Jack Grealish | Man City

whitbyviking

Not my intention, just feels like a lot to be keeping around at home.

The amount that got stolen is a bit inconsequential as I'm guessing insurance will look after it. Something like that is traumatic regardless of the amount taken.
Could quite easily be less than 5-10 items for that kind of money with the type of watches and jewellery super rich people have access too. Couple of watches and a few other bits and pieces wouldn't be a lot for him to have at home I'd imagine.

ForeverRed1

I’d love him here and reckon we’d suit him more. If we sell rashford he would be one of the names we should consider. Doubt that will ever happen though.

Kvara from Napoli is the other.

Lynty

Probably worth investing in replicas to fool would be thieves
Agreed. I'm pretty certain that this does happen, high quality replicas are placed for easy access, so thieves do smash and grabs and leave quickly. Then push a story about watches stolen etc. to make them think it was successful.

Thing is, the burglars won't care either, they're not exactly going to check the authenticity at the local Patek dealer. If the watches are staying in the UK, the value is probably the same to the thieves regardless if it was rep or gen.

To be honest, some of these replica's are so good, I wouldn't be able to tell without holding and inspecting it closely.

Rossa

Pep's quotes:

"I cannot give players three or four games to get their rhythm," added Guardiola. "They have to find the rhythm to play for 20 minutes or 90.

"At a high level, the team don't wait to be fit. You cannot give someone three or four games to be fit. What about the 10 who don't play? They deserve not to play?

Compare that to how Rashford has been playing and the leeway he's been given...

Also, accounting for Grealish's fee, would you guys consider him a flop all things considered?

TheGame

Pep's quotes:

"I cannot give players three or four games to get their rhythm," added Guardiola. "They have to find the rhythm to play for 20 minutes or 90.

"At a high level, the team don't wait to be fit. You cannot give someone three or four games to be fit. What about the 10 who don't play? They deserve not to play?

Also, accounting for Grealish's fee, would you guys consider him a flop all things considered?
Pep has plenty of options, he can play Foden there and there is better quality. With United, there is no decent challenge to Rashford and he’s had plenty of criticism from all sides this season and has been dropped.

I wouldn’t call Grealish a flop as that is harsh however I’m sure he would have wanted to be a main starter by now.

simplyared

Definately a flop. They have so many better options than him. Surprised he's been given the game time he's had. Probably because Pep likes him. Keeps the squad laughing! Kalvin Phillips he obviously didn't like!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Reminder he was a key player and undroppable in every big game down the stretch in their treble season

tomaldinho1

Pep has plenty of options, he can play Foden there and there is better quality. With United, there is no decent challenge to Rashford and he’s had plenty of criticism from all sides this season and has been dropped.

I wouldn’t call Grealish a flop as that is harsh however I’m sure he would have wanted to be a main starter by now.
I always wonder if he was a bit more of a commercial signing from them. City's issue, despite their success, is their global fanbase estimates are tiny and much of that is you look at their squad and whilst there are great players, there's about as much personality there as looking at a wooden plank (this isn't unique to them, football is suffering in general given how players are media trained/live so professionally but I'd say they are at the more extreme end). That, I guess, is one of the downsides to Pep's football as a spectator, it is methodical and risk adverse. With Grealish he has a huge younger domestic fanbase and it was telling when they won the treble* the coverage was about 99% Grealish drinking vs 1% the actual achievement. He's a very good player but his role in that team is quite limiting for the ability he has. That is the price he, or any player, pays to win the big trophies.

Recent signings like Haaland (a very un Pep like player) and Doku (again, not the type of player I would associate with Pep) somewhat back this idea up. Maybe there is a bit of a shift, deliberately, in them trying to be more 'entertaining' and have more 'stars'.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You're only as good as your last game

Plus, "no one cares about City"

So your point is irrelevant on here
I mean, I get it. They dropped 100M on an attacking player to have a guy who tracks back and presses really good. He's basically Antony, in a way. Only, you know, he was a key player, in that role, and seemingly indispensable for them on their way to a treble...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Recent signings like Haaland (a very un Pep like player) and Doku (again, not the type of player I would associate with Pep) somewhat back this idea up. Maybe there is a bit of a shift, deliberately, in them trying to be more 'entertaining' and have more 'stars'.
People have such a warped, wrong perception of Guardiola and all because in his first and biggest/most successful/legacy-making job he had the luck of coaching Messi

Doku is 100% a "Guardiola" type of player. So is Haaland for that matter, though in his case it's less to do with skillset and more to do with "a guy who averages a goal a game is every manager's type of player. Duh"

redNATION

If he had a season like last season at Utd, he’d be given a new 300k per week 5 year contract, just shows the ruthless standards at City and other leading clubs, we entertain bums like Martial and Maguire for years and even reward them after a few decent games.

