Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Yep.

Sexual assaults likely have happened but as long as it's only investigated by organizations like ZAKA, people have the right to doubt it. Also, interestingly, the report mentions sexual violence against men and women in the West Bank not even Gaza which most likely won't be mentioned in the media. If people think this is anything but genocidal propaganda that recycles the same thing to paint certain narratives, they aren't paying attention.

Mike Smalling

remember when Dems were crying hard about Russians meddling on the last election?
Israel not only do the same, but literally bragging about it publicly and Dems have the nerve to think they're better
AIPAC is not exclusively funded by Israel though. I could be wrong, but I think it is actually primarily funded by pro-Israeli Americans.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Israel is not a standalone or oil rich economy. 90% of the economy is directly from US tax payers. All businesses running out of Israel are funded by US tax payers.

Lobbyists are basically filling US politicians with US tax payers money. They don't need Israel to be the middle men to pocket this money. There's something much more sinister, anti Christ levels of sinister, going on with the US and Israel. We're basically watching The Stand in real life.
Genuinely what on earth are you talking about? This is rubbish.

Raven

If you don't know about something it's often best to shut the feck up. You won't though, because you're a zealot with an agenda. Turns out the people of Ireland, north and south, give far more of a shit about far more people's struggles than your warped beliefs could possibly expect:

Made him look like an absolute mug, fair play.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
A month old but genuinely crazy how influential and how much money the pro-Israeli lobby is throwing into the US political class:

Revealed: Congress backers of Gaza war received most from pro-Israel donors
Guardian analysis finds top recipients of pro-Israel contributions in last elections were centrist Democrats who defeated progressives in primaries

Congress members who were more supportive of Israel at the start of the Gaza war received over $100,000 more on average from pro-Israel donors during their last election than those who most supported Palestine, a Guardian analysis of campaign data shows.
Those who took more money most often called for US military support and backed Israel’s response, even as Gaza’s civilian death toll mounted, the findings show. The analysis, which looks at positions taken during the war’s first six weeks, does not prove any particular member changed their position because they received pro-Israel campaign donations. However, some campaign finance experts who viewed the data argue that donor spending helped fuel Congress’s overwhelming support for Israel.

Revealed: Congress backers of Gaza war received most from pro-Israel donors | US Congress | The Guardian

Ish

Lights on for Luke
A month old but genuinely crazy how influential and how much money the pro-Israeli lobby is throwing into the US political class:

Revealed: Congress backers of Gaza war received most from pro-Israel donors
Guardian analysis finds top recipients of pro-Israel contributions in last elections were centrist Democrats who defeated progressives in primaries

Congress members who were more supportive of Israel at the start of the Gaza war received over $100,000 more on average from pro-Israel donors during their last election than those who most supported Palestine, a Guardian analysis of campaign data shows.
Those who took more money most often called for US military support and backed Israel’s response, even as Gaza’s civilian death toll mounted, the findings show. The analysis, which looks at positions taken during the war’s first six weeks, does not prove any particular member changed their position because they received pro-Israel campaign donations. However, some campaign finance experts who viewed the data argue that donor spending helped fuel Congress’s overwhelming support for Israel.

Revealed: Congress backers of Gaza war received most from pro-Israel donors | US Congress | The Guardian
Not surprising really. Money really does control the world.

the_cliff

I think a lot of Americans are waking up to the grip the Israeli's have over American politics. There's too much evidence for it to still be an anti Semitic conspiracy theory.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

I think a lot of Americans are waking up to the grip the Israeli's have over American politics. There's too much evidence for it to still be an anti Semitic conspiracy theory.
Honestly, id be so tempted to punch him.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Agree. I hope they follow it up with 30,000 flags for the Palestinian, but somehow I doubt they will.
I am completely for acts of showing solidarity and compassion to every innocent victim, regardless where they come from. That is a human thing to do.

I am sure there are many campuses where solidarity with Palestinians is expressed. I am happy for that. I also somehow doubt that you will find a follow up with the solidarity for Israel at the same place.

What I am not happy about is that this solidarity often metastasizes into verbal attacks, riots and violent rage against Jewish students, whom only guilt is...being Jewish. There is ton of accounts of that, etc. here, here, here (aiming vitriol at deaf students, wow). But why should the current generation of young Jews be any different to their parents...

Idxomer

Israel returns 47 bodies to Gaza after digging up graveyard
Israel has returned 47 bodies that had been taken from a graveyard in the vicinity of Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis when its military stormed the compound last month.
The bodies are now being buried here in Tal as-Sultan, the western part of Rafah. They were decomposed beyond recognition and those without name tags could not be recognised by their relatives.

This is not the first time graves have been desecrated. Bodies keep being dug out and kept for a long time. This is a tragedy for the people who have already lost so much and the desecration of graveyards and bodies is a violation under international law.
The Israeli army examined about 400 bodies from the Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis. It said none of the bodies was of captives.
Depravity on all levels.

Idxomer

Nice gesture but kind of an empty one, meaning the second tweet of course not the psychopathic leaflet.

They would be better off donating to UNRWA or finding a way to stop their countrymen from blocking the aid.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Nice gesture but kind of an empty one, meaning the second tweet of course not the psychopathic leaflet.

They would be better off donating to UNRWA or finding a way to stop their countrymen from blocking the aid.
In what way is it an empty gesture?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I read about their intent to do that a few days ago and I wasn't sure how they expected to get the aid into Gaza. It seemed clear to me that they would be stopped.
So? Have you been on a march in your city? If so, what did you expect it to actually do? What has it actually done?

Seems churlish to downplay what they're trying to do, considering what they're doing is significantly more practical in terms of actually trying to shift the dial, in essentially one of the only 2 countries that actually have influence, than I imagine basically anyone on here, and are doing it within an atmosphere far more hostile than those in which most of us are operating in.

Idxomer

I was a bit harsh though. Highlighting the contrast in the treatment toward them and the people blocking the aid is also a welcome move.

Conor

What a silly comment.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

More of this "getting her to admit" bullshit. The UN Representative is completely candid and the answers to the journalist's questions aren't hidden at all. It's all right there, in her report:
[this is regarding the verification of evidence at Kibbutz Be'eri - this includes the evidence presented by Yossi Landau]

(64) The mission team examined several allegations of sexual violence. It must be noted that witnesses and sources with whom the mission team engaged adopted over time an increasingly cautious and circumspect approach regarding past accounts, including in some cases retracting statements made previously. Some also stated to the mission team that they no longer felt confident in their recollections of other assertions that had appeared in the media.​
(65) At least two of the allegations of sexual violence previously reported were determined by the mission team to be unfounded, due to either new superseding information or inconsistency in the information gathered, including first responder testimonies, photographic evidence and other information. These included the allegation of a pregnant woman whose womb had reportedly been ripped open before she was killed, with her fetus stabbed while still inside her. Another such account was the interpretation initially made of the body of a girl found separated from the rest of her family, naked from the waist down. It was determined by the mission team that the crime scene had been altered by a bomb squad and the bodies moved, explaining the separation of the body of the girl from the rest of her family. Allegations of objects found inserted in female genital organs also could not be verified by the mission team due in large part to the limited availability and low quality of imagery.​
The twitter handle @zei_squirrel is also bullshitting when it comes to verification. The entire mandate of the UN team was to verify information according to an internationally agreed scale, or state where it could not (as above!). That the mission was not a fully fledged investigation does not mean it was incapable of fulfilling its appointed task.

Here's the entire press conference sans the report summary:
If there was any desire on the part of @zei_squirrel to provide an explanation of verification vs investigation (rather than obfuscate and denigrate) then they would have found the follow up questions (@24.27) to the part they cite far more illuminating. The best question and answer on the difference between an investigation and a verification mission is available @3.46 - 8.40. An explication of the various verification levels themselves is available at the very start. Of course all this is available in the report too. The best questions put to Patten were from the Arab News Daily representative (@42.50 & @45.45). He gets the single best quote from the entire press conference regarding the veracity of Israeli government claims:
"The first letter that I received from the government of Israel talked about hundreds, if not thousands of cases of brutal sexual violence perpetrated against men, women and children. I have not found anything like that."
He also gets by far the most informative responses regarding Patten's concerns about the weaponisation of the report.

As an aside The twitter source you and @idoxmer are posting seems pretty antisemitic to me. Check out this bullshit:
"They know that Israel is a rape cult masquerading as a society". Yeah @zei_squirrel can feck off with that sort of shite.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
seems about the going rate for the value of an israeli:palestinian life

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Totally non-biased source.
Biased, non-biased... mathematics doesn't care. Mathematics doesn't attack the messenger. Mathematics is all about the message.

