Jack Grealish | Man City

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pogba was far better for us than Grealish has been for City.
Pogba certainly would have been better off going to City, that's for sure.

Grealish would have been more important for us than he to City, but no doubt would have joined the massive flop list we have for almost every signing over 50m

ForeverRed1

Pogba was far better for us than Grealish has been for City.
I’ve always thought Grealish would have suited us much more than he does city. Villa asked us for 80mil for him the season before city bought him, which is why we ended up with Donny van de beek instead.

I reckon we’d of got him for about 60mil and he would have been much better than Donny.

tomaldinho1

I am not sure how City transfer works but Doku is signed by Txiki Begiristain.
"
Doku’s directness seems to contradict that. He appeared, superficially at least, a very different player to Riyad Mahrez or Cole Palmer-the men he was replacing.

But the Belgian was the man sporting director Txiki Begiristain proposed when the pair left in the summer.

“We spoke over the years and when Riyad left and Cole wanted to leave, we needed a winger, and we had two or three options, but the Club decided mainly,” Guardiola explained.

“Txiki and his people were talking with me and [assistant coach] Juanma [Lillo] and they decided this is the guy we need."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakgar...hester-city-player-under-pep/?sh=2b9d4cb669e0

Both Pep and Henry said it before Pep doesn't mind player takes risk and create chaos in the game, but only when it is on the 18 yard box.
Yes Txiki does all transfers, I’m not sure Pep has chosen any since first season? Also yes on the risk taking - all the Michels/Cruyff guys are like that, LVG said the same when he was here. It’s about getting the ball into advanced areas, taking the risk and then just fouling if you lose the ball.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Can you point me to any kind of proof for that?
Beyond a simple look at the players Guardiola employed, or the signing he specifically asked for?

Sure. This is a 30 second google search(from a guardian article):
It was Guardiola himself, on Spanish television last year, who observed that the art of dribbling was in decline. “Today football is losing the dribble,” he said. “Without players who dribble, nothing can be done.”

You are crucially, and I assume deliberately, ignoring the context of Kane being a very different player to Haaland.
No, it is you who is crucially ignoring the fact that Haaland has 74 goals in 82 appearances for City - and that's with him struggling for fitness and being below his standards this season. Last season he had 52 in 53. There is no conceivable stylistical or tactical preference that would justify not wanting this player on your team

It's not exactly rocket science to think he likely has an ideal type of player in mind for every position, for years he didn't sign a 'proper' CF despite everyone saying he should and preferred the false 9/workrate striker, so it's also not rocket science to assume that type of player would be his ideal, it's just very hard to find.
The first thing he asked Bayern upon signing his contract was to sign Lewandowski. At City he had Aguero and he still wanted Gabriel Jesus - a highly touted young striker. After Aguero aged out and Gabriel Jesus failed to make the role his, they spent a summer chasing Kane then signed Haaland

Anyway, my point was Grealish, Doku and Haaland were more commercial signings and I can't see how you have disproved it. You got a bee in your bonnet about something but they are undoubtedly more individualistic players and more 'stars' in terms of their profiles and how they play the game.
That's bs. Haaland was signed because 52 goals in 53 games

Doku and Graelish were signed because they were precisely the profile of wide forward player Guardiola wants. Graelish failing to work out as that player type is why they signed Doku, at that

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's pretty fascinating that some people are sure that Grealish would be great for us. I am pretty certain that we wouldn't improve our goalscoring with him, we would probably change from 54 goals a season team to a 51 goals a season team and more posession based team that draws lot of fouls.

I mean, City broke Bayern and Real Madrid through their pressing and Graelish was absolutely key to that. It's why he(and Bernardo) played those games and were never subbed off

Carvajal has been exceptional for Real Madrid between 2013 and 2017 he was arguably the best RWB in the world. His level dropped afterwards but he was still pretty damn good in 21/22, had a fantastic game in the CL final, and he's been exceptional this season again
Carvajal has been very good player, but I wouldn't say he was the best RB in the world for long period, because in those seasons the likes of Lahm, Alves, Juanfran, all played at very high level.

