It's looking like we're not going to sign a single undisputed Starting 11 player.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Well the biggest issue last season apparently was the squad depth, so you can't say we didn't buy right this window.

Now just watch us get priced out of Sancho after he has a great season coupled with a good Euros showing next year.

steve.crowford

I’d let De Gea go for 20m, Pogba go for 50-60m, Maguire go for 30m
With DeGay's salary, only Real or PSG can afford him, I think they will not mind buying it for 50. Maguire is not for sale, Pogba has a year left under the contract, indeed Juventus or Real will take him easily for 50, the best option is to exchange him in Inter on Skriniar+Brozovic.

Deery

Dreary
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Telles take over from Shaw who hasn’t been good for along time just average.

Or Donny take a midfield spot as he looks to be the player with better movement and engine than Pogba.

And Cavani could easily take over from Martial who lets face it doesn’t lead the line very well at all.

The two kids are hard to judge right now but at least we have two options now were we only really had James.

GazTheLegend

Telles is almost 28 and just got his first NT cap last year and has been playing for Porto. He is simply not that good.

If Telles is starting, then the quality of our starting XI has regressed further.
I hate to break it to you but the quality of our full backs going forward always and recently while defending has been championship level.

Have you watched Telles play much?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm sure we'll start Greenwood. All the reports from Penarol fans/people who've actually seen a bit of Pellistri say that he's a big talent, but very lightweight and raw at the moment. I think Pellistri is one for the future, but who knows...hopefully he'll surprise us.
I suppose, to be fair, the same could have been said when we got Ronaldo... but can't say this window thrilled me at all

Charles Miller

I might be wrong, but i think its a blatant unawareness of the individual hierarchies in the european football to assume VDB, Telles and a fit CAVANI are not starters in this Manchester United.

steve.crowford

I might be wrong, but i think its a blatant unawareness of the individual hierarchies in the european football to assume VDB, Telles and a fit CAVANI are not starters in this Manchester United.
Telles will be the starting player there is no doubt, VDB needs more to replace Bruno or tactically if the team loses the match it will add sharp to the attack instead of one of the central midfielders, Cavani if it gets into shape quickly, then yes it is a player in the starting lineup.

Highfather_24

Going into the summer we needed :

- First team RW
- First team DM
- First team CB
- Backup AM
- Backup LB
- Backup CF

We got the backups. We didnt get the first team players. I'm still willing to accept that DM and CB will be addressed next summer because we have numbers there. But a first choice RW was a priority, and the club briefed that as well.

Such incompetence. We are a laughing stock of football now.

Bestietom

I mean the biggest issue last season was our crap squad depth so it's not the worst thing we could do. At least these players have the potential to get in the starting 11, and not just resigned to being backup the whole time.

Not signing a proper RW is bonkers though.
It will go with our "Not proper" CBs.

Canagel

Can't believe bloody Arsenal went out and got Partey for £45m. Wtf, did I just read that right?

Now was the time for us to get either Partey, Zakaria or Koopmeiners.

I don't understand why we got another b2b midfielder in vdb?
United are a joke mate. All that money spent and ended with Matic as the only DM at the club. No DM in 3 years and no DLP. Fabinho, Partey, Allan etc just some of the players that have moved to England on reasonable money but they signed VdB to sit on the bench while the main midfield is getting battered on the pitch.

You have 2 strikers but signed a finished 33 year old as a marquee signing and gave him the 7 (let go by PSG) while Greenwood is main option on RW but actually a striker and two 18 year olds as back ups. :lol:

dinostar77

I really don't get this thread. Telles, VDB, Cavani will all be starting players. We have a compressed football schedule, there will be time for everyone to get substantial minutes on the pitch. Telles will very quickly replace Shaw as our starting LB for the big games. We finally have an attacking fullback who is a proper threat. Hopefully Ole will have the balls to drop Pogba and start VDB and realise he is a better fit for midfield than Pogba (if it wasnt for Covid he would have been a Real Madrid player). Cavani will get plenty of game time. A proper striker whos vast experience will be of great benefit. A top top player.

Very excited to see how our young wingers (Pellestri and Diallo) progress, hopefully we might see them in the first team towards the end of the season.

Reactions: Penna

Highfather_24

Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Aston VIlla, Leeds and Tottenham have all had higher net spend than us this window.

cheeky_backheel

I hate to break it to you but the quality of our full backs going forward always and recently while defending has been championship level.

Have you watched Telles play much?
I have watched Telles and, despite the translational equivalence, Premier League and Primeira Liga are not even close.

