Jack Grealish | Man City

OverratedOpinion

It was on point, you know exactly what the caf is like, you've been here 7 years. In another game week he'll be world class again and you'll all be wanting to go protest in Old Trafford again, thats what makes football great. I'd imagine the Pep Guardiola is my idol threads will be in overdrive.
The Pep Guardiola is my idol thing is ridiculous because Pep has proven that he is one of the best managers to ever do the job for over a decade.

The idea that Grealish is a good/very good Premier League player who became hugely overrated due to being built up as a Messiah by football hipsters for 2 years is much more balanced and not being particularly harsh on Grealish as everyone knows he is a good player.

Robbie Boy

Yeah, there are some idiotic posts like "he will shut everyone up in first 15 mins, just watch him play" "he will show how good he is and you will see why he is the best". So many posts like this as if Grealish was signed from some shit league and no one watched him play in the last 2 years.

And then there is a poster who played down Shaw saying it's just one season, played down his Euros performance saying quality of opponents is not high, and then rates Grealish highly who had great 4 months and hyped his Euros (He had good few mins in Euros), comparing him to Zidane. Apparently "ManUtd fan"
Yup, as I said he's obviously a good player but the 'generational talent' moniker some are throwing around is just insane, as is his weird cult following.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There’s obviously a few OTT posts/ripping the piss after all the nonsense posted in this thread, but yeah, basically what Bosnian Red says:

He’s fundamentally a good to very good player, he just adds very little to their squad composition.
Yeah pretty much. Good player for sure. Never a 100m player. Has massively underachieved until now and is more a Hleb/Isco type who are nice on the eye but lack the end product when it matters. Doesn't answer any question that City needed, doesn't fit into their starting 11 to make them better in any way. A team like Liverpool or Chelsea would've made far more sense for him, City is essentially 100m for a player that doesn't make their team better.

mu4c_20le

His ceiling is limitless but as we've seen from his twitter, he's a simple, honest guy, and he's a united fan so he'll never truly love it there like he did at villa

RedCurry

Grealish’s foul stats are the most irrelevant stats since Morata’s goals per minutes stats

mobmob

I always loved hearing the commentators stat through the Euros "the most fouled player in the PL" when on gods earth did fouls count for anything? The guy has 6 goals/10 assists & 8 goals/5 assists at the Premier League level very average in my opinion.....Poor mans Joe Cole!

RetroStu

Better then Bruno they say
I'd love to know where they even get that crap from anyway. His stats arent even half Bruno's in terms of goals and a assists. In fact there are few playrs in world football that come close to Bruno's goals and assists stats for us.

The United

His ceiling is limitless but as we've seen from his twitter, he's a simple, honest guy, and he's a united fan so he'll never truly love it there like he did at villa
Because he can hold the ball for longer than 5 seconds?

Stacks

How was Ronaldinho?
Slow start for Ronaldinho.
Haha stop it.
He is not better than sterling that I can promise you. Guardiola better realize this before he risks unsettling his only direct quality player.
On God. I struggle to see him being a replacement for Sterling as Sterling has his own unique skill sets that are rare. A bit like Salah.
Definitely a good dribbler and will do very well at City but he's not this insanely good player he's made out to be. Average today.
I agree. My housemate said he is not concerned with the signing because they are making out like they just signed Ronaldinho on top of Maradona (Foden)

Blood Mage

It will be funny when he eventually ends up on the bench. He'll be the most expensive impact player of all time.

El Jefe

I think I've been the most critical of Grealish on here, going back to the 19/20 season. The fanfare over him on here has been nauseating.

On today's game though, I thought he was ok. Their other attackers were hopeless, and I guess he was the best of a bad bunch. Pep has his work cut out for him because Grealish is not a City type of player. He either has to mould him into a system player or allow him the freedom he needs to be effective.

It is funny though how people are noticing how much of his gameplay is pretty pointless. Winning fouls and taking 5 unnecessary touches before releasing the ball might get you ratings at Villa but at City that brings no value.

OverratedOpinion

I'd love to know where they even get that crap from anyway. His stats arent even half Bruno's in terms of goals and a assists. In fact there are few playrs in world football that come close to Bruno's goals and assists stats for us.
Don't mention actually scoring or creating goals, the football hipsters will scoff at you for not "getting it".

The same reason I would not mention that Rashford contributed more last season than Grealish ever has in a season whilst needing at least 2 surgeries.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I mean it isn't though, is it?

acolyte

This was just his first match for City. And he wasn't even that bad really, he was average at worst. So many shitty takes now. Let's be less short-sighted and immediatist. Every player has games below their best.
Yeah the problem with that though is that his transfer threads have been dripping with nonsense like this:

Many are downplaying him because he cones from Villa, most will shut up in about 15 minutes of the first game or so.
It's been 115 minutes including the cameo in the Charity Shield. So has he shut us up yet?

