Jack Grealish / signs new 5 year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Great arguments, Igor.

So what should we pay for him.
Where should we play him and who should he replace up there?
I was laughing at your second comment, saying as club captain, he's failed to impact them...

Top scorer: Grealish
Top assists: Grealish
Most passes: Grealish
Most shots: Grealish
Most chances created: Grealish

I'm struggling to see where he's failed to help Aston Villa this season.
Maybe the bigger problem was the bad recruitment in the summer. Now I know Grealish has done a lot for the club (see above) this season, but I don't think he was head of recruitment either.

He's a very good player who has an average team around him.

Classical Mechanic

I was laughing at your second comment, saying as club captain, he's failed to impact them...

Top scorer: Grealish
Top assists: Grealish
Most passes: Grealish
Most shots: Grealish
Most chances created: Grealish

I'm struggling to see where he's failed to help Aston Villa this season.
Maybe the bigger problem was the bad recruitment in the summer. Now I know Grealish has done a lot for the club (see above) this season, but I don't think he was head of recruitment either.

He's a very good player who has an average team around him.
Indeed. Villa’s team is awful, apart from Grealish and McGinn it’s a Championship side. That said, Grealish’s lockdown antics and post lockdown form has been disappointin.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Would he be happy to sit on the bench most of the time. He’s the main man right now, I think he’d want to be valued more and given more assurances than we can give him.

I’m assuming Pogba stays so he’s not a starter. You’re right about being a Pereira/Lingard upgrade but I’m sure we can get someone better than them for less than Grealish. I’ve watched him more recently but I’ve also seen quite a bit of him over the last two seasons. I just don’t really buy into the hype. IMO he’s another Zaha who likes being a big fish in a small pond and would be too much of a financial risk to see if he can play at the level we want to be at.
I'm not sure either he or Zaha likes being a big fish in a small pond, Zaha especially kicked up a right fuss in the summer when he didn't get his move to a bigger club but on that players who are a big fish in a small pond can struggler to translate that form when they do get a big move so of course there's a risk

I think he'd be content with being part of the squad here as oppose to being a starter at Everton or Newcastle for example

Guess we'll have to wait and see

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You can’t argue he hasn’t helped Villa not convincingly at least but you can argue that helpings Villa and being worth £40-50m are different things.

In my mind Bruno cost us that much so surely we should be looking at a similar impact. I don’t see that happening.

Infestissumam

Maybe the bigger problem was the bad recruitment in the summer.
just like Fulham a year prior. Spending over 100m through a scattergun approach, and it obviously hasn't worked.

can't pin it on Grealish in any way, shape or form though. He has been their best performer all season and it hasn't been close.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You can’t argue he hasn’t helped Villa not convincingly at least but you can argue that helpings Villa and being worth £40-50m are different things.

In my mind Bruno cost us that much so surely we should be looking at a similar impact. I don’t see that happening.
Bruno should have cost us 300m such has his impact been on the side :lol:

Devil81

I rate him myself but he's a player I don't believe we need. I also wouldn't judge him too much on what he offers Villa, imagine having to create chances for some of the players he's currently playing with.

Some of them look Championship players at best. He some times looks like he's trying to do it all on his own and that's a heavy burden to carry.

JohnnyLaw

The biggest transfer fee paid to a championship side was 30 million pounds for Sissoko. If Villa go down in the current climate I don’t see Grealish going for a huge fee. I don’t know the first thing about economics though..

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'm not sure either he or Zaha likes being a big fish in a small pond, Zaha especially kicked up a right fuss in the summer when he didn't get his move to a bigger club but on that players who are a big fish in a small pond can struggler to translate that form when they do get a big move so of course there's a risk

I think he'd be content with being part of the squad here as oppose to being a starter at Everton or Newcastle for example

Guess we'll have to wait and see
I think we only go for him if we don’t get Sancho. I just don’t see a place for him with Pogba seemingly set to stay and commit.

We’re already in a decent position for midfield squad players. I would rather keep the 40-50 million and wait another season or two for Mejbri to make a breakthrough into to senior team.