But my point isn't that anyway, my point is that if you out any other good fullback instead of him and Real Madrid wins everything they've won with Carvajal too, simply because they had so many better and more important players than him.

tomaldinho1

Beyond a simple look at the players Guardiola employed, or the signing he specifically asked for?

No, it is you who is crucially ignoring the fact that Haaland has 74 goals in 82 appearances for City - and that's with him struggling for fitness and being below his standards this season. Last season he had 52 in 53. There is no conceivable stylistical or tactical preference that would justify not wanting this player on your team

The first thing he asked Bayern upon signing his contract was to sign Lewandowski. At City he had Aguero and he still wanted Gabriel Jesus - a highly touted young striker. After Aguero aged out and Gabriel Jesus failed to make the role his, they spent a summer chasing Kane then signed Haaland

Doku and Graelish were signed because they were precisely the profile of wide forward player Guardiola wants. Graelish failing to work out as that player type is why they signed Doku, at that
I already clarified the dribbling point, so that quote doesn’t back your point up. There’s a difference between Iniesta (world class dribbler) and Messi (world class dribbler) in the same way I explained to you already re Foden vs Doku but you have ignored.

Im not sure what you didn’t understand, I get Haaland scores loads of goals but the profile of player he is seems at odds with the usual type of player Pep likes. Nothing much else to that, I see nothing you’ve written in the text wall which proves anything. I don’t even think Grealish hasn’t worked out, he’s kind of fulfilling the role the recruitment team probably foresaw him doing.

marktan

I’ve always thought Grealish would have suited us much more than he does city. Villa asked us for 80mil for him the season before city bought him, which is why we ended up with Donny van de beek instead.

I reckon we’d of got him for about 60mil and he would have been much better than Donny.
Same season we signed Sancho no? I did argue quite a lot that Grealish would've been a better signing for us, and I still maintain that. Grealish and Burno I think would've worked together well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I already clarified the dribbling point, so that quote doesn’t back your point up. There’s a difference between Iniesta (world class dribbler) and Messi (world class dribbler) in the same way I explained to you already re Foden vs Doku but you have ignored.
Doku is a world class dribbler. Exactly what Guardiola wants in a wide forward. Him taking too many risks for Guardiola's taste is an entirely different matter - and that is something that can be coached. If he doesn't work it's not because he doesn't fit the profile, it's because he wasn't good enough. Guardiola wants elite dribblers - that's his type of wing forward > Doku is an elite dribbler wing forward > Doku is a Guardiola type player

Im not sure what you didn’t understand, I get Haaland scores loads of goals but the profile of player he is seems at odds with the usual type of player Pep likes
Guardiola likes strikers who score a lot of goals. Haaland scores at rates matching and even outstripping Messi.

This is what i meant when I say him getting his breakout job with Messi warped perception. Barcelona wasn't Guardiola's "ideal type of team" in any realistic way, because Barcelona had Messi. Since "having one of the 3 best players to ever live" is not a particularly replicable stylistic/tactical choice, we have to look to his work at Bayern and now City to gain an understanding of the type of players and skillsets Guardiola prizes.

I don’t even think Grealish hasn’t worked out, he’s kind of fulfilling the role the recruitment team probably foresaw him doing.
You think they spent that kind of money for a guy who struggled to nail a starting spot and whose prominence with the team rose thanks to his work off the ball? The same guy who was signed off the back of being one of the league's best attacking playmakers?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It's pretty fascinating that some people are sure that Grealish would be great for us. I am pretty certain that we wouldn't improve our goalscoring with him, we would probably change from 54 goals a season team to a 51 goals a season team and more posession based team that draws lot of fouls.
At Villa, he topped the charts with Bruno for number of chances created in the PL. Hojlund wouldn't be feeding off scraps if he had a LW who actually looked up and passed occasionally.

tomaldinho1

Doku is a world class dribbler. Exactly what Guardiola wants in a wide forward. Him taking too many risks for Guardiola's taste is an entirely different matter - and that is something that can be coached. If he doesn't work it's not because he doesn't fit the profile, it's because he wasn't good enough. Guardiola wants elite dribblers - that's his type of wing forward > Doku is an elite dribbler wing forward > Doku is a Guardiola type player

Guardiola likes strikers who score a lot of goals. Haaland scores at rates matching and even outstripping Messi.

