Is the FA Cup final one of our most important games ever?

Fr. Todd Unctious

I'd fecking love if we stopped the berties from winning the treble.

They've fecked up in the Cup Final before when they were red hot favourites. Although granted not as good as a team as they have now

SAFMUTD

No, our history is based on our own glory not on stoping other team's.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
No.

The first match after Munich.

Without the CL final in Barcelona that we won our treble in there wouldn’t even be a record City are trying to match.

Our first ever European Cup.

The match(es) that got us promoted back to Division One.

The semis against Real Madrid in 1957.

Our first ever FA Cup final in 1909.

That rainy night in Moscow.

The Cantona comeback.

We are not in the business to stop City from winning. Our own triumphs mean so much more than stopping someone else from winning.

Every final is big and of course I want to win this. But because I want United to do well and have success, not because of our hollow opponents.

Reactions: Theonas

Irwin99

How on earth do we beat them playing like that?
No one actually seems to want to discuss this on here, we're already beaten it seems. But even if there's a 1% chance that's better than nothing but people don't seem to want to entertain that. We're obviously not going to get near them in terms of attacking play but the quick transitions-how we beat them earlier in the season- is still an option. Rashford, Bruno, Shaw and Casemiro are going to have to play the game of their lives.

Personally i just hope we are absolutely fired up and even if we lose we can say we played well and gave everything (like our defeat against Arsenal in 2005, where we outplayed them).

GBBQ

Stopping City would be hilarious and I’m praying that they slip up against us or Inter but yeah it’s a cup final for us and we’ve been in many of them.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
City winning a treble, to me, is mildly annoying.

I mean, it's a big achievement, and it's only taken 115 charges of breaching FFP to get there, but I couldn't really care.

If it was Liverpool or even Arsenal, it'd absolutely sicken me.

With City my question is, will they have to hire in paid actors for their parade like they did for this...

Last edited:

Ted Lasso

Couple years ago it was "I'd rather lose the FA Cup final than Liverpool win the league " on here , now it's "FA Cup final is the most important game ever " because City might win another trophy.

Get the Glazers out , clear the club debt, renovate the stadium, revamp our youth system and scouting , back ETH. Then we won't have to be creating such small time threads in panic.

wangyu

It is certainly more important than the last 3 league games imo

RickRudesDong

Even if we win, we shouldn't let it detract from the work needed to bridge the mile-long gap between us and City. And the same applies of we lose. And there is no extra prize for winning it (we'd get Europa League anyway).

If there is no consequence from the game then it can't be that important.

---

EDIT: the big, big upside is that it would stop that disgusting 'club' from winning the treble (and let's face it, in more impressive style than we did).

I don't imagine that our players give a shit about City winning the treble, but United fans do (or at least, they certainly should).

Last edited:

CallyRed

They should just play the 98/99 season review on TVs around the training ground on loop.

Todd

It is certainly more important than the last 3 league games imo
Losing to this City team wouldn't even be noteworthy. They just decimated a Madrid side that not a single one of our players could step into.

Missing out on CL yet again, from the position we've been in, would be utterly embarrassing. It'd affect the club financially and probably impact our ability to sign the type of players we need to be signing regularly if we ever have any hope of getting to City's level again.

The league matches are infinitely more important. Like, it's not even close.

hp88

Losing to this City team wouldn't even be noteworthy. They just decimated a Madrid side that not a single one of our players could step into.

Missing out on CL yet again, from the position we've been in, would be utterly embarrassing. It'd affect the club financially and probably impact our ability to sign the type of players we need to be signing regularly if we ever have any hope of getting to City's level again.

The league matches are infinitely more important. Like, it's not even close.
I have had to watch us get hammered a few times recently, I don't really fancy doing it again in a Cup Final against City.

Missing out on Top 4 isn't the end of the world, might need to chuck more cash at a player but I would rather go without a money grabber and go with someone who actually wants to play for the club regardless of which competition we are in.

Zoo

Nobody is expecting us to win. Hopefully we’ll be able to compete a lot better than the reigning European champions.

el3mel

You know we have become just a pathetic team when some of our fans are considering this final one of our most important just because it will stop our local rivals from completing their treble, instead of being content of our own achievements.

MUFC OK

No I don’t think so. We have to create our own history and so this is smaller than a CL final of our own by a long way. It’s our biggest game of the season though.

Demon Barber

The most important game in our history? Seriously? It is a game I want us to win, obviously, but that is because I always want us to win. The fact that a victory would prevent City possibly winning the treble is a side issue: I want us to win regardless.

Credit to the poster who listed a number of important victories - you could add Juve away in '99 - but I think it is impossible to say what "the most important game in our history" is. Now, is it City's most important game? Probably.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
It's our most important game since the 2011 Champions League final.

Outside of the divs and their Treble hopes, its a great opportunity to see where we're at. Can the players handle the pressure of the occasion? Can the manager?

Purely from an emotional perspective, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to beat those horrible bast**ds in a final. How is that not important?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It’s the FA Cup final, when if ever has the final been a Manchester Derby?

If it was some other team that had won the treble then maybe it wouldn’t be such a big deal, but the treble is one of the defining points of your history, your greatest achievement and you’re the only English team to ever do it.

If protecting that legacy against your closest rival in a final isn’t one of the biggest games, then I don’t know what is.

The only way it could be bigger would be if you were looking to upset Liverpool’s potential treble.

Godfather

No but it's quite a huge game which I expect each and every one of our players to give everything for

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
for us, it’s the most important game in history. for city, it’s a saturday.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
It is hugely important.

Saying that, how great a treble is it when it’s completely inevitable…? I haven’t even looked at the score in the Madrid game and knew City would be going through.

City’s financial doping has meant that in an anomalous season with a fecking World Cup shoved in the middle of it, with every other team utterly exhausted, they’re still fresh as daisies. This is a huge factor that’s being massively underplayed.

Sport should be competitive, and truly great sporting achievements involve some degree of overcoming and struggle.

Something like a treble should have some degree of uncertainty and excitement to it - no great achievement is ever easy… so why is this the case here?

In the CL final they’ll be up against Darmian, Mkhitarian, Dzeko and Lukaku ffs :lol:

Cmon, it should be a treble with an asterisk next to it.

In the FA cup they’re up against a Utd side with no CF that are utterly knackered, while they’ll put out a fresh team every game.

It means very little, and any fan who’s truly neutral knows it.
Absolutely nailed it. What makes it worse for me is when you watch Pep's news conference he is coming across like he has just won the premier league on a limited budget with Port Vale.

Although I agree it means nothing, it is being shoved in our faces 24/7 how great they are.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I want to win a cup final really.

I really want to beat City in a cup final...a Manchester derby Cup Final is a huge occasion and should be lauded as such...regardless of the implications of has on City's season as a whole. Stand alone it's, dare I say....massive.

If it stops them winning a treble, well sure, great. I'd rather they didn't win a corner, let alone a trophy.

But I don't see it as bigger because of that tbh....the game really should speak for itself.

The fact that a league title and European Cup double could be seen as some sort of disappointment is a testament to their quality tbh. They are in frightening form.

I don't remember going into any Cup Final as such big underdogs, so let's see. If we are anything less than absolutely 100 percent on it for 90+ minutes we are in for a horrible afternoon.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Hopefully not, seeing as we’re probably going to get done up the shitter

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Always hard to have that perfect season, but yes, I mean they really should have beat Southampton tbh.
That and unbelievably, the scousers were literally a couple matches away from it last season. Even closer as city went into the second half against Villa trailing, on the final day of the season (if memory serves) & madrid beat them in the final :nervous:

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
That and unbelievably, the scousers were literally a couple matches away from it last season. Even closer as city went into the second half against Villa trailing, on the final day of the season (if memory serves) & madrid beat them in the final :nervous:
Yeah I get what you mean. I've never been so happy to see City score tbh.

That being said there was always most of me that thought Madrid were the better side and would win that tbf...Liverpool were a good side but City just look like the best on the planet right now.

They're underdogs to nobody...strange how it turns out I suppose...worst team in the league stopped City potentially achieving the pinnacle. They'd still have had to win the semi and final but...you'd not have bet against it.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah I get what you mean. I've never been so happy to see City score tbh.

That being said there was always most of me that thought Madrid were the better side and would win that tbf...Liverpool were a good side but City just look like the best on the planet right now.

They're underdogs to nobody...strange how it turns out I suppose...worst team in the league stopped City potentially achieving the pinnacle. They'd still have had to win the semi and final but...you'd not have bet against it.
Yeah agreed. The scousers, from memory, just seemed ruthlessly efficient last season, without hitting the brilliance of previous years (I’m calling all this by memory but I remember them grinding out a few results through clean sheets rather than blow opponents out of the water but I could be wrong), but with this city side and since the turn of the year, they’ve hit another gear and are probably the best team on the planet - by some margin, right now.

Stuoxford

No one actually seems to want to discuss this on here, we're already beaten it seems. But even if there's a 1% chance that's better than nothing but people don't seem to want to entertain that. We're obviously not going to get near them in terms of attacking play but the quick transitions-how we beat them earlier in the season- is still an option. Rashford, Bruno, Shaw and Casemiro are going to have to play the game of their lives.

Personally i just hope we are absolutely fired up and even if we lose we can say we played well and gave everything (like our defeat against Arsenal in 2005, where we outplayed them).
It’s 90 minutes of football. We are a very good side. Everybody fit and rested. I have no doubt we can win the final.
More worried about Bournemouth today