Is Steven Gerrard a top 5 all time PL CM

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Watching the Sport Bible agree to disagree between a Chelsea fan and a Liverpool fan.

One point they agree they are talking about (Lampard and Gerrard) the two best PL CMS of all time.

I can see the logic for Lampard but Gerrard? Can you be the best or even top 5 if you haven't won the league?

Cloud7

Yep. For me the top 5 are Scholes, Keane, Viera, Lampard, Gerrard.

As much as he’s a prick and represents our greatest rivals the guy is an all time great.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He was very good for a rather long time. His PL league titles speak for themselves.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Yep. For me the top 5 are Scholes, Keane, Viera, Lampard, Gerrard.

As much as he’s a prick and represents our greatest rivals the guy is an all time great.
Agree with this although if Kante plays a few more high-level seasons he'll be in this conversation too.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In fairness, I think Gerrard was better in Liverpool's team than Lampard would have been and vice versa. It's hard to compare them.

Keane, Scholes and Vieira though? They'd have been brilliant in any team

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No, and the above about Lampard isn't true either.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Watching the Sport Bible agree to disagree between a Chelsea fan and a Liverpool fan.

One point they agree they are talking about (Lampard and Gerrard) the two best PL CMS of all time.

I can see the logic for Lampard but Gerrard? Can you be the best or even top 5 if you haven't won the league?
the question is about Gerard. Not about the team he played in.

As much as I hate the prick he was a smashing player. He shone is shit teams the way we wish Pogba would shine in this shit team at United

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think he'd be in my top 5 but it's not an unreasonable shout. He's more highly rated generally than he is on this forum, for obvious reasons. Also depends on how much weight you put on not winning a title even when he was at an obvious disadvantage because of the team he played for.

daveskimufc

Who else is in contention?

Fabregas
Speed
Carrick
Alonso
Butt (he was great feck off)
Essien? (Too short of a prime?)
Fernandinho
Silva?
Makelele
Loved Nicky butt, but he was quite limited. Not great at anything but solid

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Well, the omissions of Yaya.....guys come on.

Yaya, Keane, Lampard, Viera, Scholes, KDB.....not in order but are all higher than Gerrard imo

Tarrou

I’d rather have Carrick in centre mid to honest so not for me

gerrard was top class when he played further forward, that was his world class period for me

Skills

Snitch
Who else is in contention?

Fabregas
Speed
Carrick
Alonso
Butt (he was great feck off)
Essien? (Too short of a prime?)
Fernandinho
Silva?
Makelele
Gary Speed? I don't think he belongs anywhere close to this conversation

I think Gerrard's as much of a CM as De Bruyne and Silva are. You'd have to stick them in the conversation too. Yaya Toure too

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yes.

Interesting to see what folk say given the greatest Premier League CMs debate is arguably the one most skewed by club allegiances.

Hammondo

I don't think he was the best in his team, Alonso was better.

Polar

I would’ve chosen Gerrard before Lampard on my team. Lampard had better technical and offensive skills, but Gerrard was a more dominant player with more presence on the pitch. Gerrard was a great captain with huge impact on the team.

Gerrard is exactly what United miss both as a player and a leader on the pitch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Gary Speed, Nicky Butt, and Fernandinho. The peak of football

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah I’d say so. Scholes, Keane, Vieira, Gerrard, Lampard I’d say in no real order.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

No more love for Yaya? I mean, the guy was a killer. Literally ran over and through teams. Physically unmatched, quick, strong, unreal tekkers, goals, assists, just a brutal opponent.

Yet, no one picking him.

caid

He wasn't even a CM and if were including attacking midfielders then hell no.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
No more love for Yaya? I mean, the guy was a killer. Literally ran over and through teams. Physically unmatched, quick, strong, unreal tekkers, goals, assists, just a brutal opponent.

Yet, no one picking him.
True can remember him just running through our team.

KeanoMagicHat

I think Gerrard was better than Lampard. However, think people shouldn’t sleep on some of the newer midfielders because the PL is as strong as it’s ever been. For years it was Keane Vieira Scholes Lampard Gerrard but now you have to put Kanté and De Bruyne in serious contention with those legends, their trophies and awards speak for themselves.

Tarrou

Yaya is definitely a bit underrated for me

easily a better centre mid than Stevie

Pickle85

For me a top class CM is more disciplined positionally than Gerrard was (or could be?) Gerrard was at his best doing his Roy of the Rovers thing. I don't know how well he would have fared at a side that wouldn't accommodate his marauding. Great player at his best but not too ten cm for me

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Top five attacking midfielders;

de Bruyne
Lampard
Scholes (when he played there for a few season)
Yaya/Rooney/Gerrard

Top five midfielders;

Keane
Scholes
Vieira
Fernandinho/Petit/Carrick/Xabi Alonso

I actually think Xabi was a much better CM than Gerrard. Gerrard just got more attention due to being more attacking.

Zen86

If I had to pick a team, I certainly wouldn’t be putting him in CM. He was better in a more advanced position.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Top five attacking midfielders;

de Bruyne
Lampard
Scholes (when he played there for a few season)
Yaya/Rooney/Gerrard

Top five midfielders;

Keane
Scholes
Vieira
Fernandinho/Petit/Carrick/Xabi Alonso

I actually think Xabi was a much better CM than Gerrard. Gerrard just got more attention due to being more attacking.
You cant have Rooney down as an AM

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
He wouldn't even get into a top four side currently, so no.

Neither would most players of that era, to be fair.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

Only a CM late in his career, he's an attacking mid, closer to a 10 than a CM.

And no I didn't think he was that good, but then I only watched their games against us. Scholes is the best CM in EPL history, just ask Xavi or Pirlo if they agree.

Xavi Hernández: "Paul Scholes! A role model. For me, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. He's spectacular."

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Both of them were at their best when played as an attacking midfielder. I don't consider that position to be a 'central midfielder', so neither are remotely close to top 5. As a Utd fan it was hilarious watching Liverpool 'waste' the majority of Gerrard's career by playing him in a deeper midfield role. Sure he would have some games where he'd be brilliant and single-handedly drag them to victory, but he would also have plenty of games where he made it very difficult for Liverpool to actually build and dominate. Kind of similar to the mistake we've made with Pogba, although obviously Gerrard's work-rate stopped him being the defensive liability that Pogba often is.

Keane, Vieira, Scholes and Yaya are comfortably the top four central midfielders IMO. If you are going to include attacking midfielders then it's hard to disagree with Lampard also moving into that group. Gerrard should have been as well, but as I said he 'wasted' most of his career in a position where he had nowhere near the consistency and control that the others all bought.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I’d rather have Carrick in centre mid to honest so not for me

gerrard was top class when he played further forward, that was his world class period for me
At last someone said it. :cool:

Also Xabi Alonso and Mascherano were both better than Gerrard at the CM position. Gerrard is probably the best attacking midfielder though, he could break a game like few could but game control generally slipped away from his feet.

GMoore23

No way are Gerrard and Lampard the 2 best cm's of the premier league. Neither were as good as Keano and I'd probably have Viera above them as well. Also, neither were even proper cm's anyway. Lampard was closer to a 10 and Gerrard wasn't very disciplined, he just did as he pleased. Benitez even moved him out to the right wing as Alonso and Masherano were more reliable as cm's.