Is Zaha the one player we should never have let go?

Rafeeq RSA

I like this logic , maybe we should’ve kept Moyes who was the true final SAF signing

Andersonson

He has alot more to his game than Martial, Lingard and Sanhez. But when we sold him he wasnt anywhere near the quality he is now.

Real Madrid usually sell with a buyback-clause. We dont...

Kostov

Selling Zaha while keeping shit like Lingard has been part of the problem yes. The one player we should not have sold? Nah we made couple of feck ups. We sold Michael Keane while keeping Blackett, which tells you how incompetent some of the decisions have been.

Ace of Spades

Selling him was not the problem, not having a buy back was. Think he needed to go to a club with less pressure, and where he could develop without being under a microscope. We should have put a cheap buy back option for him. He is a better option for a winger than anything we have currently, bar maybe Martial.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
He is only 26, still relatively young. Feels like he has been around forever.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'd be more than happy to have him in our attacking three alongside Rashford & Martial.....definately moreso than making do with Mata & Lingard.

El Zoido

He is only 26, still relatively young. Feels like he has been around forever.
He was in the Palace first team in 2010 so he’s been around for almost a decade.

For another perspective on how long ago that was, we won the league that season and also reached the Champions League final.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
We sold Michael Keane while keeping Blackett, which tells you how incompetent some of the decisions have been.
Ahhh Tyler Blackett! A classic case of what I like to call "Dedryck Boyata syndrome", where a young player comes in, looks really impressive, but gets himself sent off unnecessarily and is then never the same again.

redshaw

He would've looked like all the rest. Memphis Lingard bracket player for us and would've wanted to go back to London at some point. No-one has bought him after all these years either.

I can only see Fergie level manager getting use out of him. I'm sure if you hypnotized Klopp and Pep to sign him they'd fit him in and "he'd do a job".

Kostov

Ahhh Tyler Blackett! A classic case of what I like to call "Dedryck Boyata syndrome", where a young player comes in, looks really impressive, but gets himself sent off unnecessarily and is then never the same again.
Actually he wasn't most fans saw him as an average talent which he was, he just had a left foot. LVG the moron fecked up.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Yes. Because he's better then what we've got and we haven't have a decent winger since Nani left so you can add Nani in with that also. I think we should have been more paitent.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Van Gaal was an expert on young players, who are we to argue with his decision.

Zaha clearly doesn't offer any pace or creativity that Van Gaal said we lacked.

TRUERED89

You could argue that it was a bad sell, but he is nor was ever a good footballer. Crazy skills every now and then, but he really contributes nothing. Miles apart from what we already have in attack
Miles apart from who exactly? Sanchez? Martial? Lukaku? Lingard? they're not miles apart, they're on the same damn road! :lol:

simplyared

Looking at the level the player is at now there's no questioning there's been a very positive development. Big part of a players development occurs on the training ground and the results are what we see on match days. We never saw that when he was with us. Hence many posters saying he wasn't good enough and nobody batted an eyelid when he left etc etc. Facts are we fecked up developing a player who was highly developable. On the training ground and not least mentally. And that sucks!

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Just like Lingard, who many say isn't young anymore :wenger: ?
That's why I said relative. ;) I mean he isn't that young but still relatively young if that makes sense.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Looking at the level the player is at now there's no questioning there's been a very positive development. Big part of a players development occurs on the training ground and the results are what we see on match days. We never saw that when he was with us. Hence many posters saying he wasn't good enough and nobody batted an eyelid when he left etc etc. Facts are we fecked up developing a player who was highly developable. On the training ground and not least mentally. And that sucks!
No, that's not a fact, that's your opinion.

Also this cult of those Zahas and Depays is one thing I'll never manage to understand, it's so fecking weird.

Adcuth

He would've looked like all the rest. Memphis Lingard bracket player for us and would've wanted to go back to London at some point. No-one has bought him after all these years either.

I can only see Fergie level manager getting use out of him. I'm sure if you hypnotized Klopp and Pep to sign him they'd fit him in and "he'd do a job".
I would have kept Memphis too

izec

He was brainless on the wing for us. Once he went back to Palace and they employed him as a striker, he kicked on. He matured there, something he may or may not have done here. I dont think we would have gotten the best out of him, he was completely down here

NotQuiteManc

Zaha, nope. He wasn't and isn't that good. He is currently playing well for a midtable team, mostly as central forward/striker. Similar to Depay, who another one that wasn't and isn't that good. Not as winger nor as a forward. Zaha is in the perfect place for him.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Zaha is not the cure to our problems.
The fact that he has been at CP for a while now, tells me that he is not a player who belongs in the first team of a top 6 club.
He may of course, join LFC and may do great, at which time I will revise my opinion, but until then, CP is his correct level. And if you follow our games, we already have a few players who are the level of CP (Ashley Young, Jones, Lingard, off the top of my head). We need to get rid of these types of players, not add more to our roster!

Sir Scott McToMinay

Oddly or not, I don’t really miss any of the players we’ve sold over the last couple of years, don’t think the club misses them either.
Goes to show that our biggest issue post Fergie, is that most of the players were absolutely shite.

Can’t say I’ve followed him since leaving, but I cannot imagine Rafael not being an improvement on some of the displays we’ve seen from our RB’s over the last few years, can’t think of anyone else.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Stam, Ronaldo and Beckham? But yes, Zaha is one where we fecked it up. I would add Depay on that list but i know that i am maybe the only one:nervous:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's also amazing that people think that Zaha is better than Martial when for example he directly contributed to 15 league goals in 3000 minutes while Martial directely contributed to 12 goals 1600 minutes. Zaha and Martial aren't even close.

Foxbatt

Zaha on the right wing would be much better than Mata or Lingard on any wing.

MUFC OK

In hindsight he might have been a great player for us and would certainly improve us right now, although it is not clear by how much. I don't see it as a horrendous decision that he was allowed to leave though I was desperate for him to succeed. His failing here seem to by symptomatic of the failings of many exciting flair players since SAF retired whilst functional, more mundane players seem to have relatively excelled.

Inter Yer Nan

No chance in hell. Ronaldo of course but he was always going to leave and wanted to do so. That leaves Stam. Stam wanted to stay and was happy at the club. Probably cost us the league in 2002 and maybe another champions league losing him.

Foxbatt

I am not too sure about the Stam issue. Wasn't he found guilty of failing a dope test just after he left us and was suspended for a while?

BiggusCrickus

Stam is the obvious one even the great man said it himself. As for Zaha I think if he had Fergie as his manager and not Moyes I think he would of turned into an Utd regular and England regular instead of having that 1 cap in a friendly game

simplyared

No chance in hell. Ronaldo of course but he was always going to leave and wanted to do so. That leaves Stam. Stam wanted to stay and was happy at the club. Probably cost us the league in 2002 and maybe another champions league losing him.
The players you name here don't come into the same bracket ad Zaha. It's a different argument altogether. Your talking about 2 players who were both brilliant for us and were big sucesses. It wasn't a case of letting them go. We had no fecking choice! With Zaha we had a young player with enormous talent and potential who we couldn't get the best out of. Who never came anywhere near the level he's at now, who is now worth at least 50 mil on the market and we let him go for 3.5 mil. Tell me if that sucks!