Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Why would he? He’s well aware of the current political climate in England regarding the super league. If anything, he’ll have hopes of creating a competition that will eventually have clubs from England. Nothing whatsoever suggests he’s banking on them from day one given what happened to begin with

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Wait what? Is it your interpretation of "the idea of a pre-authorisation system (to approve/block rival events) and sanction clubs/people is fine. It just needs to be tempered by a predictable / fair framework." ?
That seems to be the interpretation of that Tweet, but going by the image attached, specifically number 144: unless I’m mistaken, it doesn’t say that UEFA/FIFA need to be the the (only) governing body? Just states that the organisation and competition should be subject to common rule. But maybe there is a reference to another portion of the ruling that does state this.

clarkydaz

Why would he? He’s well aware of the current political climate in England regarding the super league. If anything, he’ll have hopes of creating a competition that will eventually have clubs from England. Nothing whatsoever suggests he’s banking on them from day one given what happened to begin with
The whole point of the superleague is cashing in off the premier league's back. thats why it broke down

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Those clubs get bought out now. Leicester, Monaco, you name it. Any club that does well for even one season lose their players. Nothing changes in that regard and should not be an argument.
The point is Leicester and Monaco got to compete in the Champions League (as they should, seeing as they were Champions) the following season with players they retained (such as Vardy) and with the windfall from players sales. In the ESL, they would still be two winning seasons away from the top tier because the ESL is designed to diminish the importance of domestic leagues.

I can’t tell if people ignoring this are trolling or not.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
The point is Leicester and Monaco got to compete in the Champions League (as they should, seeing as they were Champions) the following season with players they retained (such as Vardy) and with the windfall from players sales. In the ESL, they would still be two winning seasons away from the top tier because the ESL is designed to diminish the importance of domestic leagues.

I can’t tell if people ignoring this are trolling or not.
That is literally the second part of my post you have gone through the trouble of removing from the quote…..

saivet

A super league will eventually happen and im all for it. Fifa and Uefa has been ran by corrupted fecks for decades.

I cant understand fans standing behind the elitist corrupted cult. Wasnt the Qatari world cup enough of a wake up call?
I get the premise, but it's hardly like the key players in the ESL are doing this for the good of the game, it's for their own interests. It's a Glazer/FSG dream. They're not corrupt in the same way UEFA and FIFA are but they also don't give a feck about the fans or the best sporting proposition. This is all to try and maximise their profits to then sit on a cash cow.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The ruling essentially amounts to "the existing framework cam't be enforced" . UEFA/the FAs cannot sanction teams for playing in the SL. Nor can they exclude them from their own competitions on that basis, if reports I've heard are correct
That seems to be the interpretation of that Tweet, but going by the image attached, specifically number 144: unless I’m mistaken, it doesn’t say that UEFA/FIFA need to be the the (only) governing body? Just states that the organisation and competition should be subject to common rule. But maybe there is a reference to another portion of the ruling that does state this.
The court could only rule on the situation as it was presented. Meaning said situation is already out of date considering UEFA changed its rules a year after in 2022. If anything, this ruling confirms UEFA/FIFA's monopoly if the changes they made in 2022 are deemed to be an acceptable framework and if they comply with relevant European laws and regulations. The decision, obviously, doesn't say that UEFA/FIFA need to be the only governing body, but nobody else has enough power and leverage to take their spot.

JagUTD

@WeePat, yeah, nice to see Chelsea reject Super League.

Same for City

I hope all major English clubs (ours included) firmly reject this garbage pushed by Feck-entino Pérez and Laporta. They can play with PSG and Juve in a traveling circus league if they want.
Risky from City. They'll be needing a new league soon enough and probably shouldn't be closing any doors.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The court could only rule on the situation as it was presented. Meaning said situation is already out of date considering UEFA changed its rules a year after in 2022. If anything, this ruling confirms UEFA/FIFA's monopoly if the changes they made in 2022 are deemed to be an acceptable framework and if they comply with relevant European laws and regulations. The decision, obviously, doesn't say that UEFA/FIFA need to be the only governing body, but nobody else has enough power and leverage to take their spot.
I mean, unless literally everybody reporting on it is wrong then it's obvious that the sanctions/punishments previously threatened by UEFA and the FAs are now off the table. Otherwise the reporting would have been that UEFA "won"

So there's no excluding teams from participating in domestic leagues + superleague anymore. Technically there's no excluding teams from even participating in both superleague and uefa competitions

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Never say never but I just don't see this ESL getting off the ground, not in the format as I understand it.

Whilst we've already heard from some of the bigger European teams, it would be interesting to hear from what I'd call the second tier teams, those who regularly qualify for the CL but with respect don't really have much chance of winning it, the likes of Ajax, Celtic, Anderlecht, Benfica, Red Star etc, because they are the bedrock and without them I don't think you have much of a competition at all.

Am I allowed to mention Copenhagen here? Because for them to have home games against United and Bayern Munich in the same season is like all their Christmases coming at once.

Would they give that up for the chance to enter the third division of a ESL and then if they're very lucky after 4 or 5 successful years get to sit at the top table for a year or two? I don't think so.

Whilst I didn't support it, I could see the attraction in the initial proposals for a small ESL with multiple games between the biggest clubs, ironically more for the English teams like Chelsea and United, who with respect don't have automatic Champions League qualification rather than the likes of Real and Barcelona who pretty much do.

The UEFA Champions League isn't perfect but the basic premise that performance in your domestic league earns qualification into the following year's CL has to be the starting point of any Super League.

And I don't know maybe the revenue distribution could be changed to reward the more successful teams more but the likes of Real and Barcelona need to be careful not to get too greedy and diminish the competition as a whole, much like they did with their own domestic league.

Reactions: 711

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
That is literally the second part of my post you have gone through the trouble of removing from the quote…..
You mention that there might be playoff for Champions. How many domestic champions would get a playoff?

There are currently spaces for 16 champions: 14 domestic league winners, 1 Europa League champion and 1 Champions League champion. (I forgot the champions of Denmark and Turkiye in a previous post - which is funny because they qualified for the knockouts and Europa League). Champions make up half of the group stage. Plus champions of weaker leagues at least get a chance to qualify for the group stage through play-offs.

A 16 team European league with only 2 relegation spots with is completely incompatible with qualification via domestic league through sporting merit. No amount of tinkering or modification will alter that because it is explicit what it is designed to do.

If people are excited by a closed shop with a higher number of matches between the top teams, that’s fine. It’s just weird to pretend the proposals and any iteration of them are not significantly different from what we have now. It is - by design.

Last edited:

Andersonson

That’s ….. that’s the ESL?
And Fifa and Uefa isnt?

I get the premise, but it's hardly like the key players in the ESL are doing this for the good of the game, it's for their own interests. It's a Glazer/FSG dream. They're not corrupt in the same way UEFA and FIFA are but they also don't give a feck about the fans or the best sporting proposition. This is all to try and maximise their profits to then sit on a cash cow.
Neither is doing it for anyone else but themselves. But one of them are proven corrupt. Doing it for yourself is legal and in some way honest atleast, even though its shitty

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can’t speak for anyone else, but if the “top tier” of European football was almost entirely detached from domestic campaigns, I’d be a lot less interested.

I got legitimately emotional hearing the CL anthem before our opening group game after so many years out of it. It was meaningful because we earned our way back in over 38 games. Being there because we finished 14th out of 16 teams the year before would have next to zero significance.
Was this you bro?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
To be honest ESL makes sense to me from marketing and sporting perspective. It won't be easy to kick start though.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

This crap is not a worthy alternative to genuine issues brought about by the rampant corruption/make more money above all else ideals of uefa and the existence of a few financially doped state-owned clubs. It might start off with some promises of more balanced meritocracy and financial accessiblity, but give it five years or so to rope in the gullible and it would be making the current uefa setup look downright egalitarian.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This crap is not a worthy alternative to genuine issues brought about by the rampant corruption/make more money above all else ideals of uefa and the existence of a few financially doped state-owned clubs. It might start off with some promises of more balanced meritocracy and financial accessiblity, but give it five years or so to rope in the gullible and it would be making the current uefa setup look downright egalitarian.
The format they propose already pretty much gives up the game :lol:

The one condition the SL must clear to have any chance of getting off the ground is at least same qualification system as the current UEFA cups. It's amazing they still haven't accepted that reality

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No… but I am black and I was feeling it, so my reaction was probably not all that different.
Nice one. Stop being normal and level headed though, please and act like a real Arsenal fan. You’re supposed to say ‘feck you Chelsea cnut, at least Ten Hag and Poch are fecking shit cnuts’

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Wait what? Is it your interpretation of "the idea of a pre-authorisation system (to approve/block rival events) and sanction clubs/people is fine. It just needs to be tempered by a predictable / fair framework." ?
Its simple. What do you believe UEFA and FIFA not being able to sanction nor punish any team that joins this rival competition by the ruling actually means?

Because in my view rogue clubs have carte blanche to set up a rival competition to ANY thing UEFA and FIFA have, can choose to govern it themselves and there is nada that those two bodies can do to them, their competition nor their players. Seeking UEFA and FIFA approval is no longer necesary to go forward nor for survival. Its simply courtesy.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

How any Real Madrid fan would agree on this is beyond anything normal. A great club and history from Champions League few have and they want to throw it in the garbage because some few men don’t think they have enough spotlight on them.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Very pleased. The super league was one of my great obsessions and I was looking forward to the verdict.
I'm curious about the format of the broadcasts, if there will be any netflix type apps and especially about the teams, especially those in the supposed blue league, which classic minor league teams will be revived.
I also wonder if there will be an Asian or South American version.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
How any Real Madrid fan would agree on this is beyond anything normal. A great club and history from Champions League few have and they want to throw it in the garbage because some few men don’t think they have enough spotlight on them.
Let's be real. At least a third of that history is a load of corrupt wank.

5 in a row? Spare me.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I mean, unless literally everybody reporting on it is wrong then it's obvious that the sanctions/punishments previously threatened by UEFA and the FAs are now off the table. Otherwise the reporting would have been that UEFA "won"

So there's no excluding teams from participating in domestic leagues + superleague anymore. Technically there's no excluding teams from even participating in both superleague and uefa competitions
Not everybody. See this article for exemple :
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european-super-league-ruling-uefa-laws-b2467796.html

Also, UEFA itself mentionned the fact that the ruling is now irrelevant. It might be true, it might not be (because nobody knows if the framework they provided really complies with EU regulations now) but I highly doubt that they didn't realize the ECJ already took into account their 2022 regulation :
"This ruling does not signify an endorsement or validation of the so-called ‘super league’; it rather underscores a pre-existing shortfall within UEFA's pre-authorisation framework, a technical aspect that has already been acknowledged and addressed in June 2022."

You can read the ECJ ruling, they don't mention any UEFA/FIFA statutes or regulation issued after 2020.

Its simple. What do you believe UEFA and FIFA not being able to sanction nor punish any team that joins this rival competition by the ruling actually means?
You haven't read a single word of the tweet I posted didn't you?

Very pleased. The super league was one of my great obsessions and I was looking forward to the verdict.
I'm curious about the format of the broadcasts, if there will be any netflix type apps and especially about the teams, especially those in the supposed blue league, which classic minor league teams will be revived.
I also wonder if there will be an Asian or South American version.
You really think it's happening? We're MILES away from it, and that's an understatement. Did you miss the dozens of statements of the biggest clubs in Europe bar Real Madrid and Barcelona claiming that they firmly reject the superleague?

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
Let's be real. At least a third of that history is a load of corrupt wank.

5 in a row? Spare me.
They can win the first 5 of the ESL as well, before anyone else joins.

I couldn't give less of a toss about a competition that's designed to keep Real and Barca competitive.

I hope the many foreigners owning PL clubs feel the same, though i fear they don't.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
So bottom line:
UEFA - really bad
ESL - the worst
Football - doomed anyway

What I'm amazed though is seeing so many comments of people basically falling for the most obvious con in recent football history, aggravated by the fact that the conmen happily revealed the entire endgame in their first public statement and that they happen to be famously shady club owners whose clubs have obvious motives to at least try to pull the con.

In this thread we got to see the full collage of all the bad takes that we usually only see in political discussion threads, like "nothing can be worse than what we currently have" (guess what... it can and it will), "it's free so it's better" (something that surely applies to the rest of things in life, right?), "if it's free now it will be free forever" (as the last 40 years of TV's football rights history disprove), "the only problem was the format and now it's fixed" (which points to A- the fact that they conceded on the issue extremely quickly and B- the fact they didn't see the glaringly obvious issue in the first place as way bigger problems), and the like.

My take is that, just like it frequently happens in politics, people get blinded by love-hate on one subject or one person or institution and fail to see the big picture. Of course that can happen to all of us, it's just frustrating to see it happening so obviously and in football.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
You really think it's happening? We're MILES away from it, and that's an understatement. Did you miss the dozens of statements of the biggest clubs in Europe bar Real Madrid and Barcelona claiming that they firmly reject the superleague?
Yes, without a doubt. Hopefully by 25/26 or 26/27.
We'll have to see if over time there are teams that change their minds.
Although honestly I don't care which teams sign up.
Obviously I would like to see Europe's classics united in the project but it seems that won't happen.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Not having doubt about it is in absurd take. At most there's a chance it happens. At most.

Investment banks are not charity, they're adverse to unreasonable risks and won't fund anything if the chances they loose their money is too high. The superleague project was dead in the water in 2021 even without UEFA/FIFA sanctions, there's absolutely no reason to think it's going to happen "without a doubt".

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
We'll have to see if over time there are teams that change their minds.
Although honestly I don't care which teams sign up.
Obviously I would like to see Europe's classics united in the project but it seems that won't happen.
You want to see it happen but don’t care which teams sign up?

I’m genuinely curious, why do you want to see it happen, then?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I think the logic is similar to what happened in basketball with the Euroleague. There was a breakaway there too. The new project won, took over the old one, and the titles are considered continuous. Real Madrid are also quite successful in that competition(s).

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Not having doubt about it is in absurd take. At most there's a chance it happens. At most.

Investment banks are not charity, they're adverse to unreasonable risks and won't fund anything if the chances they loose their money is too high. The superleague project was dead in the water in 2021 even without UEFA/FIFA sanctions, there's absolutely no reason to think it's going to happen "without a doubt".
More than a problem of teams, I think the fundamental question was whether UEFA was the only one with the power to organize the competition, the fear of sanctions, exclusion from international competitions, the denial of monopoly.
The confirmation that the teams can manage revenues and broadcasts.
It is at this point that someone may find it interesting to invest in a minor team. That is to say, the issue is not whether Celtic/Benfica/Anderlecht, for example, are "big" teams now, but the possibilities and the interest in investment that it can provoke in a new competition with high level matches every week, so I do not see it as absurd, as long as at least Madrid, Barça and Juve remain as pillars.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
You want to see it happen but don’t care which teams sign up?

I’m genuinely curious, why do you want to see it happen, then?
- The current champions is obsolete (as UEFA itself sees with its modifications).

- The differences between teams are getting bigger. The first two in the group stage are seen months in advance.
The current champions is interesting for followers of la liga, premier and bundesliga.
Historical teams are trapped in minor leagues, in a loop where their competition does not generate investment or benefits to compete at the European level, except sporadically in a Champions League group where they will finish fourth.
What is the objective of a team with two European Cups like Benfica, to beat its annual sales record?

- The Europa League is not attractive and I think the second and third divisions of the Super League can be quite exciting if organized well.

- There are teams running wild like City with its dozens of irregularities and massive contracts and UEFA has not been able to tackle the problem.
I am not against a team receiving investment and growing but without blowing up the others, so I think that control of the clubs can be a good idea.

- I think that internet broadcasting projects, "Netflix" and new ideas regarding the way to interact could be interesting.

- I don't see it (like many people) as a rival competition to the national leagues.

-The repetition of matches between big teams, two a year, is not tiring to me. It really is the trend starting in the Champions League quarterfinals.
I prefer that to playing against Shaktar several years in a row.

the_cliff

More than a problem of teams, I think the fundamental question was whether UEFA was the only one with the power to organize the competition, the fear of sanctions, exclusion from international competitions, the denial of monopoly.
It is at this point that someone may find it interesting to invest in a minor team. That is to say, the issue is not whether Celtic/Benfica/Anderlecht, for example, are "big" teams now, but the possibilities and the interest in investment that it can provoke in a new competition with high level matches every week, so I do not see it as absurd, as long as at least Madrid, Barça and Juve remain as pillars.
Will be interesting to see if Perez does decide to go ahead and start the super league without the involvement of the English teams + Bayern/PSG. Surely the whole point of this was to make more revenue, I highly doubt a breakaway 'super league' with Barca/Madrid/Juve/Anderlecht/Benfica will make more revenue than the existing format of the UCL.

Perez wants a piece of the epl pie, he can't have that without epl teams in the super league and as long as there are at least 3-4 teams good enough to compete with the English teams in the UCL (Bayern/PSG/Dortmund/Inter/AC Milan) no way is the Super league pulling in more revenue than the UCL. So instead of Madrid/Barca not making as much revenue from the domestic league (Bottom of the table Southampton made more revenue from the PL than La Liga winners Barca made from La Liga last season), he'll also be losing on the continental front as well.

Now you may say that in the super league all of the revenue will go to the founding teams without UEFA and smaller teams taking as much of a cut. Do you trust UEFA not to turn around and offer the bigger teams in the UCL even more to stay in the Champions League ?

Basically no way does this even get started without the English teams joining.

90 + 5min

I think the logic is similar to what happened in basketball with the Euroleague. There was a breakaway there too. The new project won, took over the old one, and the titles are considered continuous. Real Madrid are also quite successful in that competition(s).
So just because other sport do football should?
I haven’t still got answer from pro Super League people. Would for example Barcelona and Real Madrid fans accept Girona going to Super League instead of them because of their position in Spanish league? Same can be asked some other ”big” clubs currently struggling.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
1) The ECJ ruling is absolutely not a denial of monopoly, it says the opposit and states that a monopoly can be accepted if the framework provided is transparent, objective, precise and non-discriminatory so it eliminates the risk of abuse of a dominant position
2) In what world do you think that you can have "high level matches every week" with only Madrid, Barça and Juve as pillars? You'd have more high level matches in the premier league alone. On top of that, there's more and more talks about schedule being unsustainable for players lately, there's absolutely no way teams can decently compete in the SL and in their own leagues. Some think that the SL will bring so much money that the teams involved will almost have 2 full teams, well good luck generating that kind of money with "free football".

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Will be interesting to see if Perez does decide to go ahead and start the super league without the involvement of the English teams + Bayern/PSG. Surely the whole point of this was to make more revenue, I highly doubt a breakaway 'super league' with Barca/Madrid/Juve/Anderlecht/Benfica will make more revenue than the existing format of the UCL.

Perez wants a piece of the epl pie, he can't have that without epl teams in the super league and as long as there are at least 3-4 teams good enough to compete with the English teams in the UCL (Bayern/PSG/Dortmund/Inter/AC Milan) no way is the Super league pulling in more revenue than the UCL. So instead of Madrid/Barca not making as much revenue from the domestic league (Bottom of the table Southampton made more revenue from the PL than La Liga winners Barca made from La Liga last season), he'll also be losing on the continental front as well.

Now you may say that in the super league all of the revenue will go to the founding teams without UEFA and smaller teams taking as much of a cut. Do you trust UEFA not to turn around and offer the bigger teams in the UCL even more to stay in the Champions League ?

Basically no way does this even get started without the English teams joining.
You have given me the answer. Will continental clubs accept being swept by the Premier or accept a different model that ensures more income.
Actually, for many teams, putting it into practice seems like the only solution. As long as the Premier's owners are able to maintain that level of losses.