ISIS in Iraq and Syria

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Trump’s presser has been great so far. Significantly better than the usual dry announcements that Obama and Dubya used to make.
He’s mainly focusing on the operation to kill Baghdadi and throwing in a few examples of how he cried and fled and ultimately detonated himself and his three young children. Whether true or not, it’s far more in-depth (and chilling to other terrorists) than what we usually hear from other leaders. This is Trump after all so the chances of it not being a reality show spectacle are slim to none.
Oh dear, we've lost Raoul.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Trump: now, I won't explain in detail the situation with kayla...

Then goes on to describe how Baghdadi found her to be beautiful, captured her and made clear it was personal captivity, then he killed her.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Trump: now, I won't explain in detail the situation with kayla...

Then goes on to describe how Baghdadi found her to be beautiful, captured her and made clear it was personal captivity, then he killed her.
This was incredibly gross and offensive. I doubt her parents want this to be dragged out and put in such words. They've already had to deal with the reality of it and don't need Trump using it for self-gratification.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That comment is very revealing: even when he tries to show empathy, his thinking is all wrong from the start. He belongs in Police Squad.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Apparently corrupt members of the YPG/SDF had been smuggling families to Idlib in empty oil tankers, and the Iraqis flipped one who gave up Baghdadi.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Wonder if this is Qardash?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
ISIS seem like old news right now, but this story is worth mentioning. Rukmini Callimachi was one of a huge number of journalists and think-tankers who made a career out of the ISIS phenomenon, establishing herself at the New York Times and most famously publishing their award-winning “Caliphate” podcast which was/is hugely popular. I’m pretty sure I’ve posted some of her tweets and perhaps reports on here before.

Anyway it turns out the bulk of the podcast was based on information provided by a fraud, the NYT have issued a major correction, returned the award, and reassigned Callimachi. See here from the NYT and here for analysis.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
ISIS seem like old news right now, but this story is worth mentioning. Rukmini Callimachi was one of a huge number of journalists and think-tankers who made a career out of the ISIS phenomenon, establishing herself at the New York Times and most famously publishing their award-winning “Caliphate” podcast which was/is hugely popular. I’m pretty sure I’ve posted some of her tweets and perhaps reports on here before.

Anyway it turns out the bulk of the podcast was based on information provided by a fraud, the NYT have issued a major correction, returned the award, and reassigned Callimachi. See here from the NYT and here for analysis.
Smacks a bit of the Judith Miller debacle.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

Goes to show again how sceptical we must be at all times.