Crimson King

Pep's quotes:

I'm not sure he's a flop, but he he's never been as good as some people tried to make out. I'm also not sure he's really 'committed' to being a footballer, given he likes to enjoy himself more often than he probably should.

He was probably never worth that fee, but then we live in a world where Antony cost over £80m a year later...

tomaldinho1

People have such a warped, wrong perception of Guardiola and all because in his first and biggest/most successful/legacy-making job he had the luck of coaching Messi

Doku is 100% a "Guardiola" type of player. So is Haaland for that matter, though in his case it's less to do with skillset and more to do with "a guy who averages a goal a game is every manager's type of player. Duh"
Despite your know-it-all tone, extremely strange for a subjective matter unless you are Pep himself, I will reply. I simply disagree. I believe Pep has an idea of how he wants the game to be played, it's not tiki taka (well, maybe in a perfect world that is what he would want) but point me to the 9's he has signed throughout his career. Ibra was a disaster, Villa got moved wide, he wanted Kane (a very different profile to Haaland), the role Haaland has is not conducive to having control of a game in the same way a forward who drops deeper would allow.

Doku is an elite dribbler, there have been articles on him and the chaos he brings (as a positive) but he gives the ball away a lot. The Athletic literally wrote an article specifically on this point because versus Pool he was both brilliant and awful on the ball.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If he had a season like last season at Utd, he’d be given a new 300k per week 5 year contract, just shows the ruthless standards at City and other leading clubs, we entertain bums like Martial and Maguire for years and even reward them after a few decent games.
To be fair Maguire has been great for Utd.

Grealish isn't a flop. This just reflects the high standard required to start for City and also the quality of their bench options. Even Mahrez was in and out of the team before.

RuudTom83

The luxury of having options...Pep is a very privileged manager.

He might be more willing to give Grealish game time if his alternative options were Antony or Forson hehe.

Rossa

I'm not sure he's a flop, but he he's never been as good as some people tried to make out. I'm also not sure he's really 'committed' to being a footballer, given he likes to enjoy himself more often than he probably should.

He was probably never worth that fee, but then we live in a world where Antony cost over £80m a year later...
Reading the first paragraph I thought you seemed like a nice and sensible bloke. Then came the second. You just had to bring up Antony!!!!

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mean, I get it. They dropped 100M on an attacking player to have a guy who tracks back and presses really good. He's basically Antony, in a way. Only, you know, he was a key player, in that role, and seemingly indispensable for them on their way to a treble...
I kinda feel like Grealish's performances last season were overblown, to an extent because the previous season had been so hit and miss - he hit good form in the run-in and he was important to them, but he wasn't quite the talisman I feel the media tried to make out. Though of course that's massively biased by the fact he's British. He had a good season, but not quite as good as was being made out.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
No need for Pep to worry, cuz if he bellyflops he can just bomb him out for a fiver and spend another cool £100m on a replacement without breaking a sweat. Pep‘s got options like that.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
No need for Pep to worry, cuz if he bellyflops he can just bomb him out for a fiver and spend another cool £100m on a replacement without breaking a sweat. Pep‘s got options like that.
Man City has been able to get good money for the players they sold. Also Utd does spend big on players as well, just on the wrong player most of the time though.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I don't think Pep is the ideal coach for a player of Jack's profile.

Pep kills all of the flair and individuality such players naturally possess with his micromanagement and super strict and highly restricted tactical instructions in possession.

Grealish has always been a bit of a maverick. As an LW at Aston Villa, his main qualities were his effortless ball carrying and drawing fouls. He ran at the opponents and they could never get the ball off him without committing a foul. At Aston Villa, along with way more freedom he also had more space to run into because Dean Smith played much more of a low block/counter attacking system. Grealish is a bit underrated as an athlete and thrived in this system where he was the star and the main man.

