Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Barnes, Beckham, Hoddle, Keegan, Ball, Beardsley, McManaman are the only other top wingers for England really. Keegan also players as a CAM and a striker but that's the same for Sterling.

I would have Barnes, Becks, Hoddle and Keegan above Sterling and though.
Becks and Hoddle weren't wingers for me and I don't think Keegan counts either.

Beardsley and McManaman are good shouts though.

Hughie77

He's probably the best player transferred between Premier league clubs, pool to City, City to Chelsea. I think he's the best player to do that.

arthurka

Sterling is probably one of those players who benefits as much as a player can do playing under Pep. It will be interesting to see how it transfers playing for Tuchel.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Becks and Hoddle weren't wingers for me and I don't think Keegan counts either.

Beardsley and McManaman are good shouts though.
How is Beckham not a winger? If anything, Sterling isn't the winger, he is a wide forward. If Sterling is classed as a winger then so is Keegan.

Sterling is as much a winger as Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Salah, Son, who all occupy or occupied the same territory.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Beckham was more of a side midfielder who got instructed to run/track back on the right side the field

Mr PG

Sancho is the most talented English player of this generation despite the fact that English teams have no idea how to use him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If Sterling is one of best England wingers of all times then you really had shite wingers. Bar last year or two, I thought he was always shite for England. Rashford and even Welbeck have better numbers than him to start with. And Welbeck was easily better all around player for England.

SydneyRoughDiamond

Best England wingers I have seen in my lifetime ( Im discounting the likes of Stanley Matthews etc ) would be Coppell, Barnes, Waddle, Beckham, McManaman. Players who play wide in a 3 arent really wingers, which is where the likes of Sterling, Foden, Grealish, Rashford, etc play.

Hammondo

David Beckham at Manchester.Roberto Baggio at Juventus are two mega examples. The right circumtances can make it happen

Manchester City under Pep have one policy. If you are unhappy you can leave. No matter who you are. They are confident they can replace you. They would have loved to keep sterling but he just wasn't happy.
Beckham went to the bigger club though, it's not the same.

CarbonStoolBites

Best English winger since Stanley Matthews?
David Beckham was world class for a number of years, one of the most effective players of his generation, I rate Sterling higher than most but he’s not as good. Becham was legit a top 5 player in the world in the treble season, Sterling was never on that level, and the pool of talent back then was arguably higher. This was during the Zidane, Batistuta, Figo, Raul, Ronaldo, Rui Costa, Rivaldo, Giggs, Luis Enrique, Bergkamp, Vieira, etc era

Nah, Sterling at no point was as good as peak Beckham.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
David Beckham was world class for a number of years, one of the most effective players of his generation, I rate Sterling higher than most but he’s not as good. Becham was legit a top 5 player in the world in the treble season, Sterling was never on that level, and the pool of talent back then was arguably higher. This was during the Zidane, Batistuta, Figo, Raul, Ronaldo, Rui Costa, Rivaldo, Giggs, Luis Enrique, Bergkamp, Vieira, etc era

Nah, Sterling at no point was as good as peak Beckham.
I agree he was never as good as Beckham , I just don't classify Beckham as winger. He was a right sided midfielder for me.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Sterling is probably one of those players who benefits as much as a player can do playing under Pep. It will be interesting to see how it transfers playing for Tuchel.
Its a myth. People have long forgotten good how rookie years were under Brendan Rodgers. He is not someone who will have issues fitting easily in a different kind of football.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Totally different player under Rodgers, he became a much better player under Pep no doubt.
being a better player now in the superior system that was Pep's is not really relevant to the point though. He was super effective for Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool system whilst a raw teenager learning his trade. Frankly he can comfortably be effective for any kind of manager.

arthurka

being a better player now in the superior system that was Pep's is not really relevant to the point though. He was super effective for Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool system whilst a raw teenager learning his trade. Frankly he can comfortably be effective for any kind of manager.
That's what I am waiting to see, I wonder if he works in Tuchels system.

Skills

Snitch
Genuinely interested to see how he does this season.

I think he's one of the most wasteful players in the league (especially the last 2 seasons), who's going from the most creative team in the league to one of the more efficient ones. If he doesn't take his chances at Chelsea, the effects going to much more detrimental compared to city.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
All of Chelsea's attackers are toothless in attack. For the past 2 years their fullbacks have been their best attackers.

I know some fans like to think the proving of a player is seeing how he does in a dysfunctional system but that's a nonsensical way to look at things.

Zen

The 50m Chelsea curse strikes again. Or is it the English player that broke through strongly as a teenager curse?

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
He's ordinary at best. Always has been. His technique is horrible.
He made it all work and was a phenomenal player from 2017 to circa christmas 2019. Never regained his form after that and is now a meaningless player

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Where is that thread discussing footballers' security measures?

Seems amazing to me that this is so rife that one has to fly home from a World Cup because of it. Didn't we discuss aplenty how much adequate security detail would cost and the conclusion was "not too much". And also whether or not this should be factored into contracts - or clubs having their own security for all players, an insurance of sorts.

Mad.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The most selfish player in the league? To think Southgate was getting hate for not picking him recently.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Sterling was finished long before he ever left City and a small purple patch here and there won't change that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely criminal missing that chance. If you’re gonna be selfish, you have to fecking score that.