Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

neverdie

I have friends in Israel who are openly critical of the Israeli govt stance on Palestine/ homesteads being built etc.
Which doesn't matter in the context of Israeli statehood which is what is being discussed with regard to apartheid. No one is saying all Israelis are racist or support apartheid, the point is that the Israeli state is racist and conducts apartheid policies.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
You’re right I haven’t, that’s why the post was posed as a question. And I was right in that they aren’t the greatest lovers of the Palestinians
You are totally right, I have no idea why this much hate exists between them, but from another point of view the palestinians in some cases didnt help themselves, no matter which country that accepted them as refugees they tried to cause a stir, particularly in Jordan and Lebanon (arguably the main reason behind the lebanese civil war) but thats another topic...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Which doesn't matter in the context of Israeli statehood which is what is being discussed with regard to apartheid. No one is saying all Israelis are racist or support apartheid, the point is that the Israeli state is racist and conducts apartheid policies.
I think you’ll find that it’s being implied that Israelis are racist( by some not all)

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
But didn’t they ban Israeli players from coming into the UAE? I recall Yossi Benayoun being refused a visa when he was at WHU. Have things changed?

In previous years the Saudis were openly helping the PLO much to the consternation of Saudis in general. I once acted as tour guide for a member of the ruling family and he told me how much Palestinians were hated
Not sure how long ago that incident was, but very recently UAE opened their doors to Israeli citizens. There's definitely a shift happening, I think some north African countries have recently officially recognised Israel too.

Also doesn't surprise me about the Saudi's they really couldn't care less about the Palestinians.

Not sure how long ago that incident was, but very recently UAE opened their doors to Israeli citizens. There's definitely a shift happening, I think some north African countries have recently officially recognised Israel too.

Also doesn't surprise me about the Saudi's they really couldn't care less about the Palestinians.
Yeah, that's one of Trump's projects.

If anyone is interested: Israel–United Arab Emirates normalization agreement - Wikipedia

Inigo Montoya

You are totally right, I have no idea why this much hate exists between them, but from another point of view the palestinians in some cases didnt help themselves, no matter which country that accepted them as refugees they tried to cause a stir, particularly in Jordan and Lebanon (arguably the main reason behind the lebanese civil war) but thats another topic...
From what the lad told me, it was over the financial backing they gave the PLO and what the Saudis believe just lines the pockets of high ranking officials within the organisation.
Obviously I have no way of verifying it but if this is a widespread belief among people in SA and the UAE, you can get why there is hate

Fredo

You broke my heart!
From what the lad told me, it was over the financial backing they gave the PLO and what the Saudis believe just lines the pockets of high ranking officials within the organisation.
Obviously I have no way of verifying it but if this is a widespread belief among people in SA and the UAE, you can get why there is hate
In all honesty the PLO are one of the most corrupt people yes, the money they received should have been enough to maximize the enhancements that are possible with the due occupation of their territories but yes, like most arab top-tier officials, corruption is in their blood.

Inigo Montoya

I suppose if you’re dealing with very wealthy men like Abramovjcit pays not to discriminate against fellow citizens.

Money talks

space

Free Palestine. End Aparthied. Say no to settler colonialism. Seeing actual stories from Gaza... tragic. May Palestine be liberated in our lifetimes

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Inappropriate Behavior
Dude he was discussing the 'victim mentality' of 'Israel' - He literally said, and I quote: "Israel is so good at playing the victim role and having been doing so for around 60-70 years now, time to wake up."

60 years ago is 1961, just before the 6 day war. 70 years is 1951, just after the formation of Israel and the end of the holocaust..

How in any way has 'Israel' as a government, played the victim in any way? They have robustly defended against multiple invasion attempts and terrorism. One would be more accurate characterizing them as a regional superpower or even aggressor these days. So who does he mean when he says "Israel is so good at playing the victim role and having been doing so for around 60-70 years now, time to wake up."

Bear in mind he preceded this comment with the following quote: " Europe (in general) still pays them to this day for the atrocities committed, despite so many countries not having to do anything with the genocide itself. "

Directly complaining about reparations and how Israel is 'playing the victim' for the holocaust.

