ball.

He also ran a whole lot more than this version of Ronaldo.

Hate all the Ruud disrespect. It's like people didn't even see the seasons when he had a functional midfield behind him, as opposed to before he left when it had basically disintegrated. Then as now if we had a couple midfielders who could pass the ball as well as doing their job, we'd look an entirely different prospect.

Lemon Moon

I remembered it being that Rudd distastefully commented to Ronaldo that Queiroz was his new dad or something of that nature. Anyway, I think Rudd recently held his hands up and apologised for it.

Just checked:

Ruud van Nistelrooy has admitted he was 'wrong' to fall out with Cristiano Ronaldo during his time at Manchester United. ... Van Nistelrooy allegedly told Ronaldo he had found a new dad in Carlos Queiroz, Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant, not long after the youngster's own father had died.19 Mar 2021
Wow fighting talk that. Imagine if he'd have said that to a young Rooney. Ruud would have took a good kicking.

Luke1995

2005/2006 Ruud was still a much better player than Rashford or Greenwood are today. Even though Ruud was slightly past his peak.

If you take Ronaldo out right now, the team will get faster and more mobile, but it will also score less goals and lose even more the will to fight.

captaincantona

2005/2006 Ruud was still a much better player than Rashford or Greenwood are today. Even though Ruud was slightly past his peak.

If you take Ronaldo out right now, the team will get faster and more mobile, but it will also score less goals and lose even more the will to fight.
What makes you think we would score less? We scored more at this point last season without Ronaldo. It’s a complete unknown. I would be firmly in the camp of using Ronaldo to benefit the team and not holding court over his performances until the team is more coherent as a whole.

He has been putting in a shift which is more than you can say for Rashford or Greenwood. Use him more sparingly and try get a system that works which all the forward players then slot into. Right now it seems like we are trying out systems to match our forward players (primarily Ronny) and throwing players in odd positions to accommodate that. Let’s find a working system first.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’d say so, yes.

And it isn’t mutually exclusive - Ronaldo can be holding the team back with his age/limitations AND the supporting cast in Rashford et al can be disappointing/failing to play to their level.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ronaldo isn't as good as Ruud was back then

wolvored

Think it's just another excuse to excuse players who are playing shit. We are a terrible team with no flowing football and with sparce coaching for 3 seasons other than counter attack, people are grasping at straws to why we are so shit. I hope this time next month RR has at least got the basics coached into them

Red Rash

When we signed Ronaldo this summer we knew what player we would get. Ronaldo now plays as a more traditional number 9 who thrives on service.

The main problem for me is the lack of chances we create which can be attributed to our mediocre midfield and lack of creativity from wide positions.

Looking at the last match we didn't create anything for Ronaldo which is why he was pretty anonymous in the match. Considering the lack of service he has scored a lot of goals. If we can increase the chances we create we get the best out of him. To be honest I think we have many issues in that team and Ronaldo isn't one of the main ones

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
All I saw the other night was Ronaldo making great run after great run and the players behind him fecking up through ball after through ball.

the_cliff

Yeah let’s put Rashford and Greenwood up top who are absolutely banging them in for fun… oh wait
I think the situation is different than the op suggests and don't agree with the comparison at all. However, at the time Ronaldo wasn't banging them in for fun either...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There's been a lot of threads or suggestions that Ronaldo is a "problem" or that he should be dropped, or similar.

I think there is a lot of love for Ronaldo, obviously, but his iconic status means that a lot of supporters will stay entrenched in their view of him being nothing but an asset (even Keane, Neville hold firm to this view).

In truth I think Ronaldo is a terrific asset, but he needs to be the icing on the cake. He cannot be deployed in a team that is disjointed behind him, because now the entirety of his game is dependent on the service he gets. He will shoot from tight angles 8/10 times than find a square pass, he wants to put the ball in the back of the net and he's fecking good at doing that. But he needs to be the final piece of the puzzle for a team, not something to build around.

Right now I feel we are doing the latter - always trying to find him, always worried about his reactions to passages to play and thinking about how we can better get him on the end of crosses. If instead we focused efforts on the team dynamic, I think Ronaldo will naturally end up scoring shit loads.

Luke1995

What makes you think we would score less? We scored more at this point last season without Ronaldo. It’s a complete unknown. I would be firmly in the camp of using Ronaldo to benefit the team and not holding court over his performances until the team is more coherent as a whole.

He has been putting in a shift which is more than you can say for Rashford or Greenwood. Use him more sparingly and try get a system that works which all the forward players then slot into. Right now it seems like we are trying out systems to match our forward players (primarily Ronny) and throwing players in odd positions to accommodate that. Let’s find a working system first.
We could score more if more chances were created, but the other strikers we have don't have half of Ronaldo's consistency.

Right now it seems like we need to keep him in the team and hope he is going to go on a row.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I love the idea that we've ever actually tried playing to Ronaldo's strengths at any point :lol:

Well we had a better go at it under Carrick but that was 3 games...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We were such a free flowing team, shame Ronaldo messed it up.

Is that the narrative now?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
The problem with the squad now lies with our players currently in their prime - Rashford, McFred, SlabHead the fullbacks.

Jibbs

RVN was blocking the generation talents like Ronaldo and Rooney, presently Ronaldo is blocking whom? Rashford? The most useless and overhyped player of the decade?

KeanoMagicHat

Yes, Ronaldo is blocking Greenwood's path in the team. I reckon if Greenwood was played up front and got going, he would do a lot of what Ronaldo is currently doing, while the team would flourish a lot more.

Greenwood scored 3 goals in 3 league games before Ronaldo arrived, scored 1 since he's played with him. Scored another brilliant goal against Young Boys when not playing with him. We'll never know how he actually would have done this season without Ronaldo arriving. It would be an interesting alternative history.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
With Ruud we had some of the best talents ever and Saha to take over the forward. All our forwards have been crap this season. Including Ronnie.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If Rashford/Greenwood/Martial were any good, you could make a comparison. As it stands, they're not fit to lace Ronaldo's boots.