This is what i meant when I say him getting his breakout job with Messi warped perception. Barcelona wasn't Guardiola's "ideal type of team" in any realistic way, because Barcelona had Messi. Since "having one of the 3 best players to ever live" is not a particularly replicable stylistic/tactical choice, we have to look to his work at Bayern and now City to gain an understanding of the type of players and skillsets Guardiola prizes.

You think they spent that kind of money for a guy who struggled to nail a starting spot and whose prominence with the team rose thanks to his work off the ball? The same guy who was signed off the back of being one of the league's best attacking playmakers?
The quote from Pep about dribbling is not exclusive to that role though. He also says he wants his CBs and CMs to be able to do it because he doesn’t want any donkeys on the team.

I think more of how how he likes his midfields and thus how he needs/wants a striker to function. I do think at heart he remains a real Cruyff disciple despite evolving as he’s gone on with his career.

Grealish was pretty good last year wasn’t he. I don’t watch their games that often but from what I had seen/heard he’d been very solid. Re what they expected - they know how Pep plays and, as was my original point, I think he was a commercial signing more than what the team specifically needed. Look at the players with the biggest social media followings at City, Haaland, KDB, Foden and Grealish are the top 4. Grealish has nearly overtaken Foden since the move the City. That to me is his real value to them.

For some context Rashford has 17m insta followers, Grealish has 9m and Foden has 10m. They were heavily linked with Pacqueta - a widely followed Brazilian player (more followers than both City players) who is no doubt a good player but they were offering silly money again for a player who is around their peak and not an obvious upgrade for them. I do think there is a push now from the club to bring in more ‘stars’ as they look to push for more international fans.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Yeah, he wanted one of the very best strikers of the last 15 years
He wanted Kane, a much older and very different kind of striker, over Haaland and got the latter because buying the former wasn't possible. Why? If he wanted only a great striker, why would he prefer the older and more expensive option?

He obviously sees some advantage in having a 9, otherwise he wouldn't have bought Haaland and would line up a team with only AMs, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't prefer a more link-up involved player on the position(one who obviously is world class and can score agoals, differently of Jesus and the like, before you say).

Things are not black or white.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He wanted Kane, a much older and very different kind of striker, over Haaland and got the latter because buying the former wasn't possible. Why? If he wanted only a great striker, why would he prefer the older and more expensive option?
No. He wanted Kane in 2021 because Kane was potentially available in 2021 and Haaland wasn't. He wanted a striker for the 20/21 season. That's it. For fecks sake, once Kane fell through they tried signing a 38 year old Cristiano Ronaldo. They signed Haaland in '22 because he was available. Same thing

He obviously sees some advantage in having a 9, otherwise he wouldn't have bought Haaland and would line up a team with only AMs, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't prefer a more link-up involved player on the position(one who obviously is world class and can score agoals, differently of Jesus and the like, before you say).

Things are not black or white.
It's a meaningless distinction when it comes to a guy who scores as much as Haaland. Beyond that, inferring that Guardiola would prefer a guy who gets more involved in linking up play, contributing to the team's play on the ball in significant ways while scoring a shitload of goals is also pretty meaningless. Which manager wouldn't?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As a head coach you won't say no to player like Kane, Mbappe, Haaland or Bellingham. You adjust your tactics to fit them in, just like what Ancelotti does in Real Madrid.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
It's a meaningless distinction when it comes to a guy who scores as much as Haaland. Beyond that, inferring that Guardiola would prefer a guy who gets more involved in linking up play, contributing to the team's play on the ball in significant ways while scoring a shitload of goals is also pretty meaningless. Which manager wouldn't?
I dIdn't mean a version of Halaand with Zidane skills, but one who could conciliate great goal scoring with great link up skills. Don't dissimulate like this, please.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
At Villa, he topped the charts with Bruno for number of chances created in the PL. Hojlund wouldn't be feeding off scraps if he had a LW who actually looked up and passed occasionally.
Winning chances created imaginary league doesn't mean your team will score lot of goals, as it's already been proven with Bruno. It mostly means you have collegues who like to shot from around the box.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I dIdn't mean a version of Halaand with Zidane skills, but one who could conciliate great goal scoring with great link up skills. Don't dissimulate like this, please.
Between a guy who scores 50 goals a season and offers nothing else on the ball and a guy who scores 50 goals a season and offers something on the ball, anybody would take the latter. The point is if you have a guy who scores 50 goals a season, anything else you might get is bonus. Nobody is going to turn down Haaland because he doesn't offer enough on the ball outside of goals. A striker who scores that much is every manager's wet dream ever. That includes Guardiola. He just happened to luck out into spending his first 4 years coaching a guy who could score 50 goals a season while also being the best dribbler, ball carrier and playmaker the game had seen since Maradona. That's not "real". There is no one else like Messi right now, and the chances of Guardiola ever getting to work again with someone that good are next to none

