Is this a red?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
https://abola.pt/Nnh/Noticias/Ver/803870

Having a debate with a buddy of mine who states this is a red because it is a denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity.

My opinion is that the defender is not the last man because there is another defender less then a foot away so there are 2 defenders on Marega which means even if Tapsoba does not foul Marega the other defender is there to challenge the shot. If Tapsoba was the last man then it would have been a straight red but since he was not it is a yellow.

Opinions? I would love to settle this debate.

SportingCP96

Supports
I guess that given the proximity of the other defender there's a case for a no-red.
That wa say take. The guy who committed the foul was not even the last man, I dont see how a ref can give a straight red for that.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's debatable, the Cahill one against Utd the other day far clearer goal scoring chance and only a yellow....

That is premier league refs for you...

I'd say he'll probably get a shot off but not a clear opportunity as covering defender.

Basically up to how clear referee sees the chance as.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's one on one with the keeper, so yes

SportingCP96

Supports
He's one on one with the keeper, so yes
He is not the last man though? so should it not be a caution considering the other defender is there to challenge the shot?

slyadams

I think given the angle and cover, it’s not a clear and obvious opportunity, so no red.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He is not the last man though? so should it not be a caution considering the other defender is there to challenge the shot?
I don't think the other defender is in a position to challenge the shot, hence, clear chance and red

It's 50/50, mind

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
https://abola.pt/Nnh/Noticias/Ver/803870

Having a debate with a buddy of mine who states this is a red because it is a denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity.

My opinion is that the defender is not the last man because there is another defender less then a foot away so there are 2 defenders on Marega which means even if Tapsoba does not foul Marega the other defender is there to challenge the shot. If Tapsoba was the last man then it would have been a straight red but since he was not it is a yellow.

Opinions? I would love to settle this debate.
That wa say take. The guy who committed the foul was not even the last man, I dont see how a ref can give a straight red for that.
Do you even know the red card rule? There's no such thing as 'last man'.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Tough one to call but I'd probably edge towards a red card actually. There's enough distance between the other defender to safely assume that without the foul Marega either has a one v one with the keeper or can potentially square it to his teammate for an open net.

SportingCP96

Supports
Do you even know the red card rule? There's no such thing as 'last man'.
If the defender is the last man and takes out the attacker It is a clear red. If there are 3 defenders in proximity around him and that foul happens you would give a red?

If I am wrong then I wIll gladly be corrected but that was not a pen IMO.

slyadams

If the defender is the last man and takes out the attacker It is a clear red. If there are 3 defenders in proximity around him and that foul happens you would give a red?

If I am wrong then I wIll gladly be corrected but that was not a pen IMO.
Sorry, but you’re wrong. “Last man” doesn’t appear in the rules. If you smash it past the last defender near the half way line and the goalkeeper is clearly going to get the ball and the last defender brings you down it’s not a red.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sorry, but you’re wrong. “Last man” doesn’t appear in the rules. If you smash it past the last defender near the half way line and the goalkeeper is clearly going to get the ball and the last defender brings you down it’s not a red.
Ok fair enough I owe him a beer now:mad:

slyadams

Tough one to call but I'd probably edge towards a red card actually. There's enough distance between the other defender to safely assume that without the foul Marega either has a one v one with the keeper or can potentially square it to his teammate for an open net.
That’s an interesting one, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an interpretation of the rule where they consider an easy pass to be a clear and obvious chance. Looking at the angle the covering defender could, imo, either block the pass or cover most of the goal should he shoot. In my mind the bar for clear and obvious is quite high, usually you see either clean through on goal or having a clear path to an empty net.

SportingCP96

Supports
Say you don't think it's a red and you don't. It's a 50/50 call, literally open to interpretation :lol:
I wanted to have it as a vote and that was how we were going to determine it:lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Red. He denies a goal scoring opportunity.

Last man or not is irrelevant and refs use it to hide behind and avoid red cards.

The guy could have shot in the next second. That's an opportunity
I feel like if we went by that context then one can argue many fouls are reds then. If it is a red for denying a goal scoring opportunity.

I like the different opinions though, A lot more responses then I expected.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I wouldn't give a foul, let alone any cards (even if it was a foul, don't think it was a clear goalscoring opportunity).

SportingCP96

Supports
I wouldn't give a foul, let alone any cards (even if it was a foul, don't think it was a clear goalscoring opportunity).
I think at best it is a yellow. It is a harsh straight red.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I feel like if we went by that context then one can argue many fouls are reds then. If it is a red for denying a goal scoring opportunity.

I like the different opinions though, A lot more responses then I expected.
Don't know about "many", but maybe more. If the upshot is defenders stop thinking they can foul a forward just in case he scores (as they're concerned they could be off), fine by me.

Players are massively pampered and need bringing back to proper rules/officiating.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The real problem in our league are not these 50/50 calls being correct or not, is that every man and his dog know that a ref would NEVER send off a Porto/Benfica player like this.

SportingCP96

Supports
The real problem in our league are not these 50/50 calls being correct or not, is that every man and his dog know that a ref would NEVER send off a Porto/Benfica player like this.
x1000

Thats why this league is utter shite.

fergosaurus

It's not clear whether he would get a shot off due to the other defender being close so no red IMO.

dannyp

Not a red for me.

It's not an 'obvious goal scoring opportunity' imo, helped by the fact that there was another player nearby. It was a very harsh red, especially considering even the foul was a bit debatable.

NinjaFletch

I think it's a fairly clear red card.

These are the criteria that are considered when making a DOGSO decision:

• distance between the offence and the goal

• general direction of the play

• likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball

• location and number of defenders
I think we all agree that that the first three are fulfilled easily, it's close to goal, the ball is clearly under control (in fact it's so under control he's done the covering defender and got half a yard on him with his first tough), and they're moving in the general direction of the defending teams goal, so the only doubt is whether the covering defender is close enough to stop the player otherwise having an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

The key word is 'opportunity' though, there is, for me, no way you can say with any confidence that the 'covering defender' (who is behind play and metres away) would be able to prevent the attacker taking a shot with his next touch. There's always some doubt with DOGSO because you're making a decision about what would have happened if there hadn't been a foul, but with three of the criteria so clearly against the defender and it being very unlikely that the covering defender could have prevented an obvious goal scoring opportunity you're being lenient if you want to only give that a yellow.

Enigma_87

You know who
Up to the ref. There is no such thing as last man. It depends whether the ref sees it as a direct goal scoring opportunity and considering the direction of play can see the ref deciding it's a red.

Probably yellow for me too, considering the other defender could've prevented the situation.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

Id be livid if a utd player got a red for that.

Edit. Not even convinced its a yellow.

Thought for a minute it was shoulder to shoulder but def a push in the back. Foul wound suffice.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Red. He denies a goal scoring opportunity.

Last man or not is irrelevant and refs use it to hide behind and avoid red cards.

The guy could have shot in the next second. That's an opportunity
Yes, fully agree. With the ball on the striker's left foot, the other defender isn't stopping a clear shot at goal from a fairly central position inside the box.

Refreshing to see actually - usually refs shite it there.

arthurka

No clear chance to win the ball. Plus the other defender is there to cover. Where was this ref vs Palace.