KChucky88

Jack remind me of Bruno in his sport L days when he do do carry heavy burden on all thing and now he is much better when he is share with all players and so Jack could end up same like Bruno now

SaboTaj

Why not go for McGinn as well? :lol:

Nah seriously there's a reason Villa are where they are
Yeah, as a team they’ve been pretty poor this season. But by your logic Liverpool shouldn’t have picked up Robertson from Hull either.

I personally rate Douglas Luiz and he isn’t one of your typical destroyers playing as a DM. He is technically sound and actually quite dependable on the ball without being a liability on the defensive end.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
IF Villa do get relegated, I’d actually want us to have a good look at Douglas Luiz too. He is a tidy DM, and would play that role better than either Fred or McTominay.
Jesus fecking Christ.

Why not go for McGinn as well? :lol:

Nah seriously there's a reason Villa are where they are
Do you remember we were linked with him earlier this season for 50m :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
@FootballHQ , you are Villa fan, right?
What is his natural position? Mc or no10? I see him often on left wing but he doesn't strike me as a winger.
And do you think that his price will be lower if Villa goes down?

Thanks, mate.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Bruno should have cost us 300m such has his impact been on the side :lol:
Agreed haha, but you see the point. A relegated Villa player shouldn’t be costing the same as Bruno.
The biggest transfer fee paid to a championship side was 30 million pounds for Sissoko. If Villa go down in the current climate I don’t see Grealish going for a huge fee. I don’t know the first thing about economics though..
It would be ridiculous to pay much more than that for a relegation player.

BlahRules

I remember when Wijnaldum was at Newcastle and people thought he was an attacking midfielder. Joins Liverpool and is a midfielder.

Grealish is not a left winger or pure attacking midfielder, he is an 8. He will give us the creative depth we need in midfield.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
@FootballHQ , you are Villa fan, right?
What is his natural position? Mc or no10? I see him often on left wing but he doesn't strike me as a winger.
And do you think that his price will be lower if Villa goes down?

Thanks, mate.
Yeah he's a central player but with licence to drift out wide. We have played him a lot more out wide this year and his stats up to March were really good.

If we go down of course price will be lower but I'd still expect 40-50m given he's still young, English tax, has years left on his deal etc. What's probably against us getting anything more is he hasn't got any international caps yet.

People might think that's too much for a relegated player but 4 years ago Newcastle went down and sold Sissoko and Winijalndum for a combined 55m. Think Sissoko went for 30m in the end to Spurs.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yeah he's a central player but with licence to drift out wide. We have played him a lot more out wide this year and his stats up to March were really good.

If we go down of course price will be lower but I'd still expect 40-50m given he's still young, English tax, has years left on his deal etc. What's probably against us getting anything more is he hasn't got any international caps yet.

People might think that's too much for a relegated player but 4 years ago Newcastle went down and sold Sissoko and Winijalndum for a combined 55m. Think Sissoko went for 30m in the end to Spurs.
He’s been a central player in lower divisions but in the PL it’s been a free role from wide.

My concern would be that bringing in Sancho gives us our best XI with a great backup in attacking positions in Greenwood. Sancho can play the No10 role too that people are clamouring for depth with so if we’re looking for a No10 for depth for me it has to be someone who has played that role above all others. Grealish hasnt been able to do it in the PL as he needs the space to operate, you could argue in United he’d get more space or draw others away but I think that is a risk and combine it with his attitude I don’t see him as an attractive all round package.

I think his reputation isn’t the best after his lockdown drink driving, he’s never been called up for England (and there are better No10s coming through than him) and Villa need a miracle to not be relegated.

That combined should restrict his value to £35m really much more and were being taken on a merry ride, if he was a starter in our best XI I could understand but Bruno, Pogba and Rashford are comfortably better than him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Its funny most people don't want us to pay 120m for Sancho but most want us to pay 40m+ for Grealish. We would be spending 40m for Grealish to be a rotational player. With that price we would be breaking the transfer record in championship for a rotational player. And we would be doing all this in Covid Market. To me it looks as absurd as paying Dortmund 120m for Sancho. We would be spending 40m thereby breaking the transfer record for a championship player in Covid market to come and play rotation

RedTiger

Half mast
Frankly I couldn't give a shit about the transfer fee for a rotational player. The only thing that matters is what he'd bring in terms of squad depth and impact and in Grealish we'd get a hard worker who's proven in a midfield capacity.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If he could be got for ca 30 that’d be a great deal IMO.
If things doesn’t work out you can rely on Everton to give us 50 for him in two years time.
I’d agree as it would be value for money and would mitigate the risk of him being his dickish self. So id be disappointed that Ole didn’t stick to his “no arsehole” policy but I’d understand it.

I personally don’t want him at any cost by I know that I’m probably in the minority of people who cannot accept his lockdown behaviour especially when you contrast it with Rashford’s.

I bet that Arsenal would pay 30 mil at least for Smalling
Heck they’d probably even offer it for Jones at this rate!
Its funny most people don't want us to pay 120m for Sancho but most want us to pay 40m+ for Grealish. We would be spending 40m for Grealish to be a rotational player. With that price we would be breaking the transfer record in championship for a rotational player. And we would be doing all this in Covid Market. To me it looks as absurd as paying Dortmund 120m for Sancho. We would be spending 40m thereby breaking the transfer record for a championship player in Covid market to come and play rotation
I would sooner see £120m splurged on Sancho (who is about as guaranteed a starter as they come) than £40+ on Grealish. A £40m plus player should IMO answer a significant problem in the starting XI ideally, I understand depth is an issue but I also feel adding Sancho solves that somewhat and if anything a CM/AM then becomes more useful to us with the emergence of Greenwood on RW and James able to deputise on LW.

Grealish for me isn’t the kind of player you could sub Pogba out for, maybe Bruno but I’d argue now a DVB signing fits the depth need more.

Agree with everything you’ve said RE price. In the context of the player £40m+ is exuberant.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Frankly I couldn't give a shit about the transfer fee for a rotational player. The only thing that matters is what he'd bring in terms of squad depth and impact and in Grealish we'd get a hard worker who's proven in a midfield capacity.
He’s proven in the championship as a midfielder but in the Prem only as a wide player or free role player. That to me is a risk and one that needs consideration if a fee is substantial. It’s not an insignificant sum of money it’s a serious investment especially in a COVID market.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Hopefully you're one of those that don't care how much we spent on Maguire

Okey

100%. I just care if they're good or not.
I'm with you there. Big clubs never really get harmed financially from transfers that don't work out. They only regret what might have been on the pitch. A Fulham or Villa overspending and failing to stay up? Yes. Clubs like United will be fine. We need the right players, never mind the cost. Let the suits deal with that.

RedTiger

Half mast
I'm with you there. Big clubs never really get harmed financially from transfers that don't work out. They only regret what might have been on the pitch. A Fulham or Villa overspending and failing to stay up? Yes. Clubs like United will be fine. We need the right players, never mind the cost. Let the suits deal with that.
True. It's only really an issue for a big club if the fee hinders the purchase of other needed players but then clubs like ours earmark an upper figure for buys anyway.

Smithy89

Would take him in a heartbeat and adds quality, especially over the likes of Jesse, Andreas, Mata. Also a much better footballer than James and we need better quality in that front 3/4 when rotating needs to happen.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Albeit different players, statistically James looks to have a similar trajectory to Grealish numbers. Their minutes per goal ratio is similar already. I'm not sure people would be satisfied with Grealish as he seems a little bit wasteful in front of goal similar to James, and they both mostly base their game on winning free-kicks. We have Bruno and Greenwood to take them though, so I guess it's just fine and I would welcome it if the price is in line with what we paid for James. If it means we can't invest in more expensive transfers later, then paying say 40-50m for the likes of James, Grealish etc wouldn't be a good move.

RooneyLegend

Has a lot to work on, he's not ready for our club atm. He's all flash no substance at this point.

hobbers

Having watched him closely Villa's last three games... he's not good enough for us. Or at least nowhere near good enough to be starting in our current line up. Certainly not if Pogba is staying. We don't need to break the bank for an upgrade on backups like Mata/Lingard. There are plenty of far lower profile players who would be better buys than Grealish. Unless he'd be coming for a bargain basement fee.

dove

And maybe you should give at least some shit about the fees. For the quoted price of £40m-£50m, clubs usually sign players for starting XI, not for rotation. We got Bruno for that amount FFS and I am sure if we used our scouting network a bit we can find better players than Graelish. Paying £30m extra for nationality is plain stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.