Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
The only thing that is currently wrong with it in my opinion.
So your only problem with it is its fundamental structure? The entire reason the domestic leagues feed into the bottom is to disconnect it from the domestic leagues.

For all of the problems of the current system, of which there are many, it’s based on how well you perform in your league. Which UEFA will always protect as they oversee those leagues. ESL has precisely the opposite incentives.

hobbers

Tell me, on what merits should clubs join this league? And if you are let say Red Star Belgrade or HJK from Finland and want to join by winning their league, are you allowed?

If you are in blue group, if you come last. Do you get relegated and to where? This is not close to alternative to the UCL We know what the purpose is.
Meritocracy all falls down on this point. 64 teams but there are only 2 promotions from Blue to Gold each season. And 2 from gold to star.

Meanwhile the blue league has a massive shuffle every season but they're still all playing for only 2 promotion spots out of 32 teams...

So it doesn't matter how many times Girona or Nice or Leicester play amazing seasons and win their leagues. They'll never, ever see gold league let alone star.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm surprised not to hear more backlash from Real Madrid fans- i mean the champions league is your fecking competition! you practically own it because of your brilliance and history. Yes you could start in a new competition but still, it's kind of throwing away such an amazing heritage by devaluing it.
Now we have another competition to own! :wenger:

Also: meh. Madrid was one of the founders of the CL/EC in the first place. Eventually I don’t think that much will change for fans with the ESL. If it ever gets off the ground that is. All the ‘I’ll drop football and go watch some sunday league” is grade A bullshit and about as believable as the ‘boycott Qatar WC!’ stuff.

When it comes down to it, all those people will just tune in when their club is playing. Again: assuming this all goes through.

I’m much more interested in the details mentioned 2y ago. Iirc the idea was automated offside like at the WC and VAR audio to be broadcast.

JagUTD

Surely UEFA have to boot Real and Barcelona out and replace them with a true ambassador of European football, Manchester United?

antonyrightfoot

Will never happen, football will lose a lot of supporters if it will, will be so boring to play every year the same teams

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So your personal opinions then. Cool.
Logic and experience would tell you that the first year being “free” will suck people in then subs will be introduced, low at first then continually increasing year on year till they hit their sweet spot. I have no doubt it’s built into their calculations. No doot aboot tha

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Great, than they can go directly into Star League. I guess that is what you mean.
I would put the newly promoted teams into the competition in the middle league rather than the bottom one.

I'm in favour of only the elite sides (based on performance) moving up to the top league and staying there (based on performances in the competition) I think that would be interesting.

Berbaclass

Logic and experience would tell you that the first year being “free” will suck people in then subs will be introduced, low at first then continually increasing year on year till they hit their sweet spot. I have no doubt it’s built into their calculations. No doot aboot tha
It's a possibility yes. I'm judging the proposal on what has been proposed.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Now we have another competition to own! :wenger:

Also: meh. Madrid was one of the founders of the CL/EC in the first place. Eventually I don’t think that much will change for fans with the ESL. If it ever gets off the ground that is. All the ‘I’ll drop football and go watch some sunday league” is grade A bullshit and about as believable as the ‘boycott Qatar WC!’ stuff.

When it comes down to it, all those people will just tune in when their club is playing. Again: assuming this all goes through.

I’m much more interested in the details mentioned 2y ago. Iirc the idea was automated offside like at the WC and VAR audio to be broadcast.
I can’t speak for anyone else, but if the “top tier” of European football was almost entirely detached from domestic campaigns, I’d be a lot less interested.

I got legitimately emotional hearing the CL anthem before our opening group game after so many years out of it. It was meaningful because we earned our way back in over 38 games. Being there because we finished 14th out of 16 teams the year before would have next to zero significance.

90 + 5min

I would put the newly promoted teams into the competition in the middle league rather than the bottom one.

I'm in favour of only the elite sides (based on performance) moving up to the top league and staying there (based on performances in the competition) I think that would be interesting.
It is ridiculous. The whole system.

Would Barcelona and Real Madrid be supporting this if we say that first clubs to play in this competition from Spain would be Getafe, Extremadura, Cartagena or Eibar?

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I can’t speak for anyone else, but if the “top tier” of European football was almost entirely detached from domestic campaigns, I’d be a lot less interested.

I got legitimately emotional hearing the CL anthem before our opening group game after so many years out of it. It was meaningful because we earned our way back in over 38 games. Being there because we finished 14th out of 16 teams the year before would have next to zero significance.
I guess that is one of the aspects they could still modify and debate about. Nothing is set in stone anyway.

Like relegate 6 teams and the champions only get in. If you relegate out of the Star division AND not make top 4 in the domestic league, you’re gone entirely. Plenty of adjustment will be made I think to make this gain more support. Isn’t the UEFA moving towards a similar setup next season anyway?

Get Hans Zimmer for a new anthem. :p

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It's a possibility yes. I'm judging the proposal on what has been proposed.
It’s not just a possibility - it’s virtually nailed on. A22 are funded by JP Morgan Chase with a multi billion investment. They aren’t pumping that money in out of the goodness of their hearts.

Starting with low or free pricing and then raising that once you’ve cleared out the competition is business 101. To the extent that it would be more of a challenge to name a company that hasn’t raised the prices once they achieved market dominance.

I mean, I’d be interested if you could think of a single example.

Football doesn’t lend itself to ads. 100 minutes where you can’t sell any inventory is a nightmare for advertisers. It’s the complete opposite of American Football in that sense. There’s a reason that the current deals are split between free to air with no ads (BBC), dedicated subscription (Sky / TNT) and bundled subscription (Amazon).

