Is the January window going to determine where the title ends up?

croadyman

How much would Koulibaly cost right now? He's the only big name that I think we could reasonably sign if we put the money down. He's the closest thing to a "Bruno" type signing.

However Pau Torres and Badashille also have the potential to be inspired signings.

There's definitely an opportunity here for the board to go out and make a real statement signing to hopefully catapult ourselves towards our first title in 8 years. Don't think they'll do it though if I be completely honest :(
Yeah would be happy with signing either of those despite some people taking about Torres not being suited to the Premier League at all, in regards to Koulibaly I don't think there is any interest in him from clubs in January but would still be talking at least £75m.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't know who people are saying we should sign in January to ensure this boost. I'm one of the biggest Woodward critics here but there's no obvious Bruno waiting to be signed so when people say we will 'balls it up' who do they mean we are missing out on?

Don't get me wrong id love a January boost
Bruno was hardly a typical January signing though, he was either one we failed to get over the line the previous summer or one we brought forward from the upcoming summer

Bruno's proved those players can be got, I'd love us to look at Sancho again, he's having a torrid time in Dortmund after the failed summer move so he's hardly in the form where Dortmund would refuse to sell in Jan and even if he took some time to get his form back they'd be a lift just be signing him

croadyman

Bruno was hardly a typical January signing though, he was either one we failed to get over the line the previous summer or one we brought forward from the upcoming summer

Bruno's proved those players can be got, I'd love us to look at Sancho again, he's having a torrid time in Dortmund after the failed summer move so he's hardly in the form where Dortmund would refuse to sell in Jan and even if he took some time to get his form back they'd be a lift just be signing him
Think if we had a proactive board willing to be flexible on things and Dortmund weren't involved in the Champions League then maybe there would be a slim possibility but we haven't and they are unfortunately

SER19

If there's a chance to get sancho now then absolutely, that's the type of one to go for.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
RW or DM for me. With Bailly back and playing well that gives us 3 very good CBs. A RW would give us a more balanced attack and might make AWB more effective. A DM who is really comfortable with the ball would be a big improvement over McT, Fred and Matic. I like all three but I just get nervous when they have the ball in tight spaces. A great DM, though, is hard to find.

Therefore RW is the one to concentrate on IMO.

dev1l

RW or DM for me. With Bailly back and playing well that gives us 3 very good CBs. A RW would give us a more balanced attack and might make AWB more effective. A DM who is really comfortable with the ball would be a big improvement over McT, Fred and Matic. I like all three but I just get nervous when they have the ball in tight spaces. A great DM, though, is hard to find.

Therefore RW is the one to concentrate on IMO.
I like your optimism re Bailly staying fit

Sparky Rhiwabon

Logistically I feel like the January window is just too short for Ed to get any major deals done unless the agent practically gift wraps the transfer to him.

Gypsy-King

If we don’t sign any one then Huge mistake let’s not forget our leaky defence and inability to break sitting teams down we need 3 signings not going to happen In January though.

Foxbatt

A RW is not going to make AWB better. We need a better RB and a DM and then our defence would get a lot better than now.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Everyone keeps saying RW and DM - well we're getting them it looks like. Whether they're ready to contribute this year I really don't know but we won't be signing them for big money and then signing 2 established players on top I don't think. CB is the only obvious position where an established signing might be possible, and if it is I don't know who it would be. RB too if there's a "Cavani" out there but I can't think of one myself.

The Irish Connection

A big 'if' but if Diallo can perform well straight away, it would a big boost.
CB and striker can wait til the summer.
the lad caicedo could do well too.

tomaldinho1

Personally I can't see it - people are forgetting we have signed 2 young RW's and Ole likes to play Mason there. We're also apparently getting this Caicedo kid and our CM/DM area has a lot of options. I'd say we currently have the strongest/deepest squad along with City now Liverpool have their long term injuries & worth remembering Dalot, Pereira, Chong all on loan and Ole does seem keen to develop our youth players as well (Garner, Fish etc. have made matchday squa

A lot of fans slate numerous players in our team like AWB and Martial but, realistically, who is available and wouldn't cost a bomb to replace them? We have a lot of very good players and one world class one - if we can develop Rashford, Martial, Henderson, maybe Axel to the levels we hope they can reach, we will have a great squad with depth and a few truly elite players. Add in if one of Pellestri or Diallo can make the step up and it's exciting times from a squad perspective.

