Is this the worst it's been?

rk4utd

Match going supporter home and away since 78. I used to wonder how the hell we managed to get relegated in 74 as a young kid. For the club of our size and history it should never be countenanced let alone be a possibility.

I missed the game yesterday as I’m on holiday in the Far East but caught the score on a screen in a bar - full of local United fans still despite how shite we have become for the last decade or so.

I couldn’t face watching the game whereas in the past I would have been glued to my seat.

I cannot begin to describe how bad my club has become - I’m not eloquent enough. I feel powerless to do anything about it. Will I boycott the Liverpool game? Should I cease my active support forthwith? I’ve got tickets for Leicester away - my son is 12 now and despite our shiteness throughout his whole childhood is now a true red too and wants to ‘go away’ whenever we can. I was the same at his age following Sexton and Atkinson’s versions of United. They were poor teams to follow and watch at times but I never doubted the players’ passion for the club.
Apologies for the rambling - I’m no fair weather fan (I’ve seen it all as the song goes) but when he asked could we get relegated my answer was a definitive yes. Sad times.

Reactions: Varun

Hughie77

The players are just not good enough, where is the energy movement that was seen in pre season where is the proactive football. Its not the worst, realistic 70s was getting relegated then coming straight back up and 2 cup finals in 76,77. And finishing if I can remember 2nd or 3rd on league.
That was back then rebuild was a bit easier as players wanted to come to OT ,now it's harder they only want to come for the money. I had hopes for this season, still have but unless 3 new quality faces come to OT. Glazers your club will finish 10th on about 50 pts or lower. Hurry up and sell the club

MalaysianRed7

I’ve only been supporting us for 13 years, so this is really one for the older Reds. From your memory of watching them, was The Doc’s team, who went down in 1974, worse than the current team? Better? Much worse? More or less spineless?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What a colossal collapse of a once footballing behemoth. I've been a supporter for 30 years and never have I ever seen a United team with so little drive or purpose. It is beyond bizarre.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s only the heat that saved us from worse yesterday. Brentford coasted through the second half and were running down the clock at 4-0 up with ten minutes to go.

The heatwave will be over when we play Liverpool…

Born2Lose

You know you're the new Shambles FC when the original Shambles FC are laughing at you.

This is definitely the worst it's ever been, really needed EtH to come in and show some authority rather than have me questioning if he knows what he's doing as was the case at times with Ole.

RedSG

This is the worst I have ever seen United play. We don't even look like creating or scoring goals despite all the money spent on all these supposedly world class players.

croadyman

The players are just not good enough, where is the energy movement that was seen in pre season where is the proactive football. Its not the worst, realistic 70s was getting relegated then coming straight back up and 2 cup finals in 76,77. And finishing if I can remember 2nd or 3rd on league.
That was back then rebuild was a bit easier as players wanted to come to OT ,now it's harder they only want to come for the money. I had hopes for this season, still have but unless 3 new quality faces come to OT. Glazers your club will finish 10th on about 50 pts or lower. Hurry up and sell the club
We need to sign double that in next 3 weeks (GK,RB,De Jong, Rabiot,RW,ST)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It was worse last season. At least we all have a manager who we can rally around. The window is still open, we just need to try and pressure the club to use it as best they can.

Castia

In my 30 years of watching 100% yes

Shite on the field and absolutely clueless off it. The players we’re linked with are nowhere near good enough. This club is years behind and falling further and further.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Your current side remind me of the 77-78 Dave Sexton side. Not great but finished mid table.

FcUnitedRed

Supports
Glazers Out
In my 36 odd years supporting united from the Ron Atkinson days. This is the worst i've ever known the squad to be.

At least back in the day they showed a bit of grit and detemination and fought to the final whistle. These bunch don't have the bottle to play, they're aleady beaten before they enter the pitch. Absolutely mentally broken.

They say sh!t rolls down hill. This starts from the top!.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's definitely not the worst even over the past few seasons. Result and 'freak goals' aside, we were better against Brentford than Brighton.

