Italian Serie A 2018-19

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
yes that would replicate Real setup, but would penalize Costa who has been outstanding this season especially in the second part and that would be a shame. I would rather prefer a 4231 with dybala costa and Mandzukic behind Ronaldo but that is probably too unbalanced
Well, you played with Costa, Mandzukic, Dybala behind Higuain so why not?

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Well, you played with Costa, Mandzukic, Dybala behind Higuain so why not?
because Higuain supports the defensive phase way more than Ronaldo does and Mandzukic is starting to feel the effort of that very tiring role as some sort of added external midfielder that was key to guarantee the balance of that formation in 2017 when we reached the final. Last season it did not work as well so we moved to a 433, hence my doubts

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
because Higuain supports the defensive phase way more than Ronaldo does and Mandzukic is starting to feel the effort of that very tiring role as some sort of added external midfielder that was key to guarantee the balance of that formation in 2017 when we reached the final. Last season it did not work as well so we moved to a 433, hence my doubts
Fair point. Think Allegri is gonna try a diamond line-up first, with Dybala behind Ronaldo and Mandzukic.

enigmista

Supports
Juventus
It is gonna be this

Scexhskhxbni
Cancelo Benatia Chiellini Sandro
Khedira Can Pjanic
Dybala ****** Costa

*waiting for it to be official

The only doubts are on Sandro, but signs in Turin are that he will at the end renew his contract.

A new midfilder may come in, but only if we can get a top level, with Rabiot as the lower bound.

Higuin, Rugani and probably Pjaca are leaving.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Fair point. Think Allegri is gonna try a diamond line-up first, with Dybala behind Ronaldo and Mandzukic.
yes me too, but I hope he finds a solution that includes Costa, anyway Allegri is quite flexible so for sure he will try several options

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
It is gonna be this

Scexhskhxbni
Cancelo Benatia Chiellini Sandro
Khedira Can Pjanic
Dybala ****** Costa

*waiting for it to be official

The only doubts are on Sandro, but signs in Turin are that he will at the end renew his contract.

A new midfilder may come in, but only if we can get a top level, with Rabiot as the lower bound.

Higuin, Rugani and probably Pjaca are leaving.
selling Rugani would be very silly

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
If Cristiano joins Juventus then next season they'll play 4-4-2 imho:

....................Szczesny

Cancelo - Benatia - Chiellini - Sandro

D.Costa - Pjanic - Emre Can - Matuidi/Mandzukic

CR7 - Dybala

A better version to the starting XI they played at Wembley

In: Perin, J. Cancelo, Emre Can, Caldara, Ronaldo
Out: Buffon, Lichsteiner, Sturaro, Rugani, Higuain

And it would be an amazing mercato

Last edited:

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
It is in terms of prestige.

I can‘t see Juve not winning 10 in a row. That is bad for the league. The league needs world class players going to clubs other than Juventus
Once FFP plague will end for Inter (possibly 2019), Suning is the only hope to stop their dominance in Italy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Need oil money at the Milan clubs. These last 6 seasons have felt sort of unreal, like a bizarro transition period that was bound to end soon with the resurgence of the milan clubs and the re-establishment of the big 3. But now it's downing on me that this is a new world order. I fear nobody will be able to truly compete with juventus anymore, for the rest of my life.

Signing Cristiano makes little difference as far as Juventus stranglehold on the league is concerned btw. It's great for the league and italian football all around. If juve win the CL even more, particularly if there's a club or two who look like they could give them a title race

Fecking FFP only exist for italian clubs apparently

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Antonio Cassano might be coming back to the Serie A, by signing for Parma :lol:
Released by Parma in 14/15 due to financial reasons, joined Sampdoria, got left out of the squad for most of 16/17, joined Verona, left Verona 8 days after signing for them last year, hasn't played at all for almost two years now, and now is close to re-signing for Parma. Can't make this stuff up.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Oh God no, the Serie A thread's going to be full of Ronnie fanbois for the next season or so.

Is nowhere sacred on the Caf'? :eek:
Oh, God - you're right. I mainly try to avoid the La Liga thread as it's consumed by Madrid/Ronaldo/Barca/Messi talk. At least Messi isn't following him here!

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
With Brozovic and Perisic Inter will have a player involved in every World Cup final since 1982 (just like Bayern)

1982 - Italy (Altobelli,Bergomi,Marini,Oriali,Bordon)
1986 - Germany (Rummenigge)
1990 - Germany (Matthaus,Klinsmann,Brehme)
1994 - Italy (Berti)
1998 - France and Brazil (Djorkaeff,Ronaldo)
2002 - Brazil (Ronaldo)
2006 - Italy (Materazzi)
2010 - Holland (Sneijder)
2014 - Argentina (Palacio,Campagnaro,Alvarez)
2018 - Croatia (Brozovic,Perisic).

Aboutreika18

Antonio Cassano might be coming back to the Serie A, by signing for Parma :lol:
Released by Parma in 14/15 due to financial reasons, joined Sampdoria, got left out of the squad for most of 16/17, joined Verona, left Verona 8 days after signing for them last year, hasn't played at all for almost two years now, and now is close to re-signing for Parma. Can't make this stuff up.
:lol: No joke, I love Cassano, the crazy bastard.

Inter Yer Nan

Reading about Juventus and it's crazy to think how such a big club plays in such a relatively small stadium and even before the new stadium they had poor attendance despite being a huge club and the countries most popular.

No doubt they'll be full most games next season but can anyone shed some light onto this?

Nedved

Reading about Juventus and it's crazy to think how such a big club plays in such a relatively small stadium and even before the new stadium they had poor attendance despite being a huge club and the countries most popular.

No doubt they'll be full most games next season but can anyone shed some light onto this?
It’s a combination of factors. Nowadays the stadium is almost always full (39 000 average) but attendance is relatively low in Italy (with some exceptions like Inter, Milan and Napoli) for various reasons:
- recession and the economy of the average Italian
- culture, i.e. on what do you prefer to spend time and money on? Especially when you can watch the games on TV with your family
- mostly poor stadium infrastructure (the old Delle Alpi was horrible)
- lower footballing quality than the league should have: a lack of huge stars and several tiny teams in the bottom who cannot compete financially (which has a certain charm, though)

Valerio

Supports
Juventus
their mistake was that they decided on the size looking at the past 10years at Delle Alpi.

Where the attendance was between 35-40.000 so they said better stick to that number and always fill it.

Thinking about it after a year or so they realized how big of a mistake they made but they coudn't solve it.

Those who drew the project said it's impossible to add a third ring as it would easier to make a redo from scratch rather than that.

So I guess they'll wait for some year before even thinking about making it larger.

The perfect size looking at things now would be 55.000 neither too smal nor too big

Also Attendance is 39.000 becuase 2000 sposts are reserved for guest fans.
Most of the times the guest zone is always empty and that fill up the data making it look like you can't even fill such a little stadium.

While Juventus zone is always full and if we could we'd fill the away/guest zone as well.

Anyway such a strategic mistake... but hey they thought: "wow this is the attendance when we had one of the best team in Europe... imagine today with our scrapyard team (2010-2011)"

Without thinking of the possibilities... and so now they increasing the price every year to make it up for this mistake

Last edited by a moderator:

Inter Yer Nan

It’s a combination of factors. Nowadays the stadium is almost always full (39 000 average) but attendance is relatively low in Italy (with some exceptions like Inter, Milan and Napoli) for various reasons:
- recession and the economy of the average Italian
- culture, i.e. on what do you prefer to spend time and money on? Especially when you can watch the games on TV with your family
- mostly poor stadium infrastructure (the old Delle Alpi was horrible)
- lower footballing quality than the league should have: a lack of huge stars and several tiny teams in the bottom who cannot compete financially (which has a certain charm, though)
Yeah, kind of different from the English fans. I remember being in Barcelona back in 2000 (the day Rivaldo was presented with Balon D'Or) and tickets were as low as 4 euros and I think highest was around 30 euros and there was probably around 20k empty seats. That was despite being reigning champions, in a close title race and having Figo, Kluivert, Rivaldo, Luis Enrique etc; Funnily enough I sat next to a few guys from Genoa who were big Sampdoria fans and loved Souness.

Different cultures for sure. Always used to be weird seeing these great teams with big histories and top players but fairly quiet atmospheres and tons of empty seats.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Anyway such a strategic mistake... but hey they thought: "wow this is the attendance when we had one of the best team in Europe... imagine today with our scrapyard team (2010-2011)"
This is wrong. The project for the stadium was made before calciopoli and construction began in 2006, before calciopoli.

Everything else is spot on

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I see BT Sports lost the rights to Eleven Sports who are yet to reveal their UK service plans...

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Conte sacked means that Sarri is bringing Rugani and Higuain at Chelsea.

Last edited:

enigmista

Supports
Juventus
This is wrong. The project for the stadium was made before calciopoli and construction began in 2006, before calciopoli.

Everything else is spot on
No, construction began in 2009.

The plans be the old triade however were for an even smaller stadium.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No, construction began in 2009.

The plans be the old triade however were for an even smaller stadium.
Construction, as in, buying the land, the engineering for the stadium, the demolition of delle alpi etc, began before calciopoli. A construction work like this can't be significantly altered after it's green lit except for special reasons, like safety concerns or such. The project was planned and green lit when juventus were one of the 5 richest clubs in the world, with one of the best teams. Juventus being crap in 2009 had nothing to do with the size of the stadium

Valerio

Supports
Juventus
giorno what I'm saying is that they took the avg attendance from 1990 to 2000 something.
It was between 35.000 and 40.000 so they decided for 40.000 then extending to 41500.
They prolly thought that even with an oustanding team the average attendance was around that number what was the point of making a 55k or 60k stadium?
But anyway I was reading a bit and a source says it's not expandable beside few hundred seats and others claim that when they drew the project they planned a way to make it bigger if needed in the future (which would be something smart that I doubt they did)
Anyway I don't think they will do anything about it in the short term

Tony Clifton

With Brozovic and Perisic Inter will have a player involved in every World Cup final since 1982 (just like Bayern)

1982 - Italy (Altobelli,Bergomi,Marini,Oriali,Bordon)
1986 - Germany (Rummenigge)
1990 - Germany (Matthaus,Klinsmann,Brehme)
1994 - Italy (Berti)
1998 - France and Brazil (Djorkaeff,Ronaldo)
2002 - Brazil (Ronaldo)
2006 - Italy (Materazzi)
2010 - Holland (Sneijder)
2014 - Argentina (Palacio,Campagnaro,Alvarez)
2018 - Croatia (Brozovic,Perisic).
Someone listened to the Totally Football Show podcast the other day. I couldn't remember all of the Inter players, and now I don't have to look them up. Thanks!

Oh, God - you're right. I mainly try to avoid the La Liga thread as it's consumed by Madrid/Ronaldo/Barca/Messi talk. At least Messi isn't following him here!
Give it some time.

I've always believed that when Messi leaves Barcelona, his return to Argentina will be preceded by one final European spell to wind down his career, and that it will be in Italy.

No matter what has been said previously, things can change. He's basically Italian anyway, which is a good start already. Yes, I know he's not Italian, but… he is.

Of course, some obvious factors will most likely be of importance. Champions League qualification could perhaps be one, for example. The clubs worth discussing one way or the other:
  • Roma or Inter: always thought them as more suitable destinations than Juventus.
  • AC Milan: a long shot considering what is and has been going on at the club in recent times.
  • Napoli: a definite no, for obvious reasons. The clearest of them being the legacy of Maradona, or should I say God, which is not an entirely inaccurate description of Maradona in the city of Naples. Even if it would be possible financially, which it probably won't be either, this will never ever happen as it goes beyond football.
  • Juventus: like mentioned, I've never seen them as a candidate, even before Ronnie's transfer.
  • Fiorentina: improbable, but maybe if viewed at from a romantic angle. The city of Florence and its footballing history with a certain other Argentinian great, Batistuta—though that could actually be a hindrance too, similar to Maradona's stature in Naples, albeit to a much lesser extent.
  • Lazio or Sampdoria: not out of the question entirely, but I don't think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: van der star