Is Smalling the best defender in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I wonder what he would sell for if Mou did try to cash in now.

Cheer for the good response. I am a little confused though - you're saying he has become a bit rash/lazy, but a a result you DO see him as a good first-team option, or is that a mistake?

Good point re villification from the manager/playing a lot of outfield games last season, and re injuries. Hard to know if Mourinho has been fair there - we don't really have the insight, and won't until an autobiography comes out in a few years :lol:.
Probably not much in all honesty. Maybe close to £20m, probably less. Although I think he'd be great for a team that isn't expected to be on the front foot in every game.

liamp

His great progression hit an absolute halt this season. You can see it stylistically in his play also -- if you watch Smalling in his earlier seasons contrasted to now, he was nowhere near this rash. He was all about using his pace, standing tackle and generally intercepting play before he needed to dive in or grab an opponent. I feel like now that he has senses of his own strength and pace, he has become innately lazy and just 'Srktel-shoves', or pushes really close to his forward to intercept quickly because he knows it's unlikely the striker will turn him and win a footrace.

As a result, he's sort of reached a plateau in his abilities, yet I think he's too 'matured' in this style to go back. As a result, I see him as a very good first team option - his aerial ability isn't matched by many.
-----
FWIW, his current standing has significantly lessened in fans minds down to vilification from his manager - it has become commonplace to see him as this wuss who doesn't want to give it all for the team etc. despite playing the most outfield games for us last season.

At the risk of sounding a bit crackpot, I think he has definitely played through an injury or two down to the above, and that is affecting his performance levels. We know that for a fact against Chelsea earlier this season, for instance.
I think he's been hurt by the lack of a consistent partnership with Blind. Both Blind and Smalling have pretty glaring weaknesses, but they compliment each other well. Blind has decent positioning and is excellent on the ball, but has next to no pace and struggles physically. Smalling is basically the inverse of that.

I don't think he's plateaued because of laziness...it's because his weaknesses with positional play and his, frankly, championship-level ability on the ball was always going to limit his ceiling. That's just magnified this year with the injuries and lack of consistent playing time.

dakingpin1999

Smalling has always been dire. Him and jones should be sold and should have been sold years ago. Cant stand those two clowns, smalling gets a free ride from the media because of him being english where as players like blind and rojo are criticised constantly. Jose will get rid of smalling and i cant wait for that day. He should be no way near a utd team, would rather play a utd under 16's defender today then him

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let his man head a goal in both the last 2 aways now.

Still remember how he let Kompany head the winner in that vital title clash years ago

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He was never anywhere near the best defender in the league, even at his peak last year half his defending was based on shirt-pulling.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
There's already a thread for discussing the player. Check out the player performances forum. Bumping old threads in order to say 'I told you so' regarding how a player performed two years ago based on now is pathetic, no two ways about it. Sorry to have to be the one to tell you.
Did the post really need quoting? We're being humiliated in a live game and you're more interested in one upmanship.

Well done @Reapersoul20
Neither of you have contributed very much to the discussion here, and you are both too dense to actually read my posts/properly respond to them. It's unfortunate, and incredible, that you have amassed so many posts on a public forum, while still not gaining any skills in basic comprehension. I am not going to waste my time with you anymore.

You can both note that there is some quality discussion going on above - in this thread - despite your best efforts. Please do not derail this thread further.

I think the shortcomings in his game that have resulted in him becoming quite rash limit him to being no more than a mere first team squad option. At his best, he's a very good player - certainly not someone who should be first on the departure list or anything.
I am inclined to agree with what you say. I do think, at one stage, he had the potential to be a world-beater (as many in this thread agreed), but it's a bit late for that now. He's certainly not the worst backup you could have in a squad though.

A little controversial maybe, but if I had to keep either him or Jones, I'd keep Jones. Though he hasn't been NEAR as reliable as Smalling was for that period ~2015, I think he showed glimpses of ability that could far surpass Smalling. Smalling is the safe bet for a decent backup. I still maintain that Jones has a much higher ceiling though.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Pot, kettle @Reapersoul20 you've bumped a 2 year old thread so you can tell people you were right all along, and then call others dense.

At least you were right about Smalling though, that's the main thing.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Did anybody noticed that smalling is always behind the player or to say better that every attacker comes in front of him ?
Ne never intercepts the ball. Even those long long balls which fly couple of seconds.
He just hugs the attacker with two arms and that is that.
Even blind who is not defender is better than him in that

Status
Not open for further replies.