Not to mention repeated cries of "most entertaining player in the league", "best player in England", "far better than Bruno", "new Ronaldinho", and "modern day Beckham". This summer's Jack Grealish is the most overrated, over-mythologized player I've ever seen in my life and I'm not accepting the "give him time" excuse now. He's Premier League proven and was supposed to dominate! Where's the domination????

It's gonna be silent domination isn't it?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s gotta be said, he’s the best in the world at winning free kicks. Bruno could never!

I reckon the City apologists in this thread are some fun at parties

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Will be very good for us when we start firing on all cylinders

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
It was on point, you know exactly what the caf is like, you've been here 7 years. In another game week he'll be world class again and you'll all be wanting to go protest in Old Trafford again, thats what makes football great. I'd imagine the Pep Guardiola is my idol threads will be in overdrive.
Go to bluemoon for morr reasonable debate on City. At the end of the day, this is an Utd forum, behaving as one.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think I've been the most critical of Grealish on here, going back to the 19/20 season. The fanfare over him on here has been nauseating.

On today's game though, I thought he was ok. Their other attackers were hopeless, and I guess he was the best of a bad bunch. Pep has his work cut out for him because Grealish is not a City type of player. He either has to mould him into a system player or allow him the freedom he needs to be effective.

It is funny though how people are noticing how much of his gameplay is pretty pointless. Winning fouls and taking 5 unnecessary touches before releasing the ball might get you ratings at Villa but at City that brings no value.
He will never be given freedom. Guardiola will never sacrifice his principles for Grealish. Even Messi was a bit restricted in the positions he took up.
Look at today, Grealish was allowed to go inside at times but Sterling had to go wide. The only thing that happened was that they kept swapping. Grealish will not be allowed to roam. No player does that under positional play.
He has to adapt. He needs to learn to affect a game while touching the ball less, taking clever positions withing his zone and be able to play the key pass quicker. If he doesn't, he will quickly find he's a £100m bench player.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Who made that post? Who is the con man?
Yagami said:
Fernandes would be 3rd for me. Maddison 2nd, Grealish 1st. If signing Fernandes means we're likely to pass up on them (especially Grealish), then I think that'd be a poor call. Bruno, for me, is another Kagawa/Mata/Mkhi. Will have a good moments here and there, but his subpar general play will be an issue.
Yagami said:
Grealish is easily better, imo

I've seen enough of Bruno to see that his general play leaves a lot to be desired, and relies on sporadic moments of good play like Mkhi, Mata and Kagawa. Grealish is more like a D.Silva who just consistently provides good play. .
Yagami said:
As well as his press resistance being something we're in dire need of as a team in general, he is one of the best playmakers in the world. He's 2nd only to De Bryune in chances created this season playing for a pretty poor Aston Villa team.

Already one of the best in the world, imo. The way he turns under pressure is the spits of David Silva.

At the start of the season, way before the hype kicked in, I likened him to Arthur Melo. At the time, Grealish was playing as a CM - which will probably be his primary position in a top team - and the way he turned under pressure and baited opposition players into fouling him because they couldn't get the ball off of him was identical.

I didn't think at the time he was better than Arthur but I do now. Not only does he resist pressure as well as him, he's 10 times the player from a creative standpoint. Second only to De Bryune in England this season.
Yagami said:
Grealish can play as a 8, 10, false 9 and on the left to a higher level than anyone in our team. Whatever Villa wanted for him would be better value than £40m for Donny.

At least you've realised that, if he came, he wouldn't be taking a back seat to anyone. I remember you saying he was nowhere near Bruno, but he's better than him. Comfortably so.
Yagami said:
said it in the summer. I was a man alone on an island when I said £80m would be a great deal for us whilst everyone else was laughing at the price.

He's on another level to Pogba, Bruno and Donny, is second only to De Bryune as the best midfielder in the league, and, imo, would've been a better signing than Sancho. He's that brilliant.
Yagami said:
He'd be a massive upgrade on anyone. An upgrade on Pogba in central midfield, an upgrade on Rashford on the left, an upgrade on Bruno as the AM.
Just type Grealish and have yourself a laugh by looking at his history. We've found another Madwinger.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Pathetic post. Some Bosnian bloke on the internet is concluding stuff after 90 minutes of football I see, also from a game he was easily City’s best player on a bad day for most of them. A small advice, wait a few weeks and see what he offers them when he’s physically fit and up to speed, linking up with de Bruyne. What is also funny is that people think a player will not develop together with a new manager… this is Pep, not Ole Solskjær, Grealish will be fine.
Right, because Pep is a footballing God and gets everything perfect right. Never had a player flop on him right? Never made a mistake with transfers right?

Grealish is pretty much anti City in his play style. He'll be punted out wide when De Bruyne is back because De Bruyne is a far better player. And out wide he won't be very effective because unlike at Villa, their tactic won't be to just let him do his thing. City need directness and runners in behind. That's not Grealish. 100m squad player and eventual De bruyne replacement. Not an improvement over Gundogan as a partner, not an improvement over Sterling on the left, not an improvement over what Mahrez provides or what Bernardo Silva provides when he's on form. The wankfest over Grealish is beyond fecked when he's done feck all in his (very long) career so far. Not like he didn't have most of his career in literally the 2nd division to show himself to be some actual world class player.

He'll be decent, sure. But he doesn't improve their starting 11, and doesn't give them anything that they didn't have before and doesn't fill any gaps they had. The biggest benefit to his signing is being a long term De Bruyne replacement (while being nowhere close to the same level).

mu4c_20le

Right, because Pep is a footballing God and gets everything perfect right. Never had a player flop on him right? Never made a mistake with transfers right?

Grealish is pretty much anti City in his play style. He'll be punted out wide when De Bruyne is back because De Bruyne is a far better player. And out wide he won't be very effective because unlike at Villa, their tactic won't be to just let him do his thing. City need directness and runners in behind. That's not Grealish. 100m squad player and eventual De bruyne replacement. Not an improvement over Gundogan as a partner, not an improvement over Sterling on the left, not an improvement over what Mahrez provides or what Bernardo Silva provides when he's on form. The wankfest over Grealish is beyond fecked when he's done feck all in his (very long) career so far. Not like he didn't have most of his career in literally the 2nd division to show himself to be some actual world class player.

He'll be decent, sure. But he doesn't improve their starting 11, and doesn't give them anything that they didn't have before and doesn't fill any gaps they had. The biggest benefit to his signing is being a long term De Bruyne replacement (while being nowhere close to the same level).
He has the same numbers as De Bruyne last season in an inferior team under a lesser manager. Surely that's not feck all? If he hadn't gotten injured he'd be on 20+ assists and perhaps dragged Villa into Europe.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Pathetic post. Some Bosnian bloke on the internet is concluding stuff after 90 minutes of football I see, also from a game he was easily City’s best player on a bad day for most of them. A small advice, wait a few weeks and see what he offers them when he’s physically fit and up to speed, linking up with de Bruyne. What is also funny is that people think a player will not develop together with a new manager… this is Pep, not Ole Solskjær, Grealish will be fine.
Cool it bruv.

bosnian_red

He has the same numbers as De Bruyne last season in an inferior team under a lesser manager. Surely that's not feck all? If he hadn't gotten injured he'd be on 20+ assists and perhaps dragged Villa into Europe.
:lol: No he wouldn't my God. Bruno scored a hat trick game one. If he is injured for the rest of the season should we just assume he'll score 30+? De Bruyne is multiple levels above him. They are very clearly not the same statistically. Lesser team or manager doesn't matter. At Villa everything went through Grealish. It won't at City. He had a good 3-4 months last season where he looked a top player for the first time in his career. That's it.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
:houllier:

Grealish provided 10 assists last season and he played 2200 mins of football. De Bruyne provided 12 in 2000 ish. De Bruyne created chances at faster rate. This is precisely the problem with Grealish, his number are magnified and is compared to players who are far far superior. Besides the comparison doesn't make any sense given de Bruyne plays as part of mid 3 while Grealish played as LW for Villa. Not to mention, teams setup completely different when playing against City compared to Villa. Jack Grealish has indeed done feck all to be a £100m player. Jury is still out, but some of our fans have this weird infatuation with him where he's thought of as next coming of Zidane.

When Villa were promoted, Grealish was playing as a CM with McGinn as their #10. They were absolutely dogshit, their fortunes turned around when Grealish was pushed further up. So, the myth which is repeatedly parroted on this forum of Grealish being a world class CM is just a... myth. There's no guarantee he'll evolve into a top CM. So cool the de Bruyne comparisons.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
It would have been so interesting (in an alternate reality) to see the difference in price had he chosen Ireland over England. £100m is bonkers for any player but 25 isn't that young in footballing terms and can't help but think he's got that English player tax heavily weighing into that fee. No doubt he'll adapt and do well, whether he wants to stay long term is different as I feel he thrives with more freedom and playing a bit off the cuff. Plus he used to semi support United after Villa it seems.
That would have been interesting indeed.

Just imagine it in this way. Say, you havent heard of Graelish at all. Think of a scenario where a player played two consecutive seasons in the championship and got promoted to the Premier League. 2 seasons after, this player is picked up by the champions with the title most expensive british player. The question that i then would logically ask is, what did this player achieve in those two Premier League seasons that warranted a 100 milion pound? (higher then the Bale and Hazard transfers). i personally would expect a player like Bale's trajectory, who was clearly improving year by year followed by that 21 goals in his last season to warrant such a transfer when he was 25 years.

I do agree that Graelish has all the tools at City to improve and become an important player for them. It's up to his talent and mentality now to adapt.

Last edited: