Gaming Is the Gaming Industry in a Rut?

AllezLesDiables

Yes. Of course there’s new stuff and the graphics get better etc. However, the rut has to do with the larger studios becoming the antithesis of gaming by churning out intermittent reinforcement devices with feedback loops concealed as top end gaming experiences.

The thirst shown for scamware like Star Citizen further emphasizes the point.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
PS2 - new games £30
PS3 - new games £40
PS5 - new games £50

That's how I see it anyway. Not a perfect rule.Thankfully new games have come down in price recently because this gen has become saturated with good games.

GTA SA PS2 release price

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news_031104_GTAboxoffice
I don't know what the deal with the funky E in front of the numbers is, but new games have been $60US since the Xbox360 at least.

rcoobc

I don't know what the deal with the funky E in front of the numbers is, but new games have been $60US since the Xbox360 at least.
:lol:

You are saying there was no jump in price between last gen and this gen?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Its not in a rut, but I'd accept that some of the biggest gaming companies are becoming increasingly money-driven, so much so that they haven't innovated enough for the past few years. Loot Boxes/Packs and other such form of micro-transactions have led to companies creating a rehashed version of the same game and even if the reviews are poor, they know they will break even at the very least via these transactions. They know the landing is going to be soft if they fail and hence they aren't taking any risks because that would require money.

rcoobc

Well he's almost agreeing with me

There was certainly a time period where games cost anywhere from $40 to $80 in the Nintendo, early Nintendo Entertainment System era. Video games in general for consoles began to be priced around $50. That was around the PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64 era. Eventually, not so long after that, about 10 years later, the price increased with the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii generation to $60 and things have stayed about there since in terms of console gaming.
In that he is saying there was a jump in price between PS2 and PS3. It seems anecdotally to me that they put the prices up again at the start of this gen, but prices may have come down back to their PS3 level due to competiton.

That's just one mans opinion