ISIS in Iraq and Syria

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I believe Kirkuk is already completely under Peshmerga's control.
Yeah I can imagine. I meant in terms of permanently getting Kirkuk under Kurdistan's rule even after this crisis concludes. That would be quite a statement in terms of Kurdish homeland aspirations.

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
Whats your guys plans? Is it to fully destroy ISIS or just get the land you want and then not fight unless they fight?
Have every Kurdish town and village under complete control in all of Iraq as well as any bordering towns with Syria. If ISIS try and hit Kurdish land then they'll be wiped out but I can't see them doing that. They've avoided most clashes with peshmerga and lost the ones they did attempt.

I'm unsure on whether or not we will help the Iraqi army, I guess it all depends on what we get out of it. At the moment all of our land is under control so there is no need.

Suli

Also @Suli whats the latest? Is it all gonna go down in Baghdad and they're just waiting for the ISIS?
I think the Isis are going down South but they won't reach Baghdad. IMO it'll all go down in Samarra as the Iraqi army will launch an offensive.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think the Isis are going down South but they won't reach Baghdad. IMO it'll all go down in Samarra as the Iraqi army will launch an offensive.
It will probably take an international peacekeeping force to come in and stabilize things. Even if the Iraqi Army can retake the likes of Tikrit and Bayji, they aren't likely to be much of an influence in Mosul; and the national government are likely to not be interested in ceding Mosul to Peshmerga control.

Suli

It will probably take an international peacekeeping force to come in and stabilize things. Even if the Iraqi Army can retake the likes of Tikrit and Bayji, they aren't likely to be much of an influence in Mosul; and the national government are likely to not be interested in ceding Mosul to Peshmerga control.
I disagree. The Isis are simply an offensive/raiding army, they simply do not have the manpower or weaponry to hold a position properly if they are attacked by a reasonable force, as seen many times against the Syrian army as well as the Peshmerga/YPG. If Maliki is able to rally the Iraqi army properly then they can certainly retake Mosul, they have the manpower and force to do it but now all they need is the courage.

Suli

Kurdish news channels have just reported that the Iraqi army mistakenly launched a heli attack on the Peshmerga, killing 2 and injuring 11. Absolute cnuts.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I disagree. The Isis are simply an offensive/raiding army, they simply do not have the manpower or weaponry to hold a position properly if they are attacked by a reasonable force, as seen many times against the Syrian army as well as the Peshmerga/YPG. If Maliki is able to rally the Iraqi army properly then they can certainly retake Mosul, they have the manpower and force to do it but now all they need is the courage.
That may be the case, but it won't address the fact that ISIS aren't going away. The Iraqi Army don't have the resources or solidarity to crush them in heavily Sunni areas, and even if they make some gains in terms of flushing them out of big cities, they are still going to have to fight an insurgency with fighters who are increasingly hardened and able to use all of Anbar and across the Syrian border to regroup. The long term solution is a complete rethink of the political and security landscape in Iraq, involving new elections, and probably an international peacekeeping force to create humanitarian corridors (beyond just Kurdistan) where citizens can live without fear of being murdered by insurgents. An international, UN approved force would be ideal to the US or Iran (or both) coming back in as it would only exacerbate the sectarian divide.

Suli

That may be the case, but it won't address the fact that ISIS aren't going away. The Iraqi Army don't have the resources or solidarity to crush them in heavily Sunni areas, and even if they make some gains in terms of flushing them out of big cities, they are still going to have to fight an insurgency with fighters who are increasingly hardened and able to use all of Anbar and across the Syrian border to regroup. The long term solution is a complete rethink of the political and security landscape in Iraq, involving new elections, and probably an international peacekeeping force to create humanitarian corridors (beyond just Kurdistan) where citizens can live without fear of being murdered by insurgents. An international, UN approved force would be ideal to the US or Iran (or both) coming back in as it would only exacerbate the sectarian divide.
Agree with you on that, it's unlikely that Iraq will remain as one in the coming months, it will finally be divided into separate states.

Sherzad

I wonder who is supporting them (ISIS) financially.? They can't just walk into a mosque and ask for guns and equipment and they all fall from the skies.

Will ISIS replace Taliban in world politics/war. There is general election in Afghanistan today, if they manage to reform a government there (with inclusion off Taliban) I think Taliban will fade away.

I guess world leaders needs a new toy (ISIS) to play with - I wonder how many more countries will be invaded or innocent soldiers/civilians will be killed on the name off ISIS. It's early days, but that's exactly how Taliban started!!

Sorry to drag Taliban into it, but I think it's about time we realise all this nonsense is nothing but a propaganda for political gain., from powers to be.

Suli

@Sherzad Turkey provide them with access into Syria and it has been well reported that some Isis have even been treated in Turkish hospitals. They don't want a strong Kurdish force on their borders for fear of an influence on Kurds in Turkey.

Sherzad

@Sherzad Turkey provide them with access into Syria and it has been well reported that some Isis have even been treated in Turkish hospitals. They don't want a strong Kurdish force on their borders for fear of an influence on Kurds in Turkey.
Yeah, just like America used Pakistan for their political/military purpose in Afghanistan. Now Turkey is been used in same way.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
See, if world leaders just faced each other in a fight to death then we wouldn't have this problem.

Maliki vs Baghdadi. Who would win?

