Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Raven

I will only focus on one aspect, although you can find many more examples. And the fact that Filkenstein is the son of Holocaust survivors...that makes it even worse.

Chomsky said that denial of gas chambers or Holocaust itself has no anti-semitic implications. And Filkenstein has nothing but praise for David Irving. David Irving. I dont think more needs to be said about those two.
Have you got a source for the comment about Finkelstein and Irving? I just googled it but the only link that I found was from the Jewish Chronicle which is just outright propaganda.

Idxomer

A terrorist organization, the same as the entity they support.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Have you got a source for the comment about Finkelstein and Irving? I just googled it but the only link that I found was from the Jewish Chronicle which is just outright propaganda.
The specific quote of Finkelstein on Irving: Irving was a very good historian.

1:29

Raven

The specific quote of Finkelstein on Irving: Irving was a very good historian.

1:29

I've only scratched the surface with Irving but according to Wikipedia (I know) he was once considered a very good historian, wasn't he? I can obviously see how praising him any time in the last 40 years could be problematic, so I can see where you guys are coming from. I don't think he was promoting Irving's views though.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I've only scratched the surface with Irving but according to Wikipedia (I know) he was once considered a very good historian, wasn't he? I can obviously see how praising him any time in the last 40 years could be problematic, so I can see where you guys are coming from. I don't think he was promoting Irving's views though.
Here is Christopher Hitchens defending Irving in 1996:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/1996/06/hitlers-ghost-christopher-hitchens

He states he is a fascist historian, but also a great historian of fascism. Because of his sympathies with Nazi Germany, Irving actually got access to surviving Nazis for his books that did not speak to other historians.

The Mare's Nest managed to find German sources and research on the V1 and V2 rocket programmes which had eluded other scholars, but Irving still went out of his way to ignore or explain away the slave labour which built the programme.

There is an academic argument that would state that Irving managed to provide new perspectives on Nazi Germany, but to be of historical use you have to selectively read and interpret his work to get around the disturbingly apologetic tone he adopts for Nazi Germany. And that's before the later more overtime Holocaust denial.

Of course, for people without academic or historical training his books can be read as pure propaganda, and if you are in Finkelstein's position as an academic, a throwaway statement praising Irving's historical nous can be very misleading, to say the least.

the_cliff

I remember back to the first hospital bombing and the controversy surrounding it with the Israeli denial. Only for them to go on and bomb 20 more hospitals without anyone batting an eyelid.

Now this. It's like they do it once, deny it in the media and continue to do it again and again without a care in the world.

Raven

Here is Christopher Hitchens defending Irving in 1996:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/1996/06/hitlers-ghost-christopher-hitchens

He states he is a fascist historian, but also a great historian of fascism. Because of his sympathies with Nazi Germany, Irving actually got access to surviving Nazis for his books that did not speak to other historians.

The Mare's Nest managed to find German sources and research on the V1 and V2 rocket programmes which had eluded other scholars, but Irving still went out of his way to ignore or explain away the slave labour which built the programme.

There is an academic argument that would state that Irving managed to provide new perspectives on Nazi Germany, but to be of historical use you have to selectively read and interpret his work to get around the disturbingly apologetic tone he adopts for Nazi Germany. And that's before the later more overtime Holocaust denial.

Of course, for people without academic or historical training his books can be read as pure propaganda, and if you are in Finkelstein's position as an academic, a throwaway statement praising Irving's historical nous can be very misleading, to say the least.
I think that perhaps Finkelstein aims too much of his stuff at academics when his audience has clearly grown beyond that. I think it's a little harsh to say he was all praise for Irving based on that clip alone (assuming this is the only clip on the matter).

Giggsyking

Thank you for sharing. Interesting seeing the same questions raised by Fisk also being raised here regarding whether Israel's surgical strikes are actually inaccurate or whether they're perfectly accurate and the mass civilian killing is deliberate. But I guess the question of their accurate capabilities doesn't matter when they're only semi-applied and half the bombs dropped on Gaza are unguided. It works as a useful get-out-of-jail excuse in that they can't say they targeted civilians deliberately, they just dropped bombs and if civilians happened to be there then, well, civilians die in all wars in densely populated areas right?
Only pathological liars will say their killing was not deliberate. The sheer evilness in their tone every time you hear an israeli official talk about what they have to do you could have imagined already at the beginning what it was going to look like, slaughter for vengance.

Giggsyking

Not really sure what this accomplishes, but it's a significant shift in rhetoric from the Democrats, and it doesn't hurt that it comes from someone Jewish, so any accusations of anti-semitism would fall flat.
Nothing, if 74% of Israelis think that too little force is being used in Gaza, then the next election will bring not only Netanyahu, but someone worse.

Fingeredmouse

I will only focus on one aspect, although you can find many more examples. And the fact that Filkenstein is the son of Holocaust survivors...that makes it even worse.

Chomsky said that denial of gas chambers or Holocaust itself has no anti-semitic implications. And Filkenstein has nothing but praise for David Irving. David Irving. I dont think more needs to be said about those two.
I assume you're referring to the Faurisson affair regarding Chomsky? It would be a profound misunderstanding of Chomsky's point, which is a broadly libertarian formal point of logic, if so.

I think you're on dangerous ground intellectually here and pretty close to the "wrong kind of Jew" type of argument.

Raven

I assume you're referring to the Faurisson affair regarding Chomsky? It would be a profound misunderstanding of Chomsky's point, which is a broadly libertarian formal point of logic, if so.

