Is there any justification for a yellow card if…

The Purley King

That was a very odd decision. He hadn’t even blown the whistle.
Perhaps ungentlemanly conduct but still a strange one.

arnie_ni

Its crazy. Because if he had blew the whistle, and then Bruno does that in disgust there's probably a case for red card (with that ref) so what's he booking him for?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
If I remember correctly a Barca player did the same in our box in the first half when Licha (I think) was laying on the ground. Think that was clearly after the whistle.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think it was justified for a summer of gently fecking our mouths.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Shite shot weren't it.

But is that the line it's okay? A shot at goal? Is a clearance not okay?
I’ve no idea what the line is. That’s why I started the thread. I presume if you have some plausible explanation for kicking the ball in their direction then it’s ok. Bruno had very little excuse though. And I can think of even worse scenarios. Just curious if there is ever justification for a yellow card due to “assault with a football”

MinGin

The law book of Barce's ref is clearly mentioned if he is Manutd player AND he is Burno, that player should be booked.
We are lucky that Burno haven't fight back, the ref was waiting to turn RED for him.

Last edited:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Yes. The rule book is clear.

Attempted murder = yellow
Successful murder = red

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If that happened to everybody that dived, they'd soon stop doing it.

Zen86

Booting it at him was a bit unnecessary and it caused a load of handbags afterwards. Understandable card.

Flexdegea

I'm starting to think them blatant professional tackles like Buesguts did last night should be a straight red. Absolutely ridiculous rugby like tackle so obvious.

They tend to literally stop a 2 on 1 break, possibly a goal and the punishment doesn't fit the crime imo.

If not a straight red should be some sort of sin bin for them.

Think Casmerio did same straight after so can't complain too much about it :lol:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I’ve no idea what the line is. That’s why I started the thread. I presume if you have some plausible explanation for kicking the ball in their direction then it’s ok. Bruno had very little excuse though. And I can think of even worse scenarios. Just curious if there is ever justification for a yellow card due to “assault with a football”
Just a few foods for thought.

Not sure if there's justification for assault with a football. But we've seen yellows given for throwing the ball at someone before, that has caused a bit of handbags. So in that sense, it's like booking someone for causing handbags, which happens enough.

GazTheLegend

Glad he did it it was a pathetic dive by de Jong and to be frank I'm sick of them getting soft fouls especially with that seed of doubt about them LITERALLY BRIBING REFEREES FOR YEARS.

Not to derail things but why we ever allowed literal cheating to go unchecked in football but don't allow players (who are human beings) to get riled up I'll never quite understand. And maybe its fully "games gone yer dad" but Atletico, Barcelona, and many other sides (see: Pep) encourage that sort of shithousing because it's "within the rules". Contextually, referees used to let players get kicked if they started taking the piss, which I never understood but it was usually our players doing it and then getting kicked - but it's, to my mind, all in context.

MinGin

Just a few foods for thought.

Not sure if there's justification for assault with a football. But we've seen yellows given for throwing the ball at someone before, that has caused a bit of handbags. So in that sense, it's like booking someone for causing handbags, which happens enough.
But throwing the ball to someone always happed after the whistle, but this one is like clearance before the whistle and the ball is still playing

GazTheLegend

To whit:. Never a penalty either, joke of a decision and it's irritated me. I'd be frustrated with that playacting too if I was Bruno, it nearly cost us the tie

Smores

It's just under general conduct rules I guess. He 100% did it on purpose in my opinion, De Jong had a late kick at him in the first half and Bruno isn't the type to not give it back.

With the yellow to rile Barca up though.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
But throwing the ball to someone always happed after the whistle, but this one is like clearance before the whistle and the ball is still playing
It's the causing a bit of pushing and shoving thing that makes it a yellow. At least, that's what I think the 'official' reason will be.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I'm starting to think them blatant professional tackles like Buesguts did last night should be a straight red. Absolutely ridiculous rugby like tackle so obvious.

They tend to literally stop a 2 on 1 break, possibly a goal and the punishment doesn't fit the crime imo.

If not a straight red should be some sort of sin bin for them.

Think Casmerio did same straight after so can't complain too much about it :lol:
Completely agree, they really need to do something about those situations because as you say the punishment definitely doesn't fit the crime. I think a red card is a bit too harsh but a yellow is definitely not enough either so I don't know what a good solution would be. 10min in the sin bin, other team gets to place the ball wherever they want for the free kick etc and all the other suggestions I've heard doesn't really sit right with me since they sort of go against the spirit of the game if you will, although that might just be me getting old and grumpy as well.

MinGin

It's the causing a bit of pushing and shoving thing that makes it a yellow. At least, that's what I think the 'official' reason will be.
Then it can be setup a tactic to pushing and shoving thing in every tackles to make important players a yellow
Especially Burno hadn't fight back within that disorder

youngrell

Unsporting behaviour is the only possible explanation. However, if he wasn’t blowing for a free kick then it would be fair game IMO. Players block passes/shots all the time, it’s part of the game.

Flexdegea

Completely agree, they really need to do something about those situations because as you say the punishment definitely doesn't fit the crime. I think a red card is a bit too harsh but a yellow is definitely not enough either so I don't know what a good solution would be. 10min in the sin bin, other team gets to place the ball wherever they want for the free kick etc and all the other suggestions I've heard doesn't really sit right with me since they sort of go against the spirit of the game if you will, although that might just be me getting old and grumpy as well.

Aye it's defo a grey area part of the game, but that tackle in ways goes against the spirit of the game too. Be about since beginning of football but it's blatant cheating, zero attempt at the ball, and the yellow doesn't really give any advantage as it always a player who is not already on a yellow.

Think a sin bin would sort it.

Seen that European ref blueprint for fixing the game, and to be honest looked ok for me, would stamp out a lot of the annoying aspects of footbal imo

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Aye it's defo a grey area part of the game, but that tackle in ways goes against the spirit of the game too. Be about since beginning of football but it's blatant cheating, zero attempt at the ball, and the yellow doesn't really give any advantage as it always a player who is not already on a yellow.

Think a sin bin would sort it.

Seen that European ref blueprint for fixing the game, and to be honest looked ok for me, would stamp out a lot of the annoying aspects of footbal imo
Do you have a link or is there a thread about his euro ref blueprint? Don't think I've seen that.

Abizzz

No the referee was just incompetent. Bruno shouldn't have gotten a card for any part of that.

UpWithRivers

There is no law against booting the ball when the game is live. For me that's the worst yellow I have ever seen simply because there is no law against booting the ball. I don't care if it was unsportsmanlike or even dangerous. If there is no rule broken you cant give a yellow. Its ridiculous. The ref can't just make sht up.

acnumber9

If it wasn’t deliberate or after the whistle then I’d love to know what the feck he was doing. He could’ve just controlled the ball. Seemed obvious that it was frustration to me.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If it's deliberate yes, under unsporting behavior, pretty simple decision.