Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Amir

It still hinges on whether Netanyahu is willing to lose his power and what sustainable calm entails. It sounds like another term that doesn't actually indicate an end to the war unlike what the article says.
Netanyahu is focused on his power more than anything. That's a big part of this mess. He just can't afford to end the war as it might cost him his govenment.

Tibs

They've been bombing Rafah again, including storage facilities where food aid was being kept.

Israel, good for three things: Lying, stealing, murdering.

neverdie

On 10 April, in the thick of the war on Gaza, the Israeli government, facing a labor crisis, announced that it would fly in 6,000 Indian laborers during April and May on state-subsidized shuttle flights.
This decision follows Israel's suspension of work permits for Palestinian construction workers, a move that has significantly impacted its building sector. Israel’s Finance Ministry estimates that the absence of Palestinian laborers is costing the economy about three billion shekels ($828 million) monthly, which could lead to a loss of three percent of GDP as the building and housing markets struggle with debt amounting to 400 billion shekels ($106 billion).
Simultaneously, New Delhi, overlooking the genocide and humanitarian crisis unfolding in Gaza, has agreed to send Indian construction workers to replace the displaced Palestinian workforce. This decision aligns with a bilateral agreement to integrate 100,000 Indian laborers into Israel’s construction industry, matching the number of ousted Palestinian workers.
A colonial strategy
Canadian immigration attorney Aidan Simardone, speaking to The Cradle, compares the situation to historical colonial practices in North America where marginalized European religious groups, like the Puritans, were brought in to service colonial interests.
Israel, he points out, is adopting a similar strategy by recruiting economically disadvantaged Hindu Indians from regions like Uttar Pradesh, aiming to manage demographic and political challenges seamlessly.
The move is also an attempt by Israel to pull the rug out from under one of the thorns on the side of colonialism. Colonialism requires squeezing blood out of a stone, yet this squeezing depends on the sweat and tears of those who are at the bottom of the barrel.
Simardone notes the inherent risks for the colonizer in relying entirely on an indigenous labor force, as workers will rebel when colonialism reveals its true nature.
To steer clear of this predicament, colonizers bring in labor from other parts. These laborers are often pushed to the sidelines as well, but unlike the Indigenous population, they go with the flow rather than swimming against the tide when it comes to the colonial project.
https://thecradle.co/articles/the-g...t-to-replace-palestinian-workers-with-indians

Idxomer

Netanyahu is focused on his power more than anything. That's a big part of this mess. He just can't afford to end the war as it might cost him his govenment.
That's why I don't expect them to reach a deal again. They have the Rafah demolition as a six-month operation, which will help Netanyahu survive longer in power.

Idxomer

Some insane stuff has been happening from the admins of those universities and the reaction in the media hasn't been any less crazy.

Idxomer

But US doesnt recognize the ICC. Why they care
They still care about the optics, for some reason. I doubt those reports anyway. Some investigators might be making recommendations, but I'm not sure we're any closer to them issuing an arrest warrant for someone like Netanyahu. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In addition to that, it seems the government has committed itself to "getting rid of Hamas", which would mean eventually going into Rafah irrespective of any hostage deals. Anything less and the right wingers would probably jump off the ship.

Amir

In addition to that, it seems the government has committed itself to "getting rid of Hamas", which would mean eventually going into Rafah irrespective of any hostage deals. Anything less and the right wingers would probably jump off the ship.
Possibly, yes.

Thing is, the polls don't look good at all for one of them (Smotrich) and overall, if we go to a general election right now, the current govenment is likely to lose and they'll lose their positions.

So in theory, both the far-right ministers and Netanyahu have this mutual threat against each other. However, Netanyahu is a known coward, easy to bend and has more to lose - like his freedom, because of his trial (in which he's suppoed to testify in a few months). He won't take the risk, though I'm not sure how much longer he can juggle everything and keep everyone happy enough in his govenment, the US, the world, etc.

Amir

That's why I don't expect them to reach a deal again. They have the Rafah demolition as a six-month operation, which will help Netanyahu survive longer in power.
I haven't heard of a six-month plan, but I'll believe anything. It's all about delaying tactics.

We'll see how the current suggested deal is received. Most of the war cabinet tends to support a deal that will be decent enough and are unlikely to keep quiet anymore if Netanyahu prevents it. Things are explosive right now both in government and society.

Giggsyking

Hamas does not represent Gazan let alone the entire Palestinian population, yet we hear (they don't want peace). The only ones that refuse peace is the Israelis because they do not want to give land to the indigenous people of the land.

Idxomer

Saying this after Blinken kissed their ass about the deal. I don't know how Blinken can do it much longer. At some point you just look like a fecking idiot.
They can stop him if they want to. They don't, they have been a part of everything planned since the start.

Giggsyking

Depraved zionists: "It's not a genocide".
Separating men from the rest should not be allowed at any cost. We know what will happen to them, it will be a bloodbath.

This sound just like Bosnia.

Kaos

Separating men from the rest should not be allowed at any cost. We know what will happen to them, it will be a bloodbath.

This sound just like Bosnia.
I mean that's pretty much straight out of the genocide handbook. Isolate the men and let them have it, irrespective of whether they're combatants or not.

No doubt Israel, the US and their apologists would continue labelling every adult male casualty as a Hamas one though.

Giggsyking

I like the sadness in his voice, I know even if they issue the warrant nothing will happen, but officially internationally declaring him a war criminal is unprecedented in modern history for a "free world western leader".

Halftrack

I like the sadness in his voice, I know even if they issue the warrant nothing will happen, but officially internationally declaring him a war criminal is unprecedented in modern history for a "free world western leader".
Couldn't listen to more than 30 seconds of that genocidal maniac putting on his best Putin impression.

ScholesyTheWise

He somewhat resembles City fans and how they talk about Uefa hating them, or the PL fabricating 115 against them.

The ICC is antisemitic because they didn't wish Happy Passover.

Giggsyking

The most moral state in the world. Where can anybody find such high standard of morality?