The only time ads work is when the matches feel like event television (UCL and international tournaments on ITV). But ITV eventually stopped bidding for UCL because it doesn’t make economic sense.

ESL will have to charge a subscription fee eventually. It wouldn’t even necessarily be about greed. It would be about survival.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If this SHIT happens, I will stop watching football.

That crap is not football and I have no interest in whatever garbage football will turn into, if that takes off.

Even just on physical level, what kind of idiot thinks players can fly around the world and still perform?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The E.U pretty much stripped UEFA and FIFA of actual power and has turned football into boxing that has W.B.O and W.B.C and whatever.
Yeah. Whether there’s a ESL or not. This has opened the floodgates for other corporations to be formed.

Won’t be long until Saudi Arabia are involved

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I guess that is one of the aspects they could still modify and debate about. Nothing is set in stone anyway.

Like relegate 6 teams and the champions only get in. If you relegate out of the Star division AND not make top 4 in the domestic league, you’re gone entirely. Plenty of adjustment will be made I think to make this gain more support. Isn’t the UEFA moving towards a similar setup next season anyway?

Get Hans Zimmer for a new anthem. :p
In this years UCL we have the champions of:
  1. England
  2. Spain
  3. Italy
  4. Germany
  5. France
  6. Portugal
  7. Netherlands
  8. Ukraine
  9. Austria
  10. Serbia
  11. Scotland
To include them in the top tier of the ESL would be impossible. It’s not something that can be debated or modified as the entire point of ESL is to make sure the top teams are guaranteed to never lose their status unless they are literally the 15th / 16th worse teams in the competition that year.

JagUTD

1. Pending further investigation
  2. Spain
  3. Italy
  4. Germany
  5. France
  6. Portugal
  7. Netherlands
  8. Ukraine
  9. Austria
  10. Serbia
  11. N/A
To include them in the top tier of the ESL would be impossible. It’s not something that can be debated or modified as the entire point of ESL is to make sure the top teams are guaranteed to never lose their status unless they are literally the 15th / 16th worse teams in the competition that year.
Fixed that for you

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah. Whether there’s a ESL or not. This has opened the floodgates for other corporations to be formed.

I think it’s given the clubs a lot more power. But I don’t think there’s much appetite to burn it all down and start again from anyone outside of Real / Barca and possibly Juve. All of the other clubs want to maximise their revenue / control of the current system. It works pretty well for them.

JagUTD

Speaking of 11. N/A that might be a sign of things to come. A European superleague will render the average fan unable to travel to most games with the costs involved and frequency so we will end up with games like the current Old Firm games, which are basically pointless.

Berbaclass

You’re having a giraffe. The whole thing is one big money making exercise, more so than UEFA and the PL.
I watch football for entertainment mate. I don't care that much about the politics surrounding it anymore as I thought you may have worked out by my pro-Qatar support.

JagUTD

Reading up on the new proposals, how does that work when the only two fixtures are Real Madrid v Barcelona and Barcelona v Real Madrid?

MDFC Manager

They probably are involved, and possibly why PSG don't want in.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Get fecked UEFA and FIFA

People who actually love the sport for sports reasons should get together and start something new.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I watch football for entertainment mate. I don't care that much about the politics surrounding it anymore as I thought you may have worked out by my pro-Qatar support.
Fair enough, it wasn’t really aimed at you personally but you can bet TV rights would be auctioned to the highest bidder and would likely be a subscription service or pay per view. You don’t get owt for nowt these days!

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
  1. England
  2. Spain
  3. Italy
  4. Germany
  5. France
  6. Portugal
  7. Netherlands
  8. Ukraine
  9. Austria
  10. Serbia
  11. Scotland
They’d just do the top 5 leagues. Again; not saying I have the answers. But adjustments will most likely be made to push this through.

_____
The ‘dreams cant be buy’ crowd do know how the current PL started yes? Kinda ironic all this hysteria.

EireRed_GS

Im very skeptical of MUFC's statement and their true intentions.. They showed in the past they are more than happy to jump onto something like this make them unbelievable amount of ££ (which they desperately need)

The Glazers were up there with Perez spearheading the initial SL idea. It doesn't make sense to claim to not be interested now. I say give it time and their stance will slowly change if the league starts to get some backing.

saivet

They’d just do the top 5 leagues. Again; not saying I have the answers. But adjustments will most likely be made to push this through.

_____
The ‘dreams cant be buy’ crowd do know how the current PL started yes? Kinda ironic all this hysteria.
Adjustments can be made but the ESL would be losing credibility. They already had one failed attempt, in spectacular and now a second attempt that looks like it will fail just as quickly too.

I don't think Barca and Real Madrid can keep coming back with different iterations of the ESL until everyone is happy. I think fans, media and other clubs will get fed up if this is the approach.

They are claiming the existing model is currently flawed but chopping and changing their own format and ideas at each turn.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Adjustments can be made but the ESL would be losing credibility. They already had one failed attempt, in spectacular and now a second attempt that looks like it will fail just as quickly too.

I don't think Barca and Real Madrid can keep coming back with different iterations of the ESL until everyone is happy. I think fans, media and other clubs will get fed up if this is the approach.

They are claiming the existing model is currently flawed but chopping and changing their own format and ideas at each turn.
Good point, the whole PR and focused strategy needs to be there for this to get going.

I don’t care much either way. Whether it is the CL or ESL. Just want to enjoy good football and bonus for my own team to be on top. All the politics surrounding this stuff has been tiring.