Its been 12 long years and we still haven't adapted to the modern game

Lee565

Ever since that humbling experience in the champions league final in 2009 against barca when they ran ring around us we have never adapted to the modern game of being able to combat being intensely pressed high up the pitch by well techincally coached sides.

Are we ever going to get a decent manager that is suited to the modern evolution of football?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
How did we win the league in the following years then. Get out of here with stupid analysis.

Lee565

How did we win the league in the following years then. Get out of here with stupid analysis.
Because the premier league was fergie's bread and butter and to be fair he did seem to be trying to evolve the team to cope with the evolution of the modern game but left the club before hand to finish the rebuild of the squad

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He’s absolutely right. I think because of the success under Fergie we as a fan base have always underestimated the process of changing tactics because we were fail proof. Since he’s left we are the only team not to adapt to the more modern approach and it shows. Every single game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Been saying this for ages. We have resisted/avoided the modernisation of our football for far too long.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
We can't adapt to modern football because as a club we are run "The united way".

Or some rubbish like that

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Said it on another thread, we are basically playing today against city like Mourinho in his first season played against city. You could easily replace Ole with Mourinho today and you wouldnt notice the difference. Terrible really.

We need ten hag and we need him badly.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
None of SAF, Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Ole are Modern Manager's.

Hopefully our next is.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I know people hated his reign but I really felt like Van Gaal was building something that we could’ve capitalized on — not under Van Gaal himself, mind you, but if we were to appoint a good possession-based manager after him.

Seeing as we have not, it’s hard to argue with the premise of this thread. And I doubt that we’ll sign someone like Ten Hag after Ole :(

Yagami

Good post resistant
Should've learned after that, yes. However, I'd argue that the humbling Bilbao gave us in 2012 (after dropping down to the Europa) was what really should've opened our eyes; more so than either defeat to Barcelona. That same season City humbled us home and away, too.

Instead, we went for an instant fix in van Persie who, don't get me wrong, was a GREAT signing, but he should've been in addition to overhauling our coaching. Instead, he papered over it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I know people hated his reign but I really felt like Van Gaal was building something that we could’ve capitalized on — not under Van Gaal himself, mind you, but if we were to appoint a good possession-based manager after him.

Seeing as we have not, it’s hard to argue with the premise of this thread. And I doubt that we’ll sign someone like Ten Hag after Ole :(
I agree. Lvg was the right idea - a manager with clear philosophy- it's just a pale shadow of his best self and hence a failure at United. We sort-of needed a modern iteration of him and not a manager from the 90s. A better modern teacher coach who would bring in today's tactics was the need. But we need a WINNER and then someone who GETS THE CLUB.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Van Gaal with this set of players might have been interesting.
You'd have a still quality Ronaldo, for the striker who is there simply to score, and a range of quality all round the pitch.
Probably super dull football still though, but the one manager since Fergie who seemed to have a real idea on tactics and coaching.

Classical Mechanic

Guardiola’s Barca team really ushered in the new era. It didn’t change all at once. Other clubs have adapted since as more and more coaches found success with a style influenced in part by Guardiola.

Yagami

Good post resistant

I said it at the time, too. Pochettino was the perfect next step to make taking into account Pep was unobtainable. He would've modernised what van Gaal was trying to implement, but we threw his work out the window and started from scratch again. Just like we'll have to do after Ole.

Theonas

Scout
Take a look at the league back then. City and Chelsea were winning it despite being abysmal in the CL. The PL were slower to catch up to the new coaching trends in Europe but eventually, City, Chelsea and Liverpool caught up whereas we stagnated and could not implement a sustainable plan. People should really stop using the league as some sort of barometer for quality. Leicester won the league and Spurs came second for goodness sake. The only barometer for quality is playing well, being consistently competitive AND winning trophies. Admittedly the first two come hand in hand with the third but not always. Our performances post Ronaldo are a prime example of this.

JPB

Van Gaal tried. It was you lot on here moaning when we tried to do it. He should never have gotten sacked after winning the fa cup.