Is Solskjaer an attacking manager?

snowkarl

Please give me any examples of us parking the bus at 0-0?

None of the games we played in premier league have we parked the bus that ive seen.
We time wasted against AZ Alkmaar just last night at 0-0, even worse.

reddevil702

During the initial 3 months as manager he was. Now he's a park the bus to counterattack, with a little unorganized pressing type of manager.

always_hoping

He was an attacking manager when he was a caretaker manager. Since he got the job full time he has felt the huge pressure on his shoulders that comes with this job and more experienced managers (LVG,Jose) than Ole couldn't cope with.

The fear of losing has overtook the desire to win it seems. Now we see a cautious approach with two CDMs protecting the back four in every game no matter if its Arsenal or Rochdale. Full backs aren't given the license to roam up forward as much as they did when he was caretaker manager and midfielders who use to play off the cuff and had loads of forward passes are not either playing side way or backward passing which is basically low risk football and very boring to watch.

just2moreplayers

He can't afford to set up as an attacking side. The team is just nowhere near good enough so would get slaughtered by many teams if he did.

always_hoping

He can't afford to set up as an attacking side. The team is just nowhere near good enough so would get slaughtered by many teams if he did.
Compared to playing the way he has them set up that leaves many spectators and pundits slaughtering the style of football that is played against the might of Southampton,Astana and Rochdale.

AlwaysRed66

People go on about him being an attacking manager when he was caretaker, which he was, but then reverted to a negative defensive style. Reading about his past managerial experiences I think his current tactics are more like him than his caretaking ones, which I think he did as he had nothing to lose & knew the fans expected attacking football. I think he just reverted to type when getting the job permanent.

DRM

Can we rename the thread to "is Solskjaer a good manager"

Garebo

What if Matic, Fred, Mata and Pereira were just sh*t? The reality is that they can't move the ball fast and with accuracy.

Pogba doesn't make his self any favours of course with those performances, so he could take a bit of the blame.

Overall, it's not the managers fault that he took over a team with such a terrible midfield. If it was me, only McTominay would be in my plans for next year.

Inter Yer Nan

I don't know what his style is. Perhaps he signed the two defenders because he felt he could get enough out of the young attacking players. If so, then his judgement is highly suspect because we were largely impotent when the new manager bounce wore off. Letting Lukaku and Sanchez go and not getting a replacement in was perhaps a board decision more than his decision so I won't hold him that responsible there.

I'd say he's more of a nothing manager than any defined style. Kind of just goes with the flow with what's in front of him without any real style or ideas.

UpWithRivers

It's a new Norwegian philosophy...sit deep, play sideways slowly and wait till Rashford gets a free kick.

Enigma_87

You know who
People go on about him being an attacking manager when he was caretaker, which he was, but then reverted to a negative defensive style. Reading about his past managerial experiences I think his current tactics are more like him than his caretaking ones, which I think he did as he had nothing to lose & knew the fans expected attacking football. I think he just reverted to type when getting the job permanent.
Spot on.

Lee565

We just spent 120 million on Maguire and Bissaka so why would we be getting slaughtered by teams if we play attacking football with these additions to our line up? Bloody Norwich are better offensively than us.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Moyes should have taught us, if he walks talks coach like a midtable manager, chances are he is a midtable manager
My thoughts exactly.
We got hired a mid table manager in Moyes and we got 7th.
We hired a good quality manager who was past his best, in LVG and we did get an FA Cup and 4th/5th place.
We hired a top class, serial winner. We got 2nd place and 2 trophies.
This season, we have a bottom of the league manager and we are in 10th.

It really does seem to be the case that if you want a top performer, you need to look at a manager with a CV which indicates this.
We don't have the ability turn an average manager into a great one.

Remember that when Fergie arrived, he had won a European trophy with Aberdeen.
"Who?" you ask.
Exactly!

Foxbatt

At this rate we would end up with Fat Sam when we get into the relegation battle.
At least we will get the set pieces right and I wonder who will play CF since we don't have anyone up front who can head the ball?

mattsville

Thread on it after a few games and rightly so, it has changed from all out attack to caution, we simply are not committing enough men forward to attack, we did when he was interim, no pressure, then we signed defensive players and strengthened our defence which I thought would allow us to continue to attack in numbers with this added security, however it appears the mentality has changed to "box clever" and defend as a priority and try to capitalise on whatever scraps we can get but we don't as we don't have clinical forward players, did'nt expect this I have to say. IMHO, I think he should just let them at it again, we might end up in the same position in the league ( I don't think so, think we will win more than we lose) but at least you are instilling the right attacking mentality for future reference, we got this cautious shit from lvg and mourinho, did not expect it from Ole, I think I can speak for most United fans and say we are tired of cautious football, just fecking go for it with the youths, if it fecks up so what we enjoyed what you tried and all these great young players got a good run out with an ATTACKING mentality.

AFC NimbleThumb

At this rate we would end up with Fat Sam when we get into the relegation battle.
At least we will get the set pieces right and I wonder who will play CF since we don't have anyone up front who can head the ball?
Yes please.

