Is Southgate underrated by the CAF?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
He'd be such a slow moving disaster. The worst kind. Lasting damage as Ineos refuse to lose face.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
In here its obviously not. Many in here are imagining Italy were an also ru n of a team and Southgate caused England "to sit back" rather than them being forced back by a clearly superior team...
The same Italy side literally limped to a second place finish behind Switzerland in the WC qualifiers within four months of that final, and then went on to lose a play-off, at home, to North Macedonia to fail to qualify for the World Cup.

"Clearly superior" my arse.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
as usual, we play shite, uninspiring football, with shite, uninspiring squad picks and lose against anyone in the top 10. yet somehow he’s the right man for the job.
He is so timid and negative. Like the cowardly lion.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you want just British managers or foreign too?

British include Potter, Howe, Cooper, Mckenna. Europen managers there's at least 20 more.
Only Potter is currently out of work and reportedly isn't looking at taking over a national team atm? You think Howe would leave Newcastle? Cooper and Mckenna I'll give you, they might actually take the job if offered

Foreign managers....ugh. Even harder to hire - having zero emotional connection - and harder to screen

diarm

I thought it was common consensus that Italy played the best football in the last Euros coming off the back a record winning run. They are not Pep's City but they played some of the best international football in recent times.
No doubt - they won the thing.

But they weren't so good that Southgate's revolutionary 9 defensive players, a winger and Harry Kane formation was some sort of stroke of genius to counter their brilliance.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Only Potter is currently out of work and reportedly isn't looking at taking over a national team atm? You think Howe would leave Newcastle? Cooper and Mckenna I'll give you, they might actually take the job if offered

Foreign managers....ugh. Even harder to hire - having zero emotional connection - and harder to screen
Jose is your answer.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I dont think it's harder to screen if the barometer is beating a manager who's only pedigree as a coach is relegating Middlesborough. He's had cake walks to finals with the national side, a job which he was only considered for because Big Sam had a glass of wine at the wrong place in the wrong time.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I was ignoring the Southgate bullshit thinking it was made up tosh but just heard Andy Mitten saying it will have been well sourced by the journos and it is INEOS testing the waters - he seemed genuinely pissed off by it. If they’re stupid enough to hire Southgate then I’ve lost all fecking hope.

Andersonson

The last club he managed 15 fecking years ago he relegated that club. No club has wanted him since. Conversation over.
Great logic. And one week ago we was linked with him. Getting relegated with the team he managed was expected, same with Burnley this year. Doesn't mean the managers are "shit"

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Great logic. And one week ago we was linked with him. Getting relegated with the team he managed was expected, same with Burnley this year. Doesn't mean the managers are "shit"
Middlesbrough were a decent mid-table side when he took over. They'd won the League Cup and reached the UEFA Cup final in the few seasons prior to his appointment. Within three seasons they were relegated.

OverratedOpinion

He is clearly bang average as a coach and fairly decent as a man manager. He is a pretty significantly worse version of Ole. I don't care about losing a friendly to Brazil it is just pretty obvious what he is professionally.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No doubt - they won the thing.

But they weren't so good that Southgate's revolutionary 9 defensive players, a winger and Harry Kane formation was some sort of stroke of genius to counter their brilliance.
I mean it was. It caught Italy with their pants down, played a clear part in England's goal and had them in complete control of the game. It's the lack of adjustments in the second half that were the issue in that game
Jose is your answer.
That would be interesting admittedly

soapythecat

If this muppet was ever hired as our manager there would be some serious discontent amongst the fans. It would not be pretty and I can’t see a scenario where Southgate would be given support. Would be one of the biggest, most rediculous elite appointments In football.

OverratedOpinion

If this muppet was ever hired as our manager there would be some serious discontent amongst the fans. It would not be pretty and I can’t see a scenario where Southgate would be given support. Would be one of the biggest, most rediculous elite appointments In football.
There are multiple better managers in the championship and whilst I don't watch it I imagine league 1

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I was ignoring the Southgate bullshit thinking it was made up tosh but just heard Andy Mitten saying it will have been well sourced by the journos and it is INEOS testing the waters - he seemed genuinely pissed off by it. If they’re stupid enough to hire Southgate then I’ve lost all fecking hope.
Where did he say it? If it's the latest podcast an you give a heads up on roughly how far in? Will give it a listen!

diarm

I mean it was. It caught Italy with their pants down, played a clear part in England's goal and had them in complete control of the game. It's the lack of adjustments in the second half that were the issue in that game
Catching a grand but not special Italy side with their pants down is not the flex you think it is. A really good team finds a way to beat that shite well before penalties.

Neil Warnock or Steve Bruce could’ve done the same with such a cowardly tactic and the same squad of players.

Tyrion

I think he would do well at club level. The only question is tournaments with him. Other than that I believe he would work wonders with a youthfull side like united. I really hope united don’t go for him .
I suspect this is reverse psychology but I can't appoint him. :lol:

Seriously I can imagine him doing alright with a young team but international level isn't anywhere as good as club level especially judging by the managers. The best international managers would struggle to get any top job at club level.

i dunno whos arguing about this being the best england squad ever, but we have had better players who have won feck all collectively. The golden Generation my feckin ass..
Thats what I'd say but whenever I see Southgate's critics get told that he has gotten England further than any of its managers have in decades, they normally try and argue the squad is as good as its been since the 60's.

