Is this Fulham side the worst club in Premier League history?

FujiVice

I mean, Sunderland and Derby had it bad, but they spent a total of 30 pence between them. QPR were a mess, but they stopped up at least once. Fulham has spent £100 million on players this year. Nobody has ever done that. And they dont look like they can string a few passes together. What a horrible club.

If you take into account the money they have and now they spent it and the position they are in, they round up to the worst surely?

Cloud7

I honestly expected them to be much better than they were. After the business they did I expected a 11-12th place finish at least for them. Football eh?

Derby were considerably worse. I dont think i've ever seen a club look so far out of their depth as they did that season. 11 points.

paulscholes18

Terms of money spent you would expect Fulham to have stayed up or at the very least put up a better fight, but the worse team to watch is Huddersfield they are fecking boring, since they got promoted they have failed to score in over 50% of their matches

Cabin Clown

Derby was worse for me. They couldn't score and were getting routed every week while looking completely out of their depth. They were really bad.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Derby may have had the worst players, but for actual effort and output, that Villa team were absolutely shocking.

Carolina Red

Staff
I mean, Sunderland and Derby had it bad, but they spent a total of 30 pence between them. QPR were a mess, but they stopped up at least once. Fulham has spent £100 million on players this year. Nobody has ever done that. And they dont look like they can string a few passes together. What a horrible club.

If you take into account the money they have and now they spent it and the position they are in, they round up to the worst surely?
I can get behind this.

They’ve definitely proven that just throwing money at the squad isn’t always best for the team.

Needham

Derby, hands down. If that Derby team were playing in the modern social media age they'd have quit football to become a full time meme.

Bwuk

Tony Khan, the guy running them, based all their transfers off of stats.

Clown.

Chipper

Adulterer.
They kind of remind me of Sunderland actually, although more the ones that stayed up under Big Dick and Big Sam than the squad that Moyes took down. A ragged bunch of has beens, never will be's, loanees and players you've never heard of.

I thought they might go down, but I didn't think it would be this early. A rare prediction I might get right so I'm posting it - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/so-which-3-for-the-drop-then.440694/#post-22919424

Not very good when they spend big. Remember that Greek striker they spent loads on once who played about 3 matches for them?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Derby by a long shot.

shaky

Fulham probably are the worst, in terms of what should have been expected from them compared to what they actually produced.

Schneckerl

Tony Khan, the guy running them, based all their transfers off of stats.
American with an American Football background. Owns the Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL) since 2012 and this was his approach for recruitment with them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If you base it on a pound to pound and comparison to expectations basis I think our 15/16 side are miles ahead :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Derby were shocking but if you look at the squad which they had it is pretty reflective in the way they performed on the pitch, similarly to Huddersfield. Both were Championship level teams. Fulham comparatively don't have that excuse. Their squad is full of internationals and players who were highly sought after in the summer. They have the worst defence i've seen in the league though and that's what has relegated them.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Huddersfield are the worst Premier League side I've ever watched live at OT. They just had nothing whatsoever. It's amazing how they got promoted with negative goal difference and then survived relegation for a season. Somewhat galling that we lost to them last season when Martial put in the most Martial performance ever.

the_irish123

They embodify what people talk about when Premier League smaller sides just burn money away on flashy names and don't do any scouting or their home work. Vietto, old Schurrle, Babel etc..

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Derby are easily the worst but Fulham are the biggest underperformers considering the money they spent.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Huddersfield are the worst Premier League side I've ever watched live at OT. They just had nothing whatsoever. It's amazing how they got promoted with negative goal difference and then survived relegation for a season. Somewhat galling that we lost to them last season when Martial put in the most Martial performance ever.
I agree though ironically they probably wished they could play Wolves every week.!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The bottom 2 combined are the worst in premier league history by points, fairly sure stats will back that up at the end of the season.

3 wins in last 20 games for the Bottom 4 overall. Abysmal.

Derby managed only 20 goals for in 07/08. Huddersfield are on 18, so that record could go.

