Is the PL now like La Liga?

romufc

Can they? Since Liverpool have started challenging for the league only Leicester out of "lesser" sides have got results at Anfield and since City have come great under Pep only Wolves, Huddersfield, Palace and Everton out of "lesser" sides have got results at City in nearly two and a half season's.
Liverpool started challenging last year. Lets see how it shapes up until the end of the season.

That is 4 / 18 games.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The reason PL top 10 looks swewed is because how good City and Pool are, similar to when Barca were dominating under Pep. The difference is that within the top 10 we have teams that can go to Pool or City and upset them, this wasn't the case under pep when Barca were flying.
Numancia-Barcelona 1-0, Barcelona-Espanyol 1-2, Barcelona-Osasuna 0-1, Barcelona-Villarreal 3-3, Barcelona-Getafe 1-1, Mallorca-Barcelona 2-1

That from the treble season alone, in which they were far less dominant in the league than City or Liverpool have been

Even in their best season in the league under Guardiola they had draws against osasuna, almeria and espanyol and lost to atletico madrid(finished 9th, won the EL)

It's no different than what is happening with City and Liverpool in the last two seasons is no different. Even the GDs are pretty much the same

Secondly, this is because the top 2 in La liga have dropped in quality, this is seen by the drop in champions league form too.

I dont think Liverpool or City would be scared to play Barca or Real but if you offered those teams the 2 english teams they would be nervous.

The fact you talk about Sevilla crushing it in Europe, English teams had 4 finalist in European competitions last season. This season we have 7 teams doing reasonably well.
I agree with this

And yes, the PL has absolutely swapped places with La Liga. The two best sides in the world, and on average the strongest CL/EL class behind them

romufc

Numancia-Barcelona 1-0, Barcelona-Espanyol 1-2, Barcelona-Osasuna 0-1, Barcelona-Villarreal 3-3, Barcelona-Getafe 1-1, Mallorca-Barcelona 2-1

That from the treble season alone, in which they were far less dominant in the league than City or Liverpool have been

Even in their best season in the league under Guardiola they had draws against osasuna, almeria and espanyol and lost to atletico madrid(finished 9th, won the EL)

It's no different than what is happening with City and Liverpool in the last two seasons is no different. Even the GDs are pretty much the same

I agree with this

And yes, the PL has absolutely swapped places with La Liga. The two best sides in the world, and on average the strongest CL/EL class behind them
These things go round in circles, United and Chelsea dominated, then Barca, then for a few years we saw Baryen / Dortmund then Real (although this was only in CL not in the league) and now back to the prem.

you do not see teams dominant for a constant 5/6 years, so it will always go round in circles.

What we are also seing now is the emergence of Juve, Napoli and Inter. But can they compete with the other leagues?

The reason PSG never made it big is because they are in a poor league where they do not need to get out of second gear and then when it comes to knock outs and they do, they struggle.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The point being that far all the exceptionalist talk, the premier league is no different from any other league

At the moment it's the best. Until 3 years ago it wasn't. In the 90s it wasn't. In the middle part of the 00s it was. Etc...

This idea that weaker teams in the PL constantly give the best sides a run for their money is false, and so is the idea that the same doesn't happen in other leagues

Where the PL is indeed different is the schedule, which is just far more brutal

gibers

The PL is ovverated. Every year there are one or two teams running away with it and they were all trash as they could not compete in europe. Spain had the three strongest teams in Europe.

SweetRightFoot

The PL is ovverated. Every year there are one or two teams running away with it and they were all trash as they could not compete in europe. Spain had the three strongest teams in Europe.
How old are you may I ask? Your statement is true for the last 5 years where Spain have dominated the CL but from 2005-2012 there was only one year where England didn't have a team in the final and in that time 3 different English clubs won it.

Gesalt

Really weird thread, it's almost the opposite.

La Liga has been a 2 and a half horse race since I was a young'un and started taking notice of Spanish domestic football. It's always Real & Barca and a rising star, usually with a good manager and a core of a team in their prime.

Just because we have, probably, the two best coaches in the world in the PL doesn't mean the rest of the league lacks quality like they do in La Liga. We have Marco Bielsa in our 2nd division! The PL is the most competitive league in the world bar none, right now more than ever. Real and Barca can go on beating Sociedad and Legantes 5-0 every fixture but you won't find another league where little teams like Norwich and Sheffield Utd come up and really get the big teams shook.
The fact you mentioned real and Barca beating real socieded 5-0 every fixture show how much you know about la Liga

Real Socieded this season are an amazing team and have been a very difficult team to play against for both Barca and real

SweetRightFoot

The fact you mentioned real and Barca beating real socieded 5-0 every fixture show how much you know about la Liga

Real Socieded this season are an amazing team and have been a very difficult team to play against for both Barca and real
Can you find me any victories they've had against the big clubs? Because Google is turning up a blank.

Gesalt

In 2019 Real Socieded had:
2 victories against real Madrid , 2-0 and 3-1
Lost 2-1 Barca

This season they have beaten ath Madrid 2-0

They have an amazing attacking team and odegaard is a star in the making

Last edited by a moderator:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Can you find me any victories they've had against the big clubs? Because Google is turning up a blank.
Barcelona went like 10 years without a win at anoeta :lol:

And that was the prime barcelona of guardiola and MSN, too. You just picked the wrong team to make a bad point :D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Really weird thread, it's almost the opposite.

La Liga has been a 2 and a half horse race since I was a young'un and started taking notice of Spanish domestic football. It's always Real & Barca and a rising star, usually with a good manager and a core of a team in their prime.

Just because we have, probably, the two best coaches in the world in the PL doesn't mean the rest of the league lacks quality like they do in La Liga. We have Marco Bielsa in our 2nd division! The PL is the most competitive league in the world bar none, right now more than ever. Real and Barca can go on beating Sociedad and Legantes 5-0 every fixture but you won't find another league where little teams like Norwich and Sheffield Utd come up and really get the big teams shook.
It's been covered by others but I find this such an odd view, look at all the different Spanish teams that have played in the champions league over last 15 years. Add in the TV deals they have are nowhere near what most of bottom half prem clubs have and many of them do well to be as competitive as they are.

I do feel beyond the top 2 there is little between many teams in the prem which is good as means more competitive fixtures home and away but feel that's more due to Man. United, Spurs and Arsenal all having poor seasons (same as in 15/16)

I'd imagine Real Madrid and Barca have dropped shed loads of points in away games in the last 2-3 seasons, neither are really that good away from home these days compared to their peaks.

Edit: One part I do agree is championship is streets ahead of Segunda and Serie B in crowds, standard of players and managers and general quality.