We weren't 'totally outplayed' like the narrative states. We made ridiculous individual errors and look weak on set pieces. Nothing new there.

But some of the play through the midfield was pretty decent. We kept the ball well in the second half, but with Bruno deciding to become awful at football and Ronaldo only able to run once every 10 minutes, there was nothing up top at all.

There were matches under Ole that genuinely looked like the team didn't know where they were supposed to be.

AndySmith1990

It's definitely not the worst even over the past few seasons. Result and 'freak goals' aside, we were better against Brentford than Brighton.
I was beginning to think the delusion has evaporated from even the most optimistic of fans by now. But nope, it's still there

Judas

Open to offers
Embarrassing has become a bit of an overused word on here, often used unjustly, but it’s getting to the stage where it is exactly that. I didn’t think this club could drain me more after the last few years, but my god is it beyond bleak right now.

.Phil1968

88-90 were poor . In 89/90 we beat villa2-0 in mid april and only then were we mathematically safe from relegation. However those teams still had fight in them, the teams were just not good enough . The players we have now are technically much better but are lazy and spineless.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Mistakes happen, goalkeepers have awful moments, but it was the clear and obvious panic that made me nauseous.

After the first goal restart, there was around a minute of hustle, then the fear set in and I knew the game was over. It is the defeatism that's been rotting the dressing room for some time now. Each one is looking to the other to bail them out of their malaise.

ThanksBoss26

I've been a supporter since '89 and that season was dire although I was a young kid so probably registered less (and we did win the FA Cup that season).

But yes I can't recall it being worse. Even with the last few years. Since October last year there's times (now for example) where I genuinely don't know where the next decent result is coming from and I can't recall that over anything like such a prolonged period previously.

TrustInJanuzaj

We can't save this season
Depends on what you mean. Can we get top 4 or win some trophies, no I don’t think so. Can we still begin to build a more cohesive team that starts to implement some of ETHs ideas? Yes I’m my opinion we absolutely can still do that. Some patience is required.

Nogbadthebad

I mean that’s fecking nonsense for a start. Yes we can. Imagine throwing the towel in on a season two games in :lol:

The dressing room is utterly broken.

Yes, the players are better than they are showing, people calling rashford, bruno and sancho 'crap', even maguire, are ignoring the evidenceof their own eyes. They have all proved themselves decent players, not pulling up trees, but good enough to deal with Brentford that is for sure.

The problem is mental. Only one player at the club has the mentality to deal witg going a goal down and fighting back. Thats ronaldo. The rest wilt under the pressure. 2008 ronaldo would drage this team to a few wins, 2022 ronaldo can;t do it on his own any more.

Hence now. It won't change this season, It can't. We cannot replace enough of those players to change the mindset.

Its why ragnick failed. It will be why ETH fails too.

dubplate warrior

I woke up today no longer shocked but instead a sense of profound sadness. I don't see a way out for the club and as long as the owners are here it's going to continue to be a slow, painful and potentially terminal decline.

BorisManUtd

Yes. I don't think we ever had this amount of embarrasing losses as we've had since last season. 5-0 and 4-0 to Liverpool, 4-1 to City, 4-1 to Watford, 4-0 to Brighton, 4-0 to Brentford. It's come to the point where you expect us to be beaten and to be beaten heavily, even against 'lesser' teams.

I don't think we'll ever get back to top, or at least not in next 10-20 years. Really expected us to finish 6th this season, but now it's probably 8-10th place, depending on how teams like Newcastle, Villa, Leicester etc. perform.

mark_a

4 down at half time to Liverpool following what's happened before this game, an all time low post Fergie?
It feels like it is, but that's as much because of where it feels like it's going as well as where it's at! I wasn't optimistic going into game 1 tbh. What had changed? A manager and 2 signings. Again, even defeats don't feel so bad if you can raise yourself the next week. We didn't win 100% under SAF.

I can only see more of the same, but with less and less confidence. Not good. So, here we are, when the Glazers took over it was warned that they'd run us into mediocrity. And here we are. And worse than that even, they've managed to spend a lot of cash doing it! As though £100mill spent by us on signings is as effective as that spent by a well run club!

croadyman

Depends on what you mean. Can we get top 4 or win some trophies, no I don’t think so. Can we still begin to build a more cohesive team that starts to implement some of ETHs ideas? Yes I’m my opinion we absolutely can still do that. Some patience is required.
We haven't the money to implement it because need minimum of 4 players in next 3 weeks (RB,DLP,CM and RW/ST). I am not even including the massive problem with De Gea in goal as well

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yes. I don't think we ever had this amount of embarrasing losses as we've had since last season. 5-0 and 4-0 to Liverpool, 4-1 to City, 4-1 to Watford, 4-0 to Brighton, 4-0 to Brentford. It's come to the point where you expect us to be beaten and to be beaten heavily, even against 'lesser' teams.

I don't think we'll ever get back to top, or at least not in next 10-20 years. Really expected us to finish 6th this season, but now it's probably 8-10th place, depending on how teams like Newcastle, Villa, Leicester etc. perform.
I said a while ago, and was obviously ridiculed for that, that I fully expect City to get to 20 titles before we get our next title.

TrustInJanuzaj

We haven't the money to implement it because need minimum of 4 players in next 3 weeks (RB,DLP,CM and RW/ST). I am not even including the massive problem with De Gea in goal as well
We need a GK, CM as absolute priorities. I’d probably favour a second CM over an attacker if it comes to it. RB we will manage and attack will be better if we can sort out those behind them.

croadyman

We need a GK, CM as absolute priorities. I’d probably favour a second CM over an attacker if it comes to it. RB we will manage and attack will be better if we can sort out those behind them.
3 isn't enough and DDG going nowhere, ugh

Irrational.

Handing out important football jobs to people with no experience and based on nepotism has got us here. We didn’t evolve with the times and are paying the price for our own complacency. What have Murtough, Arnold and Fletcher ever done at board level to land such important roles?

This whole squad needs “open heart surgery” in the words of Rangnick. Do we really trust anyone apart from ETH to deliver that?

Josh 76

This has definitely been the worst it’s been in the PL era. I remember when Ron Atkinson got sacked. That was a bad time. Then there was the 1989-90 season, but we won the FA cup that season.

FatTails

I am not sure. The one thing I know is that I have never had lower expectations. I am expecting top 10 and kind of at peace with that if it meant we are building a competent side that can play progressive football. I also don’t really expect us to be in the top four next season.

BigRon1985

I’ve only been supporting us for 13 years, so this is really one for the older Reds. From your memory of watching them, was The Doc’s team, who went down in 1974, worse than the current team? Better? Much worse? More or less spineless?
Getting relegated only 6 years after winning the European Cup is as low as it gets but the comeback was immediate winning the old Second Division title followed by a 3rd place finish in the old First Division as well as reaching the '76 FA Cup final. The current team will always be technically superior, but they are a gutless, spineless and pathetic bunch whilst the Doc's team were all warriors who would die for the badge and never gave up.

What I'd give for the likes of Martin Buchan (a proper Captain!), Steve Coppell, Lou Macari, Gordon Hill, Sammy McIlroy and a striker who knows where the net is - Stuart "Pancho" Pearson in this team.

Need to invent time travel!

Hughie77

We need to sign double that in next 3 weeks (GK,RB,De Jong, Rabiot,RW,ST)
Hope we can, but can you see it, getting quality in in all those positions is going to be a stretch unless there are irons in the fire that know one has heard about . GK we have one on loan at forest this season and he needs to be number 1 next season.

croadyman

Hope we can, but can you see it, getting quality in in all those positions is going to be a stretch unless there are irons in the fire that know one has heard about . GK we have one on loan at forest this season and he needs to be number 1 next season.
Only lost number one spot due to COVID