Jack Grealish | Man City

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I like Graelish a lot, but is “drawing fouls” really that significant of a selling point? It’s weird that that gets mentioned so much as some sort of defining characteristic.

Hazard used to draw a lot of fouls as well, and Ronaldo back when he was here, but no one ever really talked about that.
They had miles more to their game and end product.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Nah man, one game in and one 6/10 performance, this is the Caf, he's clearly finished, what age is he now 25... too old. Caf logic, Grealish is washed, City relegated and United champions.
:lol: take some banter ffs, 6/10 is very kind considering his fee.

Castia

He scored 8 goals in the league in 2019 and 6 in 2020. I posted this on the day when his transfer was made official with the question what he at age 25 has done statistically to warrant a 100 milion pound transfer? He clearly has talent but by no means would i describe him as the most talented english player at 25 years of age. He may become a very good system player at City. Bruyne, Sterling all developed to a new level. However, the transfer amount of 100 milion is what i raise questions about.
Exactly. Going into this summer he had 7 England caps at the age of 25.

I’ve never seen a player get this much hype for doing so little in my life.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I like Graelish a lot, but is “drawing fouls” really that significant of a selling point? It’s weird that that gets mentioned so much as some sort of defining characteristic.

Hazard used to draw a lot of fouls as well, and Ronaldo back when he was here, but no one ever really talked about that.
Its one of those things that they can use him as no.1 as. He's clearly a media darling, even today when he does something Mahrez had already done for Jack commentators cream themselves. He's a good player but the hype that comes with him from the media is insanity. He's just another option amongst a few very good options.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
He’s a good player and this is only one game and I’d of loved him at United but joining a plastic club like City and watching him lose his cool and generally being anonymous was quite satisfying.

I don’t think he’ll be anonymous for long though.
This.

Football fans are so short term.

Donut

He really doesn’t add anything that Bernardo Silva doesn’t and is actually just a slightly better version of him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He will do well at City but I am afraid his fans have set unrealistic expectations of the player and it won't do him any good.

Teja

I think most people were proven right - on the left he won't offer a significant improvement over Sterling. Through the middle, him vs Bernardo / Foden there isn't a lot either. I'm sure he'll do fine over the course of the season, but for 100m you'd want slightly more than "fine".

EDIT As a side note they're so desperate for Kane it's hilarious. They tried Ferran upfront, Jesus upfront, KdB / Berardo upfront in the CL last season etc

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This was just his first match for City. And he wasn't even that bad really, he was average at worst. So many shitty takes now. Let's be less short-sighted and immediatist. Every player has games below their best.
There’s obviously a few OTT posts/ripping the piss after all the nonsense posted in this thread, but yeah, basically what Bosnian Red says:
It's quite obvious he just flat out isn't what City need. The biggest benefit he provides them is a transition plan after De Bruyne, while being nowhere near as good. But they need directness, pace in behind, a goal threat. Rashford would be absolutely massive for them. Grealish does feck all for them.
He’s fundamentally a good to very good player, he just adds very little to their squad composition.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I dont think posters are saying he is 'finished', far from that. Me, personally, i ask the question what he had achieved at age 25 to warrant a 100 milion pound transfer? He clearly is a talented player who can under a world class manager develop to a next level. He will some need time to suit the system and to get accustomed to the playing style and tactics.
Joking aside nothing. I was in the euro threads saying there is no way he should start ahead of Sterling (or Foden). He's a good player but he has two seasons of top football at 25, the jury is very much out on just how good he is.

Raven

Hadn't lost a premier league opener in 10 years until they signed Jack the lad.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He really doesn’t add anything that Bernardo Silva doesn’t and is actually just a slightly better version of him.
I’d personally pick silva if I had one spot. Better all around player and works harder defensively.

Frank Sinatra Fan

Are you a City fan?
I like Guardiola.

Coming back to topic, I still always dislike to see how every player is called shit and overrated immediately after any not great performances. I would post the same reply to any other player. I remember how Lewandowski, for example, was mercilessly mocked as a bottler in big UCL KO games against top teams, a "flat-track bully", an overrated player and so on, before he won the UCL in 2020. Hell, even Messi was mocked as overrated until 2009, because he had always failed to score against english teams before the 2009 UCL final.

I dont think posters are saying he is 'finished', far from that. Me, personally, i ask the question what he had achieved at age 25 to warrant a 100 milion pound transfer? He clearly is a talented player who can under a world class manager develop to a next level. He will some need time to suit the system and to get accustomed to the playing style and tactics.
Your comment is reasonable.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Like Jack, that banter was anonymous :lol:
It was on point, you know exactly what the caf is like, you've been here 7 years. In another game week he'll be world class again and you'll all be wanting to go protest in Old Trafford again, thats what makes football great. I'd imagine the Pep Guardiola is my idol threads will be in overdrive.

Semir_Tuce777

Supports
Velež Mostar
We had/have a lot of trouble with Pogba and he was also expensive one. Now watching some people criticizing JG without any argument is apsurde. Think he will do much more by time, and yes i dont like him neither would i love to have him but stop with that kind of nonsense that he is bad at least.

The United

I like Guardiola.

Coming back to topic, I still always dislike to see how every player is called shit and overrated immediately after any not great performances. I would post the same reply to any other player. I remember how Lewandowski, for example, was mercilessly mocked as a bottler in big UCL KO games against top teams, a "flat-track bully", an overrated player and so on, before he won the UCL in 2020. Hell, even Messi was mocked as overrated until 2009, because he had always failed to score against english teams before the 2009 UCL final.

Your comment is reasonable, and you're not saying that.
And, are you a Utd fan?

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Exactly. Going into this summer he had 7 England caps at the age of 25.

I’ve never seen a player get this much hype for doing so little in my life.
Correct. I remember when Graelish had his substitute turn at the European Cup, cant remember which game it was specifically. The noise for his substitute was electric . I remember asking myself the question why he got all this appraisal and based on what. The commentator tried to describe him as a 'popular' player, that is fine, but are transfers now just thrown around for popularity? Again, he is talented, no doubt, but having cost more then players like Hazard, Bale and just below World Cup winner Griezmann does warrant questions.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It was on point, you know exactly what the caf is like, you've been here 7 years. In another game week he'll be world class again and you'll all be wanting to go protest in Old Trafford again, thats what makes football great. I'd imagine the Pep Guardiola is my idol threads will be in overdrive.
I know there are idiots on here, I call them out whenever I'm bored enough to do so.
But just because the caf is unreasonable, doesn't mean i'm going to exclude the unreasonable narratives - both positively & negatively about him.

Today though, he was shit. No other way to slice it, he had plenty of opportunities and did nothing close to the level he needs to be at.

el3mel

He'll come good for them eventually, well probably not 100m good but he'll be good. I see no reason to expect him to flop all honestly. Having a bad start isn't something surprising.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The amount of short term thinking on here is mental.

Let’s wait till the lad actually plays for city first before writing him off.

OverratedOpinion

Utterly astounding, I suppose Ronaldinho did win a lot of free kicks when he wasn't doing things like scoring, creating, beating players in a way that is actually dangerous, taking the ball in his stride rather than stopping and standing still with it for 10 seconds ect.

OverratedOpinion

He'll come good for them eventually, well probably not 100m good but he'll be good. I see no reason to expect him to flop all honestly. Having a bad start isn't something surprising.
He will be good for them because he is a good player in a great team, he will more than likely be a very similar level to Bernardo Silva due to being a very similar level of player to Bernardo Silva.

Moby

Dick
Sorry can't hear you from the bottom of the table. :wenger:

tomaldinho1

It would have been so interesting (in an alternate reality) to see the difference in price had he chosen Ireland over England. £100m is bonkers for any player but 25 isn't that young in footballing terms and can't help but think he's got that English player tax heavily weighing into that fee. No doubt he'll adapt and do well, whether he wants to stay long term is different as I feel he thrives with more freedom and playing a bit off the cuff. Plus he used to semi support United after Villa it seems.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good player, but crazily overrated.
Yeah, there are some idiotic posts like "he will shut everyone up in first 15 mins, just watch him play" "he will show how good he is and you will see why he is the best". So many posts like this as if Grealish was signed from some shit league and no one watched him play in the last 2 years.

And then there is a poster who played down Shaw saying it's just one season, played down his Euros performance saying quality of opponents is not high, and then rates Grealish highly who had great 4 months and hyped his Euros (He had good few mins in Euros), comparing him to Zidane. Apparently "ManUtd fan"

Ole'sattheWheel

As much as I love seeing City lose and want their £100m player to flop, let's just wait to see how he plays once he's settled in first before we start writing him/them off.
A lot of posters could end up with egg on their faces otherwise.

But right now, :D

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Another English (Irish) hype job? 100 million for yet another winger and pushing out perfectly good players to fit him in.

It’s good for us that bedding him will hold them back in the short term

Long term he’ll improve but he’ll never, ever, ever be worth 100 million quid