Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

gfactor86

Exactly. What are the chances they will revive the baby beheading stories next time they are in trouble? Israel has had lying as a core pillar in their communication strategy since well before October 7th.

Obviously, there are actors on the other side also trying to win the war of public opinion. But it's notable that all mainstream media outlets in the West are generally on Team Israel.
This is the problem with this thread and social media in general. Israel is treated to a completely different standard.

- Israeli woman says she has been raped. You're a liar! Prove it!
- IDF finds Hamas tunnels. You're a liar! Prove it!
- "Flour Massacre" caused by stampede. You're a liar! Prove it!
- Hamas rocket hit the Al Ahli hospital. You're a liar! Prove it!
- UN says Israeli woman likely raped on 10/7. Lies! ISRAELI PROPAGANDA!

Hamas Ministry of Health...

- 30,000 dead. No need for verification this is obvious entirely accurate.
- "Pallywood" movie scenes. No need for verification this is obvious entirely accurate.

I am not trying to defend Israel here. I am just saying that there is a blatant double standard where everything from the Palestinian/Hamas side is treated as "the gospel", while anything from Israel is immediately thrown out as lies and Israeli propaganda.

Is there not just the smallest possibility that Hamas would "bake" their numbers to ensure maximum condemnation of Israel and to further their own cause and interests? Is it not a bit curious that they are so sure 30,000 people have been killed, but not so sure about how many Israeli hostages are alive?

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
This is the problem with this thread and social media in general. Israel is treated to a completely different standard.

- "Pallywood" movie scenes. No need for verification this is obvious entirely accurate.

I am not trying to defend Israel here. I am just saying that there is a blatant double standard where everything from the Palestinian/Hamas side is treated as "the gospel", while anything from Israel is immediately thrown out as lies and Israeli propaganda.

Is there not just the smallest possibility that Hamas would "bake" their numbers to ensure maximum condemnation of Israel and to further their own cause and interests? Is it not a bit curious that they are so sure 30,000 people have been killed, but not so sure about how many Israeli hostages are alive?
This is 100% accurate description.

gfactor86

Israel doing their best to regurgitate more of their rape propaganda through a UN representative this time.

Sure we’ll be reading lots more articles pumping this story out in the next day or two. Stenographers at the ready.

Imagine if I had posted something like this....immediate thread ban! But it's all fine here.

gfactor86

If you found out a female friend or colleague was raped. Would you ask her for proof? No, probably not.

But if it's an Israeli woman. Yes of course, she cannot be trusted to tell the truth.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
If you found out a female friend or colleague was raped. Would you ask her for proof? No, probably not.

But if it's an Israeli woman. Yes of course, she cannot be trusted to tell the truth.
If you found out 40 babies were beheaded. Would you ask for proof? Yes, you probably would.

But if it's an Israeli claim. You have to run with it in all the pro-Zionist media, and get POTUS to parrot the claim before looking into proof.

Idxomer

The number of war crimes admitted by those scumbags is staggering.

Mike Smalling

There is a lot going on here, but I will give it a go anyway.

1) I literally just wrote that there are bad actors on both sides that are trying to win the war of public opinion. Of course there is also exaggeration and lies on the pro-Palestinia side. But it is notable that you once again decide to compare Israel to Hamas, which you would think wouldn't be flattering for Israel.

2) You won't find a post of mine in this thread that says that I don't think rapes were committed on October 7th. Actually I think it's highly likely. I'm casting doubt on why it is coming up again now - I think it has something to do with Israel being under a bit of international pressure for once.

3) On the 30,000 dead this is always qualified with the "Hamas led Ministry of Health" in Western media, which is meant to cast some doubt on the numbers. However, given the pictures of destruction we have seen, the number of bombs Israel says they have dropped, the population density, and the ability to treat the wounded, I don't see why it wouldn't be accurate. In fact, the number if probably higher with the number of people trapped under the rubble. And even if it was only half, it would still be absolutely abhorrent behavior from "the most moral army in the world".

4) If Israel was interested in a fair view of this conflict, they would allow neutral journalists into Gaza, and they wouldn't make an extra effort to kill the local journalists reporting on it (around 90 killed so far). But they are not interested in that.

5) Israel has already been caught in so many comically bad lies, that it is only natural to be a bit skeptical about whatever they come out with.

6) On the flour massacre, why should I believe Israel here, when they have chosen to only release redacted satelitte images? What reason would there be for them to not release the full images, if it absolves them of crimes?

7) We have so many video clips of IDF soldiers in Gaza acting completely deranged, as well as statements from their elected officials in the highest offices about "human animals" etc., that you don't need any imagination at all to come to the conclusion that atrocities are being committed by Israel. They are downright revelling in it.

8) If you honestly think Israel is being held to a different standard, I don't know what to tell you. That only happens online. In the real world, Israel is literally getting away with murder, while the rest of the world wring their hands and offer at most mild pushback.

At this point, I am absolutely baffled about how anyone can look at the Gaza situation and continue to defend Israel. The ones that do, I imagine to be either Israeli themselves or really, really Islamophobic. And frankly, I think your use of the term "Pallywood", when thousands are dying to be quite disgusting.

NotThatSoph

"Pallywood" typically refers to Palestinians acting, or otherwise staging or faking incidents, in an effort to make themselves look like victims.

What incidents do you have in mind?

Idxomer

Look at the way he answers, this guy doesn't even believe in his spins anymore and he can't hide it.

BarstoolProphet

I don't know why is regurgitating, if there is rape, is rape, no matter who does it. And if it is the UN representative, at least is a bit more reliable.

I don't find out of this word that in October 7th there was raping. feck, they were killing and kidnapping innocent people, I don't think they draw any line.

But nothing, not even rape, warrants what is happening now
Agree with this. Don't really see the point in disputing that it most likely happened and I don't see the point in questioning the UN representative's credibility here either, as it probably would have an opposite effect in that it gives staunch Israel defenders more fuel to deflect from the current situation. But it's all minor details now relative to what has happened after October 7th.

gfactor86

So if UNWRA say IDF did something bad in Gaza then its gospel. But the UN say Israeli women were raped then its false. Ok.

Idxomer

"Pallywood" typically refers to Palestinians acting, or otherwise staging or faking incidents, in an effort to make themselves look like victims.

What incidents do you have in mind?
Not seen the post but anyone using "Pallywood" unironically isn't worth listening to or arguing with.

gfactor86

https://x.com/imshin/status/1764988796540510700?s=20

Mahmoud al-Ghefari, a Gazan writer, shows us a wartime street market in Gaza City. In his wish to show the resilience of the Gazans, he says "Nearly everything is available... Everything is sold here. From the bounty of the land and its herbs, to locally made goods, such as sumsumiya.

Idxomer

"You will not starve": join the aid convoy for the residents of Gaza! The government does not allow sufficient basic humanitarian aid to enter the hungry millions in Gaza, and when a little aid does enter, battalions of settlers block it. We are not standing by anymore. This coming Thursday we are all mobilizing to demand an end to starvation in Gaza.
Good gesture, let's see whether they would be stopped by the people organized by a terrorist wanted by the FBI.

jadaba

So if UNWRA say IDF did something bad in Gaza then its gospel. But the UN say Israeli women were raped then its false. Ok.
You don't see the parallels with the way you disregard all UN reports? UN experts condemn intentional starvation of civilians by Israel, warn of famine, condemn massacres committed by Israel, and you say they can't be trusted. But now a UN report says something that aligns with what Israeli institutions are saying and suddenly to you contradicting the word of the UN is shocking? At least pretend to be consistent.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
You don't see the parallels with the way you disregard all UN reports? UN experts condemn intentional starvation of civilians by Israel, warn of famine, condemn massacres committed by Israel, and you say they can't be trusted. But now a UN report says something that aligns with what Israeli institutions are saying and suddenly to you contradicting the word of the UN is shocking? At least pretend to be consistent.
I think to a certain extent we are all guilty of that (as in selective perception of facts). For me, I find it increasingly difficult what and whom to believe with regard to this conflict.

gfactor86

I think to a certain extent we are all guilty of that (as in selective perception of facts). For me, I find it increasingly difficult what and whom to believe with regard to this conflict.