I think you're on dangerous ground intellectually here and pretty close to the "wrong kind of Jew" type of argument.
"Wrong type of jew" is exactly the argument he's making.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

There's no intellectual ground in any of his comments. That's exactly what he's doing.

It's the usual smear used against Jewish intellectuals who criticize Israel, particularly Chomsky and Finkelstein who have a Gaza sized target on their back.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I have not visited or clicked on a BBC, ITV, CNN, etc, news article since November. Been getting all my news/info (including the full debunking of Corbyn's anti Semitism claims) from Al Jazeera, TikTok, Twitter, even Linked in. Not great as Al Jaz is sponsored by the murderous Qatar government, but sooo much 'better' than the right wing channels above. That's how low the bar is now.

Good article below from Chris Hedges, I've captured an important TLDR excerpt further below:

https://therealnews.com/hasbara-oct-7-and-israels-propaganda-war

Most of the media, including The New York Times, CNN, MSNBC, and The Intercept have swallowed this propaganda and spat it back to their readers or viewers as fact. Only a handful of publications – Electronic Intifada, The Grayzone, Mondoweiss, and Al Jazeera – Have doggedly exposed the lies spread by Israel’s vast disinformation campaign, often forcing mainstream publications including The New York Times to retract or backpedal on their reporting.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09

There is much more to that. How else would you interpret his words like “jewish run media” or “jewish domination of cultural and economic life”. It is a classic example of antisemitism that Jews do not act as individuals but only as an organized group for the purpose of running the world.

Idxomer

Acute malnutrition has doubled in one month in the north of Gaza strip: UNICEF

31 per cent - or 1 in 3 children under 2 years of age – in the Northern Gaza Strip suffer from acute malnutrition, a staggering escalation from 15.6 per cent in January.

Malnutrition among children is spreading fast and reaching devastating and unprecedented levels in the Gaza Strip due to the wide-reaching impacts of the war and ongoing restrictions on aid delivery.

At least 23 children in Northern Gaza Strip have reportedly died from malnutrition and dehydration in recent weeks, adding to the mounting toll of children killed in the Strip in this current conflict – about 13,450 reported by the Palestinian Ministry of Health.
https://www.unicef.org/press-releas...has-doubled-one-month-north-gaza-strip-unicef

Fingeredmouse

There is much more to that. How else would you interpret his words like “jewish run media” or “jewish domination of cultural and economic life”. It is a classic example of antisemitism that Jews do not act as individuals but only as an organized group for the purpose of running the world.
I've not read everything Chomsky has produced - who could? - but I've read enough that I find it very hard to believe that he is antisemitic for a whole variety of reasons. Can you provide any actual quotes, in context, that support this claim?

Idxomer

The vessel carrying aid from Cyprus has docked at the new port in the Gaza Strip, located perilously close to the most dangerous security thoroughfare established by Israel, aimed at dividing the northern Gaza Strip from its southern region. Despite the presence of a much larger port along the shores of Gaza City, its location does not serve Israel's interests in besieging and starving Palestinian civilians. The Israeli concept initially proposed at the onset of the war on Gaza is now being implemented by the US under the guise of humanitarianism, exploiting the suffering and needs of Palestinians for food. This marks the inception of a project to replace the Rafah land crossing, controlling the movement of individuals entering and exiting, and serving as an alternative to the Kerem Shalom crossing for aid delivery, paving the way for an invasion of Rafah. This maneuver will serve as a potent new bargaining chip, further isolating northern Gaza, in future negotiations with Palestinian resistance. The current events represent the most significant and perilous development since the beginning of the war on the Gaza Strip, yet the enormity of the catastrophe remains largely unrecognized due to the humanitarian facade of this project.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
These false antisemitism claims is actually fueling more of it. Something serious like it shouldn't be weaponised like it has.

Giggsyking

I don't think that there's any disagreement here, as I said the same thing here recently.
You said, Israel, really thought funneling money to Hamas will give them protection. When in reality this was not Netanyahus objective, he has done it to increase rift between the Palestinians to prevent the possibility of a two state solution. The two are not connected.

Roane

These false antisemitism claims is actually fueling more of it. Something serious like it shouldn't be weaponised like it has.

I urge everyone to dissect the antisemitism reports from likes of the CST. The reports are available freely.

Now I don't claim that antisemitism doesn't exist. It absolutely does. So some of the right wing groups see Jews as more of an enemy than other "foreigners".

It's the breakdown of what is classified as antisemitism (and specifically the current rise in antisemitism that is reported currently). Anti Zionism or criticism of Israel online for it current campaign is not imho antisemitism. Neither is the "foreseeing" of antisemitism. What I mean here is schools telling the kids that it's optional to wear school blazers is precautionary and I understand that. But until someone is name called etc is it antisemitism? I would argue no.

Anyone saying "Israel is committing horrible acts" isn't the same as "All Jews are committing horrible acts". You can disagree with the first or agree. The second is antisemitism.

neverdie

It was noted, extensively, by scholars years ago that conflating criticisms of the Israeli state with antisemitism was and is dangerous. Those scholars were maligned but they were absolutely correct. There are legitimate racists who will use Israeli state actions as a trojan horse for their own agenda (many in the American congress, as it goes, who have a dangerous world-view of what should happen before other things do). But Israel is not "Judaism" and "Judaism" is not all of the Semitic.

It's a red herring this time around regardless. It will exist but that's not why the Israeli state is under scrutiny. Lack of education, which has been intentional, because propaganda from the Western nations has framed it so, is also responsible for such things as individual Jewish people being conflated with Israeli state policy. An all or nothing understanding of what is Israel, Judaism, and Semitic.