It was only a matter of time before our incessant adherence to playing it out of the back bit us in the ass

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think the pictures may make Maguires position look worse, can’t quite remember, I agree with you if he passed and then run towards Fred but surely he passed and then pulled wider like lindelof did, the second picture just shows him trying to get back into position after Fred’s awful touch and run to own goal. Look how free wan bissaka is there, Harry probably seen that and thought it was a simple pass from Fred, the only criti
Yep - movement off the ball is a big area we need to improve on. From the above, I hadn't realised from the angles we got on the day and just blamed Fred but Maguire has been a bit Sunday League there by actively moving forwards with the ball and making the space smaller for Fred (look at where he is in both pictures + how close Fred has come in as well). The knock on of that, which isn't his fault really but is caused by him moving forwards too far, is he then also can't defend from the bad pass from Fred as he's too high.

tomaldinho1

I think the pictures may make Maguires position look worse, can’t quite remember, I agree with you if he passed and then run towards Fred but surely he passed and then pulled wider like lindelof did, the second picture just shows him trying to get back into position after Fred’s awful touch and run to own goal. Look how free wan bissaka is there, Harry probably seen that and thought it was a simple pass from Fred, the only criti
Yh potentially although Fred is so close in the end there's not much time so I assume Maguire's about where he was when he passed it. Another obstacle with Fred on that side is that he can't go to AWB that easily as he's very left footed (and Leicester pressed him all game for errors which seemed to rattle him) which is another issue when he's the one we play the ball to for the initial press. Matic/Fred basically can't use their right foot, from memory I think Fred is usually on the other side when McT plays which helps in playing out form the back (Fred - McT).

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yh potentially although Fred is so close in the end there's not much time so I assume Maguire's about where he was when he passed it. Another obstacle with Fred on that side is that he can't go to AWB that easily as he's very left footed (and Leicester pressed him all game for errors which seemed to rattle him) which is another issue when he's the one we play the ball to for the initial press. Matic/Fred basically can't use their right foot, from memory I think Fred is usually on the other side when McT plays which helps in playing out form the back (Fred - McT).
Good point about him not being comfortable with his right, I totally overlooked that and it explains a lot. I thought Maguire was obviously shouting to Fred what to do with the ball after just passing it to him (you’d hope so anyways) and I assumed AWB was the obvious ball. Looking at the pic again the ball to telles is more closed off so it’s well worked by Leicester and like you say the constant pressing him got him all fumbled and he didn’t believe in his right foot pass to AWB.

Zen86

Two years ago, we apparently did. This constant playing out of the back is a very recent phenomenon for many teams. Please don’t act like punting is a relic of a bygone era. Square pegs don’t fit into round holes, no matter how hard one tries to force them. We paid the price this past match due to our insistence on one ‘pattern of play.’ It just seems commonsensical to have more unpredictability in our build up.
Punting is not a relic of a bygone era, that is quite clearly not what I said. In fact quite the opposite. And for all your talk of square pegs in round holes.. do you really think hoofing the ball up to Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, and Bruno is playing to our strengths? Do you really think they are going to be putting up much of a fight in the air?

We're not great at playing out from the back, but I can bet you playing hoofball would be much worse.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Punting is not a relic of a bygone era, that is quite clearly not what I said. In fact quite the opposite. And for all your talk of square pegs in round holes.. do you really think hoofing the ball up to Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, and Bruno is playing to our strengths? Do you really think they are going to be putting up much of a fight in the air?

We're not great at playing out from the back, but I can bet you playing hoofball would be much worse.
You seem to be talking about this in absolutes. And you seem to be a bit prickly about it for some reason. I’m not saying go totally back to what we did, reread my posts. I’m saying that we are far too predictable in our current buildup & it cost us dearly in the previous match. A little unpredictability would be beneficial to our overall play.

How else should one posit one’s thoughts without using a word like ‘should?’ Your pedantry is showing a tad here. No reason to get so sandy vag, no one is attacking your obvious footballing acumen. Don’t take it so personally. It’s just the internets, after all.

Zen86

You seem to be talking about this in absolutes. And you seem to be a bit prickly about it for some reason. I’m not saying go totally back to what we did, reread my posts. I’m saying that we are far too predictable in our current buildup & it cost us dearly in the previous match. A little unpredictability would be beneficial to our overall play.

How else should one posit one’s thoughts without using a word like ‘should?’ Your pedantry is showing a tad here. No reason to get so sandy vag, no one is attacking your obvious footballing acumen. Don’t take it so personally. It’s just the internets, after all.
Somebody questions your post and you start calling out "sandy vag" to others. The irony :rolleyes:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Somebody questions your post and you start calling out "sandy vag" to others. The irony :rolleyes:
Yawn. It’s tone, sport. It’s usage of words, it’s pedantry. My god, calm down. We’re discussing differences of opinion of footballing.

bsCallout

As long as our CMs are made up of any two of Matic/Fred/McT we will never be good at it.

Just curious where you want them to run? The two full backs are holding their position out wide unmarked, the centrebacks split ok with enough space between them and matic waiting behind Fred for a ball possible back from a fullback.

it was also set up ok and Fred needed a quick touch and play it wide or wide first time, then the game opens up. He actually had a shit touch and run back towards goal and then granny passed to Henderson, I can’t see where you want the players to move to, or do you mean close down and fill the box once Fred loses it?
There a few different movements you could expect there.

AWB to go higher and Lindelof to get wider.
Telles not to stand with his hands on his knees.
Matic could move wide to pull one or two of the Leicester players away from Fred, or he could move central to open up more spaces for Telles.
Fred could go wide to open up a passing lane to DVB higher up in the middle.

Once the pass is going to Fred it's criminal that Telles isn't running inside to try and give him an out.

Zen86

Yawn. It’s tone, sport. It’s usage of words, it’s pedantry. My god, calm down. We’re discussing differences of opinion of footballing.
Not really. I questioned your post and you've been superimposing a bunch of emotions onto me since. One could say thou has a spot of sand in thy vag.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
There a few different movements you could expect there.

AWB to go higher and Lindelof to get wider.
Telles not to stand with his hands on his knees.
Matic could move wide to pull one or two of the Leicester players away from Fred, or he could move central to open up more spaces for Telles.
Fred could go wide to open up a passing lane to DVB higher up in the middle.

Once the pass is going to Fred it's criminal that Telles isn't running inside to try and give him an out.
I don’t know, they all sound great in hindsight but at that very time I think lindelof and AWB were well positioned and both in plenty of space to receive the ball, AWB could possible be a few yards further forward. Telles does well to keep his width and maybe could have dropped deeper to receive the pass IF he anticipated Fred having such a poor touch.

end of the day I think they’re al wel positioned untill Fred doesn’t play the ball wide to AWB, they didn’t react quick enough maybe but the pass and pounce and goal happened within seconds. The ball was already lost. As I discussed with another poster I think the main issue was Fred not trusting his right foot to play the ball to AWB, not necessarily bad positioning

I don’t know, they all sound great in hindsight but at that very time I think lindelof and AWB were well positioned and both in plenty of space to receive the ball, AWB could possible be a few yards further forward. Telles does well to keep his width and maybe could have dropped deeper to receive the pass IF he anticipated Fred having such a poor touch.

end of the day I think they’re al wel positioned untill Fred doesn’t play the ball wide to AWB, they didn’t react quick enough maybe but the pass and pounce and goal happened within seconds. The ball was already lost. As I discussed with another poster I think the main issue was Fred not trusting his right foot to play the ball to AWB, not necessarily bad positioning
To be fair, i agree to some extent. None of them were in bad positions even if they could have displayed a bit more interest in receiving the ball.

I look at the images and the goal and i keep coming to the same thing; why the feck did Maguire think it was the right decision to pass to Fred, the player most closely marked of all of them, and why did he take a massive touch towards him before passing it, so every Leicester player on the pitch knew exactly what he was about to do. Even if Fred had controlled it perfectly, he was under massive pressure before the ball even reached him.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
To be fair, i agree to some extent. None of them were in bad positions even if they could have displayed a bit more interest in receiving the ball.

I look at the images and the goal and i keep coming to the same thing; why the feck did Maguire think it was the right decision to pass to Fred, the player most closely marked of all of them, and why did he take a massive touch towards him before passing it, so every Leicester player on the pitch knew exactly what he was about to do. Even if Fred had controlled it perfectly, he was under massive pressure before the ball even reached him.
It was an iffy pass by Maguire I agree but he must trust his team mates ability especially playing that role to be able to gather ball and pass it out wide or even back to keeper with some precision, he must have forgot Fred can’t use his right, ha.

