Is this the most boring United team for years??

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
It's okay to admit when your team has faults people. It doesn't make you a poor fan or anything.

I can't see how anyone could say we've been as interesting as recent years. We haven't. A lot of our wins have been scrappy and not at all convincing. A win is a win, so I sure ain't complaining, but this thread is about the quality of our football. And it's right. And that's not just based on the injury crisis period. We've lacked creativity and a cutting edge pretty much all season.
Yup.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Boring? Where was the boring when Owen got his hatrick against Wolfsberg? When we beat West Ham 4-0, Everton 3-0, Arsenal2-1, outplayed Chelsea at the Bridge, what we did to Spurs, our AMAZING game against Man City which ended 4-3 , literally, the list goes on.

This season we have scored far more goals at the same stage than last season which was littered with 1-0 victories. Watching United has been fantastic this season and I'm very excited about the potential of this squad.

It seems that every time we lose some people slate the team in the worst way. Literally giving our lads no respect for adapting so well to losing such an important player and the new players coming in.

Things need to be put into perspective, just look at the defenders missing, we are being forced to play our mid fielders in defence, What exactly were people expecting today? Of course we were going to be troubled at the back.

Boring Manchester United? Not in a million years

Boring? Where was the boring when Owen got his hatrick against Wolfsberg? When we beat West Ham 4-0, Everton 3-0, Arsenal2-1, outplayed Chelsea at the Bridge, what we did to Spurs, our AMAZING game against Man City which ended 4-3 , literally, the list goes on.

This season we have scored far more goals at the same stage than last season which was littered with 1-0 victories. Watching United has been fantastic this season and I'm very excited about the potential of this squad.

It seems that every time we lose some people slate the team in the worst way. Literally giving our lads no respect for adapting so well to losing such an important player and the new players coming in.

Things need to be put into perspective, just look at the defenders missing, we are being forced to play our mid fielders in defence, What exactly were people expecting today? Of course we were going to be troubled at the back.

Did you watch most of those games? We were awful against Arse. Spurs and City yes, they were excellent games.

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise

you make some good points but in some of the above games, yes, we may have won, but that doesn´t mean we played good exciting football in all those matches, some we were still poor by our standards.

Ekeke

Regardless of how todays match finishes, this team lacks creativity and flair,we have no drive and it seems like not much desire to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

Todays game was always going to be a tough game what with all our injuries and fulham being a very decent team at home,but this thread isn´t just about todays game its about our whole season up untill now, IMO we have flattered to deceive, but for me the biggest disappointment has been how fecking boring we have been!!
I do feel we're more boring than we have been in recent years. But as long as we're doing well it doesnt matter that much...

Number7

Ret's Slave
Lacking the spark.

Always going to happen having sold the best player in the world though.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Failed to score in 6 games this season so far

Would be interesting to see how that compares to other seasons.

jdmufc

Roboheart
For a boring team, we've still scored more goals than last year at the same point! Go figure.

Muppet.
you´re completely missing the point.

scoring goals and winning matches is great,but its the way in which we do it that makes us manchester united, this season we havn´t done it with that manchester united swagger and arrogance.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
you´re completely missing the point.

scoring goals and winning matches is great,but its the way in which we do it that makes us manchester united, this season we havn´t done it with that manchester united swagger and arrogance.
But you're missing the point where Manchester United always tends to struggle in the first half of the year, its when we get past Christmas when we traditionally turn on the sex. We were shit in the 1st half of the season last year too.

jdmufc

Roboheart
But you're missing the point where Manchester United always tends to struggle in the first half of the year, its when we get past Christmas when we traditionally turn on the sex. We were shit in the 1st half of the season last year too.
ok, yes i agree that we sometime struggle before christmas but we are nearly always entertaining to watch, this year we aint and i´ve gotta be honest i dont see much changing after christmas, i´m not saying we wont win games, just we wont win them in the style we are famous for.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Makeshift back four in that game too.

Don't let that get in the way of your annual hysteria though. I think you only stopped slagging the team off last season when it was mathematically impossible to not win the league.
and rightly so, the team of last season was a dire to watch. Especially after the inclusion of a certain player.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
ok, yes i agree that we sometime struggle before christmas but we are nearly always entertaining to watch, this year we aint and i´ve gotta be honest i dont see much changing after christmas, i´m not saying we wont win games, just we wont win them in the style we are famous for.
We've had some entertaining games, but we've also had alot of changes. Ronaldo/Tevez leaving, new faces, youngsters coming in and then this defensive crisis.

I'm not surprised we're playing poorly, we aren't settled in the slightest. Giggs has carried us this year.

Amir

I felt we were coming along nicely this season. It wasn't brilliant, it wasn't 06/07, but it was better than last season and that wasn't bad at all considering we've lost out top scorer. But regularly changing the team has not helped - and now it's a crazy case of tearing the heart out and fitting whatever 11 we can in whatever positions.

This thread has a place, definitely, but now is a bit of a poor timing. Judging the team right now is unfair. We've had more attractive teams who suffered injuries and fell a part a bit.

jdmufc

Roboheart
I felt we were coming along nicely this season. It wasn't brilliant, it wasn't 06/07, but it was better than last season and that wasn't bad at all considering we've lost out top scorer. But regularly changing the team has not helped - and now it's a crazy case of tearing the heart out and fitting whatever 11 we can in whatever positions.

This thread has a place, definitely, but now is a bit of a poor timing. Judging the team right now is unfair. We've had more attractive teams who suffered injuries and fell a part a bit.
right there, thats my point, i´m not saying we arent a good team and i believe we can still push on and win the title, but you would never say that this team is an attractive entertaining team, good, solid, hardworking,yes, but attractive and entertaining, not really.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
At the moment, we're not very good. We haven't been particularly good all season.

That isn't a complaint, just a statement of fact. It doesn't mean I don't support them, just that I'm being realistic.

We certainly aren't good enough to lose five defenders and cope.

On our day we can be brilliant - but so can other teams, like Pompey for instance. Atm, there is something seriously lacking in the team and it's probably that creative spark.

Because we no longer have a beacon (Ronaldo) the team needs to be moulded into a solid unit - that means playing the same team whenever possible which would also create momentum. Obviously not possible atm.

Even when all the players are fit, we haven't been brilliant. But not as bad as some people would have us believe. With our best eleven we can get a result, but even with a fully fit squad, only an idiot would say that there isn't a problem. It might only be a minor problem...maybe one player could be the answer...but nonetheless, there's a problem.

We might have fared better today with Carrick and Fletcher in midfield because that could have put more pressure on Fulham, rather than on our defence. I'd rather have seen a strong midfield than using two of our best midfielders out of position.

jdmufc

Roboheart
At the moment, we're not very good. We haven't been particularly good all season.

That isn't a complaint, just a statement of fact. It doesn't mean I don't support them, just that I'm being realistic.

We certainly aren't good enough to lose five defenders and cope.

On our day we can be brilliant - but so can other teams, like Pompey for instance. Atm, there is something seriously lacking in the team and it's probably that creative spark.

Because we no longer have a beacon (Ronaldo) the team needs to be moulded into a solid unit - that means playing the same team whenever possible which would also create momentum. Obviously not possible atm.

Even when all the players are fit, we haven't been brilliant. But not as bad as some people would have us believe. With our best eleven we can get a result, but even with a fully fit squad, only an idiot would say that there isn't a problem. It might only be a minor problem...maybe one player could be the answer...but nonetheless, there's a problem.

We might have fared better today with Carrick and Fletcher in midfield because that could have put more pressure on Fulham, rather than on our defence. I'd rather have seen a strong midfield than using two of our best midfielders out of position.
yeah, i agree with all of your post, especially the highlighted bit,i also believe we just need one or two players who can add flair and arrogance to a good solid but slightly boring team.

who those one or two players are i have no clue :(

Had we lost five games by Christmas last year? And it drives me mad how people just assume we will become dream team after Christmas because it's happened before. I can point out a few seasons when it didn't.

Merman

Had we lost five games by Christmas last year? And it drives me mad how people just assume we will become dream team after Christmas because it's happened before. I can point out a few seasons when it didn't.
No, we did not, but Chelsea lost 3 already, Arsenal 4(or 5) and liverpool 7 already this season. Everybody is losing games this season.

Mainoldo

No, we did not, but Chelsea lost 3 already, Arsenal 4(or 5) and liverpool 7 already this season. Everybody is losing games this season.
Because lucky for us the famous Top 4 have been shit this season..... However one will probably move on and Chelsea seem the more likely to do so.

Berlinknives

Regardless of how todays match finishes, this team lacks creativity and flair,we have no drive and it seems like not much desire to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

Todays game was always going to be a tough game what with all our injuries and fulham being a very decent team at home,but this thread isn´t just about todays game its about our whole season up untill now, IMO we have flattered to deceive, but for me the biggest disappointment has been how fecking boring we have been!!
The side isn't boring, it's probably the most "dramatic" team for a long time now. Had it'd been boring, United would've scraped a few nonevent 0-0's and 1-0 victories. I'd prefer boring to "dramatic".

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The side isn't boring, it's probably the most "dramatic" team for a long time now. Had it'd been boring, United would've scraped a few nonevent 0-0's and 1-0 victories. I'd prefer boring to "dramatic".
We have had a good few non event games in fairness, the most excitement for matchday threads on here this year has been for Carling cup games when we get to see the kids. We have no settled team, for obvious reasons, which doesn't help at all.