His shooting and final ball was better at Villa. Under Pep, he's much more of a boring LW who stays wide - close to the touchline, retains possession and recycles the ball for a simple backpass/ sideways pass. Pep uses him to create more space and attacking scenarios for the main attackers/midfielders. Bit of a decoy player.

Grealish has never been a G/A, numbers sort of player. The best you can hope from him is a 10 G/10 A kinda season. At big clubs, he'll never be the main man with those numbers. At Villa, he was the type of Footballer where numbers didn't do justice to his actual impact.

He might have won the lot with City, but feels like he has regressed individually a little bit and lost what made him special. Pep has had a negative influence on his game.

Amongst the big English clubs, I believe he suits United and Spurs the best. The kind of personality and image he has would be well recieved at the Old Trafford. On the other hand, I feel he could have thrived at Spurs a bit like Maddison is right now.

Overall, I think he needs to finish this season strongly and then look for a move away from City and Pep. That'd be the best for him, his England career and overall legacy.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a quality player, it’s just the robotic, systematic, synthetic nature of City means he is required to fill a specific, methodical role, when he was always at his best being free to express himself on the ball.

He would have been a hit at a club where that sort of thing is allowed. I wish we had him here

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Biggest flop in the league after Antony in recent years. Mount could overtake him if it stays like this to be fair.

Reminder he was a key player and undroppable in every big game down the stretch in their treble season
Same as Carvajal was for Real Madrid's CL titles, they had no one better there.

It was his best season for City in top form, and he wasn't even in their top5 players. Pep tried literally 5 different, some of them unknown. players in his position this years. If he was key I am sure Pep would try to play him into form than play guy named Bobb ahead of him.

Zen

Biggest flop in the league after Antony in recent years. Mount could overtake him if it stays like this to be fair.
What's your criteria for this exactly?

Chelsea have signed and loaned out Lukaku twice in that time, Mudryk, Fofana who's never played due to injury among others who you could easily make the argument for, as well as United signing Antony and Sancho, that's before we look at the price ranges of Mount etc.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Pep kills all of the flair and individuality such players naturally possess with his micromanagement and super strict and highly restricted tactical instructions in possession.
I am not sure if this is true. Put Messi aside, even Mahrez did well in Pep's strict system. Mahrez's best stats for City is 11G9A in 2019-20 in EPL. Mahrez is never the main man in City's system as well. Doku plays well for City as well.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What's your criteria for this exactly?

Chelsea have signed and loaned out Lukaku twice in that time, Mudryk, Fofana who's never played due to injury among others who you could easily make the argument for, as well as United signing Antony and Sancho, that's before we look at the price ranges of Mount etc.
Criteria that I totally ignored Chelsea players as irrelevant. :lol:

Antony and Mount I counted, it's still too early for Mount, but as I said, he could easily end up worse. Regarding Sancho, I was convinced he was signed few years earlier than Grealish. In my defence, Grealish has scored total of 2 goals more than Sancho.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Grealish does not start over Doku/Foden in the LW position for City doesn't mean he is a flop. He is still good enough to start for almost every team in EPL.

Zen

Doku lives off of 1 game to be fair. He's the flop here.

Apokalips

How is Grealish not a flop, but someone like Pogba is seen as one?

Grealish cost 100m and has had minimal impact at City outside of a good few months, at least Pogba made the team of the season before. Clearly different standards they are held to, despite Grealish being the more expensive player.

Righteous Steps

He should have reinvented his game into being a number 8 a long time ago, his lack of pace and contribution in the final third was always going to hold him back from being a truly world class wide player.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Despite your know-it-all tone, extremely strange for a subjective matter unless you are Pep himself, I will reply. I simply disagree.
An you are wrong. The one constant Guardiola has always, always emphasized, in terms of requested transfers, and pretty much every single time he spoke on the subject, is having great dribblers up top. That's Doku. Alexis Sanchez, Douglas Costa, Coman, Sane, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva*, Sterling, Graelish the one thing they all had on common is the atrribute that immediately jumped out about them was dribbling

Ibra was a disaster, Villa got moved wide
We're back to "he had Messi"

he wanted Kane (a very different profile to Haaland),
Yeah, he wanted one of the very best strikers of the last 15 years

the role Haaland has is not conducive to having control of a game in the same way a forward who drops deeper would allow.
And Guardiola would care about that....why? If he didn't want Haaland City don't sign him and he doesn't play every game he's fit. You're right that Guardiola puts a premium on having control and Haaland is not conducive to that. Refer to my previous post on the subject of Haaland though

Doku is an elite dribbler, there have been articles on him and the chaos he brings (as a positive) but he gives the ball away a lot.
Doku not being quite good enough for what Guardiola might want and Doku not being the type of player Guardiola wants are two different things

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I kinda feel like Grealish's performances last season were overblown, to an extent because the previous season had been so hit and miss - he hit good form in the run-in and he was important to them, but he wasn't quite the talisman I feel the media tried to make out. Though of course that's massively biased by the fact he's British. He had a good season, but not quite as good as was being made out.
I mean, City broke Bayern and Real Madrid through their pressing and Graelish was absolutely key to that. It's why he(and Bernardo) played those games and were never subbed off
Same as Carvajal was for Real Madrid's CL titles, they had no one better there.
Carvajal has been exceptional for Real Madrid between 2013 and 2017 he was arguably the best RWB in the world. His level dropped afterwards but he was still pretty damn good in 21/22, had a fantastic game in the CL final, and he's been exceptional this season again

tomaldinho1

An you are wrong. The one constant Guardiola has always, always emphasized, in terms of requested transfers, and pretty much every single time he spoke on the subject, is having great DRIBBLERS up top. That's Doku.

We're back to "he had Messi"

Yeah, he wanted one of the very best strikers of the last 15 years. Fancy that...

And Guardiola would care about that....why? If he didn't want Haaland City don't sign him and he doesn't play every game he's fit. You're right that Guardiola puts a premium on having control and Haaland is not conducive to that. Refer to my previous post on the subject of Haaland though

Doku not being quite good enough for what Guardiola might want and Doku not being the type of player Guardiola wants are two different things
Can you point me to any kind of proof for that? There's a difference between players like Foden and Grealish who are undoubtedly excellent dribblers and a dribbler like Doku though, he is a bit of a throwback and much happier to run at and take on his man. Looking across the top leagues you can see that impact, he's right up there with the likes of Soule, Vicinius etc. for example, he is 12th in world football for attempted dribbles with 117 with Foden, for comparison, on 77. There's a clear difference in style of player there.

You are crucially, and I assume deliberately, ignoring the context of Kane being a very different player to Haaland.

Guardiola would care about it because he genuinely cares about how teams play, he's not as fanatical as he was at Barca but there are clear principles and ideas of who the game 'should' be played. It's not exactly rocket science to think he likely has an ideal type of player in mind for every position, for years he didn't sign a 'proper' CF despite everyone saying he should and preferred the false 9/workrate striker, so it's also not rocket science to assume that type of player would be his ideal, it's just very hard to find.

Anyway, my point was Grealish, Doku and Haaland were more commercial signings and I can't see how you have disproved it. You got a bee in your bonnet about something but they are undoubtedly more individualistic players and more 'stars' in terms of their profiles and how they play the game.

Not sure what you're last sentence is about, assume you meant to reply to a different poster.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Anyway, my point was Grealish, Doku and Haaland were more commercial signings and I can't see how you have disproved it. You got a bee in your bonnet about something but they are undoubtedly more individualistic players and more 'stars' in terms of their profiles and how they play the game.
I am not sure how City transfer works but Doku is signed by Txiki Begiristain.
"
Doku’s directness seems to contradict that. He appeared, superficially at least, a very different player to Riyad Mahrez or Cole Palmer-the men he was replacing.

But the Belgian was the man sporting director Txiki Begiristain proposed when the pair left in the summer.

“We spoke over the years and when Riyad left and Cole wanted to leave, we needed a winger, and we had two or three options, but the Club decided mainly,” Guardiola explained.

“Txiki and his people were talking with me and [assistant coach] Juanma [Lillo] and they decided this is the guy we need."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakgar...hester-city-player-under-pep/?sh=2b9d4cb669e0

Both Pep and Henry said it before Pep doesn't mind player takes risk and create chaos in the game, but only when it is on the 18 yard box.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pogba was far better for us than Grealish has been for City.
Grealish was sensational for Villa the season before he went to City.
It's unbelievable how average he looks for them. Yet oddly he got into dream teams over Rashy when he had that massive season 2 years ago.