I can’t remember the move forward by Maguire now I’m purely going from those two pictures but that doesn’t sound good. It was just a bumbling mess moment by Fred imo. Just one of those things where his head went a bit after the shitty touch and being under pressure. If Maguire closed down his space he’s partially to blame but I can’t see that from the pictures, I may watch it again

Eli Zee

Simply put, I agree. Sometimes the best option is to just kick it far away

It was an iffy pass by Maguire I agree but he must trust his team mates ability especially playing that role to be able to gather ball and pass it out wide or even back to keeper with some precision, he must have forgot Fred can’t use his right, ha.

I can’t remember the move forward by Maguire now I’m purely going from those two pictures but that doesn’t sound good. It was just a bumbling mess moment by Fred imo. Just one of those things where his head went a bit after the shitty touch and being under pressure. If Maguire closed down his space he’s partially to blame but I can’t see that from the pictures, I may watch it again
Maguire played it in to his left side (correctly so), so the right foot pass to AWB wasn't really possible even for a right footer. At the point Fred receives the ball he really doesn't have many options. The pass to Henderson is the only realistic one but it needed to be a powerful pass in close to and facing to his own goal. Not a great option to be left with.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Maguire played it in to his left side (correctly so), so the right foot pass to AWB wasn't really possible even for a right footer. At the point Fred receives the ball he really doesn't have many options. The pass to Henderson is the only realistic one but it needed to be a powerful pass in close to and facing to his own goal. Not a great option to be left with.
Ok I agree with all that, like I said I can’t remember every detail too accurately and just debated those pictures and movement.

I should watch the replay before debating further really, from the pictures it makes the pass to AWB look such an obvious play

Godfather

What I mean is how many challenges do you think our forwards will win? If it’s 0 or 1 out of ten then then the other forwards will stop making the runs behind because they know it’s pointless, defenders will click on and just hover in front of the ball making protecting the second ball so much easier, you can’t continually kick it long when you have almost zero chance of winning every aerial ball, martial could win a few I suppose if he could be arsed to move for them.
Not sure I can follow you. Anyway I'm not saying we should never do it. But we should sure as hell do it less in very dangerous situations. We aren't comfortable enough to do it constantly. If that's another coaching issue or because of the players at our disposal I don't know.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not sure I can follow you. Anyway I'm not saying we should never do it. But we should sure as hell do it less in very dangerous situations. We aren't comfortable enough to do it constantly. If that's another coaching issue or because of the players at our disposal I don't know.
I agree if in doubt kick it long instead of fecking about and agree we do bring pressure on ourselves but when we do escape that pressure it opens the field up and I think that’s the whole point of it isn’t it, Saturday was a one off directly conceding from it, there’s bound to be mistakes here and there while trying it

Longshanks

It is a very deliberate ploy to play out from the back and actively encourage the press, it's also a very deliberate ploy to play a ball into a player being actively pressed with said player coming back towards goal to encourage the pressing to players to come up close to our goal to generate the space inbetween the midfield and defence to play into. Unfortunately Fred's pass back to henderson was criminally underhit, if it hadn't been Henderson would of been lifting the ball over the press into the space and we would of been away to build an attack or possibly working the ball out wide to one of the fullbacks who then drives into the space that the pressing players have vacated. It's one of those much talked about patterns of play that has been coached into is under Ole, it's far more noticable when Henderson is in goal.

Playing out from the back is the way to play against pressing teams, they want you to go long and play percentages or put the ball out the last thing they want is you to work your way out of the press and build an attack against the high defensive line. It's high risk high reward and that is the way we should be playing our football and also the reason we largely do well against high press sides.

peridigm

How often do managers rest their best players before an international break?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Something impossible to quantify is the number of goals we have avoided conceding because rather than putting it out for a throw in or launching it upfield and instantly having to defend again we manage to play ourselves out of trouble and retain possession. Then you factor in the goals that we have scored from a counter attack after passing it out from the back and I expect we are seeing a net benefit to employing the tactic.