It's probably time to talk about Rodri - what are we witnessing?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What kind of class of player is this?

Not going to run through all the players of his type from the past, but I don't think I've seen someone so much in the mold of Redondo since the Argentine hung up his boots.

The things he does on the pitch are just as seamless. He's outright City's best player, imo.

What do you think his ceiling is? A Redondo comparison isn't one to throw around liberally, in fact, it's mostly sacrilegious, and setting whoever it is up for failure and scrutiny they cannot hold a candle to; this guy looks of that class to me.

Where do you rank this guy in terms of potential final standing in the game?

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
If there was one player I could add to our team he'd be it. Annoying.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
City haven’t lost in the last 63 times he’s played. When he was suspended earlier this season, they lost 3 times. That says it all.

soapythecat

One of, if not, the best player in the world. Makes playing the position so easy. If we ever want to be competitive again, we need to find the next Rodri and get rid of ETH.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He feels like a bit of a throwback to the 90s so I can understand the Redondo comparison although I can't quite put my finger on who he reminds me of the most. Probably he's just the type of MF that would be great in any era.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
One Man Wrecking Crew who chips in with heavy goals.
A Madrid were devastated when he chose to come to City and despite an iffy first season he's proved to be an absolute rock for us.

Valencia Shin Crosses

What kind of class of player is this?

Not going to run through all the players of his type from the past, but I don't think I've seen someone so much in the mold of Redondo since the Argentine hung up his boots.

The things he does on the pitch are just as seamless. He's outright City's best player, imo.

What do you think his ceiling is? A Redondo comparison isn't one to throw around liberally, in fact, it's mostly sacrilegious, and setting whoever it is up for failure and scrutiny they cannot hold a candle to; this guy looks of that class to me.

Where do you rank this guy in terms of potential final standing in the game?
All timer if we are being honest. Will finish his career having won almost everything, incredibly versatile in a variety of roles, has one of the rarest profiles for holding midfielders. There's a reason City are such a different side with and without him.

youngrell

I saw him live for Spain vs Wales in a friendly back when he was still at Atletico and he absolutely bosses the game. Was like Busquets on roids, Wales couldn’t get near him (not that the Welsh midfield was anything to write home about) and he really stood out so not surprised to see his progression to the level he’s at today.

Think I posted at the time that he would be the ideal signing for us as Matic had already started to wane.

Ole'sattheWheel

Carrick is who I’d compare him to most. Carrick but coached by pep in the modern era with extra “sports science”

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Carrick is who I’d compare him to most. Carrick but coached by pep in the modern era with extra “sports science”
He’s a far, *far* better player than Carrick though. Without the sports science nonsense.

Bertie Wooster

I don't watch any City or Liverpool games except against us, but I certainly hear a lot of praise about him and sounds like the kind of player we're crying out for in midfield.

BarryWinks

I wonder if he'd make the legendary Spain team with Xavi/Xabi/Busquet

Wondering which of the later two he could potentially displace. But wonderful player nonetheless.

KeanoMagicHat

I wonder if he'd make the legendary Spain team with Xavi/Xabi/Busquet

Wondering which of the later two he could potentially displace. But wonderful player nonetheless.
Yeah, I think he’d be better than Busquets in a Xavi/Iniesta midfield. They might never have lost because you have the brawn and shooting to go with the passing and tactical intelligence. Seems quicker than Alonso.

Rare to have a player with those physical attributes with that technique and intelligence. His dribbling through and middle and passing is top-notch. Other thing I noticed tonight is how many accurate passes he hit with his left foot. World class.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
The guy needs two more bookings! City could well drop some decent points with him on a two match ban.

Oranges038

Yeah, he's annoyingly good. This must have been what it was like watching Keane as an opposition fan, you kind of have to dislike him but you'd love him in your team.

PoTMS

Why the feck are Barca and Madrid not all over him? They'd be like flies on shit if he was ours.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
I said already last season that I think he is our best player, and that I think he should be talked about as one of the greatest midfielders of all time. But I will admit I am biased.

He is the most complete midfielder of this generation though I am very confident I saying, and he is one of those players that feasibly could play everything from centre-back to attacking midfielder and have match-winning performances on the highest level.

In my opinion the greatest player I have seen at City

KeanoMagicHat

Why the feck are Barca and Madrid not all over him? They'd be like flies on shit if he was ours.
Can’t afford him. Barca are broke, struggled to get Gundogan through on a free transfer. Real Madrid are getting Mbappé, who will be on God knows how much money. Plus they just spent £200m on Tchouameni, Camavinga and Bellingham for midfielders.

Supports
Chelsea
With no stand out players like Messi/Ronaldo around at the moment, he'd be my pick for best player in the world. I don't think he gets as much mainstream praise as he deserves though.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
I wondered that stuff too, why is it their top players don't get pursued outright by Barca and Real? Do they know something we don't know? Surely the lure of Real and Barca would normally be strong for him to resist?

KeanoMagicHat

I said already last season that I think he is our best player, and that I think he should be talked about as one of the greatest midfielders of all time. But I will admit I am biased.

He is the most complete midfielder of this generation though I am very confident I saying, and he is one of those players that feasibly could play everything from centre-back to attacking midfielder and have match-winning performances on the highest level.

In my opinion the greatest player I have seen at City
Wow, even better than De Bruyne? Big claim.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I dont know why his goal against Aston Villa on the last round of the 2021 22 season is not mentioned more.

An absolute worldie in the most clutch of moments. Cost Liverpool the league.

Teja

I dont know why his goal against Aston Villa on the last round of rhe 2021 22 season is not mentioned more.
Yeah I feel like he keeps getting clutch goals whenever City are in a tight game.

Carolina Red

Staff
I wondered that stuff too, why is it their top players don't get pursued outright by Barca and Real? Do they know something we don't know? Surely the lure of Real and Barca would normally be strong for him to resist?
Because…
Can’t afford him. Barca are broke, struggled to get Gundogan through on a free transfer. Real Madrid are getting Mbappé, who will be on God knows how much money. Plus they just spent £200m on Tchouameni, Camavinga and Bellingham for midfielders.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Wow, even better than De Bruyne? Big claim.
Their both up there, as is David Silva (who is a bit behind both) but in my opinion Rodri just is that bit extra special in his position.

If De Bruyne is great, we can win any game but it isn't really a given. And he can be pretty non-existent pretty randomly (not inconsistent, just human)

If Rodri is great we win. Guaranteed. And he has most likely rocketed home the winner himself after 80 minutes of locking midfield down himself. And he is mostly great. Sometimes just very good

I pray he can keep this level up for years, but for me he is already established as the best I have seen, for what I wrote above but also for how much better he is than Fernandinho who I at the time thought were the perfect holding midfielder in our system and irreplaceable. It is almost absurd

How he ranks among the best of all time, and in the Prem I leave to other because I am very biased. But I'd back him against any midfielder I have personally seen in England and that includes the likes of Viera and Keane who obviously are two of the greatest

CoopersDream

Maybe because he'd likely cost them north of £150m to buy, which probably, as good as Rodri is, wouldn't be worth it.

If Rodri was playing for Manchester United and was as good as he is now, he'd likely be desperate to leave as he would literally throw away the best years of his career playing for us. So obviously other clubs would be like flies on shit.

Last edited: