It was 8 years ago today ...

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Was such a fun game to watch! I miss these times.

RG 11

Would they be starters in our midfield at the present moment?
No better than our current midfielders. It was Fergie magic which made them work well in those games. It didn't last long from what I remember.

billybee99

No better than our current midfielders. It was Fergie magic which made them work well in those games. It didn't last long from what I remember.
Anderson would walk into our current midfield. I couldn't stand Cleverley but I actually think that a prime Cleverley would get into our current 11. Our midfield is poor.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Anderson was better than Gerrard.
For one game

SambaBoy

Madness how we could achieve such results with a starting line up like that because of the belief of the players and the system.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would they be starters in our midfield at the present moment?
Anderson is Fred with a good first touch and an ass to protect himself with.

Cleverley would be better in a 3 man midfield but he was never going to be top class.

I'd take an 18 year old Anderson to walk into our midfield.

Raw

I was at a festival when this happened with no access to the internet. I asked around what the result was and someone said 8-2, I couldn't believe them yet I was super excited to get back home and watch the goals. Good times, thought our midfield was sorted (even though we did concede quite a few shots).

Then 6-1 happened and our results went from 8-2's, 5-0's, 3-0's etc down to 1-0 grinds for like 6 games in a row.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I was at a festival when this happened with no access to the internet. I asked around what the result was and someone said 8-2, I couldn't believe them yet I was super excited to get back home and watch the goals. Good times, thought our midfield was sorted (even though we did concede quite a few shots).

Then 6-1 happened and our results went from 8-2's, 5-0's, 3-0's etc down to 1-0 grinds for like 6 games in a row.
Our response to that 6-1 was great though, we went on a run where we hardly conceded for two months from what I remember. That season was super weird overall - great start with some of the best football we played, high scoring games, then that disaster against City followed by months of solid but uninspiring play. In the meantime we got knocked out of CL from possibly the easiest group we have ever been in. We still should have won the league that season but failed to because we somehow managed to surrender a 4-2 lead against Everton in 10 final minutes and then lost to Wigan who we seemed to have always beaten prior to that. I still remember Evra hitting the post at 4-2 against Everton, he scores that and City never win the league that season and who knows what happens next. Maybe they don't reach the same heights (though I believe they'd have still got Pep and be where they are, they had been setting up for it for a while).

Raw

Our response to that 6-1 was great though, we went on a run where we hardly conceded for two months from what I remember. That season was super weird overall - great start with some of the best football we played, high scoring games, then that disaster against City followed by months of solid but uninspiring play. In the meantime we got knocked out of CL from possibly the easiest group we have ever been in. We still should have won the league that season but failed to because we somehow managed to surrender a 4-2 lead against Everton in 10 final minutes and then lost to Wigan who we seemed to have always beaten prior to that. I still remember Evra hitting the post at 4-2 against Everton, he scores that and City never win the league that season and who knows what happens next. Maybe they don't reach the same heights (though I believe they'd have still got Pep and be where they are, they had been setting up for it for a while).
Yeah wasn't knocking it, it was good management to get our defending back in order and get some much needed wins to take the taste of that defeat out of our mouths.

It's honestly frustrating looking back at the games we fecked up in but alas had we won the title, City fans would have felt the same. Losing to Wigan though when we pretty much never lost against them, my god. That game against City away where we looked horribly uninspired. That 4-4 v Everton. Losing 3-2 to Blackburn at home. Funnily enough had we just accepted the 3-1 loss against City instead of chasing for more goals and losing 6-1, we'd have only been 2 behind in GD. It was as if God was a City fan that year :(

Matt007a

Anderson was a world beater on his day. Didn't have nearly enough of those days sadly. Incredible talent!

Raw

Meanwhile the current team hasn't scored eight goals since April :drool:
And we haven't scored a hattrick since 2017. Last league hattrick was RVP winning the title for us in 2013. Only other hattrick post Fergie was Rooney v Brugge. I miss hattricks.

Baneofthegame

Anderson was a world beater on his day. Didn't have nearly enough of those days sadly. Incredible talent!
His first season he dominated Fabregas both games, he was great, he just lacked the drive and luck with injuries unfortunately.

Plus our team for the most part seems cursed when it comes to South American players.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And we haven't scored a hattrick since 2017. Last league hattrick was RVP winning the title for us in 2013. Only other hattrick post Fergie was Rooney v Brugge. I miss hattricks.
Did Zlatan score one against St. Etienne?

Andy_Cole

I wasn’t a season ticket holder back then but was at the game (didn’t go to too many back then).

I remember the lad next to me turns to me saying this was the greatest day of his life. That day was so good.