Abhinav

Yeah I agree but Jose was his style and he does that wherever he goes. With Ole the problem is he keeps saying the Manutd way and when he used to play.

Utd played counter attack away from home but at home we used to dominate games, teams were scared of coming to Old Trafford. Right now fans are scared for Utd in EVERY game as to what will happen.
Yes, to play that dominant style of football you need a good creative midfield and a clinical forward line, both of which we don’t possess. In absence of this, teams are happy to sit deep with the knowledge that we are unlikely to break them down. We grow more desperate as the game goes on, taking more risks, leaving spaces for the opposition to attack and score.

People hoping for another manager to come and work miracles with this squad are setting themselves for disappointment. We are missing quality in the key areas to have a chance to be effective playing dominant attacking football. The best tactic for us to win games at OT with current set of players is actually to wilfully cede possession and hit teams on the counter. That will however not please the fans and thus Ole will chose the sub-optimal option.

The argument that other teams such as Bournemouth can play dominant attacking football against mid-table teams with vastly lesser resources than United, is a flawed one as it ignores context. When Palace play Bournemouth, they don’t sit deep and play on counter. They sense an opportunity to win by attacking Bournemouth and thus Bournemouth attackers are able to find more space in the opposition half.

Enigma_87

You know who
We have no forwards of quality. Our only midfielder with creative ability is more inconsistent than the Manchester weather.
Where is the top class attacking play to come from?
We sold 75m pounds striker and replaced him with no one because apparently there was no right one available. Whose fault is that?

edgar allan

Apparently is Jose’s fault somehow.

Imagine Jose going into the season with Rashford, Martial and 17 years old kid as striking options.

He had his issues but wasn’t an idiot.
No, follow where the 75 million is now resting...the Glaziers will eat well tonight.

the chameleon

You know it’s the beginning of the end when you get threads like appearing about a manager on the cafe.

He’s obviously just a tactically inexperienced manager that requires his players to be a peak fitness levels. Unfortunately for him, he’s managing poorly coached players and unfit players. Most if these players part multiple failed regimes. He can implement attacking, defensive or tiki-take, these players will still be zombies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Our defence needed addressing this season because we were leaking goals. In an ideal world, Ole would have sorted the midfield and attacking issues too, but we either couldn't get our targets or the board didnt back him. Or maybe Ole actually thought our squad was good enough.

Crashoutcassius

Attacking intentions? where do you get this from? Just because he says so? He also said yesterday's performance was good..

How can a Manutd team rely JUST on counter attack when most teams will sit back?
He will always say positive things it is part of his mantra. Quicker people just get over that the easier their life will be.

Agree we have way over committed to the counter. At full strength I think we will win plenty of games this season but because teams know parking the bus makes the game a coin flip they will often do that and take the coin flip. Lack of experience from ole and probably from our fans too who welcomed the move and change in personnel

Greck

No, he isn't. He's essentially very similar to Moyes, in that he's been honed in very traditional, old-fashioned coaching methods and values.

These type of tactics and methods will work just fine in the likes of the Norwegian league, where the talent level is relatively poor and he's not going up against top-class coaches or opposition players. But they will not shine in the better leagues in Europe.
The red flag was there when by the end of last season he kept talking about fitness when the question asked was why we lacked identity.

Suspect he's also similar to Moyes in their seemingly outdated approach to fitness. Overtraining a muscle doesn't make it tough, it just makes it prone to breakdown and injuries. I see he's adding a sport scientist to his team so maybe he's looking to be more methodical with fitness.

Seij

I think he's a good example of how merely having ideals without concrete plans doesn't work. You can tell your players "attack, run, counter" all day long but unless you can give them specific instructions on how to achieve those like you can clearly see with Guardiola/Klopp you won't have a good time as a manager.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think he's still figuring what type of manager he is.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He obviously wants to be an attacking manager, but as time goes on it looks increasingly likely he has no idea how to actually make it happen. I'm waiting until we get our injured players back (mostly Martial and Pogba) and maybe we'll start looking quite a lot better, but the signs aren't good.

OleBoiii

He's an attacking manager at heart, but it's hard to attack well when you have neither creativity nor consistent goalscorers in your team. I'm not saying that Solskjær is the answer to all our problems, but I honestly think even Fergie would struggle with these lads.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's an attacking manager at heart, but it's hard to attack well when you have neither creativity nor consistent goalscorers in your team. I'm not saying that Solskjær is the answer to all our problems, but I honestly think even Fergie would struggle with these lads.
Everyone would struggle with this squad. But their struggle is scrapping 5th or 6th. Not bottom table.

Imagine a club with 200m in defence plus de gea, pogba in midfield, martial. That alone would work under a decent manager.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The red flag was there when by the end of last season he kept talking about fitness when the question asked was why we lacked identity.

Suspect he's also similar to Moyes in their seemingly outdated approach to fitness. Overtraining a muscle doesn't make it tough, it just makes it prone to breakdown and injuries. I see he's adding a sport scientist to his team so maybe he's looking to be more methodical with fitness.
It's like being employed by apple and start looking for junior programmer to help him. This sort of knowledge should be a given for any manager working in epl..