Is this the worst run of awful football since Fergie retired?

LARulz

1. LVG mid 14-15
2. Rangnick
3. This
At least Ralf had an excuse. No player cared, half the team wanted out before he came. It was basically a sub teacher situation

This is not that, for that I would rate this worse

el3mel

We're struggling to beat even the worst possible teams. Every game is 50:50.

Paul778

since Fergie retired? Don't you mean since Busby retired?

Moyes, LVG, Jose and Ole were never this bad.

Hell I don't remember Atkinson and Sexton being this bad.

Canagel

Its not even a debate. This is worst than anything post Ferguson.

We are nothing team with nothing players. Not even one player is remotely good enough. Even under LVG or Mourinho we had individuals that could do something to get us out of trouble.

Our so called best players are low IQ footballers masquerading as stars but we put them on a pedestal and give them the keys based off their G/A.

Ibrahimorich

Are you forgetting the 80+ crosses against a league 1 or 2 team who had two 6'5 centre backs, under Moyes?

Last edited:

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Yes worst football I’ve seen no shape no attacking patterns nothing, just moments of luck or some call it brilliance, for me were absolutely way off it and city will spank us all day on the weekend

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, and the OP should be banned from making threads.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ten Hag seems to think we ‘played really well’ after most games too.

Eddy_JukeZ

We've been outplayed in almost every game this season.

Incredibly grim.

United492

Yes worst football I’ve seen no shape no attacking patterns nothing, just moments of luck or some call it brilliance, for me were absolutely way off it and city will spank us all day on the weekend
I wonder why people want to buy brilliant players if they don't want moments of brilliance, rather than "patterns of play"

stu_1992

LVG was worse. Yeah we had more control but it was so dull and basically felt like that's how LVG wanted it. This team is clearly not what Ten Hag wants it to look like and I can't imagine he's content to have us playing like this.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We were dull under LVG but we didn't look this clueless

CloneMC16

We played like this under LVG very often. Don't know what was worse, but these performances are dire. Don't enjoying watching our games at all.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
United will probably get a bit better when the new signings integrate more, certain players come back into form and defensive players come back from injury. However, there is still a massive lack of firepower and too many crap players who should have left ages ago. Also there’s serious questions about why certain players are out of form.

They need to keep nicking wins though so if there is an upturn in form they can get themselves into a decent position. With the performances this season it’s genuinely a shock we’re not 17th and already too far from anywhere we want to be.

RuudTom83

I wouldn’t say it was any worse than poor spells under previous managers.

But United are in the stage where a manager can get sacked very easily.

Just part of the never ending cycle of the post-SAF era.

m1tch

I don't know, it was horrendously boring under LVG, we'd get 3 shots all game.

It's a different type of terrible at the moment, it's the sort of form you see when the players aren't playing for the manager anymore. If I was to guess, then this is what we're seeing. Some players aren't fit enough because they're not training well, then they're not applying themselves fully in the games. I think the reason it's not gone full manager end times form yet is EtH has got just enough players in the team still giving 100% for him. A thumping against city at the weekend could be where he loses another 1 or 2 players though, then it'll be all over after the following game or two.

Amira

LVG was worse. Yeah we had more control but it was so dull and basically felt like that's how LVG wanted it. This team is clearly not what Ten Hag wants it to look like and I can't imagine he's content to have us playing like this.
Completely agree. I remember those LVG times being so dire. However, it does prove a manager can put his stamp on the team’s play style even though that stamp could be awful.

I’m sure Ten Hag is unhappy with what he is seeing but I’m still not sure what he sets them out to do. Certainly not from just watching the games.

peridigm

Are you forgetting the 80+ crosses against a league 1 or 2 team who had to 6'5 centre backs, under Moyes?
Think that was Fulham under Meulesteen wasn't it? I recall him saying something like it was the easiest game to defend against.

tomaldinho1

We’ve seen spells just as bad under all previous managers to be honest, it always seem like it’s the worst but we’ve been very up and down for the last decade.

AshRK

Moyes season on a whole was a tragedy. Lvg's 0-0 made me lose interest in football. Whole Rangnick farce takes the cake for me. Absolute shitshow

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wonder why people want to buy brilliant players if they don't want moments of brilliance, rather than "patterns of play"
Where are these moments getting us?

If that is our plan, then frankly, our players are not brilliant enough. If you want to win trophies by relying upon moments, at least buy Mbappé, Vinicius, Bellingham and co. When you are aware that you don’t have the ability to assemble a collection of individuals more brilliant than the other teams, what you do is try to come up with a situation where you get more from your collective than the other teams.

As it is there are teams in this league with better patterns than us, and for good measure, better fecking individuals to go with it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The writing was on the wall from the very first game against Wolves. Many of us saw it, others told us to get a grip, ‘we still won’, but it was clear from then that we were miles off of the standard.

RedIan

Those who think this is our worst football post fergie must have very short memories.
i was falling asleep at Old Trafford watching us under LVG. Pass side back side back side back zzzzzzz it was dreadful.
Under Ole, towards the last few months players just stopped running, we were so bad it was relegation form..

last season under ETH we were pretty good. 3rd and two cup finals…
Its early days this season and a lot of players are in poor form and we have been decimated by injuries.. Yesterdays match as an example, last season we score 3 or 4 goals in that game. The clear chances are there but our attackers seem to have lost all confidence. We will come through it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I can’t remember much good football being played at all since about 2010. And I’m not even joking. There was a spell early in 2011/12 where we played some good stuff with cleverly and Anderson in midfield, but that fizzled out. The seasons either side of it were a slog job where we just did enough to get over the line.

Post Fergie I’d say van gaals second season was the worst.

Red Royal

I can’t remember much good football being played at all since about 2010. And I’m not even joking. There was a spell early in 2011/12 where we played some good stuff with cleverly and Anderson in midfield, but that fizzled out. The seasons either side of it were a slog job where we just did enough to get over the line.

Post Fergie I’d say van gaals second season was the worst.
Ole's caretaker spell was exciting

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ole's caretaker spell was exciting
True, although I can’t really remember much good football taking place apart from his first game - the Cardiff 5-1. Can’t argue with the results, although under Ten Hag early last season we went on a similar run. However the football itself was nothing special.

vanrooney

people forget too fast. the second half yesterday was quite good in fact and we should have won it by 3 or 4 goals. eth is not responsible for rashford not controlling the ball or garnacho not passing it to hojlund

Hal9000

Nobody mentions Moyes? Long ball and crosses and that was it. 80+ crosses against Fulham?
LVG passing and a lot of possession but never forward.

BSSM

So far this season this is without doubt the worst run of performance in the last ten years. This current team will put you to sleep. There is just no sign that things will improve. ETH was not just my first choice but my only choice. How has it come to this level.

Redstain

I wouldn’t say it was any worse than poor spells under previous managers.

But United are in the stage where a manager can get sacked very easily.

Just part of the never ending cycle of the post-SAF era.
But aside maybe LVG has the club ever unjustifiably sacked a manager ? People keep mentioning cycles but the list is literally Mourinho, Ragnick, Moyes and Ole it's not exactly your Ancelotti's or Simeone's types reputable and of a certain calibre.

Every manager post SAF has been average at best and their follow up success from their employment at the club is the evidence of this.

tomaldinho1

This forum has amnesia. 19/20, at this very point, we had 10 points and were in 14th place.

troylocker

It's grim. Really grim. No urgency, no precision, no focus, no defensive shape, no confidence, no interaction, no sharpness, lots of individual errors all over the pitch. It all looks random mixed with individual errors these days.

These players are better than this and I still believe ETH can do better than this, so there should be some hope still.
It's good that we have some "easy" fixtures after City this weekend. Hopefully we can turn it around.