Europe (in general) still pays them to this day for the atrocities committed, despite so many countries not having to do anything with the genocide itself. Add to the fact that it was Britain who kind of brought them back to the middle-east and eventually erupted this conflict since 48. There have been way more atrocities committed across the globe (armenian genocide, cambodian genocide) but nobody admits/mentions them, Belgium alone killed half of the cambodian population yet nobody nags about it. Israel is so good at playing the victim role and having been doing so for around 60-70 years now, time to wake up.

The whole paragraph.

- Europe pays for the Holocaust. Despite many countries not being responsible. Because israel plays the victim.
- Britain kind of brought 'them' aka Jews back to the middle east
- Britain erupted this conflict since 48
- What about the other atrocities and victims. Nobody mentions them BECAUSE Israel is so good at playing the victim over the holocaust
- Time to wake up, they aren't a victim.

The intent is clear as day. I get you don't give a feck, and I've not even reported it because I know you don't, but it crosses a line in so many ways. It's anti semitic bile.
:lol: :lol: :lol: so this is your interpretation? As I said, I denounce what happened to the jewish people as I mentioned a lot of times in my other posts which you failed to copy because you are a wanker of the highest order. and Israel YES always has been playing the victim's role, Israel the state, not the jewish people, big difference according to you, so next time you want to feel wound up, I suggest you do some history research and admit the fact that Israel is a terrorist state of the highest order. I can mention tons of massacres committed by the israeli state against other countries but I am not sure your brain will be able to handle it.

Britain erupted it yes, who else promised the jewish people a return to Jerusalem other than Britain? If you are uneducated and have 0 insights in history, then dont come to this thread.

I said time to wake up, not that the jewish people arent a victim, but the way the Israeli state shows itself in front of the world as being attacked by plastic-made rockets when it drops tons of bombs on civilians, I think you should really shut the feck up because honestly I am fed up of you trying to change my words into something anti-semitic just because you have no arguments to put on the table, if anything you are uneducated and unaware of your surroundings.

Conor

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think it pretty much says it all that the second bullet point is even included in that definition.
Its also explanatory of how expansive the definition is for some. This is the case for most terms where groups are seeking reclaim and redefine language to wield power over critics.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Palestinians, Lebanese both Muslim and Christian and Jews of the area are descendants of Canaanites. Not than that even matters. It's a disgusting situation, one that no one is willing to sort out. And please spare the obfuscation.
It's been a few pages, but I just wanted to add that I agree with this, in case that wasn't clear from my own posts.

Roane

https://qurantalkblog.com/2020/05/14/what-is-the-meaning-of-وَاضْرِبُوهُنَّ-in-434-of-quran/

I read arabic too so in the context here it's what it means, would it be possible to share a link for the classical scholars?

ما حق زوجة أحدنا عليه ؟ قال : " يطعمها ويكسوها , ولا يضرب الوجه ولا يقبح ولا يهجر إلا في البيت " - Prophet Quote

If you read arabic, it says that you cannot hit the face, doesn't say that you can't beat women.
I post in between work so would have to look for the links.

My main focus was on the root word, which has multiple meanings including washing the face if I recall.

Daraaba has multiple meanings too. Allied with Hadith and explanations of Hadith (and actions of the Prophet and the Sahabah the meaning was never "beat" as the likes of taqi usmani translated it.)

Probably needs a sperate discussion thread so as not to derail to be honest. It's an intensive and comprehensive subject.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Its also explanatory of how expansive the definition is for some. This is the case for most terms where groups are seeking reclaim and redefine language to wield power over critics.
This is a great insight and people on both sides, of most arguments, should take into consideration

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Obviously it doesn't paint the full picture but this video shows how some believe that palestinians are foreigners and not locals.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is a great insight and people on both sides, of most arguments, should take into consideration
Its similar to terms like racism that have morphed into something different over the years. A lot of people still think its only about individual to individual racial slurs and reject its application in a systemic or institutional context. Same concept applies to anti-semitism, where the linguistic battle over its meaning often overshadows the nature of actual events on the ground.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Nobody is saying otherwise but some posts are running very close to crossing into AS. I’ve seen people compare Israel’s policies today to Nazi policies in the 1930’s, which I believe is antisemitic according to the IHRA definition.
What worth does the IHRA definition have when the international community stands by and watches ethnic cleansing in Israel and China.