With Cleverly and Anderson in midfield too. I remember leaving that game thinking they genuinely were our Xavi and Iniesta.

Sylar

I wasn’t a season ticket holder back then but was at the game (didn’t go to too many back then).

I remember the lad next to me turns to me saying this was the greatest day of his life. That day was so good.

With Cleverly and Anderson in midfield too. I remember leaving that game thinking they genuinely were our Xavi and Iniesta.
Was at the game too. And sat near the Arsenal supporters. They were quiet until the second half, and then just sang 'oh arsenal we love you'. Remember afterwards hearing on radio how great their fans were throughout. But yeah, quite easy to just give up on the game and do that when the game is done ha. Though was funny seeing their faces and their chant being interrupted nearly every few minutes.

DDG saving RVP penalty at 1 nil was a big turning point too. And the view of Youngs first goal ,was sat in a position where you could see right behind where he struck it was going in before it even went in.

Andy_Cole

Was at the game too. And sat near the Arsenal supporters. They were quiet until the second half, and then just sang 'oh arsenal we love you'. Remember afterwards hearing on radio how great their fans were throughout. But yeah, quite easy to just give up on the game and do that when the game is done ha. Though was funny seeing their faces and their chant being interrupted nearly every few minutes.

DDG saving RVP penalty at 1 nil was a big turning point too. And the view of Youngs first goal ,was sat in a position where you could see right behind where he struck it was going in before it even went in.
Oh yeh Young. That was his greatest ever game.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Start of that season was insane. Came back from 2 down to beat City 3-2 in the Community Shield. Battered Spurs 3-0 in our first home game, then won 8-2 against Arsenal before beating Bolton 5-0 and then Chelsea 3-1. I remember we got a bit of a reality check when we were incredibly lucky to beat Norwich at OT, and only a couple of weeks later we were battered 6-1 at home to City. That season ended up being pretty shite.

Sylar

Oh yeh Young. That was his greatest ever game.
I really thought we were gonna do something special. Having beaten Spurs already too (think it was 3-0). Anderson / Cleverly looked like a good partnership (they helped turn around the game vs City at Wembley). Nani looked great too. Welbeck (until he picked up a knock). And the defenders at the back looked decent I thought with room to improve and form something with DDG.

:wenger:

And then Cleverley got done at Bolton...

Sylar

Start of that season was insane. Came back from 2 down to beat City 3-2 in the Community Shield. Battered Spurs 3-0 in our first home game, then won 8-2 against Arsenal before beating Bolton 5-0 and then Chelsea 3-1. I remember we got a bit of a reality check when we were incredibly lucky to beat Norwich at OT, and only a couple of weeks later we were battered 6-1 at home to City. That season ended up being pretty shite.
Rooney missed a penalty vs Chelsea iirc. If he scored that, he would have been one goal from a hattrick of hattricks. Which is nuts.

Matt007a

Young was a decent winger when we bought him. He has never been a full back even if we tried to make him one!

Lebowski

I was listening to Andy Mitten's great interview with Berba on the UWS podcast the other day (highly recommended to anyone who hasn't heard it by the way).

He said that the first time the 18 year old Ando met Ferguson, he shouted "how the hell are you, friend?" and proceeded to give a shocked Ferguson a massive bear hug.

Apparently he also proudly exclaimed that he would take Fabio and Rafael under his wing and teach them both English (despite the fact he could barely speak English himself) which led to him taking the piss and teaching them nonsensical phrases like "my car won't fly".

I wish it had worked out for him more on the pitch as I think he would be remembered with the same sort of fondness Evra is. The fact that Ferguson loved him and kept him round mostly for his dressing room influence despite the fact that he could barely speak a word of English really shows what an infectiously positive personality he must have been.

wolvored

Madness how we could achieve such results with a starting line up like that because of the belief of the players and the system.
Arsenals patched up defence was pretty poor on that day as well. Remember when Nani had about 5 secs in front of goal to score. We also had Young play his best ever game for us, but still a great result. The 6-1 was more impressive in 2001

Havak

Pokemon master
I always find it hilarious that this was our starting line-up that day:

de Gea
Smalling Jones Evans Evra
Nani Cleverley Anderson Young
Rooney
Welbeck​

Looking at that now, only three class players. A make-shift player at RB, probably two of our worst CM's ever in reality despite having a good season or so each. Multiple crocks and an inconsistent winger. Mad how Fergie got so much out of this squad.

Woodzy

The 8-2 win, 6-1 loss and City winning the title on goal difference were all the same year?

Bloody hell, everything before Moyes seems to just merge into one now.