I agree.It is impossible to know who is telling the truth because for every claim made by one side, you have a counter claim made by the other. Social media is awash with propaganda (from both sides).

jadaba

Selective perception of facts is one thing and I'm sure the best of us struggle to be perfectly objective in a highly emotional context.

It is entirely another thing, that the poster is guilty of, to disregard and demonise volumes of UN reports of the most harrowing crimes against humanity, and then feigning indignation that others would have the audacity to dismiss a report by the same institution in this instance. He has done what he's pretending to be outraged about countless times.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Selective perception of facts is one thing and I'm sure the best of us struggle to be perfectly objective in a highly emotional context.

It is entirely another thing, that the poster is guilty of, to disregard and demonise volumes of UN reports of the most harrowing crimes against humanity, and then feigning indignation that others would have the audacity to dismiss a report by the same institution in this instance. He has done what he's pretending to be outraged about countless times.
He's a hypocrite, as most tend to be on the Israeli side. It's the only way they can support the regime with a straight face.

NYAS

The US secretary of defence says 25,000 women and children have died, but we have people on RedCafe who still think “30,000 dead” is an exaggeration by the “Khamas-run Ministry of Health”.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

NYAS

Idxomer

The US secretary of defence says 25,000 women and children have died, but we have people on RedCafe who still think “30,000 dead” is an exaggeration by the “Khamas-run Ministry of Health”.
The 30000 number is actually an underestimate by at least a few thousands and is also used by the Israelis.

rotherham_red

A couple, detailed threads on the UN report, which go line by line, on what it actually states:

Idxomer

It feels like we're getting one of those every few hours now.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
People post Twitter links all day in here about what is happening in Gaza and their motives for posting them aren't questioned.
You refuse to answer then. Ok, here's how I see it. You'd like to downplay the idea that Gazans are starving. You'd like to imply that the Red Cross, Oxfam, Medecins Sans Frontieres, UNWRA, OCHA (this is not exhaustive) are all just pretending that famine is imminent and that actually Gazans are lying and living in a land of plenty.

Why not post other tweets from that esteemed account:

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
@gfactor86 and @Giggsy PO, How refreshing it is to find you both in agreement. I never thought I'd see the day.

Hold the line, guys.

The 30000 number is actually an underestimate by at least a few thousands and is also used by the Israelis.
Given the few thousands who are still under the rubble and another few who will die because of starvation, lack of appropriate medical treatment and overall terrible life conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if this war ends with over well 50,000 dead Palestinians. And that's not counting the permanently disabled people and a completely traumatized generation that will have to live with the horrors that have been inflicted upon them in the last four months.

There's been two new acronyms coined specifically for the Palestinians: WNSCF (Wounded Child with No Surviving Familiy) and CSTD (Chronic Stress Disorder).

But hey, self-defense.

Last edited:

gfactor86

@gfactor86 and @Giggsy PO, How refreshing it is to find you both in agreement. I'd never thought I'd see the day.

Hold the line, guys.

Given the few thousands who are still under the rubble and another few who die and/or will die because of starvation, lack of appropriate medical treatment and overall terrible life conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if this war ends with over well 50,000 dead Palestinians. And that's not counting the permanently disabled people and a completely traumatized generation who'll have to live with the horror that's been inflicted upon them in the last four months.

There's been two new acronyms coined specifically for the Palestinians: WNSCF (Wounded Child with No Surviving Familiy) and CSTD (Chronic Stress Disorder). That leaves a population utterly traumatized for generations.

I've had bombs exploding, bullets flying and people dying around me. Occasionally. Twenty-five years later and despite my surroundings being much safer, I still look over my shoulder and am highly nervous when in crowded areas or hearing firecrackers. Let alone the nightmares. That's something that will never leave me. I can't even begin to imagine what the Gazan population has endured in the last four months and what scars it will leave behind.

But hey, self-defense.
Yeah and the hundreds of thousands of displaced Israelis that will live in fear of Hamas terrorists bursting into their homes in the night to rape and burn them alive.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
@gfactor86 and @Giggsy PO, How refreshing it is to find you both in agreement. I'd never thought I'd see the day.

Hold the line, guys.

Given the few thousands who are still under the rubble and another few who will die because of starvation, lack of appropriate medical treatment and overall terrible life conditions, I wouldn't be surprised if this war ends with over well 50,000 dead Palestinians. And that's not counting the permanently disabled people and a completely traumatized generation who'll have to live with the horror that's been inflicted upon them in the last four months.

There's been two new acronyms coined specifically for the Palestinians: WNSCF (Wounded Child with No Surviving Familiy) and CSTD (Chronic Stress Disorder). That leaves a population utterly traumatized for generations.

I've had bombs exploding, bullets flying and people dying around me. Occasionally. Twenty-five years later and despite my surroundings being much safer, I still look over my shoulder and am highly nervous when in crowded areas or hearing firecrackers. Let alone the nightmares. That's something that will never leave me. I can't even begin to imagine what the Gazan population has endured in the last four months and what scars it will leave behind.

But hey, self-defense.
It's not even the last 5 months that's just the issue. If you were a child born in 2009, you would have lived through about 6 of these by now. Imagining you survived them all - you'd be 15 years old with about 6 wars behind you, with each one worst than the last...and you're still expected to suffer in silence. It's a joke.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Yeah and the hundreds of thousands of displaced Israelis that will live in fear of Hamas terrorists bursting into their homes in the night to rape and burn them alive.
And thousands of people who cannot return to their homes on the northern border because of Hezbollah.

edit: Basically add every single person living in Israel. They can go sleep and hope to wake up just because of Iron Dome.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Yep.

Sexual assaults likely have happened but as long as it's only investigated by organizations like ZAKA, people have the right to doubt it. Also, interestingly, the report mentions sexual violence against men and women in the West Bank not even Gaza which most likely won't be mentioned in the media. If people think this is anything but genocidal propaganda that recycles the same thing to paint certain narratives, they aren't paying attention.
Just to take issue with the tweet you posted.

Tweet says: "She has no investigative powers or abilities"
Report says [pg7 (24)]:
"The mission team was led by the SRSG-SVC with the support of a technical team comprised of nine staff members with relevant expertise drawn from the United Nations system. The technical team included a principal human rights officer that acted as its head; a police expert in criminal investigation; a judicial affairs officer; two sexual and gender-based violence investigators skilled in the safe and ethical interviewing of survivors/victims and witnesses of sexual violence crimes; a forensic pathologist; a digital and open-source information analyst; and two political affairs officers"
Seems like they have investigative abilities.

Tweet implies that because the team had no investigative mandate it doesn't have the power to verify. This is untrue, and the difference is explained in the report:
[Pg8 (25)]:
"The mandate of the SRSG-SVC encompasses the gathering, analysis, and verification of existing, as well as independently received information on incidents and patterns of conflict related sexual violence. The mission was not intended to be, and is not a substitute for, an investigation by relevant United Nations entities mandated for that purpose, nor is it a replacement for criminal investigations and proceedings subject to due process of law."

The account you quoted wants to imply that Pramila Patten is somehow corrupt or underhand; she is described as attempting to "bury", she "finally admits", the report itself merits "scare quotes". The reality is that the report is very upfront about the difficulties it faced, the scope of its remit and the limitations of its conclusions.

It doesn't strike me as particularly useful only to laud those UN investigations and conclusions that point to Israeli culpability. We know that what happened on October 7th was monstrous in its own right and the report does a good job of explaining why it finds reasonable grounds to believe sexual violence took place. It makes no claims, nor presents any conclusions beyond its self stated, limited remit.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Hamas, has consistently said the truth with their dead numbers in other occasions. Verified by Israel and UN. Why lie now?

In the other hand, the IDF had been lying consistently.

Is a matter of trust and as much one is a terrorist group, didn't lie in the past on numbers (I am not saying anything else) and the other, as much as is a supposedly democratic organization, had been lying through its teeth

Sure you might understand that