Antisemitism is used as a shield to defend exposure of Israel’s practices. The difference between Nazi Germany and Israel is that the latter doesn’t have the freedom to just willy nilly go all out with an extermination regime - it has to do it bit by bit in order to keep the powers on side without generating too much ‘real’ conflict from the Muslim world. Other than that it is using very similar tactics that were used in the 1930’s era and similar to Apartheid.

It hasn’t crossed into Nazi Germany 1940s version but it isn’t for the want of trying. If they could, they would.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I understand the challenge with referring to specific Nazi ideology, but would referring to Israeli policy as ‘fascist’ be anti-Semitic?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's basically a con job. You can't criticize us for doing certain things (so we'll do them).
I don't think that it's fair. Based on the last point, it seems that they acknowledge the idea that the state of Israel could have actions that are reprehensible. The point about the Nazis is I believe in the context of a crass comparison that is solely meant as an hurtful claim more than a realistic one.

rotherham_red

I have an honest question and I hope you don't mind me asking. Does the word "subhuman" directly stem from the german word "Untermensch" (or maybe the other way around) or is it at least inevitably connected to nazi/far right wing extremist terminology? In Germany at least, it is definitely nazi terminology and the use of it would lead to a lot of trouble for the person using it. So I hope I don't come across narrow minded, but I read it as someone using a nazi word criticizing Israeli actions. Which would mean reading it very different than criticism by someone not using nazi terminology.
Ah didn't realise the connotations, my apologies. I just used it because in this instance, the author of the letter displayed almost no humanity, will edit now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I understand the challenge with referring to specific Nazi ideology, but would referring to Israeli policy as ‘fascist’ be anti-Semitic?
It wouldn't be accurate given that fascism actually has a series of core characteristics associated with it.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Its similar to terms like racism that have morphed into something different over the years. A lot of people still think its only about individual to individual racial slurs and reject its application in a systemic or institutional context. Same concept applies to anti-semitism, where the linguistic battle over its meaning often overshadows the nature of actual events on the ground.
Ever expansive, as you kinda said. The left will = communists / the right = nazis. Whatever worst category I can put your belief under to disqualify it without actually having to discuss it

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I've seen people told off from making comparisons with kashmir and xinjiang on twitter, because kashmir is not a homeland in a comparable sense, and equating the homeland with this non-homeland is a subtle anti-semitism. This was many months ago, so I can't remember which tweet though.

Are you criticizing Israeli policy? Then the answer is yes.
:lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It wouldn't be accurate given that fascism actually has a series of core characteristics associated with it.
And some could interpret Israeli policy as associative of some of those tenets. Just using Eco’s tenets, there’s a few that could be applied to Israeli policy.

Roane

The more I read/discuss the Palestine and Israel situation the more I find myself shaking my head. Not because of the new incidents that are being posted, like the one above interviewing Jewish residents, but the misinformation and narrative.

You only have to look at something like Wikipedia to see the sequence of events that have happened in Palestine since the late 1800s to refute some of the narrative. And here I will be using names to.mean the people in power/ govts.

I have no love for Saudi but the whole "Saudis hate Israel/Jews" narrative is something that I can't get my head around because Faisal himself signed an agreement. Ben gurion was clear that he would accept anything to begin with but once there and a "force" Israel would take over as much as they could.

I hate Hamas, always have done and not because of Israel etc but purely from a Muslim perspective and what their leaders stand for. But they began fighting in about 1989. So what with the Israel is defending itself because of Hamas rockets. What about the time between 1948 and 1989?

Even Britain didn't escape attacks from Israelis, the hotel whose name I can't remember was an attack in a British Embassy iirc.

The cover ups of Israeli operations trying to blame others is there if people choose to look.

Was it Benny Morris, a Jewish historian, who said the firtlst attack in Palestine was a Jewish person who killed an Arab in the 1890's?