Is this the most boring United team for years??

Berlinknives

We have had a good few non event games in fairness, the most excitement for matchday threads on here this year has been for Carling cup games when we get to see the kids. We have no settled team, for obvious reasons, which doesn't help at all.

In seasons recently past we were fluid in attack and had 3 or 4 options in terms of shape and personel. This year we haven't even got one sure fire way of winning games. We have not been 'dramatic' as you put it, for a long time now. I felt this way about last season to be honest, then we were on the side of boring efficiency, now I have to agree with jdmufc, we are approaching just boring. And how we are second and how we beat the german champs with our injuries baffles me to be honest.

Take the amount of 'we need a striker' 'what's the best first XI' do we have no iconic players' threads about. There is something missing. The team doesn't lack talent, but Wayne Rooney and Evra apart (and Vidic at a push) the team lacks personality. Berbatov has the potential but doesn't seem to revel in the limelight the way great players do here.

How many other seasons would players have allowed Fulham fans to 'Olé olé' while they were in possession in our half? Nicky Butt wouldn't have stood for it. Keane once said he'd like Butt beside him in a fight. I'd say the two of them would batter most of today's team. We are not good enough to lack that fight, and it's not just today. I'm a huge Carrick fan but he's just too nice, so is Berbatov, and Valencia and Park, and Nani, and ... etc

Again this may all dissispate if we get a regular team playing and go on a roll. We are a reactionary bunch us football fans.
I meant "Losing 3-0 to Fulham plus defensive crisis" dramatic, rather than just 94th minute game winner dramatic. Things which spark interest for the wrong reasons "dramatic", which is why I put quotation marks on the words.

I don't think reducing rotation automatically brings results, Liverpool have the most settled (make the least changes) and least injury prone side of the top four and look at them. Competition for places, rests from long haul international games and 3 game weeks as well as injuries and suspension are going to play on any side.

I believe injuries have been more unsettling factor than rotation, the only real rotation that seems to be taking place involves Scholes/Giggs/Neville because the squad has been streched enough to make it unnescesary. The Carling Cup games show that the manager can organise a competitive side with any of the players he's got, the problem usually has been rushing players back in and dropping players in at the deep end.

There have been occasions like Liverpool at Anfield, where United feilded perhaps 9-10/11 of their first choice players and there could be no complaints. Other than the Burnley and Besiktas losses perhaps, it's difficult to argue that rotation has been the main factor to the side losing games.

I would say the fitness of Berbatov in particular has hindered the side in recent weeks as an attacking force, he's the most creative striker United have and yet he's been overlooked for the two big games this month. I cannot believe that this was simply for the sake of rotation. With regard to the defence and midfield Fergie's hands are moreorless tied here.

I do think aggression does need to be balanced with composure, Chelsea are not only top of the league but are top of the Fair Play League too. If anything United have aggressive players but the organisation of the side when the team falls behind never seems to be the same, particularly with key players missing.

Plan M

Regardless of how todays match finishes, this team lacks creativity and flair,we have no drive and it seems like not much desire to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

Todays game was always going to be a tough game what with all our injuries and fulham being a very decent team at home,but this thread isn´t just about todays game its about our whole season up untill now, IMO we have flattered to deceive, but for me the biggest disappointment has been how fecking boring we have been!!
Did you watch us in the 80s?!

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
so Paul Edwards and Carlo Sartori didn't float yer boat then?

;)
:(

Carlo was OK.....and to be fair Edwards wasn't as bad as some of the others.

But people like George Graham, Arnie Sidebottom, Trevor Anderson amongst others....

I mean....Alex Stepney was our highest goalscorer for part of that 1973/74 season!

The 1980/81 season was terrible too! I remember the home match against Wolves.....a 0-0 bore draw that even had the Stretty booing the players off the pitch!

I dont find this Man Utd side boring. Sure, it isnt playing to its full potential but we have proved we are capable of turning on the style. When I look throughout the squad I see exciting players with natural talent and plenty of room for improvement.

Mr. Mujac says it was much worse in the 70's and 80's so we should be pleased with the state of the club these days.

Some credit should also be given to ther other teams in this league. They seem to have stepped up their game and the level of competition makes things interesting for neutrals.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Boring? Where was the boring when Owen got his hatrick against Wolfsberg? When we beat West Ham 4-0, Everton 3-0, Arsenal2-1, outplayed Chelsea at the Bridge, what we did to Spurs, our AMAZING game against Man City which ended 4-3 , literally, the list goes on.

This season we have scored far more goals at the same stage than last season which was littered with 1-0 victories. Watching United has been fantastic this season and I'm very excited about the potential of this squad.

It seems that every time we lose some people slate the team in the worst way. Literally giving our lads no respect for adapting so well to losing such an important player and the new players coming in.

Things need to be put into perspective, just look at the defenders missing, we are being forced to play our mid fielders in defence, What exactly were people expecting today? Of course we were going to be troubled at the back.

Boring Manchester United? Not in a million years
that was bosss