I can see us trying and failing to get Alaba on a free though.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Any one of the following:

• Attack-minded RB
  • Rapid and dominant in the air CB
  • Pure DM (younger Matic with legs)
  • Out-and-out right winger

We need something in January. Even if it's a loan until the summer, just do it. Just one of those areas covered would sort out so many of our issues with balance, personnel and the way we attack.

I know people will mention Diallo and Caicedo but the thread is about winning the title this season. Let’s be honest, expecting either of those to have a significant impact until the summer simply isn’t realistic. But adding an experienced short term option could do wonders to our squad dynamics.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Would be shocked if we made any significant signings this window.

Wicked_Badger

I think injuries & fixture congestion are going to play a more important role in where the title ends up rather than the Jan transfer window.

Can’t see anyone really doing much significant business, feels like there’s far too much doubt surrounding everything right now.

lex talionis

If by “January” we mean new signings, it seems likely that any new signings will be ones for the future, like Caicedo. It’s hard to see us signing another player of Bruno’s quality.

But if what we mean by January is whether our results will keep us in striking distance of Liverpool, I’m beginning to believe that we can stay on the heels of the scouse.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If we were to get Diallo, Moises C and Aarons that would be a super January window. Building for the future but also addressing pressing issues with squad quality and energy. There must be plenty of bargains in South America now if the glazers were to get their chequebooks out.

DoomSlayer

People need to forget about big transfers, we won't be spending more than £50 million on a single player in the near future, considering the financial implications of the COVID pandemic.

But we can still improve the team with smart additions through good scouting and rebalancing of the squad.

wolvored

Sancho has been shit this season right?

How about a cheeky bid at 60 million and then throw in Lindgard and Jones to sweeten the deal
Why would Dortmund want Jones and Lingard? We wont be buying Sancho. That ship has sailed by.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
We are doing well at the moment despite our chl failure so i dont see much happening this window.

Personally im pretty happy with our squad right now.. i dont think sancho is as important as i thought he would be in the summer. Id still like to grab a striker like haland but that wont happen. Also i dont think we can get anyone better than cavanni in january.

We could also use a new cdm but i dont really know who we could grab to make an immediate impact especially in january. Getting another bruno level signing is very unlikely. Though maybe that rm we have coming might be better than anyone imagined.

We all seem to also cry for a new cb.. but if Bailly can remain fit i think we will be very solid there.. bailly and mcguire pair up very well together. Though bailly can be rash at times hes very good with the ball at his feet and is a decent passer. We also have tuanzebe who jas looked solid in his few appearences. The ideal signing is upamenco but i dunno if hes actually better than what we have now. Hes still very young and raw and has alot of improving to do plus adjusting to the prem isnt always easy.

The best we could hope for is some depth in positions. Young players with potential to play in europa league and cup games or close out games. Maybe a more attacking rb??

G-MUFC

We need a proper CB if we're going to get anywhere near the title.

GazTheLegend

We haven't had any paying fans in since mid 2000. Are finances really gonna allow for big money moves?

I reckon maybe a few sneaky free transfers in key areas or at the very least low transfer fees from clubs struggling more than us are more likely than anything else

Indranil Roy

Liverpool may sign a CB depending on their next 2-3 games, if VVD makes a comeback soon, then VVD Fabinho is good enough for them.

