Is transfer budget our problem?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Agreed, but may meant we're only getting one player next window.

Just Sancho.
Still an upgrade to our squad, better than nothing. Sancho is technically like more than 1 player since he can play multiple possession. Probably like spending 50m pounds on 2 players (goal scorer & creative player).

SAFMUTD

Should still be enough to sign Sancho.
That would be enough for me, I rather we sign 1-2 solid players than 4-5 maybe-maybe not usefull players. For what its worth most of last signings have been solid, whether they are worth the money we paid for them is another thing, but all have improved our starting XI with the obvious exception of James.

So I expect the same, bring 1-2 solid players that impact our starting XI, it will take more time but eventually we'll have a strong squad overall instead of some good, some average and some deadwood players like we used to when we bought under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Overall structure is our problem: serious lack of competence in the hierarchy, coupled with a lack of sporting ambitions.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think our wage bill is still probably way too big. Even with Sanchez at Inter, we're covering basically the price of a starting 11 player for him to play there. Let alone if he has to come back, will be 350k a week for someone who has no use. De Gea is on huge wages and there's question marks about how long he'll even be here as the starter. Likes of Rojo/Smalling/Jones/Lingard/Mata getting paid whatever they are for literally no role in our team whatsoever. At a rough estimate, that's over 1mil a week in wages on players who apart from De Gea, have literally no role in our squad. De Gea himself might only have 1 more season in him as our starter. Also Pogba, massive wages but was non-existent this season until the restart.

Need to clear out that sort of expensive dead wood that is just picking up wages for literally no benefit to us before we can get back to spending big I think.

Steve Bruce

For the price of sancho we could have signed ziyech, van de beek & partey.

Their's players out their at reasonable prices at reasonable ages in positions we need strengthened.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's a load of shit. The reason our managers keep making changes is because they're not held accountable for making use of the talent at hand.

Pep fecking Guardiola can make Man City play football with Otamendi as a CB, and here our fans believe Ole Solskjaer is some savant who can't cope without two exceptional ball playing CBs.
Pep doesn't sound like a great example to contradict what I'm saying. How much has he spent again since he took over at City?

Anyway, I'm not saying every manager is justified in overhauling the entire squad, but I do think it makes sense that United is making relatively big squad changes all the time, since the managers have their teams play very differently. And again, 'relatively big' doesn't mean changing everyone, just changing a bit more than you see at clubs that have more continuity.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Other than 2013/14 (new change in management bringing problems) and 2018/19 where Ed likely losing trust with Mou and Ole is still a caretaker during January, our transfer budget have always been consistent.

Transfer budget = around 200m per season

2013/14 -- 77.3m

2014/15 -- 195.35m
2015/16
-- 156m
2016/17
-- 185m
2017/18
-- 198.4m

2018/19
-- 82.7m

2019/2020
Mag 87m
James 17m
AWB 55m
----------------
= 159m
+ Bruno 55m
--------------------
= 214m

I imagine Sancho is going to cost 100m minimum, at most 150m.
Leaving 100m for other positions, but more realistically 50m.

2020/21
Budget 200m
- Sancho 150m
------------------------
= 50m

50m can only be used to get budget players, realistically just one player.
I don't think C19 really affected transfer prices that much.

Expect we'll be getting only 2 players for next season, 3 players at most if we play it right.
Extending Ighalo's loan helped a lot but only until next Jan.
I think transfer budgets will be lower this summer across the board - many clubs rely on season ticket money for cash flow at this time of year and none of that is coming in at the moment due to COVID.

United probably would have banked around £50m of ST money in past couple of months in any normal year - it could be that headline transfer fees stay similar and clubs agree longer term payment plans though, its not going to be a normal window though thats for sure.