Jack Grealish | Man City

Hughes35

He's a try hard "oooh look at me, I'm a LAAAAAAD" cnut. Any other player and they'd be getting so much bad press for it. Imagine if this was a Rashford, Sancho, Sterling, Saka, etc.
I said this the other day. Rooney had a pint and a cigar on holiday a few years ago and got slated.

No idea why City and Grealish are so loved in the media........ Oh yea, cash.

https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...-best-week-of-his-life-manchester-city-treble

The fact that you think he’s getting bad press, shows what media you consume, and makes so much sense now.

Grealish is just an affable and likeable fella. No depth. Humble. Unpretentious and probably living the kind of life that 99% of lads growing up would want. Generally it’s the 1% that make it. That’s why his behaviour is loveable and compelling. He’s almost the anti-corporate footballer.

I delight in it. He’s talented, works his dick off, and is enjoying his rewards. Wouldn’t be my mate, but I’d have a cracking holiday with him. He’s Vardy-Esque. There’s NOTHING try hard about him. That’s why he’s loved.
Funny you say that because Vardy is a complete bell end in real life.

dal

Who doesn't have a drink problem (over the recommended government allowance) in their 20's, he just doesn't care. I'm sure there are many others who do this but don't make it so obvious. I remember Keane saying he had a huge problem with it also and played one game in his 20's still drunk as did Rio.

There's a long way to go to get like Gazza.

Withnail

All of them do the things Grealish is doing only that they're hiding it.

Do you really think that most football players(basically most successful men) don't drink, don't do a line here and there? They just hide it and then go the "I don't drink stuff" in interviews.

I don't get why the feck people care anyway, as long as he's playing well he could blow his head off in his private life.

Nobody complained when Wayne was drinking day in-day out, Lamps smoking a pack a day, etc. Do Inter fans piss at Brozovic for being a heavy smoker but still outrunning all the midfielders in the uCL?
Rooney had a serious drinking problem and it likely curtailed his career at the top. Maybe somebody should have complained. Fergie had to have known about it.

This is fairly grim and Grealish, as much as I think he's a moron, is nowhere near this level.

“There were times you would get a couple of days off from football and I would actually lock myself away and just drink to try to take all that away from my mind,” he said.

“It was like a binge. Normally, that’s with a group of lads but this was a self-binge … I would sit in the house and for two days I would just drink.

“People might know that I liked a drink at times or went out, but there was a lot more to it than just that. It was what was going on in my head. It was just a buildup of everything ... pressure of playing for your country, for United, some of the stuff which came out in the newspapers about my personal life, just trying to deal with all that pressure which builds up.”

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, what's going on with his this season? I would say he was pretty lucky to be part of such a City team last season, but I am not surprised he didn't get going yet this season. Even last season he was pretty average for half of the season. It's what, third month into a season and did he do anything this year?

I guess he would be equal disappointed as Sancho if he signed for us, especially as he would compete with Rashford.

FriedClams

The fact that nothing has been made of his lack of playing time in the media puzzles me.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So, what's going on with his this season? I would say he was pretty lucky to be part of such a City team last season, but I am not surprised he didn't get going yet this season. Even last season he was pretty average for half of the season. It's what, third month into a season and did he do anything this year?

I guess he would be equal disappointed as Sancho if he signed for us, especially as he would compete with Rashford.
The fact that nothing has been made of his lack of playing time in the media puzzles me.
He was injured.

T_Model101

Has he played at all this season?
Wiki says 5 games
Has he lost his place to Doku?
Nevertheless, I suspect Citeh to sell him back to Villa at the end of the season for £75M

Sylar

Reckon he would have suited ole more. Think he might have had more freedom which would have worked and he did seem to have a good relationship with Shaw for England just before that in the euros.

Though I'm sure ole wanted him instead of vdb and maybe we would have seen him behind the striker?

KeanoMagicHat

There is nothing to this at all. He played reasonably well in the first three games. Then he got injured for a month. Eased back from injury. It's 8 games into the league season. The season is two months old, he was injured for a month.

Taribo's Gap

Has he played at all this season?
Wiki says 5 games
Has he lost his place to Doku?
Nevertheless, I suspect Citeh to sell him back to Villa at the end of the season for £75M
He did have an injury, but he has also played some. He just hasn't been particularly good in the minutes he has been given this season, before or after the injury. This is something that was already starting at the tail end of last season when he himself admits he was quite poor in a number of the games at the business end of the season.

Following the World Cup, he redeemed himself after a slow first year and slow start to last season, but he seems to be in a funk at the moment. The biggest gripe right now is that he seems short of confidence and he does not even try, let alone succeed at beating a man. End product and incisiveness are not there, but he's never been particularly outstanding in this regard at City and his control of the ball and drawing of fouls were deemed sufficiently valuable in that good stretch last season. He seems to be playing rather safely and predictably and is thus easier to defend. His shots get blocked a lot and he's not posing much of a threat down the line, so defenders can anticipate his actions and contain him more easily.

Patience is starting to wear though, especially with the introduction of Doku, who has been beating defenders in his sleep and even chipping in with goals and assists, which were supposed to be a weakness of his. Having Doku come in and do this has brought Jack's deficiencies into further relief. Now, he and Doku are different players and bring different things to the team, but there is a bit of added pressure and visibility now because City have been drab and toothless at times without KdB this season.

All of this notwithstanding, I thought he would still start against Arsenal because I thought it would be a battle for control and that is what he brings. That he did not even play, with Doku also starting on the bench, may be a sign of his standing right now. Still, like people have said he did have an injury and the season is young. I would start to worry if it's the same stuff in a month or two.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

He did have an injury, but he has also played some. He just hasn't been particularly good in the minutes he has been given this season, before or after the injury. This is something that was already starting at the tail end of last season when he himself admits he was quite poor in a number of the games at the business end of the season.

Following the World Cup, he redeemed himself after a slow first year and slow start to last season, but he seems to be in a funk at the moment. The biggest gripe right now is that he seems short of confidence and he does not even try, let alone succeed at beating a man. End product and incisiveness are not there, but he's never been particularly outstanding in this regard at City and his control of the ball and drawing of fouls were deemed sufficiently valuable in that good stretch last season. He's seems to be playing rather safely and predictably and is thus easier to defend. His shots get blocked a lot and he's not posing much of a threat down the line, so defenders can anticipate his actions and contain him more easily.

Patience is starting to wear though, especially with the introduction of Doku, who has been beating defenders in his sleep and even chipping in with goals and assists, which were supposed to be a weakness of his. Having Doku come in and do this has brought Jack's deficiencies into further relief. Now, he and Doku are different players and bring different things to the team, but there is a bit of added pressure and visibility now because City have been drab and toothless at times without KdB this season.

All of this notwithstanding, I thought he would still start against Arsenal because I thought it would be a battle for control and that is what he brings. That he did not even play, with Doku also starting on the bench, may be a sign of his standing right now. Still, like people have said he did have an injury and the season is young. I would start to worry if it's the same stuff in a month or two.
I think a lot of Grealish's style is to do with instructions. Pep is constantly saying in interviews he talks about him for his ability to keep the ball in tight spaces, never about his attacking potency. So it's most likely that he's been given very conservative attacking instructions. Which is a shame, the player at Villa was a menace.

Taribo's Gap

I think a lot of Grealish's style is to do with instructions. Pep is constantly saying in interviews he talks about him for his ability to keep the ball in tight spaces, never about his attacking potency. So it's most likely that he's been given very conservative attacking instructions. Which is a shame, the player at Villa was a menace.
I think so too, which is why Pep consistently played him when people were griping about this in previous seasons. It just harder to believe that he wouldn't be tasked with taking up a bit more of the creative burden with KbB out of the team. It's very sterile right now.

RuudTom83

Sancho scoring more than Grealish last season is one of the more bizarre stats.

Pep loves to favour certain wide players for a few months to only then completely switch and play the other...so it wouldn't surprise me if Jack gets the weird Pep treatment for the first half of the season this time.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He did have an injury, but he wasn't injured all the time, he was dropped for few games actually. And played just few minuted in some games too.

It's obvious that he is totally out of form.

Lyng

https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...-best-week-of-his-life-manchester-city-treble

The fact that you think he’s getting bad press, shows what media you consume, and makes so much sense now.

Grealish is just an affable and likeable fella. No depth. Humble. Unpretentious and probably living the kind of life that 99% of lads growing up would want. Generally it’s the 1% that make it. That’s why his behaviour is loveable and compelling. He’s almost the anti-corporate footballer.

I delight in it. He’s talented, works his dick off, and is enjoying his rewards. Wouldn’t be my mate, but I’d have a cracking holiday with him. He’s Vardy-Esque. There’s NOTHING try hard about him. That’s why he’s loved.
There is nothing humble about Graelish or Vardy.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He will get a game soon. Foden went missing in yet another big game. I’d have him nowhere near the first 11 if playing against decent opposition.

NZT-One

how is this class?
He could have just ignored him or cut the talk short. It isn't a big classy act but it is nice to see. Probably scenes like this happen on a regular basis with many players so he shouldn't be the Man of the Year for it but come on, it is nice.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
“As a United fan I’ve got a lot of respect for you and I’ve got a lot of respect for City as well”.

fark off

kaku06

Vulgarian
“As a United fan I’ve got a lot of respect for you and I’ve got a lot of respect for City as well”.

fark off
Yeah the first sentence is perfectly fine but the second one. Nah feck those cheating bastards.

Stacks

He could have just ignored him or cut the talk short. It isn't a big classy act but it is nice to see. Probably scenes like this happen on a regular basis with many players so he shouldn't be the Man of the Year for it but come on, it is nice.
Agreed. Footballers are humans too so I expect they will speak with regular people/fans on occasion

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Agreed. Footballers are humans too so I expect they will speak with regular people/fans on occasion
Not really. Grealish is always a player that does this and it's been noted a few times in videos where players overlook people and Grealish is always the one to take time out to speak to them. He's a good bloke beneath the facade.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not really. Grealish is always a player that does this and it's been noted a few times in videos where players overlook people and Grealish is always the one to take time out to speak to them. He's a good bloke beneath the facade.
Spot on, no doubt there are other elite players that does this sort of thing but none seem to do this as much as Grealish does, he may be a cnut on the field but off it he seems to me to be a good bloke who realizes how lucky he has been

Joel Miller

Regardless of who he does or doesn’t talk to I don’t really get the hype with him and never have, even after a good season last time out. I can’t stand the whole thing is being more concerned with drawing fouls than actually creating open play chances.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I know he got the winner but he's gone back to being very frustrating with the ball hogging and taking too many touches. I think he's holding the ball too much causxe he's under pressure from Doku but when Doku hogs the ball it is to take people on. He's a really nice guy and seems to get a bit of a pass for that but he really needs to keep pushing up the end product and more cutting edge to his game.

JuriM

I know he got the winner but he's gone back to being very frustrating with the ball hogging and taking too many touches. I think he's holding the ball too much causxe he's under pressure from Doku but when Doku hogs the ball it is to take people on. He's a really nice guy and seems to get a bit of a pass for that but he really needs to keep pushing up the end product and more cutting edge to his game.
I think the new formation and the requirement of the wingers in it, is kind of puzzling at most of your games. Doku is new and seemingly content with it. The rest are kind of inconsistent from game to game. Missing a glue guy like Gündogan was.