Shaw is still better than the average EPL LB, but I cant say the same for Telles. He is poor defensively and the quality and pace of EPL attacks is much higher than what he has been playing against (e.g. the porto vs liverpool games)

Add his age, language barrier and new environment, and I would expect him to end up behind shaw for LB most of his time here.

HackeyC

Just remember that the window isn't over yet. With Cavani joining the team and Telles surely starting at left back I can see us trying for Adama Traore as the alternate to Sancho to allow us the option to play from wider positions. He's fast, obviously powerful, technically excellent and much improved decision making compared to 12 months ago. At £45m (ish) he is a better buy than Sancho and allows for funds towards a central defender.

croadyman

Just remember that the window isn't over yet. With Cavani joining the team and Telles surely starting at left back I can see us trying for Adama Traore as the alternate to Sancho to allow us the option to play from wider positions. He's fast, obviously powerful, technically excellent and much improved decision making compared to 12 months ago. At £45m (ish) he is a better buy than Sancho and allows for funds towards a central defender.
I hate to break it to you but deals can only be done now between PL & EFL clubs

HackeyC

I hate to break it to you but deals can only be done now between PL & EFL clubs
My bad, I thought it was the entire English league that remained open.... We're done for! Get on the Norwich lad :smirk:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Our first 11 remains one of the best in the league but kneejerkers will kneejerk.

romufc

Henderson is move vocal and commanding than DDG.
This. Although it may look Like De Gea is not making mistakes, the first goal Henderson would be shouting, get rid.

Second goal, he wouldn't be messing around, he would lump it forward.

romufc

Now just watch us get priced out of Sancho after he has a great season coupled with a good Euros showing next year.
This doesn't matter anymore. We cannot afford to go into a new window in 2021 hoping for Sancho and spending our transfer budget on him.

The reason we signed 2 potential RW's is so that we do not need to sign him.

We should all forget about Sancho and concentrate on what is important now, getting a CB and CDM next summer.

croadyman

My bad, I thought it was the entire English league that remained open.... We're done for! Get on the Norwich lad :smirk:
Yeah or Benrahma might be another option but knowing us we will send Facundo to youth and Lingard/Mata will be backup to Mason

Murray3007

personally think come the end of the season, Cavani, VDB and tells will be starters for the club, just not big enough upgrades for me to be challenging for the league or closer whatever way people want to put it, will again now be a battle for top 4

Hoof the ball

I'd love to see VdB get first team games in matches that aren't cup ones, but I just don't think Ole's got it in him to not play Pogba and Fernandes together in midfield. VdB was impressive in his debut, and scored the only goal, and was back on the bench for the next league game, when he got 2 minutes? Just weird.

croadyman

This doesn't matter anymore. We cannot afford to go into a new window in 2021 hoping for Sancho and spending our transfer budget on him.

The reason we signed 2 potential RW's is so that we do not need to sign him.

We should all forget about Sancho and concentrate on what is important now, getting a CB and CDM next summer.
Frustrates me so much that there was no desire to sign a Matic replacement this summer and ONE CB target all summer was disgraceful too.

big rons sovereign

I am very very concerned that our lack of defensive signings will be our downfall, not missing out on Sancho. A pacy CB and Partey would have improved us immensly. I seriously doubt that Ole can organize Pogba, Matic and any of our two CBs into a tight defensive unit. A lot of our opponents can run rings around our sleeping giants, just like Spurs and mighty Palace did.
Honestly, I don't think it matters how much you coach someone like pogba, he's clearly a dickhead.
It must be infuriating playing alongside him. Getting battered at home and he's strolling around without a care.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I'm not worried about not bringing in first 11 players. Our first 11 proved they could take on anyone (albeit not so much so far this season obv!) but Ole couldn't rest any of them because of the lack of quality back up. Hopefully the new signings go some way to address this. Decent bit of business, but I'm still pissed that it was all last minute

romufc

Frustrates me so much that there was no desire to sign a Matic replacement this summer and ONE CB target all summer was disgraceful too.
This is my biggest frustration over Sancho. You know you cant sign him, then why not go for a functional signing ?

People will say no one was available, yet City and Arsenal got a CB each.

croadyman

This is my biggest frustration over Sancho. You know you cant sign him, then why not go for a functional signing ?

People will say no one was available, yet City and Arsenal got a CB each.
Yeah clearly we saw Gabriel as no better than Axel/Mengi and think Dias was very much a Mourinho target.

Not going for Partey was the biggest joke of all,yes I will admit he isn't a DM but could have played more of a DLP role.Typically Ole doesn't think it is needed and I really cannot understand that thought process at all.

romufc

Yeah clearly we saw Gabriel as no better than Axel/Mengi and think Dias was very much a Mourinho target.