Giggsyking

We can not appoint him now even if he is sir alex 2.0.

The level of rejection amongst the fans is gigantic he will face pressure and it will be toxic from the first second at old Trafford that he will never make it.

Inoes better play their first card right.

Wing Attack Plan R

OP's question is the wrong one. For me it should be "Is Gareth Southgate the most overrated manager on the planet?". To which the answer could very well be yes.

He has a reputation built solely on England's supposed improvement in tournaments. But if you actually scratch beneath the surface of that record, it really isn't what it is cracked up to be.

If my memory serves me right, in 3 tournaments England have played top tier opposition 7 times.

Belgium x2, Croatia x2, Germany, Italy and France.

Southgate won 2 of these games, and lost 5. The two wins were a group game against Croatia, and a knockout game against the worst Germany team in 50 years.

Had he have lost any other games against mid level opposition on route to latter stages of tournaments, he would have rightly been hung out to dry by the UK media.

And not only that, his role at England involves zero squad building or coaching really. It is simply to assemble an 11 from the superstars that are served up on a platter. And based on the talent we have at our disposal, the football is usually awful.

It blows my mind that he is being linked with United.
Bang on. Love this.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We can not appoint him now even if he is sir alex 2.0.

The level of rejection amongst the fans is gigantic he will face pressure and it will be toxic from the first second at old Trafford that he will never make it.

Inoes better play their first card right.
More like Sir Alex 0.0.2-alpha(untested).

Ghirahim

Southgate is ok with great squads, but what is his team building like? Would you trust him with 300 million?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Jose is your answer.
100%. I've said this a couple of times on the caf - Mourinho would be my number 1 choice as the next England manager. He would be perfect for international football as his 'us vs them' mentality would suit a 1 month tournament.

Unfortunately, I don't think the FA would have him. He's too combative - the antithesis of Southgate.

Sir Erik ten Hag

100%. I've said this a couple of times on the caf - Mourinho would be my number 1 choice as the next England manager. He would be perfect for international football as his 'us vs them' mentality would suit a 1 month tournament.

Unfortunately, I don't think the FA would have him. He's too combative - the antithesis of Southgate.
I thought the poster you quoted was suggesting Jose for Manchester United?

AshRK

Always maintain he was very fortunate with the luck of draws. People rave about 2018 sf but then their side of the draw was so kind. One can argue a loss to Croatia should not be happening and maybe a better coach goes past them.

Same in euro 2020(or2021), the draw mighty helped him. The fact that england has such a wealth of talent, probably top 5 in the international football, one should expect better.

Eddy_JukeZ

Always maintain he was very fortunate with the luck of draws. People rave about 2018 sf but then their side of the draw was so kind. One can argue a loss to Croatia should not be happening and maybe a better coach goes past them.

Same in euro 2020(or2021), the draw mighty helped him. The fact that england has such a wealth of talent, probably top 5 in the international football, one should expect better.
It's hard to make an argument for another national team clearly having more talent. I think England are minimum top 3.

England are loaded with talent, but Southgate will let them down again.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
FA's behavior is criminal. Wasting one of the most talented generation with a nice-guy horrible coach who nobody in their sane mind would trust to manage any EPL team and I wouldn't want him to even manage a championship team I cared about

ZainCRse7en

How can a team filled with exciting attacking talents like Saka, Foden, Bellingham and Kane play such dull and uninspiring football? People really want this guy at our club? Ole 2.0 anyone?

tomaldinho1

How were Boro expected to be relegated? They were steady under McLaren, a mid table team who punched above their weight in cups, I think they even won the league cup and did ok in Europe mostly with local academy players. Southgate was backed, he was supposed to build on what McLaren had done not destroy it.

I’m not sure if we have any Boro fans on here but they wanted Southgate gone the summer before and their redcaf equivalent is full of people blaming the owner keeping Southgate at the time. Interestingly you can see some discontent on there about Carrick building now although he’s had very little backing and did well last season so there’s a little more patience.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Like I said days ago, the rumors are being fueled by an agent or agents who are looking to boost the profile of a coach that will soon be out of a job and looking for club level opportunities.
The idea that we would employ him is asinine. The man has not coached at club level in 14 fecking years. I can’t believe this rumor has been given so much airtime.

Ole'sgunnarwin

You can talk about tactics and so on. There were a few issues but if you start Maguire, who is genuinely useless and has way too many huge mistakes in him and Conor Gallagher who is painfully average, the attacking options won't matter. It's slow, ponderous, imaginative. If Tomori and Mainoo played instead, there'd be more pace, can press a little higher, play more intricate football. It's all too slow.

lex talionis

Rumors of Southgate have to be a psyops plan by Sir Jim. No chance they would be that brsindead to actually consider him for the job.