It's funny how Barcelona 2008/2009 and 2010/2011 were better than Barcelona 2014/2015, yet 2014/2015 had the most non-controversial UCL title win

matbezlima

It's funny how the Barcelona teams from the 2008/2009 and 2010/2011 seasons, specially the latter, were probably better collectively than the Barcelona 2014/2015, yet Barcelona 2014/2015 had the most consistent, confident and controversy free UCL KO run in their title in both results and great football. 2009 has the Stamford Bridge game and 2011 has Van Persie's red card, though I would like to say that Barcelona was far superior in the second leg despite not playing at their best (Arsenal didn't shoot once and were back into the tie only due a Busquets blunder own goal) and they were brilliant in the first leg despite the loss and had a goal wrongly ruled out as offside in that first leg too. As terrible as Van Persie's red was, Barcelona's superiority in was still very clear, unlike the games against Chelsea in which Barcelona could never really impose themselves, specially at Stamford Bridge.

About Barcelona's 2015 UCL KO run, they were truly great against City and PSG, winning both at home and away (and their 1-0 victory against City at the Camp Nou was the most misleading Cheia 1-0 that you will ever see, Barcelona really played fantastic football and were denied by Hart in a day of prime Buffon. Messi didn't score, but had one of his best performances, pure class in almost every touch of the ball and near perfection. Barcelona's most equal games were against Bayern and even then Barcelona was slightly superior and Bayern didn't shoot on target once in the first leg, though we need to acknowledge that Bayern was missing Robben and Ribéry.

The only controversy that I can remember from 2015 is a penalty not given in the final that eventually led to a Barcelona goal in a counter-attack, but the referee was clearly with his back turned when the penalty, so it was an honest mistake and otherwise he never showed a bias for Barcelona in the final, correctly nullifying a Neymar goal due to a very slight handball and being merciful to Vidal from Juventus, I don't know how Vidal was not sent off in that game. Overall, not a truly great Barcelona performance, unlike 2011, but still a dominant and assured win for the vast majority of the game. It's also funny how Barcelona 2014/2015 was uninspiring in 2014 and truly great in 2015.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Barcelona 2009 was not better than Barcelona 2015.

I don't know how or why it has happened, but Barcelona 2015 has become underrated with time. When people discuss the best teams of the decade, the discussion usually evolves around Barcelona 2011, Bayern 2013 and Real Madrid 2017. I rate Barcelona 2015 as more than a match for any of these teams.

Barcelona 2015 played some of the most devastating and effective attacking football I have ever seen.

When MSN were at their peak, they were an unstoppable force of nature.

matbezlima

I don't know how or why it has happened, but Barcelona 2015 has become underrated with time. When people discuss the best teams of the decade, the discussion usually evolves around Barcelona 2011, Bayern 2013 and Real Madrid 2017. I rate Barcelona 2015 as more than a match for any of these teams.

Barcelona 2015 played some of the most devastating and effective attacking football I have ever seen.

I actually agree with your post. Good post too. Barcelona 2008/2009 and 2014/2015 are aproximately equal in my book, but this could not fit in the title of this thread. It's Barcelona 2010/2011 that I truly consider signficantly superior without doubt. I explain why in the link below.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/bar...than-2008-2009-when-i-watch-both-play.454530/

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
How Barcelona 2008/2009 and 2010/2011 were better than Barcelona 2014/2015, yet 2014/2015 had the most non-controversial UCL title win.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That 2014/15 side won the treble, no? Can't diss a treble-winning team.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
I think they were all great :drool:, and such handsome players as well. Except Suarez.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Because of the 'crisis' after the defeat to Moyes's Real Sociedad at Anoeta just after New Year's day, with Enrique clearly not seeing eye to eye with Messi, constantly chopping and changing tactics before settling on playing Messi on the right and Suarez in the centre, and on the verge of getting sacked, I hadn't realised just how strong Barcelona's 2014/2015 record was throughout the season. They won 50 matches out of 60 in all competitions which was pretty special.

Also you can't really argue with the standard of their competition. In the CL knockout stages they beat the reigning Premier League champions Man City home and away (the game at the Camp Nou was arguably the most dominant 1-0 win I've ever seen if that makes sense), PSG who went on to win their 3rd consecutive Ligue 1 title home and away, Bayern who had won their 3rd consecutive Bundesliga title, and Juventus who had won their 4th consecutive Serie A title and were also looking to win the treble.

In the Copa Del Rey, they won 9 matches out of 9 including beating Atletico Madrid home and away in the quarters, Villarreal home and away in the semis and Athletic Bilbao in the final.

In La Liga 2nd placed Real Madrid finished with 92 points, responded with 9 wins and 1 draw from their final 10 matches after Barcelona won the crucial Clasico at the Camp Nou in March, won 22 consecutive matches in all competitions from mid-September until January, and Ronaldo had his best ever goal-scoring season with 48 goals in La Liga and 61 in all competitions.

Pedro was a wonderful option to have on the bench, and Busquets was excellent and naturally through age and development was a better player than he was during the Guardiola era.

matbezlima

Because of the 'crisis' after the defeat to Moyes's Real Sociedad at Anoeta just after New Year's day, with Enrique clearly not seeing eye to eye with Messi, constantly chopping and changing tactics before settling on playing Messi on the right and Suarez in the centre, and on the verge of getting sacked, I hadn't realised just how strong Barcelona's 2014/2015 record was throughout the season. They won 50 matches out of 60 in all competitions which was pretty special.

Also you can't really argue with the standard of their competition. In the CL knockout stages they beat the reigning Premier League champions Man City home and away (the game at the Camp Nou was arguably the most dominant 1-0 win I've ever seen if that makes sense), PSG who went on to win their 3rd consecutive Ligue 1 title home and away, Bayern who had won their 3rd consecutive Bundesliga title, and Juventus who had won their 4th consecutive Serie A title and were also looking to win the treble.

In the Copa Del Rey, they won 9 matches out of 9 including beating Atletico Madrid home and away in the quarters, Villarreal home and away in the semis and Athletic Bilbao in the final.

In La Liga 2nd placed Real Madrid finished with 92 points, responded with 9 wins and 1 draw from their final 10 matches after Barcelona won the crucial Clasico at the Camp Nou in March, won 22 consecutive matches in all competitions from mid-September until January, and Ronaldo had his best ever goal-scoring season with 48 goals in La Liga and 61 in all competitions.

Pedro was a wonderful option to have on the bench, and Busquets was excellent and naturally through age and development was a better player than he was during the Guardiola era.

Great comment! Perfect!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
2010/11 Barcelona is the greatest football team in history.

Revan

Assumptionman

I think it is more because of Barcelona 2015 was a very conventional team. They didn't dominate teams as their previous incarnations, instead they just had an immense attack (arguably the best ever) and were able to score for fun. Barcelona 2009 and 2011 (and you can put 2010 and 2012 there too) instead were draining the life of the other teams, making the other teams looking like a bunch of clowns if they decided to play football (United in both cases, Arsenal, Madrid etc). The only way to compete with them was by either counter-attacking (Chelsea 2009) or totally catenaccio (Inter in 2010 or Chelsea in 2012). Try to attack against them, and it was like watching professional players in a warm-up match against amateurs.

Barcelona 2015 were awesome and easiest the best to watch, but they looked so more mortal and teams were actually able to do relatively well against them even when deciding to attack (Juve could have easily won the final if the referee would have awarded a penalty on Pogba just before Barca scored for 2-1).

Barca 2011, in particular, has to be the greatest team of all time. I don't think that any team ever would have looked professional-quality playing against them. Any team would have forced to defend for their lives and get 30-35% ball possession at most.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

You think so? To me the team that had prime Xavi makes the difference to the one that had Rakitic in midfield. However the attacks & defense are probably slightly better in 2015.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
You think so? To me the team that had prime Xavi makes the difference to the one that had Rakitic in midfield. However the attacks & defense are probably slightly better in 2015.
MATS > Valdes
Mascherano < Puyol
Jordi Alba < Abidal
Rakitic < Xavi
Neymar > Henry (Thierry was past his prime by 2009)
Suarez > Eto'o
(Alves, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta and Messi played on both teams)

Anyway, I feel that the 2015 team played better football than the 2009 team. They were harder to stop going forward, the attacks were faster and more unpredictable.

Barcelona 2015 beat the English champions in the Ro16, the French champions in the QF, the German champions in the SF, and the Italian champions in the final. This is not only the best UCL campaign from any Barcelona team, but I would argue that this was the best UCL campaign from any team ever.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
MATS > Valdes
Mascherano < Puyol
Jordi Alba < Abidal
Rakitic < Xavi
Neymar > Henry (Thierry was past his prime by 2009)
Suarez > Eto'o
(Alves, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta and Messi played on both teams)

Anyway, I feel that the 2015 team played better football than the 2009 team. They were harder to stop going forward, the attacks were faster and more unpredictable.

Barcelona 2015 beat the English champions in the Ro16, the French champions in the QF, the German champions in the SF, and the Italian champions in the final. This is not only the best UCL campaign from any Barcelona team, but I would argue that this was the best UCL campaign from any team ever.
There is now way Suarez 14/15 is better than Eto'o 08/09. Eto'o scored 30+ goals in that season with 30 league goals while Suarez scored 25 exact goals with only 16 league goals.

And Xavi is basically the difference & the reason why 2009 is probably better than 2015.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
There is now way Suarez 14/15 is better than Eto'o 08/09. Eto'o scored 30+ goals in that season with 30 league goals while Suarez scored 25 exact goals with only 16 league goals.
And the following season Suarez scored 59 goals, which blows any Eto'o season out of the water. Suarez did not score as many goals as he could have in the treble year because of his several month suspension, and he played on the RW until December.

I actually prefer Eto'o over Suarez personally, but Suarez was the better player.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I still think Bayern in 2012/2013 was the most dominant season that I've seen in my lifetime by any club from start to finish, but Barcelona in 2014/2015 would have to come in 2nd place.

I personally think that Guardiola got his tactics for Bayern against Barecelona at the Camp Nou in 2015 absolutely right, but without Robben, Ribery and Alaba, with Lewandowski rushed back into the starting line-up following his own injury, and with Messi in-particular plus Neymar and Suarez all in that form, it's very difficulty to stop them.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't think their 2010/11 win was really controversial. Van Persie's red card was dubious at best but they were going to hammer Arsenal in that game anyway.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
And the following season Suarez scored 59 goals, which blows any Eto'o season out of the water. Suarez did not score as many goals as he could have in the treble year because of his several month suspension, and he played on the RW until December.

I actually prefer Eto'o over Suarez personally, but Suarez was the better player.
The following season is 2015/2016 not 2014/2015. The thread is talking about 2014/2015 so we should look at in that season not overall

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Some clear big factors missing here in relation to 2015, most notably the 'hyping' of beating the English and French champions.

Man City scrapped out the group stages with 8 points, 7 behind Bayern. They were a decent side and had a decent season at best in 14/15. Defeating them was nothing to brag about. PSG always bottle it.

If it wasnt for a Messi masterclass in the final 13 minutes at home to Bayern that tie could have been so different.

Another big important factor is in my opinion football as a whole was much stronger in 08/09 than 14/15.

Finally, in regards to the myth at Stamford bridge, still astounds me to this day how people continue to ignore the decisions Barcelona had against them. Clear penalty in first tie, at 0-0 in the return leg Ballack played basketball and should have been another penalty.

Two huge decisions before the Chelsea calls. Abidal wrongly sent off. People inaccurately act like Chelsea never got away with 3 huge calls.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Some clear big factors missing here in relation to 2015, most notably the 'hyping' of beating the English and French champions.

Man City scrapped out the group stages with 8 points, 7 behind Bayern. They were a decent side and had a decent season at best in 14/15. Defeating them was nothing to brag about. PSG always bottle it.

If it wasnt for a Messi masterclass in the final 13 minutes at home to Bayern that tie could have been so different.

Another big important factor is in my opinion football as a whole was much stronger in 08/09 than 14/15.

Finally, in regards to the myth at Stamford bridge, still astounds me to this day how people continue to ignore the decisions Barcelona had against them. Clear penalty in first tie, at 0-0 in the return leg Ballack played basketball and should have been another penalty.

Two huge decisions before the Chelsea calls. Abidal wrongly sent off. People inaccurately act like Chelsea never got away with 3 huge calls.
No.
In the stamford bridge game that was never a pen on ballack. Messi literally knocks it on to his arm from a yard away.
Abidal should have had a red for the last man foul on drogba.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

I don't agree that football as a whole was much stronger in 2008/2009 than in 2014/2015. I think that English football was clearly much stronger in 2008/2009 given that the Premier League big 4 were 4 of the best teams in Europe, but beyond that:

- Real Madrid were significantly stronger in 2014/2015 than in 2008/2009 - I think that is pretty obvious
- Atletico Madrid were one of the best teams in Europe in 2014/2015, and were stronger than any La Liga club excluding Barcelona was in 2008/2009, but including Real Madrid - Atletico Madrid in 2014/2015 > Real Madrid in 2008/2009
- Bayern were much stronger in 2014/2015 than they or any Bundesliga club was in 2008/2009
- Juventus were much stronger in 2014/2015 than any Serie A club was in 2008/2009 - Mourinho's Inter were quite weak that season picking up 8 points in a group with Panathinaikos, Werder Bremen and Anorthosis Famagusta, and improved considerably after their summer 2009 signings
- I don't think that PSG were the bottlers in 2014/2015 they became in later seasons, they were a talented and strong team that season and were just a notch / level below the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid, and they did record a home win over Barca early on in the group stages

When I compare Man Utd's 1998/1999 and 2007/2008 seasons, I always think that they faced much stronger domestic competition in 2007/2008 as the Premier League big 4 were 4 of the best clubs in Europe, but much stronger international competition in 1998/1999.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
No.
In the stamford bridge game that was never a pen on ballack. Messi literally knocks it on to his arm from a yard away.
Abidal should have had a red for the last man foul on drogba.
100% a penalty and far bigger call than two of the Chelsea calls.

Drogba delaying going down and shooting influenced that decision. Should have went down earlier, see similar calls not given as pens. Abidal was very lucky though.