Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Great analogy.
If you were this lady's friend, would you tell her the best course of action for her future wellbeing is:
a. Punch her abusive husband in the face, and f*ck the consequences.
b. Don't punch her abusive husband in the face, do literally anything else. Get a divorce. Move out. Seek police help.

Anyway, if you're able to mentally justify Hamas' actions on October 7th - both the brutality but far more importantly the idiocy of what would happen to Gazans, then that's great. Enjoy your righteous indignation, it is far simpler to see the world that easily.
Unfortunately, the analogy doesn't quite do justice to the long term complexities of the situation (whether 10/7 or the preceding decades before).

jadaba

Kind of expected that kind of move to cause more chaos into the situation, it plays into their hand.
This is misinformation, any attempts of an assassination have been denied and the video shows a clash between Palestinian gangs, entirely unrelated to the Palestinian Authority.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Displaced / orphaned children at Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza are having to hold a press conference about the living conditions they're in, and the constant bombardment as an appeal for clemency.

That's the world we're living in.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So the plan is to fight in and clear Gaza City?

If so, then surely South Gaza is next? I don't see any way to "clear Gaza of Hamas" without the military going through every neighbourhood and district.
From what I've seen so far, it appears the plan is to cut off north and south Gaza, get as many civilians out as possible, then eliminate any Hamas resistance in the northern sector, neutralizing tunnels and freeing hostages along the way. Once complete, then begin gradually moving into the south.

The only leverage Hamas have at the moment are the hostages, but it seems the Israelis are more interested in getting rid of Hamas once and for all, than actually prioritizing the return of their own people. This may of course just be a propaganda talking point used by the Israelis to scare Hamas into giving them back.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Displaced / orphaned children at Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza are having to hold a press conference about the living conditions they're in, and the constant bombardment as an appeal for clemency.

That's the world we're living in.
They're obviously being instructed by Hamas militants

nickm

We're witnessing a fascist occupier perpetrate a genocide against an indigenous population, in real or near real time, and meanwhile all the imperialist states, allies, acolytes, controlled and downright fanatical media would have you believe that this is some kind of incredibly complex situation without an easy fix, so that we go back to our mind numbing routines and pleasures while their genocidal a.k.a "defence" forces do what they do best.

A technologically advanced and yet worst era of humanity, with all credit to the supposedly enlightened socio-economic system called capitalism. Sociopaths in charge, hedonism on the up; the masses are ever more taught and convinced of their differences, to fight amongst themselves while the most vulnerable and everything else around them is chewed up by the death industry.
Well you hit all the buzzwords there, well done I guess.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Unfortunately, the analogy doesn't quite do justice to the long term complexities of the situation (whether 10/7 or the preceding decades before).
Israel isn't analogous to an abusive husband.

I bring up an abusive husband as a counterexample. I believe the moral logic and principle of the post I was responding to is weak and does not hold up on its own. Instead, it is carried by unspoken judgments — that not everyone shares.

An abusive husband, on the other hand, is one example where we all share the same judgment. When we apply the same principle (and words, and phrases) to this example, it doesn't sound great. It sounds callous, at best.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What a ridiculous response, and one that also completely avoids acknowledging the utter insanity of Marzouk's comments. You're clearly looking for something here that simply isn't evidenced.

I'm saying that the abhorrent actions by Israeli settlers has enabled the growth of extremism to take root in Palestinian territories - in both the WB and Gaza, unless you don't perceive any actions committed by Palestinians/Hamas as evidence of "extremism"? This type of extremism - whilst explained in part by the actions of Israeli's on Palestinian territories - is, in itself, utterly repugnant and dangerous. And of course there's extremism in the WB, and there are more groups than just Hamas evidencing this. Hamas are the current mouthpiece due to their prevalence and control of Gaza. Jenin has become a hotbed for extremism, for instance. The ideologies that are sadly now rooted in these territories is one of the reasons why both Jordan and Egypt are absolutely opposed to taking in more refugees than they have to.

I completely agree with you about the harm the rhetoric/stances of Gvir/Israeli government, and I'll be more than happy to echo your just criticisms. The reason why this wasn't noted in my initial post is because the post itself was drawing attention to the insane and deranged comments of Marzouk, comments that are totally untrue and false. These comments would be akin to Netanyahu claiming no women and children have died in Palestine since the start of the war. If and when these comments are made, you can be sure that I'll criticize and dismiss them in their entirety.
Have you criticised the Israeli Governments consistent statements that there is no humanitarian crisis in Gaza?

And why will you not acknowledge the awful nature of your comments about why other countries won't take in more refugees? Could it be because those countries already host literally millions of refugees? Could it be because when refugees seem to leave this particular bit of land, it tends to be a one way exit?

Can you not see that this phrasing is exactly the same awful and anti semitic argument that's historically been used against Jewish people?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Of course, apologies the sarcasm of the first sentence didn't come out there.

Giggsyking

From what I've seen so far, it appears the plan is to cut off north and south Gaza, get as many civilians out as possible, then eliminate any Hamas resistance in the northern sector, neutralizing tunnels and freeing hostages along the way. Once complete, then begin gradually moving into the south.

The only leverage Hamas have at the moment are the hostages, but it seems the Israelis are more interested in getting rid of Hamas once and for all, than actually prioritizing the return of their own people. This may of course just be a propaganda talking point used by the Israelis to scare Hamas into giving them back.
Yes, the IDF is very protective of the civilian population in Gaza.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The most sensible approach, although it will probably not happen without Israeli oversight as they're not likely to go through the trouble of removing Hamas from Gaza, only to mortgage their future security to the peacekeeping prowess of the UN.

Giggsyking

Imagine living like that not only on your own land, no, but in your own fecking house, and then comes a philosopher with his donkey logic and fecked up reason trying to explain why it is not a viable option for two state.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

Imagine living like that not only on your own land, no, but in your own fecking house, and then comes a philosopher with his donkey logic and fecked up reason trying to explain why it is not a viable option for two state.
It’s so fecked up. Then having to read about ‘extremist Palestinians’ being the problem on top of that.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Have you criticised the Israeli Governments consistent statements that there is no humanitarian crisis in Gaza?

And why will you not acknowledge the awful nature of your comments about why other countries won't take in more refugees? Could it be because those countries already host literally millions of refugees? Could it be because when refugees seem to leave this particular bit of land, it tends to be a one way exit?

Can you not see that this phrasing is exactly the same awful and anti semitic argument that's historically been used against Jewish people?
Absolutely, I am more than happy and open to criticise the Israeli government regarding their dismissing of a humanitarian crisis in Gaza. It serves only to dehumanise and justify the extremity of their response. Have I posted it here? No, because this thread is absolutely full of this sentiment already.

This response has come from me highlighting a vile interview where the leader of Hamas denied the killing of women, children and innocent people in Israel by Hamas terrorists. But apparently you can't do that without having to also dive into a plethora of whataboutism. My bad. I'll be sure to note Israeli atrocities whenever criticising Hamas and other extremist groups in the future.

And to your last point, no - you're the first to mention it. Actually, Palestinians are treated like shite in Egypt and in Jordan. Nowhere nearly as badly as by the Israelis but they are far from welcomed with open arms. I'm not fecking defending this, it's an additional branch to an already awful tree. One of the many reasons for this is because the governments in other countries are fearful of the spread of extremism that may come with this.

Are you honestly suggesting that Islamic Jihadist ideologies aren't an issue in Palestinian territories? Remind me again of the charters of both Hamas and the PIJ, and the regimes who support them?

For the record - I am incredibly critical of Israel. I think their current government poses immense threat to all in the region, including their own people. It's a government that needs to be moved on asap.

I also, however, think largely the same of the governing bodies in Gaza and the WB, and without the reinstating of new governments on all sides you won't have peace and you won't ever arrive at a two state solution, however distant it may feel now. But it's the only solution - one that includes the return of land to the Palestinians btw - that won't result in the mass extermination of huge swathes of peoples from both sides.

I'm genuinely sorry if any of this is offensive in any way, it's truly not my attention.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

The Palestinian heart & courage is unmatched.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

As if the IDF knew whose Hamas and whose not. All they got to do is ditch their weapon, bring some gear and voila they're citizen.

They should create a good living conditions with good paycheck and healthy environment for Palestinians, that'll will greatly reduce the urge to become Hamas. All these bombings would only bolster Hamas number, maybe not immediately but everyone involved would likely resort to become the next Hamas

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Also, the occupying forces have a population registry with addresses and occupations :)

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid

Also, the occupying forces have a population registry with addresses and occupations :)
I don't think many of the hysterical American journalists who were always talking about how "chilling" and "dangerous" it was when Trump called one of them a fat toad has said much about this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As if the IDF knew whose Hamas and whose not. All they got to do is ditch their weapon, bring some gear and voila they're citizen.

They should create a good living conditions with good paycheck and healthy environment for Palestinians, that'll will greatly reduce the urge to become Hamas. All these bombings would only bolster Hamas number, maybe not immediately but everyone involved would likely resort to become the next Hamas
It’s a bit late for that.

Ted Lasso

That poll is months old and has nothing to do with the war at all.

I havn't seen a poll in Israel about the war or a breakdown. I can only compare the reaction to those of past operations in Gaza. This is different. A lot different. Only the left of the left seem to be against it or the way it is conducted.
Sounds like you're probably more in tune with a lot of this than I am. I am really trying hard not to paint an entire group with a broad brush, again, reflecting on what the Trump presidency was like in the US. That said, certainly seeing a lot to substantiate what you're referencing. Since this is a football forum, just came across this which was pretty shocking to me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/therewasanattempt/s/YMxFH5Ijjv

Ted Lasso

Meanwhile Jewish citizen have been calling for a final solution, mocking Palestinian suffering, and dehumanizing them.
What in the absolute fck reality are we living in right now!?

Stay safe out there. Doesn't do much me saying it but really hope you do