Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully

Spark

I don't think he's been personally affected - from memory he left Iran decades ago and lives in Canada now along with his family (I could have him mixed up with another poster though).

The reason I said there's a thread for it is because there is - one I've even commented on on how abhorrent it is. The specific examples of his post are literally a continuation of the fallout of the Mahsa Amini killing.

This thread in particular is centred on Israel and Iran's behaviour vis a vis Palestine and their implications for other nations in the region.

Anyway, I'm not a mod, so feel free to disregard.
Fair enough, I can see your point of view but I do disagree. I think domestic Iranian issues have a direct influence on the Israel-Iran conflict, as they are intrinsically linked. E.g. the fact that there is such widespread dissatisfaction with the Iranian government spearheaded by Mahsa Amini is a major reason why a war with Israel is the last thing it needs (even if some hardliners are so blinkered they may want it).

I think it's an emotive issue that can easily be discussed in the context of the wider competing forces across the region. Simply disregarding it is a major reason why people can't think beyond the headlines, as Hanks post is the sort of thing that doesn't get reported on.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not surprising given Erdogan's stance on things and his support of Hamas and the Palestinians.
Way to spin it. I am sure you would be welcomed in any pro western Israeli media to write for them.

Even great move like this has to be shown through wrong arguments.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Way to spin it. I am sure you would be welcomed in any pro western Israeli media to write for them.

Even great move like this has to be shown through wrong arguments.
Sorry, it was silly o clock and I just finished a 20 hour shift. I Didn't mean it to sound so flippant or disrespectful as you're absolutely right, it is a great move. I also worded it badly with support of Hamas, I don't think he's a big supporter of Hamas, however he obviously met with them last month in an attempt to find a way to help the Palestinian people. He's also frequently been outspoken in support of Palestinians and Palestine and branded Israel a terrorist state. I just wish Western leaders and countries had the balls to do the same thing.

Idxomer

Erdogan is still as self-serving as they come. This is his first significant move regarding what's happening in Gaza in 7 months after a lot of empty platitudes.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Erdogan is still as self-serving as they come. This is his first significant move regarding what's happening in Gaza in 7 months after a lot of empty platitudes.
Erdogan loves an empty gesture, he'll go back to normalising relations before we know it.

Oh I'm well aware of what he's like. He's a fecking monster, however bad men can do good deeds, even if not always for the right reasons. He's as self serving as they come, but on this occasion he's stepping up so credit where it is due. I just hope and wish that it encourages other countries to follow suit, although I doubt it, and certainly not the USA or UK now or if both countries have a change of leader and political party.

Kaos

Oh I'm well aware of what he's like. He's a fecking monster, however bad men can do good deeds, even if not always for the right reasons. He's as self serving as they come, but on this occasion he's stepping up so credit where it is due. I just hope and wish that it encourages other countries to follow suit, although I doubt it, and certainly not the USA or UK now or if both countries have a change of leader and political party.
It won't have an impact unfortunately. The Saudis have decided to clamp down on dissenters boycotting culpable brands, Jordan are actively helping Israel, and the Egyptian regime remains as useless as ever. European nations outside of Ireland aren't interested, and the US is currently bullying anyone who has any intention to recognise a Palestinian state, as well as the ICC for doing their job and possibly issuing warrants for that heinous war criminal Nutty Yahoo.

Erdogan as always use anti-Israeli sentiment to temper things back home (considering Turkey is currently in dire economic straits), and will quietly regress to the norm once things have quieted down.

In short the Palestinians are on their own.

Amir

Erdogan as always use anti-Israeli sentiment to temper things back home (considering Turkey is currently in dire economic straits), and will quietly regress to the norm once things have quieted down.
Yeah, it's the usual thing. He's been doing this for many years - one moment he's happy to cooperate with Israel, the next he doesn't want to have anything to do with us. No real principals are in play here from his side.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It won't have an impact unfortunately. The Saudis have decided to clamp down on dissenters boycotting culpable brands, Jordan are actively helping Israel, and the Egyptian regime remains as useless as ever. European nations outside of Ireland aren't interested, and the US is currently bullying anyone who has any intention to recognise a Palestinian state, as well as the ICC for doing their job and possibly issuing warrants for that heinous war criminal Nutty Yahoo.

In short the Palestinians are on their own.
I always interpret his Palestine positions as him throwing a bone to domestic audiences that he cares and is engaging on the issue, even though it never actually materializes into anything substantive.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I’ve little doubt that on a personal level Erdogan would love a full break and perhaps even confrontation with Israel. But he’s not an all-powerful dictator who can simply reverse decades of diplomatic, trade, and military links overnight or even over twenty years. The two countries have worked together closely over the years on a number issues held as core Turkish interests which transcend party politics, the most recent being their partnership in helping Azerbaijan defeat Armenia just before October 7th.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Sorry, it was silly o clock and I just finished a 20 hour shift. I Didn't mean it to sound so flippant or disrespectful as you're absolutely right, it is a great move. I also worded it badly with support of Hamas, I don't think he's a big supporter of Hamas, however he obviously met with them last month in an attempt to find a way to help the Palestinian people. He's also frequently been outspoken in support of Palestinians and Palestine and branded Israel a terrorist state. I just wish Western leaders and countries had the balls to do the same thing.
Aye, that's fair enough.