Not going for Partey was the biggest joke of all,yes I will admit he isn't a DM but could have played more of a DLP role.Typically Ole doesn't think it is needed and I really cannot understand that thought process at all.
The difference is that Gabriel is available to start. If he rates Mengi so highly, I don't know why he hasn't been given a chance in the league cup. I get he wants minutes for the 3 CB's we have.

He may not be a DM but he gives that aggressive nature in our midfield. Fred isnt a DM, but whenever he plays we look better because he can get about the pitch, tackle, foul, be a pain.

croadyman

The difference is that Gabriel is available to start. If he rates Mengi so highly, I don't know why he hasn't been given a chance in the league cup. I get he wants minutes for the 3 CB's we have.

He may not be a DM but he gives that aggressive nature in our midfield. Fred isnt a DM, but whenever he plays we look better because he can get about the pitch, tackle, foul, be a pain.
Yeah if he wasn't intending on giving Mengi a chance in the league cup then we should have bought a CB.

Totally agree we look better with Fred in there but worrying that certain teams seem to target him when he is on the ball.We really should have been looking to upgrade this window but again just couldn't be bothered.

Green_Red

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Telles take over from Shaw who hasn’t been good for along time just average.

Or Donny take a midfield spot as he looks to be the player with better movement and engine than Pogba.

And Cavani could easily take over from Martial who lets face it doesn’t lead the line very well at all.

The two kids are hard to judge right now but at least we have two options now were we only really had James.
I dont think Shaw will be out of the team.

I can see us playing a 3 at the back and Telles offering some WB potential to the team to drop in and make it 5 or 4 when needed with AWB the other side of Lindleof/Bailley, Maguire and Shaw, but equally getting forward and giving us width.

Would going 352 in some games when attacking be a potential option then in certain phases? I'm not a tactical expert.

Cal?

CR7 fan
With DeGay's salary, only Real or PSG can afford him, I think they will not mind buying it for 50. Maguire is not for sale, Pogba has a year left under the contract, indeed Juventus or Real will take him easily for 50, the best option is to exchange him in Inter on Skriniar+Brozovic.
Barca too once they get rid of Messi's 1m pw.

Deery

Dreary
I dont think Shaw will be out of the team.

I can see us playing a 3 at the back and Telles offering some WB potential to the team to drop in and make it 5 or 4 when needed with AWB the other side of Lindleof/Bailley, Maguire and Shaw, but equally getting forward and giving us width.

Would going 352 in some games when attacking be a potential option then in certain phases? I'm not a tactical expert.
I’m no tactical expert either but I don’t like playing 5 at the back, not when we spent money on Donny and Cavani. I think it wouldn’t be wise to bench them.

A lot of people are suggesting it because our defence has been shocking recently and it would probably work in the short time, but I don’t want to see it long time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I wonder if our inability to sign Sancho marks an acceptance that were no longer one of the biggest clubs in terms of financial muscle. Leaving aside PSG, Madrid got Hazard for a monster fee and Barcelona got multiple players for over 100 million. We couldn't complete our mega deal for a player more worth than those signings by those clubs

A few years ago we broke the transfer record for Pogba. Just feels like It could be us according our inability to make these landmark deals happen.

oreon

The squad tried their best, overachieved, and finished 3rd last season. After that the players in our team expected major strengthening, and atleast couple of players coming straight into the first XI.

When they see other clubs strengthening heavily, and our club didnt, obviously they are demotivated now. This Sancho saga will have a huge morale blow for the squad.
This is makes no sense. They did not over achieve. They met expectations. Was UTD squad better than Chelsea, Leceister, Spurs and Arsenal ? Yes, you can argue against Spurs but not the other teams. In terms of injury, Leceister lost Maddison, Vardy and other squad players. Spurs lost Kane.
We need to stop devaluing our own lowers. If you give players the excuse they will take it.
We talk about Pogba and Bruno being world class, Rashford and Martial of having world class talent and Greenword a future ballon d'or winner. This is a talented squad especially going foward. Now they may not have the talent to challenge City and Liverpool but against everyone else they are as equally as talented.
If you look at AWB, is the best defensive fullback in the world. Telles is one of the best attacking fullbacks in the world. De Gea 2 seasons ago was a top 2 keeper. Maguire when he played for Leceister was consistent.
The talent is there, the players are not meeting them. Fans needs to stop excusing them and demand better from them. I don't expect to win UCL but we should be in top 4 again , we should make a cup run and we should get into last 16 of UCL.
There needs to be perspective. Sure the board has failed but this is the strongest UTD team since SAF left, no question about it. Fans are demanding better from the board but we need to demand better from the players too