Derby conceded 89 goals, Fulham are on 76 with 5 to play. If their heads go down that record could go as well.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
They embodify what people talk about when Premier League smaller sides just burn money away on flashy names and don't do any scouting or their home work. Vietto, old Schurrle, Babel etc..
How old do you reckon he is? Spoiler in white below.
He's only just 28 and 4 months :D. I thought he was 31-33.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Fulham probably the biggest underperformers, given the level of investment pre-season, but Sunderland 05/06, Derby 07/08 and Huddersfield 18/19 are all worse teams.

Robbie Boy

Mitrovic will be a decent buy for someone. But yeah, they have been an utter shit-show.

stubie

Recruitment was poor in comparison to Wolves who spend roughly the same amount, Fulham seemed to have a lot of panic buys as well as an unbalanced squad

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
By virtue of them managing to stay up last season, and beating us along the way (and drawing away at City and Chelsea too) - I think that puts them out of contention for being the worst (I assume we're talking about Premiership runs, not just a one off season).

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Derby are easily the worst but Fulham are the biggest underperformers considering the money they spent.
Pretty much this.

You're admitting that they've spent on a good squad but then saying they're surely the worst? Yes they're the biggest under-performers but Derby's team was much worse.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Mitroglou? The funny thing is he's been relatively decent in terms of output since then
Yes, that's the one!

They have the worst defence i've seen in the league though and that's what has relegated them.
The attack isn't exactly great either since the goals dried up for Mitrovic. Still, a solid defence and they'd have a chance of survival but like you say it's been awful.

The backline is really lacking PL experience, perhaps something they should've looked at.

Mawson and Chambers have some but are still youngish, and don't have that much playing time in the division behind them. Mawson ultimately got relegated last season, as did Chambers the lats time he played much when on loan at 'Boro. Le Marchand is new to the country. Odoi, Bryan and Christie have never played at this level before. Ream has but it was only briefly and long time ago. Fosu Mensah doesn't have a great deal of experience.

That lot in front of a goalie who hasn't inspired confidence and an expensive midfield who haven't provided much protection isn't likely to work out. They could have done with a leader or two in the 27-31 sort of age group with plenty of high level games behind him. They had money to spend so I'm sure I could have found players to fit the bill.

Edit: Even sticking entirely with what they had might've been better, at least it would have been a well drilled unit.

Last edited:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Derby 07/08 finished with 11 points. Their best performance was arguably a loss at home to us (Foster made his debut and saved our asses in that game). Hudds and Fulham are laughably bad but nobody comes close to that Derby side.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Fulham's defence is woeful but they have enough talent elsewhere that with the right coaching they could have easily put up a good fight against relegation. Derby and Huddersfield are hands down worse sides. Sunderland in 05-06 were abysmal as well.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Derby's season wasn't just the worst in the Premier League since 1992, it was the worst in the 130 years of English top flight football.

Wayne's World

Derby and Sunderland have had worse sides in years gone by but this Fulham side would go down as one of the worst I have seen, definitely top 5

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
They are arguably the worst team I've ever seen in the league from a defensive perspective. Only 2 clean sheets all season, didn't pick up a clean sheet until Christmas and have conceded 76 goals in 33 games so far!

I've just checked and Derby 2008 conceded 89. It's not impossible for them to concede 13 in the remaining 5 given their record however they do have a kind run in.

Does anyone know the record for most goals conceded in a season?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Babel looks decent. Could do a job for a better club

Chipper

Adulterer.
They are arguably the worst team I've ever seen in the league from a defensive perspective. Only 2 clean sheets all season, didn't pick up a clean sheet until Christmas and have conceded 76 goals in 33 games so far!

I've just checked and Derby 2008 conceded 89. It's not impossible for them to concede 13 in the remaining 5 given their record however they do have a kind run in.

Does anyone know the record for most goals conceded in a season?
That Derby team you mentioned have the Premier League 38 game season record. Swindon let in 100 in 93/94 when it was a 22 team/42 game league.

All time English top flight football record is Ipswich I think. They let in 121 in 42 matches in 63/64. Charlton have let in 120 before and United 115 (both 42 as well).

Way back in 1891/92 Darwen managed to ship 112 in 26 games, got to be the worst on a goals/game ratio.