Is Tuchel Living Rent Free in Pep's Head?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Read an comment today on the Times where a City fan was complaining that Pep had only played one game this season with a DMF and that was in the final game of the CL group stage which was a dead rubber. Furthermore, against PSG and Dortmund Rodri and Fernandinho were two of their best players.

So, my question is, did Tuchel's previous wins get into Pep's head and make him change tactics solely on the previous two games or would he have done it anyway?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Pep has a tendency to do these things. He made beating Moyes in the CL quarters insanely complicated with his inverted fullbacks schtick. I don’t really get how not playing a DM made sense based on previous encounters considering Chelsea did them on transition unless he thought they could starve Chelsea completely of the ball with the false 9 and 5 play makers - but realistically with Kante that wasn’t going to happen.

cyberman

Heres the thing, City have failed to win a lot of games against the top sides in England this season. Its like 7 wins v top 9 with 5 odd losses
He is shit scared of pace. Its the same with Ole, the more he tries to adapt, the more he makes it easier for the opposition to implement it.

Red Star One

Surely the fact that Tuchel has beaten him twice this season before the final played some role and Pep wanted to mix things up - but he would’ve done that whoever he’d be facing, though. City lost yesterday because their manager didn’t come up with a reliable game plan for the final, not for the first time Guardiola’s decisions cost them.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
if Tuchel was to start paying rent to live in peps head what would it be?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Tuchel is paying with wins against Pep to live in his head, not rent free :devil:

Wilt

Three wins in six weeks, he’s definitely got to him

thepolice123

After getting trounced 5-1 by Pep's Bayern, Tuchel is unbeaten against Pep in 5 games. Technically he lost 1 game in the German cup but that was down to pens.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I would not like to live in Peps head. His bipolar nature would manifest into a right weird place to live

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, Pep loses his mind whenever he faces a team that he respects. It's the theme of his career, it's very difficult to beat him in a league format but in a cup format he is likely to shoot his own foot, especially in the CL were you have to face top teams that are in good form.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Nah, it's Pep living rent free in Peps head. Oles record is almost as good as Tuchels and for awhile Klopp had him on toast too

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
His teams always seem to struggle with a very specific type of opponent. If a team can defend very well and has extreme pace in wide areas you can really exploit Pep’s system. And the most import area in dealing with his teams is fullback. We’ve seen it with Liverpool against them in recent seasons, Ole’s United, saw it against Leeds this season, and obviously Chelsea now on 3 occasions. Negate their wide attackers and blitz them on the break. For some reason that‘s Pep’s kryptonite and he never seems to learn.

If you’re a team that isn’t shit scared of them (like most PL clubs are) and can get at them you’ll have success.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I love Tuchel but I believe people are reading too much into this. Guardiola knows what he's doing. The game could easily have gone the other way round.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I love Tuchel but I believe people are reading too much into this. Guardiola knows what he's doing. The game could easily have gone the other way round.
Chelsea probably should've won 3 or 4-0. It is only because they cannot finish to save their lives that the score was respectable. Werner should've had two and Pulisic should have scored too.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Chelsea probably should've won 3 or 4-0. It is only because they cannot finish to save their lives that the score was respectable. Werner should've had two and Pulisic should have scored too.
Nah. Werner fluffed a big and a decent chance and Pulisic had the biggest of the game. But Chelsea had many blocks or interceptions in the very last moments, e. g. Rüdiger's monster block against Foden. There were a couple of scenes like that. Decisive moments that could have gone either way. Chelsea deserved to win but both teams were brillant yesterday. Don't think it is fair to criticize Guardiola.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Nah. Werner fluffed a big and a decent chance and Pulisic had the biggest of the game. But Chelsea had many blocks or interceptions in the very last moments, e. g. Rüdiger's monster block against Foden. There were a couple of scenes like that. Decisive moments that could have gone either way. Chelsea deserved to win but both teams were brillant yesterday. Don't think it is fair to criticize Guardiola.
I would agree but the fact of the matter is that Chelsea had those chances and had got past City's defense. City's chances you have outlined were snuffed out by the defense. Chelsea really should have won at least 3-0.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I would agree but the fact of the matter is that Chelsea had those chances and had got past City's defense. City's chances you have outlined were snuffed out by the defense. Chelsea really should have won at least 3-0.
While Chelsea were the better team, they had 1 chance that wasn't defended or saved (the goal). I thought they were clear victors but on rewatch it was a close enough game that the better team won. Whether it's a defender or keeper making the final touch to keep it out doesn't matter as both teams play for different chance types.