Relevated

Now people on twitter are saying that ISIS have entered baghdad. Wtf? Twitter is confused.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Twitter is full of nonsense. Anyone with an account can make audacious claims with no evidence and have their followers discuss it as if it was a legitimate tweet.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Turks don't want a Kurdish state, as it would unsettle the Kurds living in eastern Turkey, or so they think.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The Turks don't want a Kurdish state, as it would unsettle the Kurds living in eastern Turkey, or so they think.
But they've always fought against overt Islamic control of the country too.It'd be ironic if the thing they hate the most...Kurds...kept them safe from radical Islam.

Relevated

Peshmerga Colonel:"It’s the int. community that call #ISIS terrorists, not us. If they rule & ppl accept them, we’re ok with it.”

Peshmerga Colonel: "#ISIS have changed tactics, they’re not killing for no reason as tht isn’t in their interests. They want to rule” #Iraq

The ISIS are so reckless because in the Islamic world the only man that fulfills the conditions of becoming caliph is none other than Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, the leader of this group. They will do anything they can to get the land so they can start a caliphate and that is their main objective, everything else just ties in with that. Maybe they are hungry over power in this world, but that power ties in with their religious beliefs and now you got a mix of politics added in. Thats never a good combination for people who do not share the same mindset as these guys.

#ISIS announced that they will be forming a new government in #Mosul, #Iraq tomorrow, according to a local resident

I read earlier about this too and it doesn't look like this piece of news is propaganda. They want to rule with some stability in Mosul but they haven't had that as of yet, now they could go ahead and potentially start ruling as they do in some parts of syria. They have Shariah courts, education centers and that kinda stuff. Im not sure if thats propaganda on their behalf but thats just my two cents.

Sherzad

Not sure about that yet. Just a guess.
If someone challenges the current Iraqi government, they are directly going against America's interest in Iraq!
America and co didn't invest billions off dollars in Iraq to kill a guy with moustaches (Sadam Husain).. They have their interest in the country oil etc.

I very much doubt it that Saudi (America's puppet) or Qatar which is a small country with not much political interest in world politics will stand up against American supported government in Iraq.

Will Absolute

Have every Kurdish town and village under complete control in all of Iraq as well as any bordering towns with Syria. If ISIS try and hit Kurdish land then they'll be wiped out but I can't see them doing that. They've avoided most clashes with peshmerga and lost the ones they did attempt.

I'm unsure on whether or not we will help the Iraqi army, I guess it all depends on what we get out of it. At the moment all of our land is under control so there is no need.
Why would you help the Iraqi army? The strategic ideal for the Kurds is a fractured Iraq with a weak Sunni enclave on their western and southern borders. The last thing you want is a strong central government with the Iraqi army back on your doorstep.

Suli

Why would you help the Iraqi army? The strategic ideal for the Kurds is a fractured Iraq with a weak Sunni enclave on their western and southern borders. The last thing you want is a strong central government with the Iraqi army back on your doorstep.
A large terrorist group on Kurdish borders will do nothing but cause problems in the long term. Some lunatics will inevitably try and get into Kurdistan which will cause clashes. If cooperation between the YPG and Peshmerga can occur then we can push the Isis completely away from Kurdistan, not have them lurking on the border.

I want Kurds to only secure our own towns and villages and ensure safety for every Kurds in Bashur. The Iraqi army and government have treated us like shit and we don't need to bail them out, we gain little from it now that Kirkuk is in our hands. We have already accepted half a million people from Mosul, ensuring safety for those fleeing, we cannot continue to expect the Iraqi army to do a runner and leave the Isis to do whatever they want. Dragging ourselves further into this war will cause more casualties, we have already had 6 of our men killed in taking back what is ours, I don't want any more to lose their lives.

Relevated

:lol:

Good thing they blocked Twitter, Facebook, Viber, Whatsapp and I think Youtube too in Iraq.
did they block ALL forms of social media? I thought it was just youtube, facebook and twitter. I didn't know whatsapp and viber were blocked.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
And here it begins...

Sunni jihadists kill 12 imams in Iraqi city of Mosul

Twelve imams were executed Saturday by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria in front of a mosque in the Iraqi city of Mosul, an Interior Ministry official told Efe.

The official said the clerics were killed after refusing to swear loyalty to this jihadist group that is leading the Sunni insurgency currently spreading across Iraq.

Jihadist groups such as ISIS believe that Sunni clerics who belong to the religious institution of states that ban jihad (holy war) profess a heretical kind of Islam, and describe all Shi'ite religious officials as infidels.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2014/06/14/sunni-jihadists-kill-12-imams-in-iraqi-city-mosul/

Raoul

Admin
Staff
And here it begins...

Sunni jihadists kill 12 imams in Iraqi city of Mosul

Twelve imams were executed Saturday by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria in front of a mosque in the Iraqi city of Mosul, an Interior Ministry official told Efe.

The official said the clerics were killed after refusing to swear loyalty to this jihadist group that is leading the Sunni insurgency currently spreading across Iraq.

Jihadist groups such as ISIS believe that Sunni clerics who belong to the religious institution of states that ban jihad (holy war) profess a heretical kind of Islam, and describe all Shi'ite religious officials as infidels.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2014/06/14/sunni-jihadists-kill-12-imams-in-iraqi-city-mosul/
Hardly surprising is it. There's nothing religious about ISIS. They are basically a death cult who use religion and violence as a means towards conquering others.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Hardly surprising is it. There's nothing religious about ISIS. They are basically a death cult who use religion and violence as a means towards conquering others.
In other words, they are religious.