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Also, how is it meaningless?

Halaand is elite at put himself in good positions to score and at winning physical duels againts defenders, but to that happens(goalscoring situation), the team has to create space. Having a player who can do shit regarding that, therefore having a man less to create, doesn't look pointless to me.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
I'm posting it here because I reached my post limit. This was already edited anyway because I had posted the wrong message.

Yes, having a player who can make stuff happen by himself is better than not having a player who can't make stuff happen by himself. What exactly are you trying to argue here? We started from "Haaland is not Guardiola's type because control" to which I replied with "Haaland is every manager's ever type of player because he scores a goal a game". Are you trying to give a rebuttal to that, or what? I'm not clear on that
The point is very simple:

Why do you buy a new striker(considering a team in City situation)? To make your team score more goals, right?

If you get a absolutely elite goalscorer, one of the best of all-time, and you goal tally don't upgrade that much, what does it mean?

1 - Your team are creating less or worse
2 - Your striker isn't as good finisher as you thought

More likely the option 1, so Halaand goalscoring is compensating the worse general production. The question is: did putting Halaand on the team make the playmaking worse or was the team production already fading before him? If you think it's the first, so yes, getting Halaand is not exactly the every manager's dream.

When you're creating, you are cornering the other team, then you have more control over the game.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Also, how is it meaningless?

Halaand is elite at put himself in good positions to score and at winning physical duels againts defenders, but to that happens(goalscoring situation), the team has to create space. Having a player who can do shit regarding that, therefore having a man less to create, doesn't look pointless to me.
Yes, having a player who can make stuff happen by himself is better than not having a player who can't make stuff happen by himself. What exactly are you trying to argue here? We started from "Haaland is not Guardiola's type because control" to which I replied with "Haaland is every manager's ever type of player because he scores a goal a game". Are you trying to give a rebuttal to that, or what? I'm not clear on that

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Haaland just scored 5 goals in a game made this discussion extremely funny.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm posting it here because I reached my post limit.

The point is very simple:

Why do you buy a new striker(considering a team in City situation)? To make your team score more goals, right?

If you get a absolutely elite goalscorer, one of the best of all-time, and you goal tally don't upgrade that much, what does it mean?

1 - Your team are creating less or worse
2 - Your striker wasn't as good finisher as you thought

More likely the option 1, so Halaand goalscoring is compensating the worse general production. The question is: did putting Halaand on the team make the playmaking worse or was the team production already fading before him? If you think it's the first, so yes, getting Halaand is not exactly the every manager's dream.

When you're creating, you are cornering the other team, then you have more control over the game. Also, being less dependent on one player is better.
City went from playing 3 - sometimes even 2 - defenders, plus Cancelo and a bunch of high scoring forwards, to playing 4 defenders, and putting 2 guys on the wing whose job was "press, track back, and make space for the Haaland-KDB two man game". They could do that and still field a world destroying attack because they had a guy who makes scoring goals so much easier. City had Gabriel Jesus - a guy who does everything other than scoring at an really high level - and he could never win the starting job. They then sold and replaced him with a guy who scores goals and does very little else. This guys is undroppable, even as they have another guy who does a lot of things really well and even appears to be a potentially elite goalscorer

What Guardiola wants from his main striker, the one constant, deal breaking skill, is scoring lots of goals. Anything beyond that is essentially gilding. If you have that, you get to play for Guardiola. If you don't, you won't play much for Guardiola. That simple. At no point during his managerial career has Guardiola not valued goal scoring above any other consideration

Same applies to dribbling, though here it's to a lesser degree since dribbling isn't as important as goals. He might drop an elite dribbler for a player that gives more control. He's still going to want a player who can offer both though, and only one of those skills is coachable...