James Peril

It’s difficult to argue against a person with arguments like these. They were never winning 3-0, get off it. Besides, it’s not like a chance would necessarily come if another one is scored. They surely could have scored the second, but Pulisic is highly inconsistent and misses those all the time. At the same time, City had a ball striking just over the bar at 1-0 into stoppage time. Foden should have scored too. Fine margins, this was a game separated by one lousy goal, it was never a 3-0 game.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
It’s difficult to argue against a person with arguments like these. They were never winning 3-0, get off it. Besides, it’s not like a chance would necessarily come if another one is scored. They surely could have scored the second, but Pulisic is highly inconsistent and misses those all the time. At the same time, City had a ball striking just over the bar at 1-0 into stoppage time. Foden should have scored too. Fine margins, this was a game separated by one lousy goal, it was never a 3-0 game.
Lmfao no. A half decent finisher up top and we'd be 2 0 up in 12 mins.
Hilarious how you're equating our clear chances to a 95th min sliced weaker foot volley.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Chelsea had the much better chances.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Hilarious how you say that it is difficult to argue with my comments, then you proceed to outline chances that weren't anywhere near as good as Chelsea's ones were.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I get where you're coming from but just can't agree. I realized early in the game I was rooting for Chelsea (ex player, bonus transfer fee for Havertz if Chelsea wins, Tuchel, etc.) so was very happy they were in the lead but especially in the end phase of the game I always had the feeling City could equalize every minute. After all, Chelsea got the better of City in the most decisive moments but on another day this could've ended up differently. Chelsea blocked many shots with high chance of a goal or intercepted square passes that would've lead to an open goal situation multiple times. Guardiola's job is to ensure that his tactics put his team in a position from which they can win the game and that was the case. Form and luck was what decided this match, IMO.

Or in other words, it doesn't make sense to argue that Rüdiger making the block of his life can be held against Guardiola ("City's chances were snuffed out by the defense") while Werner missing his chances can't (Chelsea should've lead 3:0), if you ask me. Both plays depend on individual form.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I get where you're coming from but just can't agree. I realized early in the game I was rooting for Chelsea (ex player, bonus transfer fee for Havertz if Chelsea wins, Tuchel, etc.) so was very happy they were in the lead but especially in the end phase of the game I always had the feeling City could equalize every minute. After all, Chelsea got the better of City in the most decisive moments but on another day this could've ended up differently. Chelsea blocked many shots with high chance of a goal or intercepted square passes that would've lead to an open goal situation multiple times. Guardiola's job is to ensure that his tactics put his team in a position from which they can win the game and that was the case. Form and luck was what decided this match, IMO.

Or in other words, it doesn't make sense to argue that Rüdiger making the block of his life can be held against Guardiola ("City's chances were snuffed out by the defense") while Werner missing his chances can't (Chelsea should've lead 3:0), if you ask me. Both plays depend on individual form.
? Neither depend on City players though. Mendy had no save to make. Chelsea defenders defending is doing their job. Werner and Pulisic missing sitters is them not. Not like City had any pressure on timo either he was free 5 yards out twice. And puli clean through.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
? Neither depend on City players though. Mendy had no save to make. Chelsea defenders defending is doing their job. Werner and Pulisic missing sitters is them not. Not like City had any pressure on timo either he was free 5 yards out twice. And puli clean through.
See, we're discussing if Tuchel got the better of Guardiola tactically. But stuff like Rüdiger's block isn't tactic, that's improvisation when the tactic has been beaten. Tuchel certainly wasn't okay with Foden getting a shot in the position he was in, nor was he okay with Sterling getting behind the line multiple times so that James had to make risky tackles within the penalty area. Nor was it wanted by Tuchel that Mahrez places a volley inches above the crossbar a few minutes before the game ends. And some of the absolutely crucial tackles/blocks by Chelsea weren't what you expect from them. They were the defender's equivalent to a brillant goal by an attacking player - not the norm but exceptional. As I said, that's not tactics. That's quality, daily form and to a fair bit it is luck, too. Because if Tuchel's plan would've been fulfilled completely, they wouldn't even have gotten into situations in which those plays were necessary. Yes, Chelsea deserved to win, but mainly due to factors that had nothing to do with the tactical setups of both teams. So I think it is unfair to criticize Pep for it - City was set up well.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
See, we're discussing if Tuchel got the better of Guardiola tactically. But stuff like Rüdiger's block isn't tactic, that's improvisation when the tactic has been beaten. Tuchel certainly wasn't okay with Foden getting a shot in the position he was in, nor was he okay with Sterling getting behind the line multiple times so that James had to make risky tackles within the penalty area. Nor was it wanted by Tuchel that Mahrez places a volley inches above the crossbar a few minutes before the game ends. And some of the absolutely crucial tackles/blocks by Chelsea weren't what you expect from them. They were the defender's equivalent to a brillant goal by an attacking player - not the norm but exceptional. As I said, that's not tactics. That's quality, daily form and to a fair bit it is luck, too. Because if Tuchel's plan would've been fulfilled completely, they wouldn't even have gotten into situations in which those plays were necessary. Yes, Chelsea deserved to win, but mainly due to factors that had nothing to do with the tactical setups of both teams. So I think it is unfair to criticize Pep for it - City was set up well.
No game was ever gonna be played where they wouldn't even reach our defenders. That's ludicrous. And once again you're resorting to a sliced weaker foot volley in the 95th min that went over and a blocked shot none of which is comparable to 3 sitters.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
No, Pep loses his mind whenever he faces a team that he respects. It's the theme of his career, it's very difficult to beat him in a league format but in a cup format he is likely to shoot his own foot, especially in the CL were you have to face top teams that are in good form.
It's this really. He's too afraid, he has too much respect, and it's weird since he already has superbly implemented a bold, successful and superior strategy, which he ends up changing up or throwing overboard to his own detriment.

That being said, he's still managed to win more cups than basically anyone else.. he's simply a generational coach.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
No game was ever gonna be played where they wouldn't even reach our defenders. That's ludicrous. And once again you're resorting to a sliced weaker foot volley in the 95th min that went over and a blocked shot none of which is comparable to 3 sitters.
I'm not talking about not even reaching your defenders. What Rüdiger or James did multiple times were last resort type of tackles. Those don't happen when the tactics work 100%. Especially under Tuchel who wants to defend on the front foot. Among German coaches there's generally the notion that slide tackles are a sign of bad defending and ideally no defender should ever be in a situation in which he should have to do such a thing. It's a last resort by design and you had to do it quite a lot against City. This alone shows that Guardiola's tactics worked. That's no criticism, such a brillant team like City can't be shut down completely. Just think it's wrong to criticize Guardiola's tactics.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It's this really. He's too afraid, he has too much respect, and it's weird since he already has superbly implemented a bald, successful and superior strategy, which he ends up changing up or throwing overboard to his own detriment.

That being said, he's still managed to win more cups than basically anyone else..
Fixed.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Has he? Take away the league cup that absolutely no-one gives a feck about and where he barely faces a top side, and he's won?

2 CL, 2 CDR, 2 DFB-Pokal, 1 FA Cup,

Hardly fecking amazing that. Plenty of managers have more cups.
So 2 Champions Leagues and 5 cups, on top of what, 9 league titles, is not amazing now? :lol:
For a guy that just turned 50..

That's the thing about Pep, people have ridiculously high standards for success and failure with him..
Take a step back..