In seasons recently past we were fluid in attack and had 3 or 4 options in terms of shape and personel. This year we haven't even got one sure fire way of winning games. We have not been 'dramatic' as you put it, for a long time now. I felt this way about last season to be honest, then we were on the side of boring efficiency, now I have to agree with jdmufc, we are approaching just boring. And how we are second and how we beat the german champs with our injuries baffles me to be honest.

Take the amount of 'we need a striker' 'what's the best first XI' do we have no iconic players' threads about. There is something missing. The team doesn't lack talent, but Wayne Rooney and Evra apart (and Vidic at a push) the team lacks personality. Berbatov has the potential but doesn't seem to revel in the limelight the way great players do here.

How many other seasons would players have allowed Fulham fans to 'Olé olé' while they were in possession in our half? Nicky Butt wouldn't have stood for it. Keane once said he'd like Butt beside him in a fight. I'd say the two of them would batter most of today's team. We are not good enough to lack that fight, and it's not just today. I'm a huge Carrick fan but he's just too nice, so is Berbatov, and Valencia and Park, and Nani, and ... etc

Again this may all dissispate if we get a regular team playing and go on a roll. We are a reactionary bunch us football fans.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Our attack has no shape, it's chaotic. No understanding between the players whatsoever. We also play with huge gaps between attack, midfield and defence with little movement, hence the hoofball routine. Lots of players seem off form too.

Fergie's been through this a couple of times already. First time we had some young players that has stepped up. Second time it took us 4 years to really get going again.

We probably all knew this was going to be a tough season, there's maybe more of this ahead but SAF has proven he can rebuild teams so there's hope for us muppets.

OneUnited24

Honestly i think the last United team that really gave me goosebumps was the double winning side and that was dwarfed in comparison to the football we played the season before. I honestly believe since then our wins while some brilliant performances havent been as convincing as they were between 06/07-07/08, in 08/09 we grinded out a lot of wins and this season i can only think of 5 games where we have been at our best and in one of those we lost!

I will never call United boring but you have to admit the quality of football lately has dropped - imo i put it down to our lack of creativity in the final third, with Ronaldo, Saha (hell even Tevez) and Rooney it was explosive and unpredictable but now well its no where near what it once was, im a huge Berbatov fan but he lacks the pace to do things at the speed Saha and Ronaldo used to when working along Rooney.

It may just be me but i have almost writen off this season, anything we get is a bonus but i think what SAF is trying to do is get a new group of players together and begin building another team, it seems now we play really erratic with the players trying to build a understanding with one another but this will take time

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Because lucky for us the famous Top 4 have been shit this season..... However one will probably move on and Chelsea seem the more likely to do so.
The competition is admittedly poor in the league this season, there's no team of United 06-08 or Chelsea 04-06 quality.

Godfather

Although I agree with much that has been said in this thread, we really mustnt forget how many injuries we have to carry this season

gaffs

Our problem is that we only have two genuinely creative players who perform on a regular basis. Rooney and Giggs. Giggs cant play every game, so it only leaves us with Rooney.

Take Wayne Rooney out of our team and we would be lucky to be where Liverpool are.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think we're boring, being unpredictable doesn't = boring, I found last year boring (no real flair in our play or joy, players playing like its a chore) and I can honestly say I've never experienced that before as a United fan.. this year whilst we may be abit crappy in terms of overall quality it hasn't been boring..it can't be as you just don't know what to expect week in week out.

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
Our problem is that we only have two genuinely creative players who perform on a regular basis. Rooney and Giggs. Giggs cant play every game, so it only leaves us with Rooney.

Take Wayne Rooney out of our team and we would be lucky to be where Liverpool are.
Nail on head...Injuries are papering over the cracks we have...

Crustanoid

Players like Anderson and Rooney, who could have been extremely exciting have been guided towards more boring roles in the team.

buckooo1978

problem is our best attacking player this year is 36....

valencia has been a good buy but his crossing, after teasing us in pre-season with a master class against valencia, has been really poor - we expected a lot more from nani

we've really missed carrick's passing in midfield with him playing at the back and anderson's passing has been shocking recently

berbatov needs to get fit and play more regularly - his link up play is excellent - only problem with him though is that he seems to be incapable of anything more than cameo performances - little incidents of brilliance but without terrorising a defence

i think we've looked a much more attacking and exciting team with obertan in the side - he gives us a bit of unpredictability which we lack and i like the look of welbeck when he's played

if you look over the season the one performance you could say was outstanding was spurs away - not good enough IMO

typically united get better as the season goes on though so when we get a few players back from injury there's nothing better than united chasing down a lead and breathing down chelsea's neck

we've got the pedigree - have they got the bottle??