Regarding our transfer, we won't sign any new first team players, simply because, the team chemistry is good at the moment, and we are not suffering from any injury crisis. There is positivity around the team and club and no need to disrupt that at the moment. What I am hoping from this window, is we at least try to start talks with Neto who I personally hope can join United in the summer. Neto and Saka are two young players I really like at the moment who play on the right hand side, and I feel Neto has the drive and desire just like bruno to succeed based on the wolves games I have seen.

Matic needs replacement for sure, but Matic/Pogba/Fred/Mct is fine for the end of the season. I really hope we can snag neto for 40-45 million next summer.

Hughie77

Read somewhere that Maybe looking at Max Aaron's from Norwich as right back. I like this kid attacking right back, but if he comes the Dalot is gone for sure.

Bondi77

If we can offload Rojo and Jones then it will be our best window for a while.

Bondi77

It'll shoot up to £100million again if we include Lingard and Jones as part of the deal.
If he has been shit then I say forget about the 60mil and just give them Rojo, Jones and Lingard. Three for the price of one and the Germans love a bargain!

charlenefan

If there's not an emergency meeting called for tomorrow morning asking Ole who he wants in January I swear to Pete...

peridigm

I hope the TFM contract offer is not down to lack of funds for reinforcements. Would be a major kick in the balls when we're on the verge of our best season post SAF. I don't think we need to go nuts in January but a quality CB and or DM would do wonders for our defense. Slim pickin's in the market though.

POF

I'll be very surprised if they sign anyone for the first team in January. Maybe a couple of young promising players.

Watching the Wolves game, the Aarons links are interesting. The lack of attacking threat from the right is frightening.

charlenefan

Who would you try to sign?
Me personally I'd go in for Sancho again but that's neither here nor there, the club must have their targets for the summer bring that business forward. Money talks as they say and if the offers are right clubs will sell

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Who would you try to sign?
Some of the more realistic names we've been linked with recently off the top of my head or make sense for us to be interested in would include:

Badashille
Pau Torres
Orzan Kabac
Zakaria
Bissouma
Max Aarons
Tavernier

You'd also like to think that our scouts have been doing their due diligence and may have a player or two in mind to fit Ole's criteria.

We have such a huge opportunity to push for the title, really hope the club push the boat out for Ole if he has someone in mind!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Me personally I'd go in for Sancho again but that's neither here nor there, the club must have their targets for the summer bring that business forward. Money talks as they say and if the offers are right clubs will sell
I get very confused by our RW strategy now we have signed Diallo and Pellistri. Signing Sancho doesn’t make sense now we have both, and yet neither will realistically make an influential impact this season.

Also CB reinforcement need is confusing as we have Bailly and TZ who can perform the fast no nonsense CB to dovetail with Maguires ball playing assets.

and in defensive central midfield Matic and Fred seem capable of delivering what we need.

so I can’t think of a position where a new incoming can fit it, without it disrupting our current options.

we need a goal machine striker and replacing Matic but those can wait for the summer and beyond.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It’s going to be an interesting January. You’ve got to think this is a buyers market and certain clubs are going to need the cash. If there’s a hint of a chance to bring in a big player in a position we need you have to do it surely?

charlenefan

I get very confused by our RW strategy now we have signed Diallo and Pellistri. Signing Sancho doesn’t make sense now we have both, and yet neither will realistically make an influential impact this season.

Also CB reinforcement need is confusing as we have Bailly and TZ who can perform the fast no nonsense CB to dovetail with Maguires ball playing assets.

and in defensive central midfield Matic and Fred seem capable of delivering what we need.

so I can’t think of a position where a new incoming can fit it, without it disrupting our current options.

we need a goal machine striker and replacing Matic but those can wait for the summer and beyond.
Just getting some new bodies through the door can be a lift even if they don't go straight into the side

Relem

It could do, but probably won't. The top two's biggest priority right now is CB - us, because we don't have a world class CB, and the scousers, because of their CB injuries. I can't imagine a CB coming to the premier league mid season and making a substantial impact. Even some of the very best CBs we've ever had, like Stam and Vidic, took several games to find their stride in the PL.