Finally, on Feb. 15, Hamas admitted to losing 6,000 of its fighters, which represents more than 20% of the total number of casualties reported. Taken together, Hamas is reporting not only that 70% of casualties are women and children but also that 20% are fighters. This is not possible unless Israel is somehow not killing noncombatant men, or else Hamas is claiming that almost all the men in Gaza are Hamas fighters.

Giggsyking

For those of you who like mathematics, here is an excellent piece about why numbers from Gaza Ministry of Health doesn't add up. It is a longer read. Sorry.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/how-gaza-health-ministry-fakes-casualty-numbers
So how many has died? 25k instead of 30k? You do know there are thousands under the rubble so even this 30k is an underestimate.

But back to reporting on casualties, the numbers in the past 17 years has been shown to be accurate. So...

ZupZup

For those of you who like mathematics, here is an excellent piece about why numbers from Gaza Ministry of Health doesn't add up. It is a longer read. Sorry.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/how-gaza-health-ministry-fakes-casualty-numbers
This is clearly a very pro-Israel source. Nonetheless, I don’t think anybody would claim that reporting daily death figures during an ongoing genocide would be remotely simple. Quibbling over the exact numbers seems somewhat arbitrary given what we can all see is happening in Gaza. About 70% of buildings have been destroyed or damaged. The loss of civilian life is obviously huge.

The “Hamas run Health Ministry” has also previously published lists of names, ages and ID numbers of casualties. The article should maybe mention that. Those same ID numbers are controlled by Israel and after publication, it would have surely been easy to disprove if they had been in fact, made up.

the_cliff

This is clearly a very pro-Israel source. Nonetheless, I don’t think anybody would claim that reporting daily death figures during an ongoing genocide would be remotely simple. Quibbling over the exact numbers seems somewhat arbitrary given what we can all see is happening in Gaza. About 70% of buildings have been destroyed or damaged. The loss of civilian life is obviously huge.

The “Hamas run Health Ministry” has also previously published lists of names, ages and ID numbers of casualties. The article should maybe mention that. Those same ID numbers are controlled by Israel and after publication, it would have surely been easy to disprove if they had been in fact, made up.
Plus as mentioned before, those figures are the bodies that have been found. It's unfortunate but the majority of people 'missing' are more than likely dead.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I really liked the mathematical part where they spelt out that a 'substantial' fraction of UNRWA staff in Gaza are affiliated to Hamas, in the process linking to an article saying that 190 UNRWA workers were Hamas or Islamic Jihad operatives (while also being at pains to point out that literally no evidence was provided for this)...out of 13,000 UNRWA staff in Gaza.

Do you wanna do the maths on what 190/13,000 is as a fraction, even if you assume that its not totally made up?

The daily totals he has an issue with (from his own figures, which I don't have the time or energy to factcheck myself) range from 196 to 341, between 27th October and 10th November. These will be, by definition, amongst the hottest times of the war and there was not much variation in the severity of attacks during this period. Regardless, he claims that the average is 270 +/- 15%. Could someone explain to me how 196 (the lowest figure he himself provides) is within 15% of the average of 270?

I've also multipled the average (270) by 16 (the number of days he provides in his own table at the bottom) and it comes out to 4320. Which aren't any of the numbers he provides as total casualties in his own table and certainly not anywhere near the 'Hamas reported' casualty figures.

I was going to ask you the same question I ask everyone who says these casualty figures are made up. Which is OK then, how many do you think have actually died? I assume, like those others, you won't answer either. But then I saw that the author of the article himself posits his own conclusions. The 'best' case scenario for him is that 24,000 have died, of them 12,000 combatants. The 'worst' is almost 29,000, of whom 12,000 are combatants.

Its also interesting that he uses the fact that this war is different in scope or scale to other previous wars as a reason why the casualties would be less than previous ones? or that international observers are absent from this war (and fails to mention the obvious reason why).

Perhaps I'm an idiot but could you make the maths make sense to me?

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
For what it's worth a Swiss war journalist who came back from Israel came to a similar conclusion in a recent radio interview. He also thought that the ratio of combatant loss to civilian loss is likely no where close to being correct.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
For what it's worth a Swiss war journalist who came back from Israel came to a similar conclusion in a recent radio interview. He also thought that the ratio of combatant loss to civilian loss is likely no where close to being correct.
What were his sources?