Is there a way to get more out of Antony?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's shocking how many people are suggesting to put him on the left. His ONLY strength is crab dribbling and cutting inside. His BIGGEST weakness is passing.
I'd rather play Dalot on LW than Antony.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
There's always a way. The books on various interrogation techniques are out there.

I bet he'll still resist. There's probably no way to get more from him. It's over.

Alemar

Maybe convert him to LB? He has defensive awareness, ball control, and he would be able to cross from the left. RB wouldn’t work

Dannn411

There is no way to get anything more out of Antony. He does not possess the basic qualities to be a top level winger or forward. Simple as that. No speed, no directness, no eye for goal, no chance creating ability. I'm shocked he made it this far to be honest.

Rista

Look at his highlights before he joined us.

One touch through balls, perfect crosses and shots which don’t just fly past the back post.

Sure he might not ever be worth 85m and he’s probably best utilised against low block teams, but he has a lot more to give than he’s contributing at the moment.

He needs confidence, sharpness and a side which controls the midfield and scores goals
so he can take more risks.
Plenty of our players would look good in highlights if they played in Eredivisie. Saying he isn't contributing much "at the moment" makes it seems like he's been here for a couple of months. He just isn't very good, it's that simple.

dutchred

play him as an orthodox left winger and see if he cross the ball

hobbers

Could maybe make a decent dinner lady in the player canteen

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Antony may well be the hill that Ten Hag dies on. He likely knows he has made a balls of bringing him in for such a big fee and will likely continue to use him in the position he was bought for in an effort to play him into confidence/form.

RuudTom83

Maybe Sir Jim can shift him to Nice and see if the French league is more his standard?

Gordon Godot

Maybe Sir Jim can shift him to Nice and see if the French league is more his standard?
Yep, only way to get anythign out of him is to sell at the earliest opportunity. He has no stand out attribute and is too slow, weak and one footed to work for us. How many more games does he play before we get rid?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just accept he's a squad player and then sell him when we can get money for him. He's not the right type of winger for what we want to be, and that's about all there is to it. Can't change him to make him a top player, he just isn't one. He's not a player who can run at fullbacks and he isn't a direct wide player to create dangerous situations, which is what we need. Garnacho is the guy for us on the right, we'll see if Amad is the right profile.

OleGunnar20

I could possibly see him becoming a decent LWB in a conte style 5 at the back, with some serious coaching.

He's got no attributes that are good enough to make him world class in any position though for my money, so what would be the point. Guy works hard and that's something at least.

He needs to move to a slower, softer league. He hasn't got the physical attributes to offset his technical deficiencies for the PL.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
No. I was a fan of his for a long time and it's clear his game is lacking is so many vital areas.

- Quick but not fast. Can't separate himself from a defender after beating. Good wingers are usually both.
- Passing is less than average. Wingers need to provide assists with good crosses and penetrating passes. He can't.
- Lacks scoring instinct. Just chooses the wrong type of shot so many times. When he chooses correctly he is not accurate.
- Can't cross with his right. When a winger gets behind the defense the best play is to usually a low cross across the middle for a running teammate. Antony cuts back to his left more often than not.

I'll bet he is a great keep away player, though.

ETH must have known all this and still spent too much money on him.

WouterWeghorst

Supports
Bald Managers
If you look at situations where he was great, you’d need to change a few things for him to work. At Ajax, he always had a right back who’d under/overlap, always had runners from midfield around him to put balls through to. United don’t have either, which results in Antony constantly looking for a pass backwards. He will go past players when those players are focused on him giving through balls into channels for a RB/midfielder to run into. Also, most attackers (rashford, Garnacho and Hojlund) won’t do touch and goes, which is another of his strong points.

part of these problems are based on tactics (the static front 6 you sometimes see is terrible for him), but also because there is a severe lack of quality around him. You can maybe compare Antony with someone like Dirk Kuyt… who needed others around him to function well in a team, but he’d be great in the right team. I think in this United team, Mount is another player like this. It’s madness that they spend 150 on 2 players who don’t fit in straight away, or fix big problems straight away..

goalscholes

Plenty of our players would look good in highlights if they played in Eredivisie. Saying he isn't contributing much "at the moment" makes it seems like he's been here for a couple of months. He just isn't very good, it's that simple.
Eredivisie quality has nothing to do with some of the qualities he has shown before he joined us, such as perfect first time passes and crosses under pressure, other than the ability to gain confidence against worse opposition.

He can do difficult things easily, which he hasn’t shown for us.

Why? Maybe he doesn’t have the mentality, maybe the opposition is too good for him so he becomes more predictable, maybe he’s adapting his game.

I think he’s probably overthinking things and trying to justify his fee, whilst also adjusting to a new culture. I think he can do better.

But I also find it bizarre we spent so much money on a player who lacks many of the key skills required in the modern game, and doubt he’ll ever be as good as we want him to be.

SAFMUTD

I've seen good fullbacks becoming wingers, but besides Juanfran I can't remember a winger that became a good fullback. Antony offers effort and that's it, he doesn't have any defending qualities for the position. Awful idea.

Cloud7

Out to another club maybe. He doesn’t have any of the physical attributes needed and barely any of the technical attributes needed.

Brophs

The One and Only
Of course. OT is going to need another lick of paint this summer. A wiry little fella like him would be handy on a ladder.

Trequarista10

Playing him at #10 at this level would be an absolute travesty. In the centre of the pitch you constantly need to use your weak foot, you need excellent decision making and vision (big weaknesses of his), you need excellent link up play (which he's just alright at), and you need excellent and varied movement to exploit space (which we haven't seen much of), and that's before even mentioning the knowledge and experience of playing in the position.

He's an inverted right winger, just not a very good one. His best position is as a RW. You get the best out of him by playing him at a level he is suited to, like Eredivisie, SPL, Championship etc. He might be ok as a #10 that level too. Of the suggested position switches I'd lean towards him perhaps having higher potential as a LB/LWB against opposition where we expect to be overwhelmingly on the front foot or chasing the game, rather than as a #10, but that's not saying much.

Stuu

ETH needs to ban him from shooting for a start. Straight up tell him he's not allowed to shoot in the hope that he changes his mindset to focus on assists.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I've seen good fullbacks becoming wingers, but besides Juanfran I can't remember a winger that became a good fullback. Antony offers effort and that's it, he doesn't have any defending qualities for the position. Awful idea.
Ashley Young and Valencia.

Wrecking ralf

Loan him out. I know we’ve paid a lot for him but he’s not getting used to the English game quick enough. Loan him to a lower level team in the prem or even send him to Boro and let Carrick make use of him while he adapts. He needs help to adjust to the way our countries game is played

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Hire the agent that convinced Uniteds people to pay 80mill and get him to repeat the trick with some Saudi club.

Lee565

Remember how di maria was used fo real madrid on the left of a midfield 3 when out of possession and would drift to the left wing and ronaldo would push into central striker role when they were on the attack, maybe we could try something similar with antony

PoTMS

Sell him for parts. How much can you get for a kidney these days on the black market?