ForeverRed1

Same season we signed Sancho no? I did argue quite a lot that Grealish would've been a better signing for us, and I still maintain that. Grealish and Burno I think would've worked together well.
I agree, I think he suits how we play wingers, how we have always played wingers, with freedom and excitement.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Winning chances created imaginary league doesn't mean your team will score lot of goals, as it's already been proven with Bruno. It mostly means you have collegues who like to shot from around the box.
I assume you're being flippant as anyone who watched Grealish at Villa could see that he was excellent at putting chances on a plate for his attackers, and he did it with regularity. I watched most of Villa's games during the 20/21 season as all PL games were televised (and we were in lockdown so there was nothing else to do except watch football) and he was clearly the most creative player on the pitch in almost all those games. He was also an outstanding dribbler - which is something that Pep has drilled out of him unfortunately.

croadyman

Feels like he would have had a significantly bigger impact at Utd,however he wouldn't have a treble tucked away in the back pocket

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
City went from playing 3 - sometimes even 2 - defenders, plus Cancelo and a bunch of high scoring forwards, to playing 4 defenders, and putting 2 guys on the wing whose job was "press, track back, and make space for the Haaland-KDB two man game". They could do that and still field a world destroying attack because they had a guy who makes scoring goals so much easier. City had Gabriel Jesus - a guy who does everything other than scoring at an really high level - and he could never win the starting job. They then sold and replaced him with a guy who scores goals and does very little else. This guys is undroppable, even as they have another guy who does a lot of things really well and even appears to be a potentially elite goalscorer

What Guardiola wants from his main striker, the one constant, deal breaking skill, is scoring lots of goals. Anything beyond that is essentially gilding. If you have that, you get to play for Guardiola. If you don't, you won't play much for Guardiola. That simple. At no point during his managerial career has Guardiola not valued goal scoring above any other consideration

Same applies to dribbling, though here it's to a lesser degree since dribbling isn't as important as goals. He might drop an elite dribbler for a player that gives more control. He's still going to want a player who can offer both though, and only one of those skills is coachable...
And how exactly that made them a better team? They aren't scoring more or conceding less; aren't controlling games as they did before. Yeah, they won UCL, but not because they played better; it was just that they were more fortunate in crucial moments, like the final.

Every trainer's dream is to have their team scoring more, but I don't know if they see any advantage in having their team scoring the same, but with the numbers concentrated in a player.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I assume you're being flippant as anyone who watched Grealish at Villa could see that he was excellent at putting chances on a plate for his attackers, and he did it with regularity. I watched most of Villa's games during the 20/21 season as all PL games were televised (and we were in lockdown so there was nothing else to do except watch football) and he was clearly the most creative player on the pitch in almost all those games. He was also an outstanding dribbler - which is something that Pep has drilled out of him unfortunately.
Being good dribbler at smaller team has been easier for many players, simply because you are are not double teamed any time you want to dribble and there is far more space on the counter too.

Pep drilling dribbling out of someone is laughable, he was benched by players like Doku and Foden who are direct dribblers and often lose the ball because they are too direct, and yet Pep plays them these days ahead of him. Doku is statistically the best dribbler in the league, why would Pep drill that out of someone playing that same position? And why didn't the drill it out of Doku?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And how exactly that made them a better team? They aren't scoring more or conceding less; aren't controlling games as they did before. Yeah, they won UCL, but not because they played better; it was just that they were more fortunate in crucial moments, like the final.

Every trainer's dream is to have their team scoring more, but I don't know if they see any advantage in having their team scoring the same, but with the numbers concentrated in a player.
Clearly City do, since they signed the guy, play him as much as they can, and appear highly motivated to keep him at the club

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Being good dribbler at smaller team has been easier for many players, simply because you are are not double teamed any time you want to dribble and there is far more space on the counter too.

Pep drilling dribbling out of someone is laughable, he was benched by players like Doku and Foden who are direct dribblers and often lose the ball because they are too direct, and yet Pep plays them these days ahead of him. Doku is statistically the best dribbler in the league, why would Pep drill that out of someone playing that same position? And why didn't the drill it out of Doku?
Yep. Graelish was signed precisely because of his dribbling, make no mistake. They just realized his dribbling skill is highly dependent on situation, and at City, he was asked to use it in a way that it didn't translate. He's a dynamic/transition dribbler/ball carrier. City often attack against set, positional defences, with the wide forward receiving ball to his feet and having to run at the defender from a standing start, and he lacks the burst and agility for it

City signed Graelish hoping to get a Hazard, and ended up with a smart, technically great water carrier. They made it work, but he's still a water carrier and they still want a Hazard

Sylar

Defo, especially the way Ole wanted to play. Grealish would have been out on the left (as we saw his link up with Shaw in the Euros which was good). Think VDB was an odd 'replacement' purchase compared to Grealish, because they were completely different players (sorta like how we got Casemiro because we couldnt get DeJong).
Grealish also reminds me of when Joe Cole went to Chelsea under Jose. He had to play a certain style, against what he was doing for his previous team, and criticized cos he 'couldnt do it' in a winning team

Of course, theres every chance he would have still been seen as a flop for us, just due to the way we have been structured the last ten or so years, where weve seen numerous players and managers fall short and eventually get into bad habits.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Clearly City do, since they signed the guy, play him as much as they can, and appear highly motivated to keep him at the club
Maybe Guardiola thought he could convert Haaland into a more participative 9(was Lewandowski as involved in creation before Pep? I'm really asking, didn't follow much Bundesliga back then).

Also, when you have one of the three biggest names in football breaking goalscoring records, you can't just sack him from the team regardless of what you think about the performance, especially if your team still good enough to win trophies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If he had a season like last season at Utd, he’d be given a new 300k per week 5 year contract, just shows the ruthless standards at City and other leading clubs, we entertain bums like Martial and Maguire for years and even reward them after a few decent games.
:lol:

Rossa

It's interesting that many argue about chances created for Grealish in defense for his rather limited showing in terms of assists and goals during his time at City. What does actually chances created mean if they are not converted into goals? KDB plays in the same side and is able to deliver four assists in one game to one player. They play with the same players. I just find it a rather strange argument. You could argue the case for Bruno considering no other player at United is close to producing the same amount of chances or assists. However, when playing for City where there are an abundance of quality players and creators, the only standout arguments are that he draws a good amount of fouls (many of which belong in theatres for acting) and chances created, though not converted.

I think a much more interesting argument is how can he create so many chances but so few are converted? Lack of quality in that final ball perhaps...

Hammondo

The luxury of having options...Pep is a very privileged manager.

He might be more willing to give Grealish game time if his alternative options were Antony or Forson hehe.
The difference is how they have spent it, we have Sancho and Antony not playing and they were expensive.

Hammondo

It's interesting that many argue about chances created for Grealish in defense for his rather limited showing in terms of assists and goals during his time at City. What does actually chances created mean if they are not converted into goals? KDB plays in the same side and is able to deliver four assists in one game to one player. They play with the same players. I just find it a rather strange argument. You could argue the case for Bruno considering no other player at United is close to producing the same amount of chances or assists. However, when playing for City where there are an abundance of quality players and creators, the only standout arguments are that he draws a good amount of fouls (many of which belong in theatres for acting) and chances created, though not converted.

I think a much more interesting argument is how can he create so many chances but so few are converted? Lack of quality in that final ball perhaps...
Exactly, not everyone can be the final pass on chances, there are good attacking players who benefit the team before that final pass. Though i think he's not good enough for city, he has his strengths.

Hammondo

I hate that kind of argument. How many goals he scores is irrelevant, how many goals the team scores is what matters and having an individual score a lot of goals can be a sign of a problem.

They scored more goals the season before without a striker.