Is Smalling the best defender in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_Cole

I really wouldn't swap him with anyone. He's an absolute beast. His reputation with neutrals is poor but he really is damn good.

Right now I think he's the best. He's way better than Kompany. John Terry perhaps with his experience may edge it but I think by the end of the season Smalling will surpass him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
According to Scouse fans he isn't better than Skrtel, ha.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's not even considered safe options one month ago, otamendi? Ramos? Why would we want them if he's the best in the league?

He's solid lately, but let's not make it as if he's a prime rio yet. Hotspur and villa is not a good benchmark. Try playing against messi then we can get back to this

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nope but he has the right stage to become it! Far to early to say this and I'm a huge fan of his.

Raw

To be fair there are barely any decent defenders nowadays. Smalling definitely has the potential to be the best in the league but right now he's probably around top 5?

Koscielny's up there for me.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Yes, as a pure defender I think he is. However, and I know it's constantly said on here, his distribution is far from good enough and lands us in trouble far too often and until he rectifies that he won't win over others.

If you were to say that Messi is running at the defence and there's 40 yards to goal I'm not sure there's any defender in the world I'd rather have against him than Smalling, except maybe Thiago Silva.

Lawman

He's not even considered safe options one month ago, otamendi? Ramos? Why would we want them if he's the best in the league?

He's solid lately, but let's not make it as if he's a prime rio yet. Hotspur and villa is not a good benchmark. Try playing against messi then we can get back to this
To be fair to the OP,Messi doesn't play in this league!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Early to judge obviously, but he has been very good the last 2 games. Kompany has been average for quite some time now, he is not significantly better than Smalling at all.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He's better than many give him credit for (especially on here at times) but the best in the league might be stretching it just yet. Great improvements under Louis though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
a few weeks ago, he wasn't even rated as being worth a starting spot.
now best in the league
our fans :lol:

matt23

Nah, this time last year he was considered a write off. He's the best defender at he club right now, but he was average at best right up til that red against City. For some reason getting labelled stupid by his manager seemed to spark the change in form.

Grib

knee/jerk
Not really, he was performing really well for the last part of the season past, and has picked straight up again

This could be a break out year for him, hes dominant in the air, he gets touches on dangerous balls that he doesn't really have a right to with them long legs, hes adept at holding a man up, staying on his feet, cool, calm and collected on the ball and under pressure

Not the finished article obviously, his decisions and postioning can still let him down on occasion, but it will come

Now best in the league? Not sure if id go that far just yet, but knee jerk, certinly not.

Member 5225

I really wouldn't swap him with anyone. He's an absolute beast. His reputation with neutrals is poor but he really is damn good.

Right now I think he's the best. He's way better than Kompany. John Terry perhaps with his experience may edge it but I think by the end of the season Smalling will surpass him.
:lol: baaaahaha - not sure if serious!

He's been good, sure....but the best in the league?! That's laughable.

DWelbz19

He's been top three for at least a season or so. Terry is better but the Chelsea system really supports him - he's very rarely forced to play with the ball and has the best #6 and LB in the league beside him.
Koscielny is just as athletic as Smalling, and probably better on the ball, but I don't think he's near as good in a one on one or in the air as Smalling.

Can't think of anyone else on that sort of level, I'd say Fonte, Alderweireld, Williams, Sakho etc. all follow a level or two behind.

Precaution

Absolutely rubbish last season along with Evans + Jones, this season he looks more composed and more of a brick wall than paper mache but to say "best defender in the league" is jumping somewhat.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

The narrative from the majority on here all summer has been Smalling+One.

DWelbz19

Absolutely rubbish last season along with Evans + Jones, this season he looks more composed and more of a brick wall than paper mache but to say "best defender in the league" is jumping somewhat.
Absolutely rubbish? Nonsense. He was the only one in the back four from January onward who actually looked good enough.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
How do people have such short memories

Mister_Stubbs

He is getting better with age and experience, I still wouldn't say he is the best defender in the league though but he is ours for sure.

Gerald G

The narrative from the majority on here all summer has been Smalling+One.
Exactly. It's been Smalling + another CB to partner him all summer. I'm not saying he's the best CB in the league but he would be in my top five.

settembrini

He's one of the best and is still improving.

He will always be handicapped by his limited ability on the ball but in defending terms he is top draw.

Absolutely amazing that if Jones hadn't gone on another trip to the treatment room we could have started the season with him on the bench.

Smores

Bit of an embarrassing thread to be honest. He did okay last season but made plenty of mistakes. This season he's been excellent but it's been two games and one of those was against Aston Villa!

If he carried his form through the rest of the season then sure.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Kosielny, Fonte, Terry, Ivanovic, Kompany, etc are better than him.....as a start (just crude 2 second thinking).
I wonder how Terry would do playing in a high line like ours. Didn't work too well for him when AVB was there.

I would never swap Smalling for Ivanovic, Fonte or Kompany

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Kosielny, Fonte, Terry, Ivanovic, Kompany, etc are better than him.....as a start (just crude 2 second thinking).
Kompany bloody well isn't.

He's still riding his reputation from two years ago, he's been cack for ages.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
or ive read many a fickle stream of threads here.

will await the Rooney is world class thread when he scores a couple in a few weeks
The majority on here was been wanting smalling and a new CB as our starting pair. I don't know where you got that from

Gerald G

Fonte better than Smalling? No way. Ivanovic doesn't even play as a CB and hasn't for a long time and Kompany hasn't been that good for a while but I still think he's a good defender. Smalling is in my top five for sure.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The majority on here was been wanting smalling and a new CB as our starting pair. I don't know where you got that from
plenty didn't.

don't get me wrong though, I think he has all the attributes, height, pace, strength. just hope he can avoid injuries and be a mainstay

mu77

no, but he's good and should be picked ahead of any cb at the club. we will see this season with some protection in front of the back 4 where we stand going forward at the back. (see what i did there)

Clas Sified

Don't let Glaston see that :nervous:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
a few weeks ago, he wasn't even rated as being worth a starting spot.
now best in the league
our fans :lol:
A few weeks ago 3/4 of people said that they wanted (and expected) Smalling to be a starter so you're talking bollocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.